Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

builds character posted:

interest on your mortgage is tax deductible.

except that now due to the lovely tax bill passed late last year, the deduction is limited to 10k a year between interest and property taxes :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

THEY ACCEPTED OUR OFFER

RIP your money

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

On the floor even!

Still makes me laugh after all these years. Good work! I will tell you what my parents told me when my wife and I bought our first place "With a new house comes a baby".

It happened.

Then it happened again not long after we built our house (second place). So goongrats on your forthcoming spawn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vasectomy is forthcoming. I ain't a breeder.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

They're paying you to take their money? That's not normal, that's insane.
Even when the cash rate here was ~1.25%, mortgages were at minimum 3% (for a very short time only). Every 3 months or so when the fed reviewed the rate, if they kept it steady banks would increase the rate by 0.1-0.25% just because, and if the fed increased the rate by 0.25%, the banks would increase their rate by 0.3-0.5%

E: when I had a house the official rate was 5.25% but banks charged 6-7% so I was paying 700+/wk

Mortgage rates in some EU countries are insanely low right now, which is just making housing bubbles bigger and bigger.

I'm paying 1,28% effective rate right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The whole "breeder" moniker is funny to me.

How old are you? Be careful about that because you may change your mind, we were one of those steadfast "kids lol no" people for years and I almost got snipped, glad I didn't go that route and had to have it reversed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The whole "breeder" moniker is funny to me.

How old are you? Be careful about that because you may change your mind, we were one of those steadfast "kids lol no" people for years and I almost got snipped, glad I didn't go that route and had to have it reversed.

Gonna be 40 in Feb my dude. And my wife is firmly against children for fear of passing on her broken DNA. Ditto for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wife got her tubes tied after the c section, we're done having kids. Two is enough

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

That is on the agenda. I just have to decide if I'm keeping the other cars. We only have parking for 10.
:drat: Congratulations

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

except that now due to the lovely tax bill passed late last year, the deduction is limited to 10k a year between interest and property taxes :suicide:

I believe the interest deduction is separate and limited to the the interest on a 750k mortgage, but the 10k a year for property taxes is lumped with your state interest tax write off. If you live in a place like California that has high income taxes and high property taxes due to high property values, you'll hit that 10k without even trying. I didn't look this up though, so maybe I'm wrong.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

10/10 Would recommend. Make sure you don't wanna make your own kiddies anymore, though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I believe the interest deduction is separate and limited to the the interest on a 750k mortgage, but the 10k a year for property taxes is lumped with your state interest tax write off. If you live in a place like California that has high income taxes and high property taxes due to high property values, you'll hit that 10k without even trying. I didn't look this up though, so maybe I'm wrong.

You're right! But the tax bill still sucks a lot

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Wife got her tubes tied after the c section, we're done having kids. Two is enough

Same, doneskies after 2 except I got the snip which I figured was only fair since she had to push the 2 out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

You're right! But the tax bill still sucks a lot

Yep, and just today I saw an article today about how the deficit has increased by 17% and it's alarming the same assholes who passed the tax cut, who now call for reductions in social security, medicare, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never wanted to be a father, life worked out okay for me in that department.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I've never wanted to be a father, life worked out okay for me in that department.

I was pretty on the fence about it but so far it's awesome. I love that kid more than anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dont knock parenthood. It's just not for me. My mom is depressed because none of us have kids though.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

redgubbinz posted:

This is very true, I was casually looking at houses a few weeks ago and decided...to keep on waiting. Especially since it'd just be me living there.

Does this seem like a $180k house? Apparently so, zillow says someone put in an offer on it!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67-Locust-Park-Albany-NY-12205/29679008_zpid/

Hello Capital Region Goon. That's a pretty good price, but have you considered buying a flophouse for about $3.50 in northern saratoga county? AMA.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I dont knock parenthood. It's just not for me. My mom is depressed because none of us have kids though.

