Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Warframe adding an option to automate clicking on a fraction of the zillion bits and bobs it uses to keep that serotonin drip going and obfuscate the value of real-world money in microtransactions and being showered in praise for it by players is a pretty good illustration of how bad the free-to-play cruft is even in a game that is defended as "one of the good ones"

https://twitter.com/PabloPoon/status/1051852406223511552?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Everyone who talks about Warframe sounds completely insane or at least like they're making up all the systems and currencies, and I say this as a Destiny player

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

So I'm playing the first Witcher game, and I feel like I'm getting my $1.50 worth, but I could've done without the dead prostitute mixed in with the sewage in the sewers:

Edit: Yes, it looks exactly like all of the generic "Hooker" NPCs in the game.

Witcher series is lowkey one of the grossest out there w/r/t women. We all remember it for the nekkid lady trading cards, I remember it for virtually every major female character bar Ciri being a manipulative sexpot that leads men by the nose with their literally magic feminine wiles. I assume this is more on the original author of the stories and less on CDPR, to him there's just one type of woman in fantasy worth writing about and drat it he's going to write the same woman several times over.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Deified Data posted:

I assume this is more on the original author of the stories and less on CDPR

Yes.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
CDP deviate enough from the source material when it suits them. Don't excuse their shittiness just because of someone else's.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They’re polish, they can’t help it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I get the feeling the lady trading cards were not in the original novels, at least they weren't in the ones I read lol. That particular complaint just seems easy to place at the feet of Sapkowski, though it was always within CDPR's power to avoid it and they chose not to. Not that they aren't capable of making progress in ways that Sapkowski probably isn't.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Witcher series is lowkey one of the grossest out there w/r/t women. We all remember it for the nekkid lady trading cards, I remember it for virtually every major female character bar Ciri being a manipulative sexpot that leads men by the nose with their literally magic feminine wiles. I assume this is more on the original author of the stories and less on CDPR, to him there's just one type of woman in fantasy worth writing about and drat it he's going to write the same woman several times over.

Yeah, that particular thing comes directly from the writer. He made a point of explaining that all female sorceresses were noble daughters too ugly to be married off, so their families sold them off to the mages instead. As a result they're supposedly all spiteful and ugly on the inside, even after magicking themselves to look pretty.

Welcome to fantasy genre fiction. It's all terrible and hosed up!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Not even lowkey gross, witcher 1 is pretty explicitly loving terrible about women. I remember reading a blog post that documented so many examples from the game focusing on all the women with Collectible Sex Cards (lol) and it felt like the game had to be self-aware satire but it really wasn’t, it played it 100% straight.

Witcher 2 was enough of an improvement that I could barely tolerate playing it, but there was still a lot of eye rolly poo poo that made it hard to take seriously. If you want the player to accept your “game for adults” as an actual mature product, maybe treat them like an adult instead of like a horny 15-year old boy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Everyone who talks about Warframe sounds completely insane or at least like they're making up all the systems and currencies, and I say this as a Destiny player

I tried Warframe for an hour got to the main hub, saw ten trillion things I seemingly had to pay for, then deleted it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Fantasy authors tend to be notoriously regressive regarding women and non-whites so that's just business as usual.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried Warframe for an hour got to the main hub, saw ten trillion things I seemingly had to pay for, then deleted it.

The worst part is that a very large amount of that stuff you don't have to pay for. If it affects gameplay, you can get it with grinding and resources. This makes the whole market extra bad because pretty much everything there is overpriced and it's one of the first few things a newbie sees.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm still waiting for a Discworld RPG. RIP.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Safeword posted:

CDP deviate enough from the source material when it suits them. Don't excuse their shittiness just because of someone else's.

I can't really put the blame at CDPR's feet for making sorceresses in the exact image Sapkowski laid out for them. Which as the other poster stated is very much as manipulative sexpots leading men by the nose.

Yeah blame the sex cards and sewer hookers on CDPR. But sex cards were just some silly gameplay thing. Books still have him as a lothario of sorts.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yet, again, CDP left out a number of plot points, such as the significant factor of the Nilfgard Emperor wanting to gently caress and impregnate his daughter.

