Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've only played the games, are the storylines in the books as good/better than the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's one thing I gotta say about this game. Yennefer is a really dumb name.

Alchenar posted:

I just don't think that Gerald is a very deep or interesting character. He's always so monotonous and lacking in emotion.

Geralt's whole thing seems to be that he is just The Most Decent Dude (Who Also Fucks).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

qbert posted:

I've only played the games, are the storylines in the books as good/better than the games?

Read Season of Storms

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

qbert posted:

It's a really good series for the fantasy genre. The first game copied and rehashed a lot directly from the books. The two short story compilations are chronologically first (The Last Wish; Sword of Destiny) and they're universally praised and great to just pick up, start reading and take a break after a couple of stories if you want.

I really enjoyed the actual saga that follows where things get more serious and a bigger conflict gets fleshed out but opinions start to differ here so you'll have to see on your own in what camp you're in.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Yen even mentions this iirc, she was originally named Jenny but wanted to be different when she became a sorceress so she went with Yennefer.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

qbert posted:

I think the first two short-story books(The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny) are quite good, the 5-book Saga is hit and miss, and I didn't really care for Season of Storms at all.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 11, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

qbert posted:

I enjoyed them and they're easy reads. Last Wish and Sword of Destiny (the first two) are more collections of short stories rather than full novel, but they set up a lot of important stuff for later. The next five are all one continuous plot.

Edit: Beaten more times than NG+

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Where's my bae Triss what is this poo poo

Tfw they combine Yen and Triss into one character named Yiss.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ytlaya posted:

Geralt's whole thing seems to be that he is just The Most Decent Dude (Who Also Fucks).

Everyone gets a cute nickname, like Yen, Ciri or Phi, so for a long while, based on absolutely nothing, I thought Triss' full name was Patricia.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

In fairness, so was Fringilla. I'm really wondering what they'll do with her.

I mean, she's a side character in the games, too, so... she's just a side character, period?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

In It For The Tank posted:

Yisssss queen

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

They'll Her Story it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

They'll probably have sideplots and other non-book stuff going on to establish the Council of Mages earlier than in the books so you don't meet them hours before they're dissolved in a coup attempt.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah who cares where is Shani and Essi Daven GOD DAMMIT

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Reminds me of when I was watching Rectify and there's a character called Amantha, my brain always went to Samantha and made it sound wrong.

One thing I really hope they keep in the TV series is Roaches teleport ability. I want Geralt to whistle and no matter where he is, Roach is right there cantering in from behind and a bit to the side. None of the other characters in the show bat an eyelid like it's totally normal even though none of their horses can teleport. Everyone involved in acting or producing the show completely ignores every single query about it like it's not even a thing that's happening. Just, they don't even acknowledge that it's a thing that happens or that anyone is asking about it, ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yennefer is fantasy Jennifer which is modern Guinevere. It's fine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cactus posted:

Reminds me of when I was watching Rectify and there's a character called Amantha, my brain always went to Samantha and made it sound wrong.

One thing I really hope they keep in the TV series is Roaches teleport ability. I want Geralt to whistle and no matter where he is, Roach is right there cantering in from behind and a bit to the side. None of the other characters in the show bat an eyelid like it's totally normal even though none of their horses can teleport. Everyone involved in acting or producing the show completely ignores every single query about it like it's not even a thing that's happening. Just, they don't even acknowledge that it's a thing that happens or that anyone is asking about it, ever.

I do hope there's a Roach-on-the-roof Easter egg in Thronebreaker, at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Roach needs to do sick reps of pushups on a fence

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jennifer which is modern Guinevere

oh man I am embarrassed I did not make this connection until now

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Megazver posted:

I do hope there's a Roach-on-the-roof Easter egg in Thronebreaker, at least.

Just do it like The Good Place where they call for Janet and she always (always) appears on the opposite side of the person than they were expecting.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm farming cash for my first ng+ run is murdering hanses repeatedly the way to do it and what else should I have besides grandmaster armor and aerondight

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Honestly everything is thoroughly outclassed by the inherent bonuses that NG+ equipment gets that it isn't worth grinding that much. This is assuming you aren't level 100 thanks to PC shennanigans.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

In fairness, so was Fringilla. I'm really wondering what they'll do with her.

