Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I'm guessing this is simplified welsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Dein Betriebssystem ist ein Stück Scheiße!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

pretty sure at some point they set up a charity and because it was run by google people they decided the most impactful way to spend money helping people was to prevent malevolent ai because who cares about starving people if they're going to get murdered by a killbot in the year 3000 anyway

#effectivealtruism

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

defa graq ewhbqteajhnyrjtchymi, ygjkyi,jk

qbag fvta lbh ner cbfgf

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hääyöaie

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

lancemantis posted:

#effectivealtruism

and then they spend the money on math pets and only get quoted or cited by actual AI people when the rich donator leans a lot

and can only fit in the general intro

sadly they never quote the best bits of red titty up, white titty down

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
of what?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

you are insufficiently learned in the works of the sacred prophet, Eliezer Yudkowsky

math pets

here's the amazon link because i can't be assed to actually search for more

https://www.amazon.de/Girl-Corrupted-Internet-Summoned-English-ebook/dp/B01B2BP726

someone who's identity i will protect told me that he introduced a idea known as "governance" instead of the regular meaning, and that he got that concept from an anime fanfic he's been vocally fond of

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 16, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shaggar posted:

the local governments were putting barriers in their way in the form of racist political appointees so capital had to find a way to defeat them.

yes they told people to speak to the actual USPS employees instead

reconstruction lifehacks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao uber/lyft are responsible for 50% increased congestion in SF

get hosed ridesharing already

https://www.kqed.org/news/11699063/city-analysis-uber-lyft-are-biggest-contributors-to-slowdown-in-s-f-traffic

i also totally believe it. at least a third of cars outside my office are lyft/uber stickered.

tho i think another point is increase in traffic-redirecting gps. 101 sucks and increasingly more apps will tell east-bay bound commuters to take 280n to king/3rd/bryant/essex/harrison/some combination instead of staying on 101 as it can shave off 15+ minutes. this leads to massive deadlock in soma/fidi with hemorrhoid busting commuters trying to get back onto the bay bridge at the lovely gridlocked onramps in the downtown area instead. that's noticeably way worse as well over the last 5+ years.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 16, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.palm.com/

its a tiny phone for when your regular phone is too big to carry around. it has "life mode" where when the screen is off it doesn't do anything, which is definitely different from turning the actual thing off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

tho i think another point is increase in traffic-redirecting gps.

That's incredibly good irl

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hifi posted:

its a tiny phone for when your regular phone is too big to carry around. it has "life mode" where when the screen is off it doesn't do anything, which is definitely different from turning the actual thing off.

want this but as a phone not a dumb thing that pairs with your phone

want a phone that fits in my wallet

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lancemantis posted:

Bagels without cream cheese are pro BDS aka anti Israel aka anti Semitic

quick reminder that opposing the genocidal apartheid state of israel is not anti-semitic

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to drive anywhere in san francisco during business hours

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses san francisco

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

china phones are too big so now we make a little phone to go with your big phone and your tiny smartwatch phone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
seriously tho lol at all the people mad that other people are driving on THEIR ROAD how dare the app say the public road is a through route

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hifi posted:

very cool. now what if we made it even smaller and then added a band that straps to your wrist and then instead of android it ran iOS, the worlds most advanced operating system?

that would be even cooler

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the car commuter mantra is “here’s what everyone else needs to do...”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

the car commuter mantra is “here’s what everyone else needs to do...”

driving would be great if it weren't for all this drat traffic!!!!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

seriously tho lol at all the people mad that other people are driving on THEIR ROAD how dare the app say the public road is a through route

i think u mean *~ratrunners~*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
remember people shrieking for hours about how dare google not remove a public street in los angeles from waze. and how google was being "smug" for saying 'yeah we're not going to block routing unless the relevant transport authority actually makes it a limited use street'

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they won't do it anyway

california has a lot of roadways that just aren't designed for traffic of any real volume and there's just no real way to cope with a bunch of computers now trying to exploit all roadways

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
every time i want to go to the marina goog suggests the tourist-filled trolley as a viable transit leg

slightly better than Transit's pedestrian routing, which does not take into account fiddly lil things like "elevation"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lancemantis posted:

they won't do it anyway

california has a lot of roadways that just aren't designed for traffic of any real volume and there's just no real way to cope with a bunch of computers now trying to exploit all roadways

there was a story a few months ago about some backwoods road that’s not safe by modern standards but grandfathered into being legally drivable somehow and waze keeps sending unwary drivers down it and causing accidents

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

there was a story a few months ago about some backwoods road that’s not safe by modern standards but grandfathered into being legally drivable somehow and waze keeps sending unwary drivers down it and causing accidents

this is every set of directions provided by google in WV. roads fine for what it is but I ain’t saving time driving 20 miles on one lane of gravel, google. even if the speed limit is 30

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

JawnV6 posted:

fiddly lil things like "elevation"

plz work out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

they won't do it anyway

there's no reason to do it. it's just a drat road

see what you're saying is "california has normal roads" and "i'm mad other people are driving the road i drive". there is no exploit going on here, it's a public road, it's meant to be driven on. if it's for real too dangerous for people to drive on it should be blocked off to traffic.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

that was a good one

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i enjoy the "all roads are equally suited to all purposes" tack that fishmech is taking in this thread, let's see how it plays out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is Road and Traffic Management one of the great derails of the techbubble thread, then

seems like it would be

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

agreed, good beep

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

is Road and Traffic Management one of the great derails of the techbubble thread, then

seems like it would be

everything that isnt road and traffic management is a derail imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Skim Milk posted:

agreed, good beep

uh, thanbks? ?? ???????

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Skim Milk posted:

everything that isnt road and traffic management is a derail imo

paging southern road and babby engineer stymie

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
weather, traffic and house prices are the three universal topics of conversation you can have with anyone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stymie posted:

i enjoy the "all roads are equally suited to all purposes" tack that fishmech is taking in this thread, let's see how it plays out

i wonder what city in the us has the most steep road if only someone knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
prolly Philadelphia, the amsterdam of the atlantic seaboard