Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
hey guys I wanna visit Canada and Mexico in a week tell me will it be cold??

e: lol an outside shot at Prague too? just find someone else's pictures and photoshop yourselves into them, it'll be easier

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ah, seeing Athens and Madrid, not Spain and Greece. That makes a bit more sense.

Madrid is inland so it can get kind of cold during the winter but in the end of November it should still be above zero day and night and perhaps even a bit nice during the day, with a jacket. Athens shouldn't have such cold night temperatures because it's close to the sea, but should have similar temperatures as Madrid during the day, just more windy, more humid and a higher chance of rain.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
hey guys I'm visiting America for 10 days. I'm landing in Mexico City, then some days in California with day trips to Seattle and Vegas, then to NY for a road trip down the coast to try some of that famous Southern BBQ. Flying out from Jacksonville. Any recommendations for things to see along the way or cool spots that I might have missed?

edit: Oh and I just remembered that I have a friend who's living in Ames, Iowa these days, any advice on where to squeeze that in?

serious edit: I actually got surprised looking at some driving distances just now, people always say the US is so huge and vast and uncrossable and impossible to have public transportation compared to Europe, but driving from NY to Florida is actually pretty much the same distance as driving from Paris to Madrid. Didn't expect that.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 12, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Eat lots of beef and try out bbq. American steaks are just so much better

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Entropist posted:

serious edit: I actually got surprised looking at some driving distances just now, people always say the US is so huge and vast and uncrossable and impossible to have public transportation compared to Europe, but driving from NY to Florida is actually pretty much the same distance as driving from Paris to Madrid. Didn't expect that.

People aren't referring to travel along the coasts when they talk about how vast the US is though. NY to LA is about the same distance as Madrid to Moscow. For even more vastness, St. John's to Vancouver is about the same distance as Lisbon to Astana, Kuwait, or Tehran (couldn't keep it in Europe).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
America has bad public transport because america is bad, australia manages to have a network despite having 1/16 the population on nearly as much land. If Australia can do it then America definitely can, america is just bad.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 12, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Waroduce posted:

We land at 8am in Paris on Saturday and plan to leave Monday for athens, leave Friday for Madrid or Barcelona and our return flight is Tuesday morning out of Madrid. So we have approx 3-4 days in each location. Paris we don't care about its an extended lay over really from the airline who cancelled our original itinerary

Why Athens? Don't go to Athens is about the only advice you are going to get. Couple of days in Paris, fly/train down to Barcelona and go down the Spanish coast before flying out of Madrid. Imo Madrid is pretty mediocre as a tourist destination any not worth more than a day tops especially compared to other destinations in Spain.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be in Zermatt in late March even though I don't do any winter sports but I am interested in doing some hiking, particularly the 5-Seenweg (https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Planning-hikes-tours/5-Seenweg). I can't really find any information on whether or not the trail is closed during this time of the year or if it's open year round, just with some snow. Anyone have experience with this area at this time of the year?

Was also looking at the Lauterbrunnen Valley area but it's almost entirely shut down still at that time and I've been before. Also, if anyone recalls my previous post, our final destination is Rome. From Zermatt, what's a good place to stop in on the way down to Italy? It looks like it'll be a long day on the train so Milan? Are there any other options because I wasn't that big of a fan of it.

birds fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 12, 2018

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Dr Strangepants posted:

I have a company meeting in Basel, Switzerland in early December. I have about one week to gently caress around ahead of time if I want to. What sort of places in Switzerland are nice to visit during the winter? I enjoy hiking and nature, but haven't done any skiing in a long long time. I'm not sure I'm interested in loving up my knees or freezing my rear end off. I've been to Zurich a few times already, so I was thinking about Bern and maybe a scenic place in the Alps? Arosa? Any tips on places or activities would be appreciated.

