Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
'googling' is already basically a prayer for knowledge, we don't know how it works we just know a human made it at some point

all we need is to forget that and we can get going on our religious technocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I still ask Jeeves

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

'googling' is already basically a prayer for knowledge, we don't know how it works we just know a human made it at some point

Magical Black Box mysticism loses all its bullshitting power when the inputs and outputs are all readily comprehensible to laypersons though. If you want bullshit persuasive enough to run a theocracy it'll need at least two levels of obfuscation and separation, so bored/clever users can't just bruteforce their way to reformatting god.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

https://youtu.be/Cl14xh4GSrc

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

silentsnack posted:

Magical Black Box mysticism loses all its bullshitting power when the inputs and outputs are all readily comprehensible to laypersons though. If you want bullshit persuasive enough to run a theocracy it'll need at least two levels of obfuscation and separation, so bored/clever users can't just bruteforce their way to reformatting god.

right we just need to get a little stupider or for Google to disable any indications of how the system works, maybe limit everyone to 10-15 Questionings a day so they can't play word games to figure it out

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

silentsnack posted:

Deep Neural Networks :pseudo:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
What if the "humanity was more advanced in ancient times" are on to something and what we thought were gods were basically Google and Amazon?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

It’s like google, but he fucks

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is this

https://www.reno.gov/home/showdocument?id=70957

"hey we have outsourced government"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Grognan posted:

wtf is this

https://www.reno.gov/home/showdocument?id=70957

"hey we have outsourced government"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddnvlQgH9w

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Media Bloodbath posted:

Deep Neural Networks :pseudo:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/va_shiva/status/1051821416012816390

The fact that we legitimately have something called blood quantum laws is cyberpunk as gently caress.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Not all tribes observe blood quantum laws for membership, but they wouldn't include Elizabeth Warren anyway.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's odd that the same people who keep challenging her genetic purity are also the same people who keep using it as an excuse to call her ethnic slurs.

Speaking of native americans, North Dakota voter ID laws are taking away their vote. In yet another example of how literally the only reason for voter ID laws is vote suppression.

Supreme Court was fine with it though, which kinda reflects another trend with the Supreme Court consistently failing to react to politically corrupt system rigging, which segues into something that's really cyberpunk: RedMaP, the Redistricting Majority Project, wherein they use big data to find and take advantage of local elections where they can rig a majority in a state to gerrymander district lines for decades to come. RedMaP was already a major factor in the Republican landslide in 2018. It's going to come to the supreme court, but that's not really something to be enthusiastic about.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/06/01/616216560/episode-845-redmap

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

The Supreme Court will soon rule it unconstitutional to hold elections during a time of war tbh

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1051465597605818369?s=19

It's not a bug it's a feature!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Charles Motherfucking Babbage posted:

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Would you like to know more? (TW: Wikipedia)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Computers are literally magic boxes to so many people. The sheer wilful ignorance people have towards them fascinates and frustrates me daily.

It's not that they don't know about how they work, its that they don't want to know, and even act offended if you try and educate them!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I think you'll find they work exactly as I think they should, as I have paid several thousand dollars.

It is you, computer person, who is failing me but keeping the machine's potential hidden.

What, no, I don't need to know the process. Hah! Computers reengineer our processes, you fool!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Usually tech companies just hide beyond their algorithms and act like they're mathematically beyond reproach for baking bias into their systems.

I guess kudos for Amazon for admitting fault?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lmaooooo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where's this from, it's great

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
we uad a postdoc for a while who insisted on doing even the most basic data analysis with neural nets

she didnt last long lmao

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't even know what a neural net is or deep learning so I feel I am ill prepared for the cyberpunk future

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't even know what a neural net is or deep learning so I feel I am ill prepared for the cyberpunk future

we already went over it its this

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Food Boner posted:

we uad a postdoc for a while who insisted on doing even the most basic data analysis with neural nets

she didnt last long lmao

to follow up, she managed to con somebody into a probably 6 figure sv data science job

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
:capitalism:

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It's just function approximating. We give it a poo poo ton of variables and their answers, it makes up a function that relates them together as best it can.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
content post from pooky

:vince:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its just The Machine That Won The War

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I feel like this interaction qualifies for this thread

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my coworker just went off about how great it would be if we had holodecks because "you can kill people for real in those things."

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my coworker just went off about how great it would be if we had holodecks because "you can kill people for real in those things."
the ultimate product of human technology will be rape and murder simulators

also sexbots and killbots

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

you can do that in real life too???

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I had a coworker proselytizing about the flat earth so someone called me over to debunk it and the conversation got onto conspiracies theories and the Kennedy assassination and a russian coworker was adamant that it was not russia but rather that it was the jews citing oswald's last name lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ted cruz's dad wasnt russian or jewish though

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Former DILF posted:

I had a coworker proselytizing about the flat earth so someone called me over to debunk it and the conversation got onto conspiracies theories and the Kennedy assassination and a russian coworker was adamant that it was not russia but rather that it was the jews citing oswald's last name lmao

how do you look at the kennedy assassination against the backdrop of CIA activity at the time and not just go "oh, it's part of that general pattern". even chomsky has said that it doesn't matter who killed kennedy, and it'd hardly be the worst thing they did.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also Kennedy deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
:ok: