Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I want Al'Akir in this game so he can have a talent called "Did someone say...?"

Dire Human posted:

Yeah; if you want a good Whitemane and Alex skin, getting Whitemane's halloween one and Alex's gem-only one is better than the other way around

But do I get the red-ish default one or the white and blue one? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Skin idea: Jainor and Rayna.

Rayna is a Jaina skin that is just Raynor in Jaina's dress, the head of his staff is a hex sign made of bullets. Q shoots a bullet. W is a rain of bullets. E is a cone of gunfire. Ring of Frost is uh... a blue nuke going off? Water Elemental has banshee pieces on its head/arms as armor. Ice Block puts a shell of terran armor around Rayna.

Jainor is a Raynor skin. Jaina in a marine powersuit, but with her staff instead of a gun. Pepper procs are exploding shards. Q is a big icicle. E makes the arcane mark/arcane brilliance udjat symbol. R is a frosty cyclone that spins around Jainor as she heals. Hyperion is a massive blizzard. Raider is a flying water elemental.

:colbert:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Skin idea: Jainor and Rayna.

Rayna is a Jaina skin that is just Raynor in Jaina's dress, the head of his staff is a hex sign made of bullets. Q shoots a bullet. W is a rain of bullets. E is a cone of gunfire. Ring of Frost is uh... a blue nuke going off? Water Elemental has banshee pieces on its head/arms as armor. Ice Block puts a shell of terran armor around Rayna.

Jainor is a Raynor skin. Jaina in a marine powersuit, but with her staff instead of a gun. Pepper procs are exploding shards. Q is a big icicle. E makes the arcane mark/arcane brilliance udjat symbol. R is a frosty cyclone that spins around Jainor as she heals. Hyperion is a massive blizzard. Raider is a flying water elemental.

:colbert:

would buy

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do you stop Tracer from attacking without stopping her from moving?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

bamhand posted:

Blind?

Or is this a joke I don't know the punchline to yet?

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

bamhand posted:

HOLD deselects her autoattack target and stops her from attacking.

Default keybind is H.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh ok, thanks! Yeah I was getting wrecked by Genji when I kept trying to press S and it did nothing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

can i use that same button to cancel cho's charge when i've already started charging it and my gall starts yelling NO DON'T I'M ABOUT TO ULT

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Switching Fenix's equipped weapon with the right timing to fire extra fast isn't super complex, but pulling it off in the middle of a chaotic teamfight is sooo satisfying.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

lucifirius posted:

The joke that can't ever die. Good.

What's the joke for someone that only played vanilla?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What's the joke for someone that only played vanilla?

The Wrath of the Lich King boss, The Lich King/Arthas, in the Icecrown Citadel raid, drops a mount called Invincible. The joke is that "how can you see his horse when it's invisible?"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Bought Fenix because he was half off and yeah, he still hell strong. Managed to disjoint a Karl Pyroblast with Warp which definitely gave me the horn

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Bought Fenix because he was half off and yeah, he still hell strong. Managed to disjoint a Karl Pyroblast with Warp which definitely gave me the horn

Yeah I scooped him for half too, really glad I waited for a hero I really wanted. Got Greymane too, finally some DPS I'm not terrible with!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think Greymane is the best designed hero in the game. I'm not particularly good with him, and I don't think he is regarded as OP or weak, but his kit fits together really well IMO and is very satisfying to play. My only personal problem with him is that I don't think I understand how to use the cocktail correctly. It seems to whiff when by all rights it looked like it should have hit something.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon Muradin is the best designed (tank at least). He’s very strong without being oppressive.

I think honestly across the board the heroes in this game are pretty well designed. There just seems to be a trend lately of new heroes being extremely overpowered. Wearing my tinfoil hat I’d say it’s to increase sales of that hero or in a lot of the Overwatch heroes case to draw people to HOTS from Overwatch.