They had the rights to the setting, they weren't forced to write women in such a poor way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Deified Data posted:

As of the third game this is bunk. The Witcher 3 is much better about it, there are several major characters I can think of that don't fit that description (a couple of which are more poorly represented in the previous games!). Cerys, Ves, and Phillippa especially have more nuance than that. It also places explicit emphasis on the fact that Geralt being easily taken advantage of with sex and fake romance is common knowledge. The people who do use sex to deceive him- Keira in particular for example -are people who already know him or have at least heard of him. Criticize the first game (and to a slightly lesser extent the second) as much as you like, but to not give credit where credit is due for acknowledging a shifting social climate and doing better as the series goes is really lame.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Oct 15, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RBA Starblade posted:

Warframe can make a really bad first impression if you don't have a buddy or someone there to hold your hand some because yeah, you look at markets and stuff and just see everything costs platinum (The paid Warframe funbux) and think what the gently caress, do I never get new guns/swords/characters without paying? And the answer is that 90% of those items (The other 10% are cosmetics, where obviously that's forgivable in an actual F2P game) are actually outright winnable/craftable while you normally play through the game and complete planets and crack relics and stuff, you can even get said paid funbux through trading with people, got a blueprint or a part to some weapon/frame you're not interested in? The game has a straight up trading hub bazaar you can travel to and sell your stuff off to people in for plat. Even if you ever feel like throwing Digital Extremes a few bucks for being pretty cool devs, that daily roulette spin that mostly gives you some resources and junk occasionally will give you things like a 75% off coupon for whatever amount of plat you buy next. It's hard to see when you first start, but DE actually try really hard to make everything accessible.

Safeword posted:

Yet, again, CDP left out a number of plot points, such as the significant factor of the Nilfgard Emperor wanting to gently caress and impregnate his daughter.

This doesn't necessarily have to be a "Left out" issue, because CDPR have changed stuff wholesale already, so it could just as easily be that's a gross book relic that doesn't matter anymore. Like in the books Nilfgaard are practically plain old fantasy nazis, in the games they redid them to not be wholly evil and hell, game-wise I'd even pretty readily take them over sides like Redania and Temeria.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Oct 15, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All the baked-in misogyny is made even crappier by the game having some really nice music and sound design.

A couple non-sexist things dragging it down (TO ITS GRAVE):
  1. The game had really bad screen tearing, and the only way to enable vsync was with the nvidia control panel.
  2. With GOG's new cloud saves enabled, apparently saves aren't stored anywhere on my computer. In order to delete all the extra save files I had, I needed to use the in-game Delete Save dialogue, which took like 15 minutes to get them all.

Again, I feel like I'm getting my $1.50 worth, but still.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

I'm still waiting for a Discworld RPG. RIP.
There were three, and a GURPS tabletop RPG.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zoig posted:

The worst part is that a very large amount of that stuff you don't have to pay for. If it affects gameplay, you can get it with grinding and resources. This makes the whole market extra bad because pretty much everything there is overpriced and it's one of the first few things a newbie sees.

It's only free if your time is worthless. Also by its very design the f2p microtransactions effect every facet of the game design so that even if you're willing to pay money it's impossible to actually "buy" the game, you're just getting a set number of resources that will inevitably be depleted and a minor loosening of the completely arbitrary limits on inventory space and real-world wait timers that exist solely to drive you to spend even more money out of annoyance.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

Also by it's very design the f2p microtransactions effect every facet of the game design

Not really, you get stuff quickly and you get lots, the only "F2P annoyance" type thing is crafting timers, which are dumb but cost such a piddly amount of plat that again, you could go throw a crap blueprint at someone and they'd give you enough to rush building if you want. The only thing that's really wonky in the game is stuff like the prime packs, which are basically the whale injection station for people who wanna spend a bunch of money on some gaudier cosmetics and useless boosts. For being a F2P game Warframe's one that doesn't actually penalize you for not spending money much at all, it's easy to get blueprints for new weapons and frames, it's easy to get the resources, no planets or levels are paywalled, you can get primed weapons and frames just playing and cracking relics or trading, one of the only stopgaps they really pull are the crafting timers and even that's mostly nothing, DE have even pretty quickly changed newly implemented systems before because it was making money in a way they didn't want to and messing with people, they did this without anyone even twisting their arm.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Oct 16, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
As someone with over 500 hours of Warframe, the entire game is just a grind. The way 95% of missions are played are either rushing through the level not killing as many enemies as possible, or standing around in one place with one superweapon and two lovely weapons you are grinding up. Sometimes you take one lovely gun and one unleveled frame and stand next to a guy who uses one ability over and over to kill all the enemies. 75% of weapons and more than half of the warframes are poo poo no one uses but still have to hold onto a while to level up to get your rank up so you can use better weapons.

One of the resources comes in small amounts and you lose half of it every day.

Piell has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Oct 16, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FactsAreUseless posted:

There were three, and a GURPS tabletop RPG.

Those were point and click adventures though.

