Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I usually execute everyone I cant ransom except woman and children (Im not a monster) and vassals (whom I just keep locked until they die)

Children are useful because you can educate them into your religion and culture then send them back to cause problems as adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Children are useful because you can educate them into your religion and culture then send them back to cause problems as adults.
Sometimes - they have to be less than 10, I think. But yeah, I always do that when possible. Less to cause problems than to bring them to the Truth.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sometimes it's good to release prominent vassals because you get a nice opinion bonus with all your vassals for being merciful.

A good way to break up factions is to let your vassals plot against each other unchecked, then use those plots to justify waging preemptive wars to imprison them, then release one of the prominent vassals to get that bonus to all your other vassals who aren't already rotting in your dungeon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Phlegmish posted:

Do you routinely execute prisoners? Man, that'd make me feel bad. I only execute people if they plotted to kill me, my spouse or close family (assuming I like the target).

all kids get released, all women get put in house arrest (and then ransomed [or released if they're young, single, and childless]), all men caught in war get the chop. I see it as just an extension of the battle, should have stayed home if you didn't want no smoke

e: vassals involved in plots against me or the fam get the oubliette immediately

e2: it's funny that you can send gifts to prisoners. also, you should be able to force-adopt kids in your prison, some of the little homies have been geniuses/strong/etc and I didn't wanna let them go.

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 16, 2018

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I chop-chop, blot-blot all my prisoners.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

indigi posted:

all kids get released, all women get put in house arrest (and then ransomed [or released if they're young, single, and childless]), all men caught in war get the chop. I see it as just an extension of the battle, should have stayed home if you didn't want no smoke

I just recruit everybody. All my generals, court physicians, wives, etc, all straight from prison.

Since I installed conclave I've always been rolling in money, so I barely ever ransom people. I execute some people who personally offend me, everyone else can just stay in prison forever.

Sometimes when I see someone in my prison who has been there for longer than my character has been alive and I don't remember what they're in for, I just let them go.

Once I imprisoned my son's fiancee, and she came out with a nice rat friend.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is it possible that having a bunch of duchies you have no counties for is bringing malus? Because it doesn’t seem explicit in any tool tips if so.
Yes, they will want duchies if they hold counties in de jure duchy. And I think you should not hold more than 2 duchies.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 16, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Do you routinely execute prisoners?
no, there's no money in executions. I never execute anyone. I also never release anyone. Everyone stays in the dungeon forever unless someone's willing to pay up. If you complain, you go in the oubliette, which is probably a mercy because then you eventually die instead of lingering into your eighties in a windowless prison. I had a girl I captured in a raid when she was 0. Nobody willing to pay for her. 3 kings later, she's 74, old and feeble. and sick, and finally I notice some distant relation of hers is willing to pay up 10 ducats for her, so I let her go. Probably didn't last long, but it makes no difference to me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Usually I let my dungeon fill up until it's getting hard to find a specific person in it then mass ransom anyone who isn't a vassal and mass execute those who couldn't afford it. Like someone else said vassals stay in there because they did something to deserve it and executing them will only piss off their heir. The only time I've ever recruited anyone was if I wanted to use them for religion swapping. Educating the children in your culture/religion is a good idea though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It never occurred to me to recruit people or educate children from the jail, Ill surely try that out my next game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

cock hero flux posted:

no, there's no money in executions. I never execute anyone. I also never release anyone. Everyone stays in the dungeon forever unless someone's willing to pay up. If you complain, you go in the oubliette, which is probably a mercy because then you eventually die instead of lingering into your eighties in a windowless prison. I had a girl I captured in a raid when she was 0. Nobody willing to pay for her. 3 kings later, she's 74, old and feeble. and sick, and finally I notice some distant relation of hers is willing to pay up 10 ducats for her, so I let her go. Probably didn't last long, but it makes no difference to me.

:same: I sweep up and down the list for non-greyed out ransom icons on occasion and leave everybody else to loving rot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sydin posted:

:same: I sweep up and down the list for non-greyed out ransom icons on occasion and leave everybody else to loving rot.

you know that screen has a set of filters now, including "can be ransomed"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh I know, pretty sure there's even a "ransom all" button now that just does it automatically. But I like to double check who people are before I let them go just in case.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I was playing a ruler of Sweden on my way to forming the empire of Scandinavia. Conquering Finland had me facing the clown car of gently caress you free armies from them blowing prestige and piety. I won a few battles, managed to start sieging down tribal holdings. then more thousands of free gently caress you comes pouring out of Russia. Usually, i only execute people i capture if i'm running a blot or the like. thanks to how Finland is divided into many individual counts, i was capturing many entire courts in my sieges. i think i hit execute on 80-90 people at once, because they pissed me off with that free army poo poo so hard that i decided genocide if their ruling class was the right way to go. So many dying baby screams.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about forming your own mercenary company? It just seems like a penalty to your entire demesne that loses more money that it generates.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing about forming your own mercenary company? It just seems like a penalty to your entire demesne that loses more money that it generates.

if you put your kid in charge of it they get a good trait, also you can continuously pour money into it as a hobby to eventually create a giant shitstomp brigade that you can summon for peanuts at a moment's notice

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You're not missing anything. In addition to the levy penalty you also have to give the mercenary leader a bunch of money for them to actually amass a significant amount of troops. The only time I use it is when playing a nomadic realm, giving my intended heir a merc band so he can build up prestige.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sydin posted:

Oh I know, pretty sure there's even a "ransom all" button now that just does it automatically. But I like to double check who people are before I let them go just in case.

