Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

CeallaSo posted:

Dorter isn't as bad as I've heard it described, but Belias and the Riovanes Rooftop fight are pretty brutal. The former relies entirely on how you build Ramza, the latter relies on you bringing someone fast enough to go first in the turn order.

The former relies on knowing ahead of time to buy a Chameleon Robe and Float Boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, spend ten minutes yelling at yourself.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can grind random battles right? I've no problem with that if I happen to get stuck on a boss without some useful ability.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can but sometimes you don't get the option to go back and grind...
Also random battles scale to your level but it's fairly harsh scaling and you can end up making some enemies way too hard.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The scaling is pretty bad so you need to be pretty careful about which characters level up, at least in the beginning.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sounds like this might be an interesting run. I'll come back asking for tips when I get my rear end handed to me. (I actually got a Game Over in the 2nd fight of the entire game because the NPC just rushed to its death immediately)

My party is currently
Knight Ramza w/ Auto Potion (Planning to grab some Monk skills and then head to Ninja)
Knight (Monk/Samurai dude maybe)
Black Mage (picked this because I had problems with enemies ganging up on me)
Archer (Ninja eventually)

Everyone has JP boost since I heard its good and Item for Potion and Phoenix Down. I just cleared Bandits Den.

Edit: Finished Ramza's prologue. My black mage is currently my MVP. She almost single handedly won the last two boss fights.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 13, 2018

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Finath River can be very scary if you're been grinding and it rolls a bunch of red chocobos

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going purely by the name, what's the most true to name gameplay for a class called numerologist you can think of?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Master of Spanking Magic

e: One that knows Gil Toss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pretty much the Calculator, with a "translate unit names to numbers for targeting" aspect added in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You calculate the true value of the baddies monologue and input it and nothing happens.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Well, I guess that's one way to market Dissidia.

https://youtu.be/ToNkL-zWBbQ

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bruceski posted:

Pretty much the Calculator, with a "translate unit names to numbers for targeting" aspect added in.
Yeah, go full gematria and everything.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Renoistic posted:

"The reviews for our game are kinda negative. How can we spin that to make it look good?"

Not this way, marketing team. Definitely not this way.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

CeallaSo posted:

"The reviews for our game are kinda negative. How can we spin that to make it look good?"

I kind of like the trailer. The reviews are already out there, might as well capitalize on it in some way. I mean, I'm not going to play it but I'm sure this will bring someone in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Renoistic posted:

:lol:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, go full gematria and everything.

So I've coded a Turn-based RPG that has fully functional combat, save and load, and a combat that supports all the standard Turn RPG features. I finished coding in the two base classes (Enforcer and Rogue) and I have a few other classes already fully fleshed out, some of this is stuff I've been iterating over for a while now.

A friend of mine joked about introducing Numerologists and making it about "just doing really, really hard math". One of the concepts I have is that there are regular classes and exotic classes, the latter being an excuse to introduce really weird mechanics without worrying about balance and they come with a huge disclaimer telling you that they're gameplay-altering challenges, and I thought about that and the notion of a Numerologist class as an exotic class that is entirely based on you going full nerd with a big warning about that.

One of the jokes is adding a Supernova-like skill, but you know all the weird calculus that appears during the Supernova animation? Well if you get them wrong the comet just misses and goes very far away :v:. Hope you're ready to solve the three-body problem!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CeallaSo posted:

...Dunno, I'm a huge fan of any trailer that includes the quote "a beautiful mess". I might be the target market for this specific trailer despite never having Dissidia'd in my life.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

So I've coded a Turn-based RPG that has fully functional combat, save and load, and a combat that supports all the standard Turn RPG features. I finished coding in the two base classes (Enforcer and Rogue) and I have a few other classes already fully fleshed out, some of this is stuff I've been iterating over for a while now.

A friend of mine joked about introducing Numerologists and making it about "just doing really, really hard math". One of the concepts I have is that there are regular classes and exotic classes, the latter being an excuse to introduce really weird mechanics without worrying about balance and they come with a huge disclaimer telling you that they're gameplay-altering challenges, and I thought about that and the notion of a Numerologist class as an exotic class that is entirely based on you going full nerd with a big warning about that.

One of the jokes is adding a Supernova-like skill, but you know all the weird calculus that appears during the Supernova animation? Well if you get them wrong the comet just misses and goes very far away :v:. Hope you're ready to solve the three-body problem!

Just make numerologist do the Countdown numbers game, and the target number is possible damage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Just make numerologist do the Countdown numbers game, and the target number is possible damage.

You score a critical hit if it's numberwang.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You score a critical hit if it's numberwang.

gently caress it up and you get wangernumbed for huge debuffs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Renoistic posted:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Renoistic posted:

I hate this

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Renoistic posted:

The trailer probably isn't the smartest marketing but idk, it made me more interested in the game for sure

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I saw Dissidia for sale at Target for $20 and realized that it made me want to buy the game less if it degraded in value so quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It gatekeeps its story mode by making you do random battles to "earn" enough points to unlock it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tae posted:

It gatekeeps its story mode by making you do random battles to "earn" enough points to unlock it.

Isn't this pretty much what f zero gx did for it's story mode too?

