Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone know if Blokada meddles with any other settings in the system that don't get cleaned up when uninstalling?

My current mobile provider has this fancy net neutrality breaking subscription where Spotify traffic doesn't get counted. That worked for a brief moment and then it broke. It possibly coincides with my short use of Blokada, and it is still broken after ditching Blokada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Googles promos are so god drat confusing. On their main page it says any new phone can have protection plan for 5 dollars a month, and I just got some promo for 50 dollars credit but I have no idea if it applied or not to the phone I already pre ordered ahhh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Veskit posted:

Googles promos are so god drat confusing. On their main page it says any new phone can have protection plan for 5 dollars a month, and I just got some promo for 50 dollars credit but I have no idea if it applied or not to the phone I already pre ordered ahhh.

Their store support is great, ask!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Assuming you're talking about the P3, I believe the $50 credit isn't coming until 4-6 weeks after the Pixel 3 is delivered to you. (Returns, etc)

E: Yeah

quote:

High five for pre-ordering Google Pixel 3. You’re now eligible to get $50 Google Store promotional balance.1 Within 4-6 weeks of your phone shipping, we’ll send you an email letting you know when it’s available to use (as long as you didn’t cancel your order or return your Pixel 3).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

Because I use it outdoors constantly, at least %90 of the time. Why not get a good phone instead of a dongle?
The chances of you hearing the difference between a "good" DAC and a "bad" DAC in 2018 is almost completely non-existent in absolutely perfect listening conditions, using high-end cans.
The chances of you hearing the difference outdoors is as close to absolute zero as anything can be.

Stop being an audiophool and choosing your phone around it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Assuming you're talking about the P3, I believe the $50 credit isn't coming until 4-6 weeks after the Pixel 3 is delivered to you. (Returns, etc)

So if you return your P3 due to issues, you don't get the $50 credit? That seems pretty sucky...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Thank you!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Their store support is great, ask!

I tried that last night about the 5 dollar thing and the guy was a total goober and just asked me to take a screen shot of it and then said he couldn't do anything.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah store support is pretty bad. They can be nice but ultimately are at the mercy of the system they're forced to use. So if it doesn't allow you to get a new device after doing an RMA, they will "escalate the problem" and you'll hear nothing for days unless you call back or email.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'll email them. 2 dollars a month doesn't seem like much until you consider that could be the deductible itself when my dumbass hands inevitably drop the thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Somehow the promo email thing was flipped off for me and I never got the $50 credit email. I guess I have to hope that all pre-orders will get the the credit in 4-6 weeks and I just didn't get notified about it

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Caring about phone DAC or spending your phonebux around that desire is the tiniest, weirdest niche

I don't 'get' audiophiles

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well poo poo, now we know why the cost is up.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/10/16/pixel-3-xls-much-improved-display-is-a-samsung-oled/

The P3's are using Samsung panels. So everyone telling Google to spend the money last year to go with a top Samsung solution got their wish.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 16, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

The chances of you hearing the difference between a "good" DAC and a "bad" DAC in 2018 is almost completely non-existent in absolutely perfect listening conditions, using high-end cans.
The chances of you hearing the difference outdoors is as close to absolute zero as anything can be.

Hilarious. This isn't a minor difference in sound quality at all, it is utterly drastic. I'm not using super high end IEMs either. The fact you think all phones sound the same means you have never actually tried them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Do I need a fancy DAC for my Bluetooth headset? :ohdear:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone know if Blokada meddles with any other settings in the system that don't get cleaned up when uninstalling?

My current mobile provider has this fancy net neutrality breaking subscription where Spotify traffic doesn't get counted. That worked for a brief moment and then it broke. It possibly coincides with my short use of Blokada, and it is still broken after ditching Blokada.

It's just a local vpn, it wouldn't have caused that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah store support is pretty bad. They can be nice but ultimately are at the mercy of the system they're forced to use. So if it doesn't allow you to get a new device after doing an RMA, they will "escalate the problem" and you'll hear nothing for days unless you call back or email.