I can't actually imagine how you'd do a Discworld RPG in any way more serious than the South Park games, seeing as Discworld magic doesn't work in any codified way, and killing stuff to level up for loot is chronically missing the point. Unless you're playing as the Silver Horde I guess.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I won't say Warframe isn't grindy, and I generally pick it up when some new story missions come out, play those and grind a couple levels, then get irritated by an aspect of the game and put it down for a couple months. However, after 200 hours, my primary loadout is a frame I got from beating a sidequest, and its weapons are all from getting to a high level in one of the factions. Also, if you get far enough in the game, you generally will have enough stuff going in your forge that you're making weapons faster than you can master them.

That said, gently caress the giant puzzle boss at the end of the Octavia sidequest. And double gently caress it for just giving the frame blueprint but not the individual components. And gently caress that sidequest where you have to gamble in a combat arena while not getting too many points.

I swear the main story quests are crazy and generally fun, and the weird-rear end open world area is kinda cool in small amounts. Looking forward to the town of singing communist robots next year.

My recommendation is to play the game until you get to the character creation, that's when the "real Warframe" starts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bewilderment posted:

I can't actually imagine how you'd do a Discworld RPG in any way more serious than the South Park games, seeing as Discworld magic doesn't work in any codified way, and killing stuff to level up for loot is chronically missing the point. Unless you're playing as the Silver Horde I guess.

What about as a Small God trying to get believers?

But yeah, it shouldn't be an especially serious game.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Yardbomb posted:

This doesn't necessarily have to be a "Left out" issue, because CDPR have changed stuff wholesale already, so it could just as easily be that's a gross book relic that doesn't matter anymore. Like in the books Nilfgaard are practically plain old fantasy nazis, in the games they redid them to not be wholly evil and hell, game-wise I'd even pretty readily take them over sides like Redania and Temeria.

The argument was that the bad writing of women "had to" be in the games because of the stories, when CDP demonstrated they were quite happy to deviate from canon or ignore elements of the books. Blaming the novels for what the developers put together feels pretty asinine to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My big problem with Warframe is that I like collecting things and I like switching my playstyle up regularly so I don't get bored, but you can only hold on to like 10 guns (out of 388162386 and variants) and two Warframes at a time. Someone was nice enough to gift me an upgrade and I bought one with the starting platinum, so now I can story...20 guns and 3 Warframes, or something. But I wanna have ALL the Warframes and ALL the guns eventually! I thought that's the point of the game! And even if a gun is objectively lovely and everyone would say "just toss it", I look it up on the wiki and it's used in the blueprint for another gun, or you need two of it to craft the double-gun version, so I don't want to toss it anyway.

That's what actually made me stop playing, not the grind because I get it, that's the point, but because I can only collect so much and then have to buy more space or decide which of my cool poo poo I spent hours on to sell.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Nah I think playing as a typical RPG hero in the Discworld would be good comedy material. But eh, fairly well trodden ground at this point now that everything is snarky and self aware and it's not like Pratchett himself would be writing it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey, I own a Ridge Racer game on Steam - I could really go for some chilled out drifting right now!

*installs and runs Ridge Racer Unbounded*

(It's basically a bad Burnout clone that's also ridiculously difficult. Case in point, I was cruising towards the finish line in first place, only to get 'Fragged' by a car coming from behind me, passed by the rest of the pack and end up in 8th. I could have done nothing about this.)

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Oct 16, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

My big problem with Warframe is that I like collecting things and I like switching my playstyle up regularly so I don't get bored, but you can only hold on to like 10 guns (out of 388162386 and variants) and two Warframes at a time. Someone was nice enough to gift me an upgrade and I bought one with the starting platinum, so now I can story...20 guns and 3 Warframes, or something. But I wanna have ALL the Warframes and ALL the guns eventually! I thought that's the point of the game! And even if a gun is objectively lovely and everyone would say "just toss it", I look it up on the wiki and it's used in the blueprint for another gun, or you need two of it to craft the double-gun version, so I don't want to toss it anyway.

That's what actually made me stop playing, not the grind because I get it, that's the point, but because I can only collect so much and then have to buy more space or decide which of my cool poo poo I spent hours on to sell.

Yeah same. I used to play Team Fortress 2 and at least they were nice enough to give you like, 300 backpack spaces or something. And then every event they give you a backpack expander for free and that adds another 100 inventory spaces.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

At least with Warframe its possible for free to play players to actually get platinum to increase their storage space by trading with other players, but that's its own problem.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In the game's (lukewarm) defense I don't think hawking prime junk is more grindy than any of the rest of it, and a rare bit can go a fair way.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
About 40 hours in Warframe here. The gameplay feels really nice and smooth and the art direction and world building is interesting.

