Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The mentoring groups are the final piece of the squad dynamics/influence puzzle they've been building for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Weedle posted:

I also hope they put more effort in
:cawg:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I would kill for a goon multiplayer league

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The beta is out.

Protip number 1: Make a mentoring group called The Bin and put every senior player with a bad personality in it on day one. If they're particularly Influential isolate them in the reserves. Bad eggs in the squad will ruin promising young players.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ah, the Ferguson strategy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Protip number 2: The Championship is a piece of piss to win (I've literally done it every time) and the Premier League is a hellish wasteland of crumpled up fifty pound notes. Manage on the continent instead.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

sassassin posted:

The beta is out.

Protip number 1: Make a mentoring group called The Bin and put every senior player with a bad personality in it on day one. If they're particularly Influential isolate them in the reserves. Bad eggs in the squad will ruin promising young players.

What are the undesirable personality types.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

reach42 posted:

What are the undesirable personality types.

Balanced, Fairly Sporting, Fairly Loyal indicate they have nothing really going for them, and could hide serious problems as for legal reasons SI don't label real people with the negative terms regens get to describe them.

For young players to develop you want them to show high levels of Professionalism, Ambition and Determination (the latter didn't used to be a factor but SI bowed to the widespread myth that it did so now we have to live with it).

Perfectionist, Resolute, Model Citizen etc. are what you're aiming for. Put a young kid in a mentoring group with two or three players who are 1) older 2) playing regularly and 3) hopefully some of the same positions and you can see a lot of positive growth.

Be warned that PPMs are also transmitted this way, like horrible diseases they are.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If there's one thing I miss from the old LLM boards over on the official forums, it's the rule that you had to have played at least 3 seasons before you could post an update thread.
We're less than 6 hours into the beta and there are already almost a dozen FM19 threads on the go in the FM Careers sub-forum, at least 75% of which will have been abandoned by this point next week.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Any hilarious bugs with the game so far?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Goalkeepers walk out of their area with the ball in their hands (or sometimes put it down just over the line) and get booked.

The funniest stuff has already been fixed (ball acting like a balloon when kicked high, lots of goals from strikers standing in keeper's face when he's trying to kick and panicking).

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sassassin posted:

Goalkeepers walk out of their area with the ball in their hands (or sometimes put it down just over the line) and get booked.

I remember this being patched into a previous version and then immedately being patched out again, so it's nice to see the match engine is still as much of a mess as ever

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I haven't really followed any of this year's changes and hadn't pre-ordered until I saw the beta go live last night and like a rube I immediately caved and bought it (why break a 21 year long streak of buying it :downs: ).

Immediately changed back to one of the classic light/dark themes.

The training changes are so reminiscent of some past version, I think maybe 03/04

The tactics changes initially sounded more impressive and in-depth than before. My first impression is that they are exactly the same as they were previously with a new UI over the top that maybe helps explain what all the different options did previously (I could be wrong). What I do like though, is that there are preset football styles which activate the "right" team instructions rather than just setting a formation and leaving you to figure it out.

Oh yeah and the fact that the touch version is now called "Football Manager 2019 Touch" rather than "Football Manager Touch 2019" is mildy annoying when I look at my Steam games list.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 19, 2018

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Is your team programmed to play with severe brain damage in away games in the new beta?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They're soccer players, playing with severe brain damage is the only possibility besides not playing at all. :thunk:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jason Sextro posted:

Is your team programmed to play with severe brain damage in away games in the new beta?

Not as bad as I've seen it some years.

The biggest issue I have at the moment is players trying to shift the ball out to fullbacks without checking if the pass is on or not. Countless interceptions by wingers just standing around and just happen to be in line of a gentle ground pass. Makes patient buildup with any width difficult.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I've avoided that issue by playing the sort of tactics I never, ever play. I'm an arsenal fan. A purist. Beautiful game and all that. But it seemed too easy to set up a slow buildup passing tactic with the new presets do I've gone for an ultra pressing direct passing blitzkrieg setup. While almost anything works with a big(gish) team like Arsenal... I'm kinda surprised how well it's working and how much fun it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
FM18 is the only game I have much experience with, but what I noticed was that, if you’re away and your opponent is using Counter mentality, you are probably going to lose and there’s gently caress-all you can do about it. I got curious as to why it seemed like I won at Chelsea and at City more often than at Watford and at Newcastle, and did a bunch of save scumming to try and find out. The only consistent thing I found was that: that if you’re away and the other team’s using Counter (as reported by your advance scout). Defensive or Standard, you’re probably fine, but Counter, you’re probably hosed.

(I know SI’s official lines are It’s Your Tactics Mate and that it has to do with complacency and blahblahblah, but I’m not sure I buy that. sassassin, do you have any technical insight about that?)

And no tweaks to your own formation or mentality seem to make any difference, at least that I could find in a few hours’ worth of save scumming. Even the 5-2-3 cheat tactics don’t seem to help much. Who knows if SI privately regards this as a bug or a feature, though.

Come to think of it, I never tested to see whether the player gets a similar benefit from playing Counter as a home underdog. But I bet you do.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Leicester won the league irl by doing that, so it wouldn't surprise me if SI decided that it was basically a guaranteed win for any team and implemented it in game

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The beta is pretty infuriating for me so far. Issue #1 is the insane amount of injuries I've been getting. Five in one game was the breaking point for me. That's a usual issue with the betas though so shouldn't be as bad in the base game.

Ball playing goalkeepers is pretty dicey as well. They come out and get tackled so often, though half the time the striker then misses the open goal for whatever reason.