I've never had a bad experience with their support, they've gone out of their way a number of times to help. Maybe their support is per-country? I have no idea.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I don't know if this is the right thread for this. Let me know if it should be elsewhere.

My friend is on Fi and wants to get a P3. I'm on Verizon and was waiting for a Black Friday deal to get one myself.

My friend proposed that we use the BOGO Fi offer to get new P3s and split the $799. Reading the fine print, we'd need to leave my new phone active on his Fi account for 30 days. Seems like after that we could cancel the second Fi line and I could take that second P3 to Verizon and use it on my existing account. I'm assuming phones bought through Fi can be activated on Verizon.

https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/

Am I missing something here? Is that not kosher, or likely to go south somehow?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My V20 has the quad DAC and really all I've noticed is that the sound is slightly cleaner and, more significantly, louder.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh god please don't start audiophile chat. Remember that it's common to ban double blind tests on audiophile forums and you'll realize it just isn't worth it. Just pity them (or sell them some rocks or something) and move on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

Hilarious. This isn't a minor difference in sound quality at all, it is utterly drastic. I'm not using super high end IEMs either. The fact you think all phones sound the same means you have never actually tried them.
Is this where you talk about soundstage?
Basically all modern DACs test to within a hair's width of each other. Even those cheap little USB-C dongles, which are a DAC, test close to the "best".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

incogneato posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this. Let me know if it should be elsewhere.

My friend is on Fi and wants to get a P3. I'm on Verizon and was waiting for a Black Friday deal to get one myself.

My friend proposed that we use the BOGO Fi offer to get new P3s and split the $799. Reading the fine print, we'd need to leave my new phone active on his Fi account for 30 days. Seems like after that we could cancel the second Fi line and I could take that second P3 to Verizon and use it on my existing account. I'm assuming phones bought through Fi can be activated on Verizon.

https://fi.google.com/about/device-promo-terms/

Am I missing something here? Is that not kosher, or likely to go south somehow?

It should work. Earlier in the thread the 30 days thing was brought up and as far as using other carriers, their faq says

Yes. Any device you get from Project Fi comes unlocked and can be used with other wireless providers if you choose to leave our service.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Khablam posted:

Is this where you talk about soundstage?
Basically all modern DACs test to within a hair's width of each other. Even those cheap little USB-C dongles, which are a DAC, test close to the "best".

But the warmth...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

incogneato posted:

Reading the fine print, we'd need to leave my new phone active on his Fi account for 30 days. Seems like after that we could cancel the second Fi line and I could take that second P3 to Verizon and use it on my existing account.

Do you need to have the phone connected to the line or just have the SIM card active? Or, if you do need a phone attached, does it have to be the Pixel 3 or can it be an old phone you have laying around?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

Do you need to have the phone connected to the line or just have the SIM card active? Or, if you do need a phone attached, does it have to be the Pixel 3 or can it be an old phone you have laying around?

This is all the fine print says about that:

The devices must remain active for 30 consecutive days within 60 days of device shipment.

I'm interpreting that as the actual phone(s) you purchase through the BOGO offer must remain active on the Fi account. I'd love to take the new phone to Verizon right away, but I don't want to mess up the promotion.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Khablam posted:

You're absolutely right, except the DAC has nothing to do with it, really. When phones advertise "super quad DAC with 128 bit blast processing" or whatever bullshit, what they're actually saying is "we put a real loud headphone amp in there". But that doesn't sound like HOT NEW TECH to idiots so they dress it up in nonsense.

Putting a real loud headphone amp in a phone is a good thing though, and should be encouraged. Most of them are weak and bad sounding.

so, sort of, you're wrong, but for the right reasons and this guy:

redeyes posted:

is right but for the wrong reasons.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 16, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
^^^^^^^^ Edit: Also that

asecondduck posted:

My V20 has the quad DAC and really all I've noticed is that the sound is slightly cleaner and, more significantly, louder.