It just takes about 10 hours to get the same amount of content and variety you'd normally expect to get in 1.

I was actually thinking about spending some money on the game, but spending like $60 isn't getting you a whole lot, so you have to go back to grinding unless you wanna pay more maybe?

It's the sunk cost fallacy - the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Piell posted:

As someone with over 500 hours of Warframe, the entire game is just a grind. The way 95% of missions are played are either rushing through the level not killing as many enemies as possible, or standing around in one place with one superweapon and two lovely weapons you are grinding up. Sometimes you take one lovely gun and one unleveled frame and stand next to a guy who uses one ability over and over to kill all the enemies. 75% of weapons and more than half of the warframes are poo poo no one uses but still have to hold onto a while to level up to get your rank up so you can use better weapons.

One of the resources comes in small amounts and you lose half of it every day.

Reading slot machine studies I remember that one of the big surprises was that hardcore slot addicts are actually annoyed by winning huge jackpots because what they actually enjoy is being in "the zone" where they're constantly stimulated by flashing lights and variables to track and regular small payouts and when they have a big win they get yanked out of the zone while they stand there waiting for the coins to finish pouring out. Its why slot machines now tend to focus on huge numbers of tiny bets with tons of things happening on screen at once, and the parallels between that and the grind of f2p ganes is incredibly obvious.

As much as people complain about grind, its what they actually play the game for. It's basically that old Twilight Zone episode about a gambler thinking a casino where he always wins is heaven and it turns out to be hell, getting rid of the grind and gacha elements would "ruin" the game for most of its regular players.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm trying to finish Red Dead Redemption at last before the sequel comes out and it keeps doing this thing where I fast travel from a campsite to a certain spot where my next mission is but it spawns me on top of train tracks and I instantly get run over by the train...

Somehow this is more annoying than when it spawns a treasure hunter being attacked on the mountain I'm traveling next to the bottom of so I can't go up there and do anything in time.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Oct 16, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elite Dangerous has no 'mission filter' as far as I can tell.

So if all you're interested in is being a space trucker you gotta scroll through a half dozen quest giver's lists to find delivery missions. Also you might have more than one delivery from that origin to the same destination, allowing you to complete multiple missions in one trip, but you gotta scroll through each list multiple times, and also make sure the destination (space station/planetary settlement) and star system match. It's kinda tedious when I should just be able to filter 'delivery missions' to 'X system'

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Re: The Witcher being lovely about women I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the part where some late teens-early 20s woman throws herself on her geezer husband's funeral pyre. It would be one thing if the game then explored how hosed up that is but as far as I know (I didn't experience every bit of content in The Witcher 3 because I'm not a madman) they just sort of show it as cool and good and very much the woman's decision and then it's never mentioned again. It left a bad taste in my mouth throughout the rest of the game to the point that I never had any enthusiasm to try the DLC despite everyone raving about it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going to other lots in Sims 4 makes the game forget about any items that you have back at home and as such your sim will start having whims for certain items and wishing for them because they "don't own one". Got a cat, went to work at the police station and now my sim wants to buy a litter pan, a food bowl, a squeaky toy, claiming they don't own any.

E: Really its not like I NEED the reward points that whims award, another thing that drags down Sims 4 is that the lifetime rewards store kinda sucks. Its full of potions, which I think is what EA is expecting players to burn their points on, a cheater trait for each social need to either make the decay so low they don't matter or freeze entirely, nullifying negative traits and weather reactions..... Cause its not like the game isn't already piss easy as is.

Just sucks because I generally stick with whims as a reason for my sim to act a certain way, so instead of flirting with someone or beating someone up or working out its just "buy stuff"

Leal has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Oct 16, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

Re: The Witcher being lovely about women I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned the part where some late teens-early 20s woman throws herself on her geezer husband's funeral pyre. It would be one thing if the game then explored how hosed up that is but as far as I know (I didn't experience every bit of content in The Witcher 3 because I'm not a madman) they just sort of show it as cool and good and very much the woman's decision and then it's never mentioned again. It left a bad taste in my mouth throughout the rest of the game to the point that I never had any enthusiasm to try the DLC despite everyone raving about it.
Skellige Islanders are fantasy Vikings and Vikings did stuff like that for their funerals of important leaders in real life.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the witcher books are v. good also especially when geralt is invited to the party of like 200-300 year old witches and wizards who all look like they are in their early-mid 20s and wear transparent clothes to show off their bodies