Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shifty Nipples posted:

I'm on antidepressants, I've done therapy but I'm still massively depressed. Not suicidal though so I guess that counts for something. Is there a thread for wallowing in existential dread?

I suggest daily bike rides (maybe even commuting). I tried the drugs decades ago and had a nasty reaction (super elevated BP). Daily rides keep me somewhat centered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

I suggest daily bike rides (maybe even commuting). I tried the drugs decades ago and had a nasty reaction (super elevated BP). Daily rides keep me somewhat centered.

For whatever reason I always feel like I need a destination when I ride my bike, it feels weird to just ride around. But you're right I should ride more.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amazing how americans always manage to make it about themselves and their feelings, how sad they are about the awful things they're doing

just like with the vietnam/iraq war movies

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

amazing how americans always manage to make it about themselves and their feelings, how sad they are about the awful things they're doing

Sorry I have too much empathy.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

poo poo is going to hell much faster than expected. http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/10/09/1722477115 This study is indicating a massive drop off in insect populations worldwide. Both Germany and Puerto Rico have recorded big declines in areas that are nature reserves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StabbinHobo posted:

Yeah only Americans feel sad about a massive existential problem that they have little to no personal control over. What selfish assholes.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Some of yall need to relax a little.

Heres some good news for once

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gvyn9b/marijuana-will-thrive-in-the-climate-apocalypse

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shifty Nipples posted:

For whatever reason I always feel like I need a destination when I ride my bike, it feels weird to just ride around. But you're right I should ride more.

I'm without any car from Monday to Friday (in LA) so it's bike to work/shopping/dinner etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Yeah only Americans feel sad about a massive existential problem that they have little to no personal control over. What selfish assholes.

Hence the biking suggestion. At least by cycling to work, I'm doing something.

And yeah, not eating meat helps both problems too.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

this is the new denial, the lie that the traitors will repeat over and over

you can reduce your footprint by half with simple common lifestyle changes. the *other* half will have to come from systemic change.

every ton matters

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Talking and reading about radical philosophy with people was no joke the final piece to solving my depression about a future marked by uncontrollable bad things happening in society. A little dose of nihilist-aligned rejections of set meaning or aims to life and embracement of finding personal fulfillment in unorthodox places (such as failed attempts to achieve an uncertain goal, which is really counterintuitive to a neurotic personality), and a big dose of communist-aligned practical theory of how people might get together and build both the theoretical understanding and practical power to do something about a global, degenerate system in terrible conflict with with real needs and capabilities, and have succeeded too, to various not totally satisfactory extents using various alternative strategies, but succeeded nonetheless.

Did the pills and therapy too, which certainly helped in a lot of ways, but if those alone somehow did it, the conclusive effect was delayed by years, and i had neither when it hit. Finding something to counter persistent notions of a preset good life rendered unachievable, and confusion, powerlessness and isolation as insurmountable rather than solvable problems seems to have been very helpful, and tangible, therapy-like effects started happening basically immediately.

StabbinHobo posted:

you can reduce your footprint by half with simple common lifestyle changes. the *other* half will have to come from systemic change.

every ton matters

Every ton matters indeed, but clearly what really gets people to understand and appreciate the powers they have is insulting them for not being as woke as you. That sort of black-and-white moralism is a sign of sects that want to feel superior to outsiders and blame them for the inevitable failure of their group to change anything, not broad movements that manage to build the momentum to get stuff done.

Besides, the first thing you have to do before your strategy of voluntarist consumption-cutting can really achieve anything significant even if it were a popular movement is to either decouple carbon emissions from GDP or make countries stop targeting GDP growth as their core metric of success. Otherwise the system will treat any significant success of your movement (forget about "half", more like 5%) as an economic recession and do its utmost to undo it by having someone else consume your share too.

uncop fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 16, 2018

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

This is god helping in mysterious ways by saying "yeah you shits have hosed it all up with your greed and selfishness, but at the very least you idiots can die high af to numb the suffering a bit. Good luck shitheads"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StabbinHobo posted:

every ton matters

Try like 95 percent needs to come from systemic changes. Individual account actions don't do poo poo except make those privileged enough to make them feel better about themselves.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Nothing has ever been achieved by example

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I eat complex carbohydrates in bulk and never use the toilet so that I'm a walking carbon sequestration system. When I die, SpaceX will shoot my body into orbit using a green-fuel rocket, where I will block out the sun for decades to come.