I'm the golden boy because I'm the only one of my siblings with a child. My brother was (very) briefly married, and my sister's fiance passed due to cancer (gently caress cancer - he was a good guy) and wasn't planning to have kids in any case.
I'm honestly still not sure I've made a mistake or not, but not like I can undo a 17-year-old. She's not on drugs and hasn't murdered anyone, so there's that, but she's way too like her old man in some respects, for which I apologize to the world profusely.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: parenting, my wife is militantly against ever bearing children, I'm ambivalent at best and our incomes just barely support us and our dogs. So unless she has a huge change of heart and we both get substantial raises in the near future its probably never going to happen.

She's the youngest of five and her parents have 11 grandchildren (and tried like hell until a few years ago to get us to add to the pile.)

My parents drew the short straw in this regard - I'm the oldest of three and my sister had life-threatening blood clots about 8 years ago (she's on an aggressive regimen of blood thinners to this day) that have all but slammed the door shut on her ever being able to have children. That leaves my brother, who just got out of the army this past spring and is effectively starting his life at 27. Odds aren't looking very good for my parents becoming grandparents.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

I didn't mean it like that, wasn't trying to imply it. I get it and respect the choice, it's totally fine to not have kids. Especially if you like doing things spur of the moment, going to restaurants, having money, etc. :v:

Still, there's much worse fates. There's nothing like that kid's face lighting up when she sees me in the morning or after work. :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Especially if you like doing things spur of the moment, going to restaurants, having money, etc. :v:

I never gave that stuff up, just substituted one thing for another and gave up my fun cars for stability and still being able to do the spur of the moment stuff/going to restaurants.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I want kids eventually but at the moment I can't afford one.

I'm 24 though so I still have quite a bit of time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, gently caress. CUPW just issued a 72 hour strike notice. :cripes:

Canada Post is literally the only courier authorized to deliver pot in Ontario once legalization begins. They also have 2 Super Famicoms in their possession that SSS mailed me today. I'm getting double-hosed by this bullshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Protip: You'll never be able to afford it. You just... make room.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, gently caress. CUPW just issued a 72 hour strike notice. :cripes:

Canada Post is literally the only courier authorized to deliver pot in Ontario once legalization begins. They also have 2 Super Famicoms in their possession that SSS mailed me today. I'm getting double-hosed by this bullshit.

I believe that's what they call "leverage"

Also pot legal tomorrow, Trudeau moving to expedite pot pardons, and end solitary confinment, BC government proposing speculation tax.

....are good things actually possible?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

64bit_Dophins posted:

what are you using for bait?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I believe that's what they call "leverage"

Also pot legal tomorrow, Trudeau moving to expedite pot pardons, and end solitary confinment, BC government proposing speculation tax.

The CBC headline is "Speculation tax tabled by B.C. government". Funny how that means the exact opposite thing in the U.S..
Tabled means taken off the table, gotten rid of down here.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

With the shitshow that's US politics and a feeling of general :matters: as all these horrible people continue to hold power (and even if removed and punished for their numerous crimes, it's still a shame how long they were/are allowed to operate) it's nice to see that maybe things can get a little brighter up north.

Shame on Ontario for electing Trump-lite as their premier though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

On the floor even!

On the floor you own!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

(give me your stuff pls tia :3:)
:D
My jita stuff:

And its a Wyvern, but I can't login with it because its still in dek. :( Plus all the ships scattered around.

Wish I'd put 20b into plex before I left. Jesus. 3b each?!

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 17, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't mean it like that, wasn't trying to imply it. I get it and respect the choice, it's totally fine to not have kids. Especially if you like doing things spur of the moment, going to restaurants, having money, etc. :v:

Still, there's much worse fates. There's nothing like that kid's face lighting up when she sees me in the morning or after work. :3:

Oh I knew what you meant!

One of the main things that kept me in comic book retail for so long was the joy of handing a kid a comic book with their hero and just seeing that glow on their face. I do miss those interactions.

But gently caress that job because I'm getting me a HAUS.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

And you know, there's always adoption or fostering if you ever change your mind. Lots of kids need homes out there.

Anywho, congrats on the (potential) new house!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

And you know, there's always adoption or fostering if you ever change your mind. Lots of kids need homes out there.

Anywho, congrats on the (potential) new house!