Doffing my tinfoil hat it is probably that game design is really difficult.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

kaesarsosei posted:

I think Greymane is the best designed hero in the game. I'm not particularly good with him, and I don't think he is regarded as OP or weak, but his kit fits together really well IMO and is very satisfying to play. My only personal problem with him is that I don't think I understand how to use the cocktail correctly. It seems to whiff when by all rights it looked like it should have hit something.

Greymane is an amazing hero.

The cocktail is for aiming to hit something to do damage with the splash.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think the problem that they're having with the cocktail isn't utilizing the splash vector properly, but actually getting the bottle to connect with something.

Which, yeah - the bottle's hitbox is much smaller than you would expect, especially compared to something like Falstad's Q or Raynor's Q. I've had plenty of whiffed bottles that missed because they stopped a pixel short of the enemy's face.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think honestly across the board the heroes in this game are pretty well designed. There just seems to be a trend lately of new heroes being extremely overpowered. Wearing my tinfoil hat I’d say it’s to increase sales of that hero or in a lot of the Overwatch heroes case to draw people to HOTS from Overwatch.

Hyper mobility is a growing problem, IMO. When the game was new, Dwarf Toss, Anub's burrow, and Powerslide were great partly because they gave you such a crazy amount of control over whether you kept fighting and where it happened. I'm not a big fan of every other hero having a great engage/disengage tool. TBH 'the OW heroes' (which I assume to mean Genji and Tracer, MAYYYBE Hanzo most of the time) are just so wildly different from the rest of the heroes, and are so mobile it's very hard to draft or play around them.

They just drastically changed the feel of the game. If I had to choose, I'd get rid of armor stacking and armor working on shields before those heroes, but that's more because of the overall health of the game than my own frustration.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's not mobility, it's that every hero released or reworked recently has been reworked into a ridiculous tier 1 state (i guess intentionally?)

Here's a list of the best heroes in the game:
Whitemane
Yrel
Deckard
Fenix
Kerrigan
Raynor
Mephisto
Maiev
Diablo

Wait it's actually a list of their most recent releases and reworks minus brightwing.

Yrel wasnt released busted then ofc they made sure to fix that. Brightwing is either secretly busted now or will be buffed into being busted, dont you worry.

I'm complaining here and i do feel like these heroes feel a little stronger than others but I do think you can still pick more or less anyone you're good at and you'll still have an ok shot at winning. I dont think the overall balance is horrendous.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Hyper mobility is a growing problem, IMO. When the game was new, Dwarf Toss, Anub's burrow, and Powerslide were great partly because they gave you such a crazy amount of control over whether you kept fighting and where it happened. I'm not a big fan of every other hero having a great engage/disengage tool. TBH 'the OW heroes' (which I assume to mean Genji and Tracer, MAYYYBE Hanzo most of the time) are just so wildly different from the rest of the heroes, and are so mobile it's very hard to draft or play around them.

Its also partially a case of needing to design your new heroes to be able to deal with existing in the same space as your older hypermobile dudes that you made (and refuse to change) so its a really stupid arms race you're having with yourself that you also 100% have the power to fix but wont

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I wonder if it's possible to give Tracer more HP and AA damage and way less mobility, like maybe just 2 stacks of Q with 10s recharge per stack and 30s cooldown on recall or something. She'd keep a lot of the mobility flavor but be more like a traditional hero. Genji is just stupid and probably unfixable. Hanzo feels fine to me.

I think the newer mobility abilities on heroes feel fair when there's often a bit of start up before they go off or they don't move super fast. Like Yrel leap (the damage aspect of it aside) or Blaze charge or Meph teleport.

No Wave posted:

Wait it's actually a list of their most recent releases and reworks minus brightwing.