Be the change you want to see.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ras Het posted:

Nothing has ever been achieved by example

Yeah I feel like the example method is doing great! For instance I started driving an electric vehicle and it pissed my denier dad off SO much that he modified his truck for rolling coal.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

StabbinHobo posted:

every ton matters

Lament the selfishness of Americans, then in the next post tout the personal responsibility argument, lol

It's complete bullshit. Massive, forced, governmental policy changes is the only thing that will actually matter. It's not a matter of making the right bootstrap choices in consumption on an individual level anymore, we've been past that point for decades.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 16, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mann tweeted this out yesterday btw, the latest in a string of "The IPCC report was optimistic" posts he's been making lately. Considering he's been one of the most prominent doomsayer scolds in past years, yeah poo poo's real bad

https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/status/1051871585760624642?s=20

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Lament the selfishness of Americans, then in the next post tout the personal responsibility argument, lol

It's complete bullshit. Massive, forced, governmental policy changes is the only thing that will actually matter. It's not a matter of making the right bootstrap choices in consumption on an individual level anymore, we've been past that point for decades.

Yes. Even though I advocate personal action ... mainly because it benefits the person doing it ... we need massive WWII levels of mobilization and regulations to have a shot at living through this.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cc1 will be our ww2.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uncop posted:

Every ton matters indeed, but clearly what really gets people to understand and appreciate the powers they have is insulting them
hi you must be new here, welcome to the something awful forums

DrNutt posted:

Try like 95 percent needs to come from systemic changes. Individual account actions don't do poo poo except make those privileged enough to make them feel better about themselves.
this is categorically false, gently caress you for literally going out of your way to be counterproductive with dumb lies (presumably you're mostly lying to yourself but it doesnt matter).

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I used a very very simple fraction that usually pre-school level children have mastered, did it go over your head?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

"Oh man, I need to go out raiding for supplies but I am sooooo baked right now."

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What can a person do to reduce their foot print by half? Realistically how many people can make the choice do actually loving do those things? I tend to agree with the notion that individual footprint reduction is privileged rich liberal wankology so that they can feel good about themselves while they consume more than most poor people do already simply because poor people can't buy a new iphone/car/computer/whatever every year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StabbinHobo posted:

this is categorically false, gently caress you for literally going out of your way to be counterproductive with dumb lies (presumably you're mostly lying to yourself but it doesnt matter).

Lol nope. I've already done the single biggest thing I could ever hope to accomplish for the good of the planet by committing to nothaving children. The beef industry will not be halted by my personal decision to not eat burgers, we'd pretty much need martial law in this country to do anything about that. You really thunk you can set an example for others in a stupid loving country that elected Donald Trump president?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Doorknob Slobber posted:

What can a person do to reduce their foot print by half? Realistically how many people can make the choice do actually loving do those things? I tend to agree with the notion that individual footprint reduction is privileged rich liberal wankology so that they can feel good about themselves while they consume more than most poor people do already simply because poor people can't buy a new iphone/car/computer/whatever every year.

Vote and canvas for people that will make systemic changes. By educating yourself and changing your lifestyle you'll also get a better idea of what the policy behind those important systemic changes should look like.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Wakko posted:

Now that the IPCC is starting to talk frankly, it seems like there's a flood of mainstream reporting on what the reality of the end of this century looks like. The bulletin of atomic scientists published a piece calling the latest report optimistic, and now we're seeing large publications starting to get down to brass tacks. I can't imagine seeing this in the news a year ago:

quote:

So Heinberg suggests that if we’re serious about avoiding climate catastrophe, we need to look at shrinking overall economic activity, de-emphasizing GDP in favour of “quality of life indicators”, and reigning in population growth while instituting a guaranteed jobs program or a universal basic income.

“We’re headed for a crash sooner or later,” he observes. “Wouldn’t it be better to make the post-growth transition on our terms, rather than in crisis mode? Why not use the inevitability of the end of growth to our advantage by planning to reduce both mindless consumerism and carbon emissions, while increasing equity and quality of life?”

The UN's Devastating Climate Change Report Was Too Optimistic

The solution doesn't seem like or sound like communism. It's literally just communism.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Lol nope. I've already done the single biggest thing I could ever hope to accomplish for the good of the planet by committing to nothaving children. The beef industry will not be halted by my personal decision to not eat burgers, we'd pretty much need martial law in this country to do anything about that. You really thunk you can set an example for others in a stupid loving country that elected Donald Trump president?

What a mad little crybaby

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Vote and canvas for people that will make systemic changes. By educating yourself and changing your lifestyle you'll also get a better idea of what the policy behind those important systemic changes should look like.