Unfortunately the ransom all button doesn't ransom multiple people from the same realm. I wish if the ruler had enough cash on hand to pay for all of them at once it would actually ransom them all at once.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The only people I execute are peasant rebellion leaders, who permanently loathe you anyway. Vassals stay in prison for life, though I'll occasionally free a weak one for the Merciful bonus.

With war prisoners, I check their traits and their relationship with their liege. Seeds of trouble, such as Elusive Shadows that hate their liege, get released right away even if there's no ransom. Useful ones, like high-skill positive-opinion courtiers, rot in the dungeon for a long while. Anyone in between gets ransomed or eventually released.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Main Paineframe posted:

The only people I execute are peasant rebellion leaders, who permanently loathe you anyway.

Why execute them when you can instead publically humiliate them, then watch as "Broken Spirit" or whatever it's called leads to them dying ignominiously within a few months back on the farm?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I used to, as a pious Christian type, send them all off to Templar orders, but that modifier makes them so drat useless. It'd be nice if it went away if you send them off like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Various Meat Products posted:

You're not missing anything. In addition to the levy penalty you also have to give the mercenary leader a bunch of money for them to actually amass a significant amount of troops. The only time I use it is when playing a nomadic realm, giving my intended heir a merc band so he can build up prestige.

Also he will keep asking for more men no matter how many you give him, and get dissatisfaction penalties when you refuse. Eventually this leads to him breaking off and taking your entire investment with him. Never mind that the reason you didn't give him more troops was because he already had 10,000 and literally nobody short of a major empire could afford to hire him - he'll be entirely content to sit on his rear end earning no money ever because you said he couldn't have another cohort of pike.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Yes, they will want duchies if they hold counties in de jure duchy. And I think you should not hold more than 2 duchies.

In both this Aquitaine game and my Orkney game I am holding like 5 duchies. Does each one add to prestige as “held” when you die, or is it just the single title you hold that adds to house prestige?

Also, quick question: how does a 4-year-old girl end up excommunicated? My liege the baby queen of France is defending against like 4 people including the HRE and England because of it. (Maybe this is the time to declare independence. Especially since I moved my capital to Córdoba)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

In both this Aquitaine game and my Orkney game I am holding like 5 duchies. Does each one add to prestige as “held” when you die, or is it just the single title you hold that adds to house prestige?

Also, quick question: how does a 4-year-old girl end up excommunicated? My liege the baby queen of France is defending against like 4 people including the HRE and England because of it. (Maybe this is the time to declare independence. Especially since I moved my capital to Córdoba)
That's -30 opinion malus for holding 3 duchies above the limit. About dynasty prestige, from ck2 wiki:

quote:

Dynasty prestige is calculated by summing up all titles held by living dynasty members plus those held by deceased ones. The same title will count multiple times if held by several dynasty members in succession, so if A holds a kingdom and his son B later inherits it, the dynasty will be credited with two held kingdoms and 40 prestige.
Don't know about child excommunications, someone probably requested excommunication.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dwesa posted:

That's -30 opinion malus for holding 3 duchies above the limit. About dynasty prestige, from ck2 wiki:

Don't know about child excommunications, someone probably requested excommunication.

Thanks for this. I forgot you can request excommunications.

Also that article doesn’t seem to answer my question: if I die as a kingdom holder and also hold a capital duchy and its counties (say 1 duchy 2 counties), will I get 40 points (20 kingdom + 10 duchy + 5x2 counties), or just 20 from the highest title? Because if it’s the former, maybe it’s not so bad to hold multiple duchies as a duke if you’re just going for scoreboard and don’t care as much about relations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Thanks for this. I forgot you can request excommunications.

Also that article doesn’t seem to answer my question: if I die as a kingdom holder and also hold a capital duchy and its counties (say 1 duchy 2 counties), will I get 40 points (20 kingdom + 10 duchy + 5x2 counties), or just 20 from the highest title? Because if it’s the former, maybe it’s not so bad to hold multiple duchies as a duke if you’re just going for scoreboard and don’t care as much about relations.

You will get 40 points. Your dynasty gets prestige for every single title you hold at death, including baronies.

Still, in bigger realms it's simply not worth it to go around with a -30 opinion penalty. Land more of your dynasty so that they can contribute.

