Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Cause fallout specifically is about stories of people in the wasteland. They added multiplayer and took out ALL npc's.

You can have fun in an mmo, you can have fun in a survival game. You can have fun in multiplayer. It is the opposite of what makes fallout fun and I have no idea why anyone wants the movement and gunplay of fallout without the rest of the game. That poo poo's what you put up with to be in the wasteland.

Now it's all wasteland trash digging. If it had the rest of a fallout game I would play it.

Reading this made me realize how loving empty of anything interesting the Commonwealth is (compared to the previous four Fallout games). There's tons of places but apart from like three places, every person you meet is just a big bad meanie who starts shooting at your player character the moment they see them and it's a lot more like Doom for most of the time than it is like uhh... well, like Fallout.

It's like a MMO game without the other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
NPCs are in Fallout 76.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Long Hours Crew weighs in:

https://twitter.com/JosephJBroni/status/1044076948220084224

Best part is, some bootlicker comes in and says "oh but you're the boss/owner who stays longer than the rest of your employees" and the dude replies "yeah that benefits me personally, so I do it"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
How the hell do you remove all NPCs? Is this some sort of experiment?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Over There posted:

You just do not add them to the game. Luckily we won't find out with Fallout 76 since it has npcs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Over There posted:

It’s buying time until the next Skyrim rerelease.

Mr Hootington posted:

You just do not add them to the game. Luckily we won't find out with Fallout 76 since it has npcs.

Yes I love to interact with

*check notes*

Vault Tec Robot and Broken Mr Handy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

God itself asked Bethesda to make Fallout 76. But only made one limit: you shall not make NPCs.

Is a silly limit and I think a super mutant vendor walking around with a pet, and a dead body on the floor that have a audio record next to it is pushing that limit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No human NPC’s

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Long Hours Crew weighs in:

https://twitter.com/JosephJBroni/status/1044076948220084224

Best part is, some bootlicker comes in and says "oh but you're the boss/owner who stays longer than the rest of your employees" and the dude replies "yeah that benefits me personally, so I do it"

Yeah but Iron Galaxy Studios have made nothing of note for years and are mainly a porting house. Their dev cycles are absolutely not equivalent to the kind of games AAA developers are churning out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

No human NPC’s

Here’s Todd himself explaining:

quote:

“There are no NPCs. So that’s one of the big differences that we really leaned on, which is every character you see is a real person. But there are still robots and terminals and holotapes.”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Here’s Todd himself explaining:

Steve Yun is one of those "other people are just NPCs heh" Gamergaters or whatever.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

No human NPC’s

Mutants are also people. So what about the supermutant vendor.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's an interesting thought, try and increase immersion by ensuring that every other human you run into in the game is an actual human being.

Unfortunately that sounds like it'll just make the world all that more dull and lifeless. This really sounds more and more like a generic zombie MMO with pipcrap splattered all over it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Steve Yun is one of those "other people are just NPCs heh" Gamergaters or whatever.

What

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MZ posted:

Yeah but Iron Galaxy Studios have made nothing of note for years and are mainly a porting house. Their dev cycles are absolutely not equivalent to the kind of games AAA developers are churning out.

They literally just made a mainstream full-priced game, although it got bad reviews they still managed to do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

It's an interesting thought, try and increase immersion by ensuring that every other human you run into in the game is an actual human being

If I wanted to be around humans I wouldn't be at home sat playing video games.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reading this made me realize how loving empty of anything interesting the Commonwealth is (compared to the previous four Fallout games). There's tons of places but apart from like three places, every person you meet is just a big bad meanie who starts shooting at your player character the moment they see them and it's a lot more like Doom for most of the time than it is like uhh... well, like Fallout.

It's like a MMO game without the other players.