I'm dropping off the initial check in the morning, our lender is taking care of the money stuff on Thursday and we're going to schedule our inspection shortly. We're moving quickly and set to close right at Thanksgiving.

I'm jumping the gun slightly but I'm going to pick up some paint swatches. The basement is finished but a bit tired so I want to get that painted as soon as we take possession as it's where all my doofy nerd crap is going.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Don't cheap out on paint. Cheap paint doesn't save much if any money in the end but it will take a lot more time as you paint the same walls over and over to get good coverage. Pittsburg Paramount worked really well for me. My house had 5 different colors + a bunch of wall patching and I painted over everything with 1 coat of Paramount applied with a power roller. I can't tell where my patches were and I don't notice any differences from the various previous colors. The little 4" trim rollers with the microfiber roller covers are fantastic for doing the corners and top/bottom of walls.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you haven't get the biggest rear end in a top hat picky home inspector. This is not the one your agent will recommend.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, as the clock creeps forward to midnight, recreational :420: is officially legal in all of :canada:.

Friendly reminder to have the snacks at home before so you don't have to leave your house while baked to get your fix.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yay, managed to break the glass on the front of my phone. I think its the last straw for this ZTE piece of poo poo. I think I'm going to pick up a nokia 6.1 plus from amazon and use it. It should be compatible with all the t-mobile LTE bands and be more durable than this turd. First time I've ever broken a phone screen from dropping it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Yay, managed to break the glass on the front of my phone. I think its the last straw for this ZTE piece of poo poo. I think I'm going to pick up a nokia 6.1 plus from amazon and use it. It should be compatible with all the t-mobile LTE bands and be more durable than this turd. First time I've ever broken a phone screen from dropping it.

It's durable but if you drop it, it will get little dents in the metal. I got a case on Amazon that was really cheap ($8?) and it works well.
Also, I don't know if they've fixed it, but the stock camera often freezes and doesn't save images. I've been using Open Camera. If you try and use HDR that still can freeze the phone but it'll usually come back eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

If you haven't get the biggest rear end in a top hat picky home inspector. This is not the one your agent will recommend.

This, so loving much. Years ago an old roommate got burned bad buying a foreclosure. The roof was sagging (badly) over the kitchen, no grounds at most of the outlets in the house, ceiling fan turned out to be hanging by the wires, dryer exhaust went into the attic, and for the master bedroom + hall bath, you'd have to kick the wall to get the lights to turn on.

I went up in the attic when I got frustrated with the lights. Flying splices on the line feeding both rooms. Not even wire nutted, just twist and tape (with solid core romex), with the grounds snipped, laying on the other side of the ceiling (also, no insulation... at all).

The lights in the entire house also pulsed anytime the washer was running (only while on agitate, though). Always suspected a loose neutral, but roommate didn't want anyone loving with the (FPE) breaker panel. I went through so drat many PC power supplies there.

She used the inspector the SELLER'S agent recommended, who happily rubber stamped the house as having no problems whatsoever.

redgubbinz posted:

This is very true, I was casually looking at houses a few weeks ago and decided...to keep on waiting. Especially since it'd just be me living there.

Does this seem like a $180k house? Apparently so, zillow says someone put in an offer on it!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/67-Locust-Park-Albany-NY-12205/29679008_zpid/

It's all about the neighborhood.

In Austin's Hyde Park (probably the most expensive part of Austin outside of downtown), a smallish 2 bedroom condo on a very busy road will set you back a quarter mil. Bump it to a million, and you get this.

Get out to the suburbs, and you can get a huge house with a neighborhood airstrip.

19 miles (along with a city and county difference) separates those properties. The old one in Hyde Park is much more appealing to me personally.

Elmnt80 posted:

Moto G5 Plus can be had used for $100-150, and supports all T-Mobile bands that were out when it was released, except for band 12 (... still has better reception than my Essential PH-1, which does support band 12).

Camera and display aren't great, but if you're coming from ZTE, I think a View Finder or Lite-Brite would be an upgrade.

It's pretty quick for a lower end phone, and the base model has 3GB RAM.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 17, 2018

• Locked thread