I've decided on flying to Geneva on the 2nd, (~3 days) taking the train to Bern (~1-2 days), then to Interlaken / Jungfrau region (~2-3 nights), then to Zurich/Basel on the 10th for my meeting. I think that will make for a rad winter Swiss trip. If anyone has suggestions for activities in those areas, please let me know.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dr Strangepants posted:

I've decided on flying to Geneva on the 2nd, (~3 days) taking the train to Bern (~1-2 days), then to Interlaken / Jungfrau region (~2-3 nights), then to Zurich/Basel on the 10th for my meeting. I think that will make for a rad winter Swiss trip. If anyone has suggestions for activities in those areas, please let me know.

I don't know if things will apply in December, but we were in Jungfrau and Zürich three weeks ago, so...

1. Don't stay in Interlaken if you can help it. We stayed here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21632492 and we literally got waterfall and cows outside our window. Other places are probably also good.

2. Jungfrau-joch is overrated. We thought Schilthorn was much better.

3. The Grindelwald-First gondola is gorgeous, as is the grindelwald-wengen gondola. The others are also great.

4. The swiss idea of a very easy hike is extremely challenging if you have any mobility or balance issues. That said, the hike from Almendhubel to Murren is gorgeous beyond belief. Although in December I don't know.

5. The pizza place in Grindelwald is very good, as long as you don't get the one with fresh mozzarella (very soggy). The one with raclette cheese is amazing.

6.The Bären hotel restaurant in Wengen is also very good, and I recommend the wild tasting menu.

7. Coop chocolate bars are among the best in Switzerland, and beat Lindt hands down. Try the extramilch ones too.

8. Make sure you get a veal bratwurst in Zurich.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

birds posted:

I'll be in Zermatt in late March even though I don't do any winter sports but I am interested in doing some hiking, particularly the 5-Seenweg (https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Planning-hikes-tours/5-Seenweg). I can't really find any information on whether or not the trail is closed during this time of the year or if it's open year round, just with some snow. Anyone have experience with this area at this time of the year?

Was also looking at the Lauterbrunnen Valley area but it's almost entirely shut down still at that time and I've been before. Also, if anyone recalls my previous post, our final destination is Rome. From Zermatt, what's a good place to stop in on the way down to Italy? It looks like it'll be a long day on the train so Milan? Are there any other options because I wasn't that big of a fan of it.

Given those elevation levels I'd expect there to still be snow up there in late March, but seeing as Europe has had like four shithouse winters in a row or something by now (except Zermatt I think last year got dumped on) who knows. If you're going to be in Zermatt anyway just play it by ear.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Dr Strangepants posted:

I don't think there's a great deal to see in Geneva, but it's a convenient place to get your bearings after the flight so 3 nights doesn't seem too much. Plus there's not going to be much open on Sunday when you arrive anyway. You'll need to book a tour of CERN if that interests you, I think it's possible to get walk-up tours of the UN but it's not guaranteed. We used to eat at Bains des Paquis a LOT, you're on a pier in the lakeso the view is great, the fondue in the evenings is really good (and cheap), and they've got a plat du jour every day that was really nice and absurdly cheap by Swiss standards (~$14 for a good plate of food, always with meat tho, no veggie option for the daily special). They don't really have a menu outside that at each of those times except for some sides, but they're good at what they do.

Bern is a nice city to visit, you can make a nice tour from the Rose Garden, down to the bears (who may already be hibernating, I don't visit them enough to know when exactly that happens) and then over the bridge through the old town (the cathedral is nice and the tower is worth it on a clear day). The Christmas market should be up and running by then so you can get sausages and glühwein (mulled wine) there and wander about. From Bern, a nice day trip is to take the train to Düdingen, then the bus to Tafers, and then you walk through a gorge until you reach Fribourg, where you'll pass through the old city gates and into the old town. the walk itself is really easy, about 2-2.5 hours, but the arrival in Fribourg is pretty atmospheric if you like old towns. The gorge is nice too. For more detailed hiking (or cycling, or any non-road transport) maps, use Switzerland Mobility and get the app too.