It used to feel like their new releases were on average fair (in that they didn't intentionally release overpowered heroes) but the past year or so feels like they're erring on the side of OP for their releases.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 16, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I imagine it’s easier to knock things down to a saner level when you have tons of data, then to have a character that is underperforming to the point that there isn’t even a common build.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Cain, Mephisto, Whitemane and Maiev all have a hotslogs community win rate below 49% now. Now, I'm not saying there are no balance problems and that there are never OP new heroes. But most of them don't stay OP for very long.

The winningest heroes with any significant amount of games played in HL are old-rear end Li-Li and Azmodan.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
If you look at the lowest winrate heroes, you'll find that a lot of the strongest/most popular heroes are there. I don't understand why.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

If you look at the lowest winrate heroes, you'll find that a lot of the strongest/most popular heroes are there. I don't understand why.

I mean, I would argue that if they have an agressively low win rate they're not the strongest. Maybe perceived as, but not actually.

Edit: And pro meta is of course different from HL meta by a mile.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I personally feel like it's less that the newer (or redesigned) heroes are intentionally OP and more that they're just better-designed. Having a character whose elements work together in harmony instead of grinding against each other and forcing talent taxes can do wonders for their performance, even if they haven't gotten any direct statistical buffs. Raynor is probably the best example of this.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Because the power of those heroes is tied to the ability of the player/team to execute, i.e., they have high floors and ceilings. The average player is going to get more value out of Li Li than Whitemane, despite Whitemane having power intrinsic power in her kit.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Switching Fenix's equipped weapon with the right timing to fire extra fast isn't super complex, but pulling it off in the middle of a chaotic teamfight is sooo satisfying.

I have played a lot of fenix lately but I have no clue what you mean by this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

it's not mobility, it's that every hero released or reworked recently has been reworked into a ridiculous tier 1 state (i guess intentionally?)

Here's a list of the best heroes in the game:
Whitemane
Yrel
Deckard
Fenix
Kerrigan
Raynor
Mephisto
Maiev
Diablo

Yrel wasnt released busted then ofc they made sure to fix that. Brightwing is either secretly busted now or will be buffed into being busted, dont you worry.

I'm complaining here and i do feel like these heroes feel a little stronger than others but I do think you can still pick more or less anyone you're good at and you'll still have an ok shot at winning. I dont think the overall balance is horrendous.

Kerrigan isn't good anymore imo. Whitemane has been eating nerf even at a sub 47% winrate. Maiev is very situational.

I do agree that a lot of the newer chars seem overpowered but it's not ALL of them

And it's not just "oh people don't know how to play them". I'm near grandmaster in HL and I see Whitemane and genji lose far more than say malfurion and kael thas.

Whitemane also has like a 30% winrate in pro play

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 16, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Who are the good bans now for diamond/masters

I almost always just ban diablo because without fail the enemy team will first pick him and he will just eat my teammates alive

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1052243994535751681

That is one fancy fuckin' horse.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I have played a lot of fenix lately but I have no clue what you mean by this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/9o9rpa/does_the_fenix_weapon_mode_switch_trick_still_work/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Who are the good bans now for diamond/masters

I almost always just ban diablo because without fail the enemy team will first pick him and he will just eat my teammates alive

Johanna is fairly good into Diablo. Most of the time I ban Diablo and if we have people who ever play autoattack characters, li li. She got over buffed last patch since she was already good, now she is way too good. Other normal bans for me are azmodan and hanzo on maps where he's good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How do you get Wonder William?

TIA

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Looks like a gold mount to me given that they only showed one tint.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The last time they had "this mount will be available at a later date" it was the Razorgrin for gold. So it could be that they are giving you a heads-up to save gold now that you wasted it all on re-rolling event chests.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

oh boy, another horse

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Is there a good way to find chill high diamond/low masters TL people to play with? Trying to break into masters has made me really want to improve so having other people who can give me constructive feedback would be extremely helpful

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Add me at GreyPowerVan#1312. Other than that just whisper/add the people in your games who seem good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
It's clearly a fancy goat? All the Wonder Billies were gift-with-gem-purchase, so could be same.