Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pfft, looks like someone has green socks*!

*green socks is an amazing burn and in this case delivered amazingly well because in The Book Barn green socks refers to a man that has no appreciation for music and therefore can not understand it or it's meaning

In Taiwanese culture, wearing a green hat makes you a cuck!

Green apparel is multilayered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Man...when did the world hate green colored clothing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I blame Robin Hood.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
At least I'm not getting pinched on Saint Patty's.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I demand satisfaction!

You won't find it in the rothfuss thread or books.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If Jivjov charged Patreon money for posts in this thread, I would be ponying up every month to have him back.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If Jivjov charged Patreon money for posts in this thread, I would be ponying up every month to have him back.

Shhhh let him go back to writing the third book.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Rothfuss posted:

Book 3 will complicate the overall Kingkiller Chronicle even more. �There are things in Name of the Wind you can�t understand until you�ve read Wise Man�s Fear. There�s things in both of those books you won�t be able to understand until you read Doors of Stone,� Rothfuss said. �That�s the way I wrote them very deliberately, and it makes for a very long-lasting reading experience. If you read my books only once, you kind of miss most of them.�

Wow. Amaze us with your wonderfully new storytelling techniques.

Though I can't say that that's particularly the case, I don't remember anything beyond "poo poo that just has no explanation whatsoever finally being explained".

Rothfuss posted:

But more than details from the series, the movie, or Book 3, fans seemed to want to know how Rothfuss worked, how he pushed forward on such a complex project. For Rothfuss, it all came down to mental health, which is just as important to a writer as tools are to a carpenter. �Therapy. Everyone should go to therapy,� he said. �You would have Book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.�

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

Wow. Amaze us with your wonderfully new storytelling techniques.

Though I can't say that that's particularly the case, I don't remember anything beyond "poo poo that just has no explanation whatsoever finally being explained".

Gee, like the weird spider creatures that Kote fought off, or the fact his name is Kote, or why Bast is hanging around, or why he's called Kingkiller, or why he nearly threw a fit when the archivist mentioned 'the woman', or why he can't open that box of his?

I get the ego of success, but writing in things you plan to explain the how/why later is not some new invention.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

Gee, like the weird spider creatures that Kote fought off, or the fact his name is Kote, or why Bast is hanging around, or why he's called Kingkiller, or why he nearly threw a fit when the archivist mentioned 'the woman', or why he can't open that box of his?

I get the ego of success, but writing in things you plan to explain the how/why later is not some new invention.

Obviously the chest has Denna's still beating 'heart,' which is actually a collection of gears and pulleys because she's a poorly crafted automaton hidden by a thin veneer of humanity.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm glad he got the help he needed to sort himself out mentally.

I still wish we got that third book by now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

I'm glad he got the help he needed to sort himself out mentally.

I still wish we got that third book by now.

He's done with it. Just editing it to perfection. I'm sure he wants it to be just as concise and straight forward as Wise Man's Fear. These things take time.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

“You would have book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.”

So we’re guaranteed to see book 3 by 2028 is what he’s saying. We’ll see...

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Everyone listen up, I've invented a new literary technique I like to call "before-shading"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

latinotwink1997 posted:

“You would have book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.”

Funny, I thought he finished all three books 20 years ago.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wonder if when the first book was published he actually gave the publisher drafts of all 3 and if this waiting is just while he tries to make it better because maybe the draft was weak. But that doesn't explain how the pacing can be so bad in the first 2. Or did he just tell the publisher that he had drafts of all 3 books before getting published when he only had very basic outlines or less?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ccs posted:

I wonder if when the first book was published he actually gave the publisher drafts of all 3 and if this waiting is just while he tries to make it better because maybe the draft was weak. But that doesn't explain how the pacing can be so bad in the first 2. Or did he just tell the publisher that he had drafts of all 3 books before getting published when he only had very basic outlines or less?

The entire story was allegedly one draft he submitted to a publisher. The publisher loved it so much they wanted it split it into 3 books. That was 12 years ago. This was told by the same person who said the pizza delivery guy recognized his stick game and gushed over how great it was.

It's more likely its like a "Frank Herbert left tons of notes, partial drafts etc." that Brian Herbert told the world when he and Kevin J Anderson started making GBS threads out a bunch of Dune novels but in reality it didn't really exist. Whatever Rothfuss has in 2005 was probably poo poo and since then he's just been stroking his own ego, basking in his "true author" nerd cred, and taking any opportunity he can to join Kickstarter campaigns as a featured writer.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

The entire story was allegedly one draft he submitted to a publisher. The publisher loved it so much they wanted it split it into 3 books. That was 12 years ago. This was told by the same person who said the pizza delivery guy recognized his stick game and gushed over how great it was.