Sure so long as those people aren't part of a capitalist party I have been and will continue to be active in politics. Realistically lifestyle changes are a privilege of those who have the money to buy an electric vehicle or live in an area with reasonable public transportation or be able to afford food that isn't just whatever is cheapest at the store today, etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Well, replacing a job that required flying 20+ round trips from San Diego to Baltimore in a year with one that means taking an Amtrak train from north San Diego County to Los Angeles on Monday (back on Friday) and using a bicycle for all transport during the week MAY have lowered my CO2 foot-print a mite.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, replacing a job that required flying 20+ round trips from San Diego to Baltimore in a year with one that means taking an Amtrak train from north San Diego County to Los Angeles on Monday (back on Friday) and using a bicycle for all transport during the week MAY have lowered my CO2 foot-print a mite.

Realistically speaking wouldn't they just hire someone else who is doing the 20+ round trips on a flight? Did reducing your own individual footprint do a thing that actually made an impact on climate change?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doorknob Slobber posted:

What can a person do to reduce their foot print by half? Realistically how many people can make the choice do actually loving do those things?
"people" or you?

quote:

I tend to agree with the notion that individual footprint reduction is privileged rich liberal wankology so that they can feel good about themselves while they consume more than most poor people do already simply because poor people can't buy a new iphone/car/computer/whatever every year.
of course you do, its the perfect excuse to justify your inaction.

what you can do has been posted a million times, for you to even be asking at this stage is proof itself.

DrNutt posted:

Lol nope. I've already done the single biggest thing I could ever hope to accomplish for the good of the planet by committing to nothaving children.
great

quote:

The beef industry will not be halted by my personal decision to not eat burgers
thats a very silly statement and you know it

you are missing the point about how simple a problem this is. you don't have to stop eating beef, but if you ate half as much beef as you did last year, assuming you're an average american, you could save about a ton of carbon. you chose where that ton goes. you don't have to quit or renounce or radically alter anything, you just have to not wallow in excuses and stupid splitting arguments.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there has never been a more perfectly fungible situation than the atmosphere

every ton matters

v No i'm not going to read the thread or do your googling for you you lazy entitled baby

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StabbinHobo posted:

of course you do, its the perfect excuse to justify your inaction.

Please post your list of things every single individual on earth can do to reduce their own footprint by half. I genuinely want to see your specific list since you're putting out specific numbers. The only thing I can think of that absolutely everyone can do is have less/no kids, but every person in real life I've ever met who has suggested that solution has had children of their own already or five years later has like three kids so I feel like that is also the dumbest most unrealistic suggestion ever. If there is one thing that is certain besides climate change killing us all its that humans are going to keep loving right until it does.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1052218646272122880

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1052219694701338624

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Literally the best thing that individuals could do is get involved in local politics to attempt incremental changes.

Here are some issues that would help, even if they seem silly:
- Paint roofs white, mandated by local ordinance.
- Solar power promotion.
- Wind power promotion.
- Advocate for women's rights.
- Promote family planning.
- Recycling aluminum and some other things.

Your footprint probably doesn't matter compared to things like that.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 17, 2018

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Sure so long as those people aren't part of a capitalist party I have been and will continue to be active in politics. Realistically lifestyle changes are a privilege of those who have the money to buy an electric vehicle or live in an area with reasonable public transportation or be able to afford food that isn't just whatever is cheapest at the store today, etc.

If you just want to make excuses for yourself you can talk to a mirror instead of wasting time in this thread

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If you just want to make excuses for yourself you can talk to a mirror instead of wasting time in this thread

Nah dude above you is right. Pretty much EVERYTHING is more important than your own individual footprint. The individual footprint wank is the mirror you talk to instead of wasting time in the thread.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Nah dude above you is right. Pretty much EVERYTHING is more important than your own individual footprint. The individual footprint wank is the mirror you talk to instead of wasting time in the thread.

The first thing on my list you started crying about was to go vote and canvas for politicians that can effect change. Alas they are all too capitalist for you so nothing can be done but impotent whining in this thread.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The first thing on my list you started crying about was to go vote and canvas for politicians that can effect change. Alas they are all too capitalist for you so nothing can be done but impotent whining in this thread.

Name a time a democrat or republican fixed climate change instead of making it worse and I'll name a time I'll vote for one.

Implying or claiming that voting in democrats or recycling or individual poo poo is going to fix climate change is pretty loving stupid considering none of that poo poo has worked in the past ~40 years but maybe if we keep on voting democrats and telling people to stop having children it will finally work in the next 12 years. Yup, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is my game plan.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just got home from a long weekend vacation to western europe (you can get some killer ticket deals these days!), and I'm going to Mexico in a few weeks, so thank you Stabbin Hobo and friends for riding bikes, ditching beef, and generally namaste-ing it up to offset my flights. :jerkbag:

I'll 100% vote for a government that, like, forbids international air travel on pain of death or makes beef eating illegal, but until that day I'm gonna enjoy what's left of this world because your individual carbon cutting means jack. poo poo.