Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Wow that's their third pre-order for the game. The first two sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got a 4p game of Infamous Traffic in last night. Game was insanely good, fun to play with some heated negotiation and really good theme. I'd like to see how the strategy shakes out with repeated play. I won (largely because no one remembered to cut my leader bonus) by going heavy into opium supply, second place seemed to be doing all right with just merchants. One player got kinda cut out because he didn't really get it until a turn in but he wasn't vindictive enough (and the conspiracies weren't mean enough) to just burn down everything. It does seem like a fourth player is going to be a bit out of the loop if he can't keep up with leader bonuses.

Final pic:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

C&C Ancients was no joke 3x the work compared to punching Antiquity. ~680 stickers to be applied front and back. Better be worth it!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Bet you'll play it once and never again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Played a few rounds of Welcome To this weekend, and it's a really fun little flip and write puzzle. It really ramps up quickly into a tense game of planning and swearing as an 8 with a Pool is flipped over and god damnit I can't put an 8 there but I want that pool and ahhh. Even for a game with no real player interaction it was always easy to look over at other players and get an idea for where they're at. It plays quickly, it's really easy to teach, and it's a lot of fun. I could play it over and over. Also, being able to accommodate any number of player and still have rounds only be 30-40 seconds is great.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

C&C Ancients was no joke 3x the work compared to punching Antiquity. ~680 stickers to be applied front and back. Better be worth it!

This but Napoleonics. Really should pick up similar style compartmentalized box for the blocks, ton of small plastic bags ain't optimal and most importantly, not aesthetic!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Need a classy wooden insert for wooden blocks.

Someone make a wooden insert for Napoleon’s Triumph please.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lunsku posted:

This but Napoleonics. Really should pick up similar style compartmentalized box for the blocks, ton of small plastic bags ain't optimal and most importantly, not aesthetic!

I have a Plano filled with the more commonly used C&C:N blocks, but most of them are still in the giant bag. I don't know what size to get that's big enough to be useful but small enough to fit in the box (this may not exist).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone got a link to those little individual plastic storage bins? Getting annoyed sorting all the Agricola bits.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got in a 9 player game of Mega Civ this weekend. From start to finish it took about 12+ hours, mostly because of various small breaks and pausing for dinner. Five people were completely new and the rest of us have played before but have limited experience (1-3 games under the belt). Everyone had a great time but the players who were not doing well by the end had checked out and it was kind of unfun for them to just watch people fly ahead to foregone conclusions.

Still a tremendous game and an experience for sure. My only issue is that the joy of the first half of the game becomes a little diminished when you start buying techs by the boatload and it doesn't feel as special. I think next time I try something like this I would try to split things in two but I foresee problems with trying to get excitement levels back to where they were if you stop halfway or 2/3 of the way through. That said, with more experience people would feel less out of it and there would be more opportunities to actively sabotage leaders.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

How much interest would there be in a PBF game of John Company, and what sort of considerations should be made for the PBF format? I’m thinking that a Discord should be suitable for negotiations, but all trades should be documented in-thread by at least one of the parties.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

!Klams posted:

So, my work buddies expressed an interest in playing board games, but meant stuff like Game of life and mousetrap. They know I'm a board game nerd, and are tentatively open to new games, but semi reluctantly. Part of the charm for them seems to be the nostalgia. I get the vibe that the enjoyment from the two mentioned was more the 'experience generator' aspect, and the 'its cute putting pegs in the car / building the trap' physicality of it. We work in tech, so could imagine something engine-buildery going down well. Anyone got any good ideas for what I could drop that would be an easy sell?

Wits & Wagers, Onitama, Click Clack Lumberjack, The Climbers, Meeple Circus, Junk Art, Mars Open: Tabletop Golf, Santorini, Mesozooic, Tokyo Highway, Dixit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Got in a 9 player game of Mega Civ this weekend. From start to finish it took about 12+ hours, mostly because of various small breaks and pausing for dinner. Five people were completely new and the rest of us have played before but have limited experience (1-3 games under the belt). Everyone had a great time but the players who were not doing well by the end had checked out and it was kind of unfun for them to just watch people fly ahead to foregone conclusions.

Still a tremendous game and an experience for sure. My only issue is that the joy of the first half of the game becomes a little diminished when you start buying techs by the boatload and it doesn't feel as special. I think next time I try something like this I would try to split things in two but I foresee problems with trying to get excitement levels back to where they were if you stop halfway or 2/3 of the way through. That said, with more experience people would feel less out of it and there would be more opportunities to actively sabotage leaders.