That's because the V20 has a built-in amplifier capable of driving high-impedance headphones, and it's rated up to 600 ohms. As far as I know, all LG phones that have the Quad ESS DAC share this features and it's unique to LG. It makes a very noticeable difference compared to other phones.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I like phones that have loud speakers. Usually, this means front-facing speakers, but not always.

I've never actually sought out a loud phone or not bought one because it was quiet, but I frequently wish my phone could get louder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/146051-what-is-huawei-nm-card-and-where-to-buy

Huawei is ditching microSD and going with their own proprietary storage card.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'll laugh if Huawei make a needlessly proprietary format stick before Sony do.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Khablam posted:

I'll laugh if Huawei make a needlessly proprietary format stick before Sony do.

Vita

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Didn't they have one for the original psp

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/146051-what-is-huawei-nm-card-and-where-to-buy

Huawei is ditching microSD and going with their own proprietary storage card.

The people haven't asked and we listened anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Blue Train posted:

It's just a local vpn, it wouldn't have caused that
Yeah I figured that out by now, too.

Essentially, they have subscriptions where social media and music streaming services are free and aren't counted towards your available data volume (well, there's actually two volume pools, you can see the usage on both). Except it doesn't work for Spotify. Just earlier, I noticed I was eligible for a Play Music promo, used it, and things work fine there. So my provider is an idiot. Spotify appears to be hosted on Google Cloud, so they probably bait-n-switched their IP addressing or whatever recently, and my provider was too stupid to notice or deal with it. I'm trying to fight their stupid support about it for days now.

--edit:
Weird, I just wanted to reinstall Blokada, the VPN based version isn't listed for me anymore. :confused:
Whoops nevermind, it was a manual install.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 16, 2018

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Blue Train posted:

Pro duo, but it was used by other Sony products as well. Afaik Vita cards are 100% for the Vita.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Blue Train posted:

The PSP used Sony's Memory Stick format which, while pretty much was used only by Sony, was at least used in other devices. The Vita memory cards were used only for the Vita, and were made at a time when micro SD cards were already ubiquitous.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I kind of get what Huawei's trying to do if the cards work with dual-SIM phones since those are pretty popular in Europe and Asia. If you have the choice of running a phone Dual SIM or SIM+Card that's pretty neat.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FistEnergy posted:

I kind of get what Huawei's trying to do if the cards work with dual-SIM phones since those are pretty popular in Europe and Asia. If you have the choice of running a phone Dual SIM or SIM+Card that's pretty neat.

Virtually all dual SIM card phones can do this already. The second slot will work with a SIM or microSD card, just in different orientations.

Edit: Speaking of the Mate 20, apparently you can use it to wirelessly charge other Qi-enabled devices, with a feature called "Reverse Wireless Charging". That's also kind of weird.

grack fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 16, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

FistEnergy posted:

My g5+ does this right now. Well ... it would if I had the need to do so.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

On Terra Firma posted:

I dunno what to say. She got hers a month before me. The only thing that it ever got hung up on was Google maps after google started loving around with it. After an update a few months ago it ran like poo poo and never worked right again. I also can no longer send directions to myself directly from maps. I have to text everything when I want to plan out a route from my desktop.

My s7 edge has become completely unusable, which is why I'm getting out of the Samsung ecosystem. The phone is only 1.5 years old or so because I had to file an insurance claim on the original after the glass cracked from a fall from calf height in the official samsung case.

My google maps takes around 15 minutes to be able to go from opening it, to it starting to display directions. It'll also randomly crash, so I'll have random 15 minute intervals with no directions.

It lags, my battery is just above half health (under 2000 MaH), and it drains so fast regardless of use. My phone sometimes just doesn't save the pictures I've taken.
It'll show up in the icon on the gallery, but if you open the gallery it's just not there. I've factory reset multiple times, and nothing fixes it.

I'm really looking forward to stock Android, which is why I ordered the P3XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't think any of the new Mate20's are coming to the U.S. which kind of sucks, I actually like the look of the regular non-Pro model.

They also released the Mate20X which is just stupid big. Here it is next to a Pixel 2XL. :lol: