Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the battleship IS the point you imbeciles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I put googly eyes on my tank destroyer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If early modern people had access to googly eyes, what *wouldn't* they have put them on

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

It's always fun to try and explain to people who grew up watching the Hitler Channel how the Soviets post-1943 (give or take) were actually extremely loving good at modern combined arms warfare.

i really would to like more about this, i just watched blood on the snow and i think the red army was loving badass

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_RunwNoKUw

Before I believe in this, is this accurate? What's the difference between the sword he's holding and the one on his hip? Is "full harness" just synonymous with "suit of armor" or is it more?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FAUXTON posted:

They vandalized it as much as a wreath vandalizes the tomb of the unknown soldier jfc

Some villages and towns have a pretty modern simplified memorial of a 1st World Soldier silhouette thing statue thingy, usually placed around bus stops or public parks for the coming 100th anniversary. Some tossers decapitated one up country a few weeks back. That is pretty much the polar opposite of googly eyes now.

Every now and then we get some idiot who decides a war memorial is great place to relieve themselves. Trust me on this, embrace the silly googly eyes and the odd condom. Things can be much more horrible.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Say what you will about the USSR, some of their memorials were pretty metal:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gently caress yeah!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

I put googly eyes on my tank destroyer

Tanks of the 4th Royal Tank Regiment already had googly eyes painted on the sides.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some villages and towns have a pretty modern simplified memorial of a 1st World Soldier silhouette thing statue thingy, usually placed around bus stops or public parks for the coming 100th anniversary. Some tossers decapitated one up country a few weeks back. That is pretty much the polar opposite of googly eyes now.

Every now and then we get some idiot who decides a war memorial is great place to relieve themselves. Trust me on this, embrace the silly googly eyes and the odd condom. Things can be much more horrible.

what say i do donuts in a lovely american muscle car round your war memorial?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tanks of the 4th Royal Tank Regiment already had googly eyes painted on the sides.

It is a well documented fact that due to the placement of their eyes WWI tanks could not see in three dimensions and were incapable of finding their way home.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

what say i do donuts in a lovely american muscle car round your war memorial?

Feel free to drive around London to try it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

To frighten predators?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To unsettle or confuse the German soldiers that have that eye related phobia. Or just for laughs really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The greeks put eyes on their triremes so they could see where they were going.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Speaking of metal war memorials, Hun Tiep Lake in Hanoi:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Why Jagdpanthers? Why did the Nazis feel the need to make a shittier turretless Panther in order to accommodate a even bigger AT gun, when the gun on the Panther was already a specialized AT gun that could handle basically any Allied tank?

The trivial answer is "nazis are dumb", but is there more to it than that?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

This is always a good answer.

But, yes, "here's how to put an 88 on an existing hull" was the answer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Why Jagdpanthers? Why did the Nazis feel the need to make a shittier turretless Panther in order to accommodate a even bigger AT gun, when the gun on the Panther was already a specialized AT gun that could handle basically any Allied tank?

Bear in mind 'Allied tank' includes the Soviets. It wasn't Shermans the Germans were worrying about so much as things like the IS-2.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hitler liked the idea. The design was shown to him on his birthday, and he took a personal role in naming the tank. See also his personal interest in the Jagdtiger.

The IS2 didn't exist when the Jagdpanther was being designed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

The jagdpanther was a pretty well thought out piece of kit that fit an operational need very well. It was at its best engaging enemy armor at standoff distances from positions of concealment, which is a very useful capability to have when you're fighting constant retrograde operations and you've got roughly one zillion enemy tanks coming at you from every direction, plus constant artillery and air attack punishing every soft skinned vehicle.

On the other hand germans r dum

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Here's a video I randomly encountered on Youtube of a parade of British WWI military vehicles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMITokuHN4

There's some internal combustion engine powered early jeeps and trucks in there, but a lot of prime movers are basically just steam trains that somebody put road wheels on.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The IS-2 didn't exist, but this did:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fangz posted:

Hitler liked the idea. The design was shown to him on his birthday, and he took a personal role in naming the tank. See also his personal interest in the Jagdtiger.

I'm positive this is the reason Nazi tanks generally look cooler than every other nation's.

Make your tank look cooler than the competition and the Fuhrer will select it over their entry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geisladisk posted:

They already had the chassis and needed something that didn't cost as much. Turns out, a turret is a pretty big expense.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

The IS2 didn't exist when the Jagdpanther was being designed.