That's amazing. I'm still organizing my first game of mega civ because I want to make it big instead of accepting a small 5-6 player short game I can do almost any weekend. :negative:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Triskelli posted:

How much interest would there be in a PBF game of John Company, and what sort of considerations should be made for the PBF format? I’m thinking that a Discord should be suitable for negotiations, but all trades should be documented in-thread by at least one of the parties.

I am very interested.

With trades, I suggest all trades need to be posted in the thread by one party, and all the other parties need to quote it and post agreed or whatever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I am very interested.

With trades, I suggest all trades need to be posted in the thread by one party, and all the other parties need to quote it and post agreed or whatever.

I would also be super interested.

I think I’ll get a live game in 3 weeks. Very excited.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Triskelli posted:

I am all about that saucy motherfucker. Put me in coach.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I am very interested.

Gutter Owl posted:

I am all about that saucy motherfucker. Put me in coach.

Jordan7hm posted:

I would also be super interested.

That's enough to start prepping! It doesn't look like there's a Vassal module for this game, so I might have to go with photos of the board.

e: Looking for an appropriate quote from George Orwell's Shooting the Elephant. "Let's Play John Company: A Long Struggle Not To Be Laughed At"?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 16, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd probably hop in

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Can I suggest just using the default setup for JC btw? Though happy to play the 10 turn game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Someone give me an exhaustive compare/contrast of all the dicey Euros that have come out in the past three years or so: Grand Austria/Rajas/Pulsar/Lorenzo

GO

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

Someone give me an exhaustive compare/contrast of all the dicey Euros that have come out in the past three years or so: Grand Austria/Rajas/Pulsar/Lorenzo

GO

I only played GAH and Pulsar 2849. GAH is too tight to be a good dice game; you can get hosed out far too easily by chance and by seating order. Pulsar 2849 I thought was OK, but I won without really being sure how.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Gah also loops the score track at like, 48 points or something.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

That's amazing. I'm still organizing my first game of mega civ because I want to make it big instead of accepting a small 5-6 player short game I can do almost any weekend. :negative:

Especially as the 10 credits in all colors you start with in 5p can snowball out of control. The last time we played Mega Civ with 5 players, I ended up with 181 points, so at least 87 had to be from tech, and probably more than 90. The 5 credits in 6p and 12p seem to be fine though, if you do ever having a 5p game I'd suggest you only give 5 credits.

Also you probably know this already, but it's easier to keep track of the AST and census on a spreadsheet than on the boards. Less tablespace used and you can easily sort the census for turn order instead of having to remember who has military. Though you do need a large enough screen that everyone can see it, of course. We've also started putting the results of each game in another spreadsheet, which is much easier if you already have everyone's total points on the AST. There's also a tech app posted in the BGG forums that's really convenient, especially since you don't need to keep track of your tech discounts yourself. Also some bigger suite of management software but we've never tried that.

Lastly, just to twist the knife, we also had a 8 player game on Saturday, which was my 12th game that we've recorded, probably 16th total or so.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks to the Race for the Galaxy AI and app, I'm getting slightly better at the game. To those who've played a lot of RftG, how do you like the Brink of War expansion? It seems like placing some early prestige-generating cards gives you a great advantage, and I wonder if this is kind of unbalanced.

Not trying to dredge up the old "is Race random or what?" argument, just wondering about takes on this particular expansion.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thanks to the Race for the Galaxy AI and app, I'm getting slightly better at the game. To those who've played a lot of RftG, how do you like the Brink of War expansion? It seems like placing some early prestige-generating cards gives you a great advantage, and I wonder if this is kind of unbalanced.

Not trying to dredge up the old "is Race random or what?" argument, just wondering about takes on this particular expansion.

That was always my impression and I always disliked Brink for that reason. Prestige was also really fiddly to handle in person.

On the other hand, it includes the death star. We always played it with the prestige mechanics stripped out but I suspect the app doesn't allow that.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah like Staltran was saying there are a few ways to speed things up a bit and reduce some of the administration, but I would focus on A) using the normal AST track, not the expert one and B) set a brisk time for trades. We started with four minutes and then moved up to five after people had larger hand sizes.