One thing I thought of when I saw that she was cast at this time would be them doing flashbacks to the Battle of Sodden Hill, where Fringilla blinded Yennefer. Otherwise they'd be giving her a role in the story far earlier than in the novels where she doesn't really appear until the Lodge of Sorceresses is formed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If anything I could see Sodden Hill being the finale, not something they flash back to. You'd think they would have cast Triss if either of those were the case. Or they've just not found the right actress yet.

I wonder if Fringilla will be some original content, character serving as our eyes in Nilfgaard kinda thing.

e: i think it's most likely tho they're just announcing the people they have atm and not announcing who will necessarily be big roles

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, Jaskier/Dandelion is not shown yet and they specifically talked about him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GraveVideos posted:

Yeah, Jaskier/Dandelion is not shown yet and they specifically talked about him.

any others with polish names?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Rinkles posted:

any others with polish names?

Geralt
Yennefer
Ciri
Triss

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you might be surprised to learn those aren't particularly polish

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will the Horse be English Roach or Polish Roach.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

esperterra posted:

I wonder if Fringilla will be some original content, character serving as our eyes in Nilfgaard kinda thing.1

If I remember right, Nilfgaard wasn't mentioned even once in short stories ( and if was, it was as "another random fantasy place" instead of "giant empire with plans of invading") that the show almost certainly plans to adapt, so increasing the presence of Nilfgaard and foreshadowing its future action would be a good move and Fringilla could be used here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nilfgaard is referenced a few times in Sword of Destiny, particularly during Something More when Geralt flashes back to helping Dandelion escape the oncoming invasion.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Will the Horse be English Roach or Polish Roach.

Polish, so poor actors will have to twist their faces saying "Płotka"..

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nilfgaard is referenced a few times in Sword of Destiny, particularly during Something More when Geralt flashes back to helping Dandelion escape the oncoming invasion.

Wait, really? I don't remember that at all, but I guess its not too surprising considering the last time I read the books was like eight years ago.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think that, but i'm not sure, when sword of destiny was originally published way way back in the 1990's it was just a collection of short stories. the whole geralt getting injured and having fever dream flashbacks in between stories was added in a later edition (maybe the first english one?) to glue the individual stories together and tie it all to the major witcher arc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole point of the final story / framing story is Geralt reuniting with Ciri after the massacre of Cintra. Sodden Hill is a very obvious final episode climax.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The “Something More” short story is loving amazing and almost makes me cry man tears every time I read it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

chaosapiant posted:

The “Something More” short story is loving amazing and almost makes me cry man tears every time I read it.

The great climax of the Ciri saga made me weep like nothing since The Man in the Iron Mask (after having read the rest of the D'Artagnan stories), which is not surprising, since they're very similar in effect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Geralt has finally arrived from Japan!!

I did not realize Nendoroids were Amiibo sized. I thought they were the size of like, the bigger Mario X Rabbids Rabbid figures or the Detective Pikachu Amiibo. His parts were kind of a pain to put together

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt was already in Japan as of the latest Soul Calibur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm starting to think that maybe I should play this on the difficulty above normal, because I'm basically never remotely at risk of dying unless I try to fight something considerably above my level (I've died precisely once to an Endrega Warrior because I didn't notice I was poisoned). Do things get harder later, since I'm still pretty early into the game (I'm only level 7 or 8)? If not, I may try upping the difficulty.

As an unrelated thing, Geralt's relationship with women in this game is funny. All attractive women are just extremely thirsty for Geralt for some reason, and the way Geralt acts/reacts is hilarious. Like, I recently walked up to this sorceress in a bath, and Geralt just stands there staring at her and then raises his eyebrow. And then later she exhausts herself and Geralt says "don't faint on me" and she's like "i would not my fainting in your arms." It just feels so random that it crosses over into being amusing.

I get the impression sorceresses' magic is powered by being libido, because it seems like every sorceress in these games is extremely thirsty.