Sure. They knew something like it was coming, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

The IS-2 didn't exist, but this did:

Yes, but the Panther's (and the Stug's) 75mm can deal with that fine. It might make sense as a 'what if they put out even heavier tanks' contingency plan to be plotting these 88 and 128mm tank destroyers in 1942 (see e.g. the T-34 57), but to go into production?

I mean the real problem with the Jagdpanther isn't that it's not better than a Panther (it's a quite different beast), it's that it doesn't offer much over a Stug.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The idea behind all of the German tank destroyers is that they were cheaper and faster to manufacture than the comparable tanks, and for a lot of roles the cost savings more than offset the reduced capability. This only became more true as the Wehrmacht was put on the defensive, where the shortcomings of the concept had less impact. The bigger gun in relation to the comparative tank is part of how this was accomplished - it offset other capability loss, so that bit makes sense in the broader concept.

The Jagdpanther in particular actually was more reliable than the Panther, since they included a heavier duty transmission and upgraded final drive. It was a pretty significant upgrade over the Stug III and Jadgpanzer IV (that, by the way, is the real crappy one) in terms of power-to-weight, armor, and armament as well. So on paper its pretty attractive.

In practice, the Stug III was probably still sufficient for the purposes the concept was best used for, and diverting resources away from Panther production was almost certainly a net negative.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

How hard is it to use long swords or axes in a shield wall?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

Yes, but the Panther's (and the Stug's) 75mm can deal with that fine. It might make sense as a 'what if they put out even heavier tanks' contingency plan to be plotting these 88 and 128mm tank destroyers in 1942 (see e.g. the T-34 57), but to go into production?

Sure, why not? They've got Panther hulls, and they've got 88mm guns. Why not use them to make a vehicle that's cheaper than a Tiger but just as good at shooting things?

(Edit: I see Jobbo and Gorbash beat me to it here.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I mean the real problem with the Jagdpanther isn't that it's not better than a Panther (it's a quite different beast), it's that it doesn't offer much over a Stug.

I have no idea how to compare cost and production efficiency and all that but that gun was a massive upgrade over the Stugs. Power-at-range is a really, really big deal when you're trying to stand off against threat armor.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
They already had the Nashorn which worked fine, but its armour was barely bulletproof. You couldn't put any more weight on the PzIV chassis without it making GBS threads itself, hence the upgrade to the Panther.

As a continuation of an existing line of tank destroyers rather than something that came out of a vacuum the Jagdpanther makes sense.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

Sure, why not? They've got Panther hulls, and they've got 88mm guns. Why not use them to make a vehicle that's cheaper than a Tiger but just as good at shooting things?

(Edit: I see Jobbo and Gorbash beat me to it here.)

They didn't just magic the jagdpanther into existence. They had to retool substantial manufacturing effort and pull tank crew into the factory to produce the jagdpanther.

quote:

The first Jagdpanther meant for service was delivered in December 1943, with production increasing to 10 tanks per month in April 1944. Delays in production were mainly due to improvements being implemented. Strengthened gearboxes and intermediate gears were installed. Jagdpanther production was also slowed down due to bombing raids and lack of workmen. By the end of June 1944, only 46 of the tanks had left the factory floors, barely enough to equip one Schwerer Panzerjäger unit. This was far from the original 160 planned vehicles, which would have been enough to equip 3 units and have some left for testing and training.

The MIAG firm complained about the lack of workmen, and as such was sent 320 men from the Panzerjäger replacement unit. This managed to boost production to 20 tanks a month in September 1944. Neither the OKW, nor the Heeresamt were happy with the production numbers and, as a result, two other companies, MHN & MBA, were contracted to produce the Jagdpanther. This increased the total output to 67 tanks for December 1944.

When there's a war on and your vehicle turns out to be 4x harder to produce than promised, kill the project. Don't pull manpower and manufacturing capacity from everything else.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 16, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Jagdpanther also makes more sense because the Panther was going to be their main 'medium' tank going forward whereas the production of Pz III (and later Pz IV) hulls were being phased out.

Now the JagdTiger...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
shut up you fuckig nerds
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Cedar-Falls-thumb-severed-by-sword-leads-to-criminal-charges-497621881.html

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

But was the sword made of hanzo steel?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey dude - hold this stick and I'll show you something awesome!

Okay - now make sure you and your girlfriend don't move a muscle.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

When there's a war on and your vehicle turns out to be 4x harder to produce than promised, kill the project. Don't pull manpower and manufacturing capacity from everything else.

We're talking about WWII Germans, right?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Anybody know if "The Norman Conquest" by Marc Morris is any good? There's a Kindle sale for $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cessna posted:

We're talking about WWII Germans, right?

Nazis are dumb. QED