Even though we were exhausted by the end everyone was asking about when we could organise another one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
woooo just got the shipping notice for The Estates

also the Ganz Schon Clever online implementation is a fun time waster but it's led me down the rabbit hole of what a perfect score is: https://www.schmidtspiele.de/static/onlinespiele/ganz-schoen-clever/ (334 in solo apparently according to https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1975758/maximum-score) I can't break 297.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

GO

Like but not four player
Neutral, got tired of it after a few plays
Jury is still out, my friends assure me it’s a good game so will continue to play it
Favorite by far of all of these

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
cool, Lorenzo/Pulsar were the two I was leaning towards. Have you tried the Lorenzo expansion that gets it to 5p?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

cool, Lorenzo/Pulsar were the two I was leaning towards. Have you tried the Lorenzo expansion that gets it to 5p?

Yes and it’s good as well, noting I haven’t played five player. But we like the expansion overall.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

woooo just got the shipping notice for The Estates

Lol I had just gotten Endeavor last week (already played 4x) and now it’s estates and Stephenson’s rocket coming in.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol I had just gotten Endeavor last week (already played 4x) and now it’s estates and Stephenson’s rocket coming in.

Oh christ, that means I'll have Endeavour, Montana, Rocket, and Estates sitting there. It's going to be a busy weekend.

Are you in Canada, Chill? If you're in Southern Ontario you should try and make it to one of our Mega Civ games...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Rajas was a cool game, but I didn't really feel much from it besides the pretty art and such. Nothing really new in its mechanics that I didn't see better elsewhere. Just a really standard dice-placement euro.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Oh christ, that means I'll have Endeavour, Montana, Rocket, and Estates sitting there. It's going to be a busy weekend.

Are you in Canada, Chill? If you're in Southern Ontario you should try and make it to one of our Mega Civ games...

Yeah I’ve been preemptively clearing shelf space but it’s still a lot. I’m not in Canada but I know the General is if you’re looking for more. Idk about his exact whereabouts though

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I’ve been preemptively clearing shelf space but it’s still a lot. I’m not in Canada but I know the General is if you’re looking for more. Idk about his exact whereabouts though

No worries, just wondering.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Spirit Island expansion kickstarter is live and I'm in the weird position of not wanting to jump on board?

It's the first decently-sized kickstarter I've seen in YEARS not offer EU friendly shipping, and the whole idea of getting a VAT bill after having paid $15 for shipping in the first place is kinda unattractive. On top of that there's all the vagueness they've built in for when Brexit inevitably screws everything up that just means I'm wary of getting stung.

They'd also hinted on BGG about a "solution" for people that will want to store it all in one box. Naturally I assumed that would be a large box a bit like Stonemaier did with Scythe or Mindclash recently did with the Trickerion expansion. Instead it's just a discount on a Broken Token insert that means you can't actually get the lid right onto the box anymore. Yay?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Spirit Island expansion kickstarter is live and I'm in the weird position of not wanting to jump on board?

It's the first decently-sized kickstarter I've seen in YEARS not offer EU friendly shipping, and the whole idea of getting a VAT bill after having paid $15 for shipping in the first place is kinda unattractive. On top of that there's all the vagueness they've built in for when Brexit inevitably screws everything up that just means I'm wary of getting stung.

They'd also hinted on BGG about a "solution" for people that will want to store it all in one box. Naturally I assumed that would be a large box a bit like Stonemaier did with Scythe or Mindclash recently did with the Trickerion expansion. Instead it's just a discount on a Broken Token insert that means you can't actually get the lid right onto the box anymore. Yay?

A 'mere' 34mm of rise with the broken token insert with everything in the main box. That's like 1 3/8". Just make a bigger box GTG, we'll pay for itttttttttt

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
To be honest it's kind of the least well-priced kickstarter I've seen. The jump from "just the expansion" to "Expansion +" is huge. The only reason to kickstart this is to guarantee you get the promos and because the game still has supply issues.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

A 'mere' 34mm of rise with the broken token insert with everything in the main box. That's like 1 3/8". Just make a bigger box GTG, we'll pay for itttttttttt

They're going to "hear the desires of players" and make another kickstarter with a big collector's box to fit everything in. I do like the trend of optional giant collector's boxes for games like scythe, bacon, etc. but it's funny to see an insert for a game that effectively doubles the size of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I laughed at them in the past but I would absolutely pay for a bigger box for SI + expansions and the inevitable trunk I’ll need to fit AFFO in one box with all the expansions.