In general though I've been enjoying it. The new interface and particularly the tactics changes have been a welcome improvement after a few years of not a lot of changes. I have noticed the gegenpressing tactic seems to lead to a lot of yellows (particularly at the fullback position for whatever reason), interested to see if that carries into the main release or if it's another beta weirdness.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
New tactics editor seems cool.

I think it will give newbies more rope to hang themselves but it seems to address some of the weaknesses of the FM tactic editor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

(I know SI’s official lines are It’s Your Tactics Mate and that it has to do with complacency and blahblahblah, but I’m not sure I buy that. sassassin, do you have any technical insight about that?)

Counters are powerful magic that only triggers when a team realises it's got more men forward than you've got back.

Prevent counters as a dominant side by keeping a couple of midfielders (or inverted fullbacks) deeper. This will also draw buses out of their parking space a little when you recycle play.

Technically all a counter is supposed to do is set every player involved to Max mentality (and other direct-sounding settings) so that everyone heads for goal without another thought in their heads. Turns out this is pretty effective (especially when scripted high pace player speed boosts kick in as well).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sassassin posted:

Counters are powerful magic that only triggers when a team realises it's got more men forward than you've got back.

Prevent counters as a dominant side by keeping a couple of midfielders (or inverted fullbacks) deeper. This will also draw buses out of their parking space a little when you recycle play.

Technically all a counter is supposed to do is set every player involved to Max mentality (and other direct-sounding settings) so that everyone heads for goal without another thought in their heads. Turns out this is pretty effective (especially when scripted high pace player speed boosts kick in as well).

I'm almost positive it provides a boost to Attacking Set Pieces as well. My teams have Defensive Set Pieces set as Match Preparation - and that never changes - but we've always been susceptible to corners against weaker teams. And that seems to have no relation to the players they have available.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That may just be because teams that use Counter mentality also tend to do Attacking Set Pieces for their match prep. Assuming AI teams do match prep and assuming match prep actually does anything, neither of which is a fact I know.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

That may just be because teams that use Counter mentality also tend to do Attacking Set Pieces for their match prep. Assuming AI teams do match prep and assuming match prep actually does anything, neither of which is a fact I know.

Yeah, I'm sure they do. I just think it's odd that their Match Prep - presumably for a specific game - winds up being better than the Match Prep my players have been doing for 3 years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they do. I just think it's odd that their Match Prep - presumably for a specific game - winds up being better than the Match Prep my players have been doing for 3 years.

Match prep is only good for one game no matter how long you repeat it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sassassin posted:

Match prep is only good for one game no matter how long you repeat it.

Itself pretty stupid

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you want a permanent boost to your set piece defending spend that time developing your players relevant attributes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've gone from not being able to do anything but win the league to not being able to create a clear cut chance - let alone score a goal - in a new career.

I blame the last patch.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I hope it settles the injuries down. In my latest game of FM18, my starting CF has been injured four times in the last four international breaks. I don't really want to offload him but it's getting to be too much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's very much down to luck. You can lose 3/4 wingers to long term injuries (including a career-ending snapped cruciate) or go the whole preseason with little more than a bruised knee, or even have Jefferson Montero Injury Proneness 19, two recurring hamstring problems stay fit for over 18 months.

Keep an eye on training intensity (that little bar at the bottom of each training day) and do lots of Recovery sessions (min. 1 asap after every game).

Also buy players that aren't good enough to play for their national teams.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my current FM18 save I have a regen who is probably the best left winger in the world but he's Hungarian and every single goddamn international break he comes back injured. Every. Goddamn. Time. It's been going on for 4 solid years and it's infuriating. And he's gotten significantly injured like twice in training/matches for my team, versus like 11 times for Hungary. :rant:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rest them the game before the international break.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For me its always during the international breaks I sim the days off and every time one of my superstars wants to join a megabastard ans gets unhappy I wont speak to him because I am simming.

Every time lol.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Serves you right for going on holiday.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sassassin posted:

The beta is out.

Is there any point putting a more senior player in one of the mentoring groups or are they more likely to just drag the others down?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Personalities work a lot like playing attributes in that once a player reaches 24/25 they're less likely to see much change, positive or negative (unless it's injury-related).

Doubly so if they are Influential within the squad. The more weight a player has in a group the less likely their attributes with increase or decrease. So there is little benefit to mentoring groups for senior players themselves.

But young players without much influence within the squad hierarchy (having low squad status or being new to the club) will naturally look to 1) older 2) influential players who 3) share positions with them and follow their example. Sharing a mentoring group increases the effect of these relationships, and as a result lessens the effect of players outside the mentoring group.

To use Swansea as an example, if you don't deal with Nathan Dyer asap he will drive down the hidden attributes (and Determination) of Asoro, James and even McKay by the weight of his natural influence (as he is older, been at the squad longer, shares positions). If you put James in a mentoring group with say Naughton and Roberts, Dyer's effect can be reduced somewhat as their better personalities hold more sway.

Better yet chuck Dyer in the u23s and he's gone from the equation.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Any suggestions for a new player? I am currently rereading habeasdorkus' incredible LP of FM 14 and 15 (now on the archives) and I happen to glance at my Steam library to see a copy of FM 2016 that I have no recall of buying. Having played a lot of PES in the past but no FM, I'm not sure how best to begin.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

4-4-loving-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Starting with PSG is basically easy mode. Piles of money, an rear end Man who you can actually rely on, and even if you're terrible you should win the league pretty easily.