Also, the less I engage with the dissidia story, the better off I feel

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Alright, thanks for the think tank, I thought this would be the place to ask :3:. The way the game works is that each class has a bunch of passive traits you can choose (like OO or FFIX) and you unlock them as you level up. There are ~20 skills/20 traits per class and you make a selection of them with your budget points. The Enforcer (tank/brute force damage) and Rogue (steal/debuffs/critical) already work pretty good in-game and are as straightforward as these classes can be, and I'm in the process of implementing the Hunter class which is also pretty straightforward, so I decided to think of the Numerologist paradigms. I came up with a few mechanics:

Gematria, Astrology, Ley Lines, Formula

You start with a skill called Ley Point which adds a debuff to an enemy that deals a random damage every turn. Whenever that enemy takes a direct hit the Ley Point rerolls its value. You can upgrade to have up to 4 Ley Points per enemy. Then a lot of skills deal with how Ley Points are laid out. One of the skill takes the ratio of the Ley Points and uses as coordinates in a Mandelbrot Set and deals damage based on whether it converges or diverges, and keeps stacking, so like a harder (and with a better payoff) version of FFXII's numerology skill. A more simpler skill deals damage based on how close its Ley Point values are to a Pythagorean Triplet, and some traits deal with them as well, and whether you choose to reroll them or not:

Tau Wau Wau - For each Pair of Ley Points whose values differ by one on an enemy, that enemy takes an additional (Tau * Your Level) extra damage from all sources.

As for Gematria, that was a pretty good suggestion. There are skills that use the single digit sum of the names, and skills that manipulate that value (or even add the Ley points to it). You can use Gematria to both add buffs or deal direct damage. Gematria and Ley Lines act as the means to deal damage/debuff, Astrology and the Formula skills act as a mean to buff. Some traits are pretty simple to use (although yes, I do intend to reword it), like this:

Stable Cadence - Whenever you hit an enemy you gain or lose up to 10 stacks of Stable Cadence based on the inverse of the ratio of the second derivative of your damage history to the absolute value of the hit damage. For each stack of Stable Cadence your hit damage is increased by your level/20.

Which would probably synergize well with a class like Berserk. You keep hitting and every hit deals more damage, as long as you don't crit. :v:

The Formula mechanics are thematically similar to the Arithmeticks from the Calculator, in which are based off you manipulating equations to do stuff. After I finish the Hunter class I'll release a prototype and work on implementing the Numerologist, and hopefully it'll be as unfathomably nerd as I envision it to be.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoy the core gameplay of the Dissidia games but the team MP focus of the new game killed all interest. If they released a HD Dissidia 2 I'd probably get it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The team MP is way better because it's not just "pick Ultimecia or gently caress off".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I do wish they also ported the PSP Dissidias, but eh, that's alright. The HUD looks pretty bad though - just a clusterfuck of bars and numbers and minimap.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 14, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They may have actually made the multiplayer not one-sided or whatever, but I never played the original dissidia games against a single person and the entire single player experience has been distilled into grinding trash matches with bad ai characters that you have to grind up to be useful in order to unlock what could charitably be called a youtube clip or maybe a couple matches before sending you back to the grind. And then you occasionally unlock a fight against a summon which... ugh. I went through one story line, figured the game wasn't for me and stopped.

The online fights I could get into were super fun, but also they took five minutes or more to setup half the time because looking for six people for a match in a niche fighting game takes forever, and I can't imagine how long you'd have to wait now.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tae posted:

The story was also a whole lot of people strolling through featureless plains having dull conversations. They refused to have fun with the concept.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Saving Mustadio in Zaland was my first bullshit fight in FFT.

An uphill battle on a fort occupied by two archers and two black mages who snipe your dudes one by one as you try to approach. Agrias and Mustado were completely useless.

So after 5 tries I stopped trying some elaborate strategy and just grinded until all my guys had Auto Potion. Made a huge difference.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hey guys, I'm playing through FFVII again for the umpteenth time and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good guide for the game. I'm using the Brady guide that was re-released and it's still just the old guide from the original PS1 release, not even the revised version they put out with the original PC release. It's still missing lots of info and feels pretty bare bones.

The various wikis I've looked also seem to be pretty sparse on info and missing out on lots of side stuff that even I'm aware of. Is there a comprehensive guide or at least list of easily missable side stuff?

Also, does the current steam version of FFVII have any QOL or other mods that are worth downloading?

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 14, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing through FFVII again for the umpteenth time and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good guide for the game. I'm using the Brady guide that was re-released and it's still just the old guide from the original PS1 release, not even the revised version they put out with the original PC release. It's still missing lots of info and feels pretty bare bones.

The various wikis I've looked also seem to be pretty sparse on info and missing out on lots of side stuff that even I'm aware of. Is there a comprehensive guide or at least list of easily missable side stuff?

Also, does the current steam version of FFVII have any QOL or other mods that are worth downloading?

There really isn't that much in terms of missable side stuff as far as I can remember. There's the Turtle's Paradise flyer in Sector 7, Aeris' Level 4 Limit, Honeybee Inn and the Fort Condor fights but I can't think of anything else which you couldn't just go back and do eventually if you missed it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFavxCmZbjg

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FanaticalMilk posted:

This guide looks good and has a missable items section - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs/71240

It's pretty recent and looks complete, I'd be surprised if it wasn't comprehensive

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok im 70 hours in and got the big sword from costlemark tower i guess i should go get on the boat or whatever right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, do that. You can return later.