Actually I don’t think this is a fair criticism. There’s actually a lot of stuff out there: interesting little non stories like a couple of skeletons in a pose that implies something that happened or minor NPCs or just holotapes you happen across. I’ve played the game four times and I still find new things I hadn’t seen before like the cat rancher

If you just blaze through the storyline you miss 90% of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fallout 76 is gonna suck fucken chodes and you can take that to the bank

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just can't help but wonder how hilariously broken the physics will be on the release day of Fallout 76

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuringa posted:

I just can't help but wonder how hilariously broken the physics will be on the release day of Fallout 76

Have you looked at Skyrim today?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Samuringa posted:

:skyrim giant send player to orbit.gif:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yeah it'll be exactly as broken as it ever is, but in multiplayer this time. so even more broken I guess since you have more chances to hit a bug

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Got an ad e-mail from Square-Enix for something and the Yoji Shinkawa art immediately caught my attention. Pretty hard let-down to read "survival action shooter" in the text below :(

(E: It was an ad for Left Alive.)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There was a study recently about how most people don’t think with an internal monologue (aka a literal voice talking in your head) and some people on 4chan picked up on it and built a theory that most people around them are actually NPCs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do most people not have that?

e: the monologue not the NPCs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought failing to recognize the interiority of others was one sign of certain types of mental illness?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

I thought failing to recognize the interiority of others was one sign of certain types of mental illness?

It's called conservatism. Blammo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Back in the 1970s there was a popular psychological theory that posited that until about 3,000 years ago, human beings really didn't have a clear sense of their internal monologue as something that existed within their own minds. Instead there was a bicameral divide between the voice that commanded and the body that obeyed, and people would receive this voice as coming from outside their own consciousness. In this light mental illnesses such as schizophrenia or psychosis would be unrecognizable as such. Your own inner monologue really would seem like the voice of God or spirits commanding you to action. It was called Bicameralism and remains interesting, although controversial as it's more of a social development theory than one that can be clinically verified.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There was a study recently about how most people don’t think with an internal monologue (aka a literal voice talking in your head) and some people on 4chan picked up on it and built a theory that most people around them are actually NPCs

All of this is insane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Imagine reading about P-Zombies and thinking "yeah that's real", it's like How to Identify/Manufacture a Sociopath 101

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

Is hard for us open source developers to find artist. Thats one thing. Another is most open source game developers are very user orinted, create the features that user ask. Users have no imagination and only ask for incremental enhancements, users never ask the things that can push a game forward.
Another reason is foss game dev is tiny. Is only a small group of people. Theres way more indies, close source game devs and other awesome animals than us.

Note: My contribution to ezquake was super tiny, only some particle effects and some netcode related stuff. It was before youtube was a thing, humans still had dinnosaurs has pets and half europe was below ice.
Tei were you in the Q1 scene around the turn of the century?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Akuma posted:

Tei were you in the Q1 scene around the turn of the century?

Akuma, is that you? give me a hug.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tei posted:

Akuma, is that you? give me a hug.
Ohhh shiiit!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I must be struggling to get rid of my twentieth century thinking because my first thought upon reading that was "wait, how old do you think both Tei and Q1 modding are?"

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just read about aphantasia

A guy discovering that he has it:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/blake-ross/aphantasia-how-it-feels-to-be-blind-in-your-mind/10156834777480504

(Other links about it:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pristine-inner-experience/201110/not-everyone-conducts-inner-speech
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/24/experience-i-cant-picture-things-in-my-mind
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...470c5d214d6c037
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-the-minds-eye-is-blind1/)

so... people think differently :eng101:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 16, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, it’s so tough to convince people around me that Odyssey is actually really good because people have been so burned by Ubisoft already. It’s hard to blame them, especially when Far Cry 5 wasn’t that far back, but.....it actually is so great though!!! It’s like a hornier Skyrim with sailing

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, it’s so tough to convince people around me that Odyssey is actually really good because people have been so burned by Ubisoft already. It’s hard to blame them, especially when Far Cry 5 wasn’t that far back, but.....it actually is so great though!!! It’s like a hornier Skyrim with sailing

Yeah, especially with the well poisoning it got. Greece is pretty amazing for a setting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been having a great time playing AC Odyssey. It's a huge open-world game, it's messy in places, it has a hundred different systems that sometimes work really well together and sometimes don't, but the scale and setting are amazing and I've enjoyed pretty much every place I've visited. Haven't put so many hours into a game this quickly in a long time! I'm also super addicted to the photo mode. I've never been a big AC fan before but if they keep moving in this direction then I'm totally down.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

You should have seen us trying earlier in the thread, people are very hard headed even though everyone around them is having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Are you loving kidding me that Kaine's Scarlet Spider is going to be DLC