It's more likely its like a "Frank Herbert left tons of notes, partial drafts etc." that Brian Herbert told the world when he and Kevin J Anderson started making GBS threads out a bunch of Dune novels but in reality it didn't really exist. Whatever Rothfuss has in 2005 was probably poo poo and since then he's just been stroking his own ego, basking in his "true author" nerd cred, and taking any opportunity he can to join Kickstarter campaigns as a featured writer.

Various stuff has more or less confirmed this. Like he at one point vague admitted that the draft he submitted was uh... a loving lie or something. Like his 'draft' of the third book was mostly empty and just had 'Ambrose does something here'. So probably the stor of the publisher loving 'the entire story' that was submitted as 'one draft' was probably nonsense. It kind of comes off as nepotism, because I dunno any publishing house that would handle Rothfuss's nonsense pre-fame. Maybe he knew someone who worked there, like Paolini.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Speaking of Paolini, have you pre-ordered the new Eragon book yet?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wrangling with suppliers! Exactly the kind of wondrous storytelling I like in my fantasy.

Also, Alagaesia is a very stupid name.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Alagaësia, however, is very cool.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That sounds like a hilarious disaster.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Alagaësia, however, is very cool.

That's the protagonist of Prince of Nothing, right? Alagaesïc Kullhouse.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Alagaësia - because your graphic case of genital herpes shouldn't slow you down, or keep you from leading the life you want to lead.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Check out the table of contents of this C++ language proposal: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p1152r0.html

quote:

Table of Contents
1 Abstract
2 A Syntax of Three Parts
3 The Wise Programmer’s Fear
3.1 Overview
3.2 Proposed changes
3.3 When is volatile useful?
3.4 How we got here
3.4.1 Original intent for volatile in C
3.4.2 C89 intent
3.4.3 Intent in C++
3.5 Current Wording
3.6 Why the proposed changes?
3.6.1 External modification
3.6.2 Compound assignment
3.6.3 volatile qualified member functions
3.6.4 volatile overloads in the Library
3.6.5 volatile atomic
3.6.6 volatile parameters and returns
4 The Slow Regard of Syntactic Things
5 The Doors of Stone
6 Acknowledgements
7 Examples
References
Informative References
Issues Index

EDIT: oh god, it's also in the actual text of the proposal.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 16, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wow, the use of dumb pop culture should insta-decline that proposal.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Geezeus that Paolini cover is bad. Not just Baen books bad, which is a matter of taste, but functionally and objectively bad, like an Amazon self-pub you got your sister to draw on her intuos tablet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Analgesia? Will it fix my back pain and put me to sleep?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like that cover a bit more than the Eragon covers with their big goofy unappealing dragon faces.

What a confusing title though.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
INCLUDES FOUR NEW PIECES OF ORIGINAL ART BY THE AUTHOR

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He has the unflinching self confidence that can only be achieved through home schooling.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Ccs posted:

He has the unflinching self confidence that can only be achieved through home schooling.

For real though, you can tell when someone is home schooled. The gaps in their social awareness are incredible to witness.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I feel kinda bad for Paolini for lucking into a a publishing deal and a movie and a video game and all that junk with something he came up with as a kid. I'm sure it pays the bills, but if I had to write four best-selling novels' worth of any of the poo poo I thought was cool when I was 15, I'd have blown my brains out by now. It's practically become his whole life.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 17, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I feel bad for Paolini for lucking into a a publishing deal and a movie and a video game and all that junk with something he came up with as a kid. I'm sure it pays the bills, but if I had to write four best-selling novels' worth of any of the poo poo I thought was cool when I was 15, I'd have blown my brains out by now. It's practically become his whole life.

I don't think he's self aware enough to feel bad about things like that.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I dont feel bad for the guy who made boatloads of money from his stupid fantasy books personally

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Fair points.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

also iirc he didn't luck into it, his parents were publishing industry bigwigs or something like that

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Having parents who can publish your book is pretty drat lucky.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m not sure about bigwigs. They had a tiny publishing company that had only published 3 other books. Then the author did a ton of legwork going around to schools dressed as a medieval character and reading excerpts of his book. Which is another thing only a homeschooler could have the confidence to do. This eventually got him noticed by famous author whose kid liked the book and then it was republished by an actual major publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I feel kinda bad for Paolini for lucking into a a publishing deal and a movie and a video game and all that junk with something he came up with as a kid. I'm sure it pays the bills, but if I had to write four best-selling novels' worth of any of the poo poo I thought was cool when I was 15, I'd have blown my brains out by now. It's practically become his whole life.

When I was fifteen what did I think was cool?

Tolkien, star trek, AD&D, RPG video games, Wing Commander: Privateer . . .

Apparently I would have written Ready Player One