In regards to the "victory screen" score, only amassed prestige+piety counts. And if I recall correctly, vassal kings for example give you more prestige per month than holding the kingdom title personally.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nm

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
My AtE game is becoming a paint the map game pretty quick. Starting as the Delgado family in Cartagena, my pirate brethren crime family has had enough money and trade posts to stay in charge for the last 150 years. Now I'm playing the immortal genius bastard. Merchant republics at empire scale are crazy. If you give a merchant family a kingdom, they create their own merchant republics and those families get their own trade posts. I haven't started a war in half a century and these families collect coastal cities like they're bottle caps. I let an annoying duke relative in South America go independent, and they conquered the ENTIRE coastline. Two rebellions later, he's landless in my court and I've got a claimant for half of the continent. That's not even talking about how the entirety of Honduras, Guatemala and southern Mexico were taken by the other republics when I wasn't even looking. I didn't even want that. I was working on claiming/conquering the Caribbean and handing it out county by county to close Delgado relatives. Weirdly, Cuba had been conquered in a Protestant crusade before three Holy Colombian Confederacy and all the fun cultures became southron AND Protestant. Of course, this was ruined by the sudden collapse of Dixieland, which succumbed to the consumerist uprising right away. Someday I'll play the Confederacy for a "Knights of the Golden Circle" ending. That would be fun.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle

Probably the best part of pirate faith in this mod is that you get to pick between three of your favorite pirate stereotypes to get as traits once you're landed. Duelist/wroth, impaler/cruel, or hedonist/drunk. It's really great.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 17, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The only super serious problem I have with this game is there's basically no reason ever to instantly become either a scientist or satanist. Ever. Some variety outside of those two would be nice.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
sure, i could become a dominican, win a couple arguments and build some dumbass temples with all my money and maybe help some courtiers overcome their gluttony or lust or whatever

or. OR!

*manipulates the demonically posessed Pope like a puppet in order to excommunicate zealous crusaders so they can get a taste of their own medicine, whilst firing up a Brass Bull perfectly sized for that one ambitious ducal rival*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Benedictine / Dominicans also have a high likelihood of developing virtuous traits, on top of the whole "turn the heir spigot on/off" which combined with ultimogeniture is great for creating a long-term succession of geniuses.

Also I'm pretty sure you have to be in the order first before you can steal the relics of Christ, and if you aren't plotting to snatch Jesus's foreskin what are you even doing with your life?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I like to wait until my dude's old and depressed, then steal the dickskin and suicide. My heir gets it like 90% of the time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Willie Tomg posted:

sure, i could become a dominican, win a couple arguments and build some dumbass temples with all my money and maybe help some courtiers overcome their gluttony or lust or whatever

or. OR!

*manipulates the demonically posessed Pope like a puppet in order to excommunicate zealous crusaders so they can get a taste of their own medicine, whilst firing up a Brass Bull perfectly sized for that one ambitious ducal rival*

Join a religious order for a generation or two to steal the best unique holy artifacts. THEN become a satanist or a scientist and keep your robe of jesus and nail of the true cross

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Willie Tomg posted:

The only super serious problem I have with this game is there's basically no reason ever to instantly become either a scientist or satanist. Ever. Some variety outside of those two would be nice.

Assassins are pretty cool. And going satanist or hermetics every time is boring. Yes, from a power point of view, the priestly orders are not as good as the former two. But the different events alone make them worthwhile for me. I don't understand the complaint a lack of variety when you ignore flavorful alternatives just because they are not powerful enough for you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Assassins are pretty cool. And going satanist or hermetics every time is boring. Yes, from a power point of view, the priestly orders are not as good as the former two. But the different events alone make them worthwhile for me. I don't understand the complaint a lack of variety when you ignore flavorful alternatives just because they are not powerful enough for you.

Choosing between fun and effective isn't fun.

Mind you, as I've mentioned I don't think there's actually that much of a gap in this case; the various societies are different tools for different purposes and I've used all of them to great effect.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Depends on play styles.
For example, I don't mind gavelkind because it leads to fun with fratricide, and even if my current character loses, his successor is still my dynasty so I don't lose.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I should probably play some more AtE. Last time I played I couldn't figure it out, playing as a Sagrado Corazon character, is there a way to change your saint? Because it seems to be passed down and I got a Santa Muerte character, but I super wanted to be a dynasty of Luchadores.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

At least with my big Indian empire game, I've been having an easier time keeping the realm stable with the hindu/buddhist/jain monastic orders than I have with the devil worshippers. I have so many vassals that using devil magic to kill/corrupt one or two of them now and then wont make much difference to be worth the risk, and devil worship gives me negative traits over time. It seems better to stick with the nice societies that give me nice traits and remove the bad ones.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 18, 2018

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Whoops double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How often should I go searching for a Smith? Are the diferent tiers of equipment depending on count/duke/king/emperor rank, prestige or what?

• Locked thread