As mentioned, Interlaken lacks any kind of charm, it merely serves as a utilitarian waypoint to nicer places. The mountains there are big though, so it could already be too late to really do any walking up there. Thun is a cute town nearby and there are some nice hikes around there with great views of the mountains, I was in Heilegenschwendi 2 weeks ago and the views would have been stunning but it was quite cloudy. You can also get to the Niessen quite easliy from there, and there are great panoramas from the top.

Depending on the weather and the conditions in the mountains, maybe there's not much to do around Interlaken and in that case you could check out Luzern. There are some big rear end hills and lakes there and I really like the tour around Klewenalp (bus from Luzern to Breckenreid and then a cable car). If you click the map, we usually go from the cable car station, on the west side of the Klewenstock and eat at the Berghaus Tannibuel and then go back but you've got lots of options from up there.

All of the hiking paths are really clearly marked everywhere with yellow diamonds on the walking trails. There will be yellow signs and arrows with directions and pretty reasonable time estimates regularly too. There are also trails marked with a white square with a red vertical stripe, these are mountain paths and will be rocky. White with a blue stripe is alpine, these range from challenging to you need ropes and poo poo. Yellow is mellow though.

birds posted:

It wasn't exactly in March, (OK more like June), but the 5-Seenweg is just amazing:

I can't get a clear read from the website either, but I imagine it's like you guessed--probably open year round but with snow. It's a very popular route. Try the info@zermatt.ch email address from the zermatt.ch website, they will probably let you know. Tourism makes up a huge part of the economy in that region, they will definitely reply.

Without a car it will be tougher to get places, but you could stop off at Florence or Sienna maybe. With a car, Cinque Terre is worth the detour and we had a great trip through Tuscany: San Quirico d'Orcia, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni were all nice quick visits. Civita di Bagnoregio was also awesome but again I don't think you'll get there easily without a car.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

double post to add a couple things:

Dr Strangepants posted:

Make sure you sit on the right hand side of the train from Geneva to Bern, the views over the lake are nice but they turn stunning for the first part after you leave Lausanne. They're some of my favourite views in Switzerland (not my photo):

birds posted:

Looking at the actual train times, it doesn't look like Florence or Sienna would make your day all that much shorter. So I looked around a bit and found this map of the train connections in Italy. The stops between Brig and Milan don't really have much to offer, but maybe a trip up to Como from Milan would be a nicer place to spend the afternoon/night? I can see connections of about 35 minutes on the SBB website, so that would still be about in the middle of the journey without adding too much extra time.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Heading off to the Alsace region of France for ten days or so this weekend. Spending four nights in Strasbourg, four nights in Colmar, and one night in Esslingen (flying out of Stuttgart on a Monday afternoon, but I wanted to check out the Mercedes-Benz Museum and it's closed Mondays, so heading over there Sunday instead).

Places I plan to check out so far:

Must-see villages:
Riquewihr
Eguisheim
Kaysersberg
Hunawhir (if I get some decent weather to get some photos of that lovely fortified church in the vinyards...)

Might check out if I have time villages:
Saverne
Rosheim
Barr
Andlau
Dambach-la-ville

Chateaus 'n poo poo:
Chateau du Haut-Barre
Chateau de Landsberg
Mont Saint-Odile (and probably the Abbaye de Niedermunster while I'm around there)
Chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg
Five Castles of Eguisheim
Château du Hohlandsbourg

Also going to take a quick drive down to Mulhouse to see the Cite de l'Automobile, and probably stop at the Ecomusee d'Alsace along the way.

Any awesome places around there that I'm missing? (Preferably without a lot of hiking; don't mind a little walk, but I'm not so good with steep terrain and also don't want to get lost in the woods and freeze to death because I have zero hiking experience... :v: ). Also, any good restaurant recommendations in Strasbourg or Colmar?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Looks like you've got most things covered! In Colmar we had a great lunch at a place called L'Epicurien, which wasn't too pricey either from what I remember. It also wasn't on the canal which is where the ripoff tourist joints are, so steer clear of those.

Make sure you try flammkuchen, which is basically a square, thin-crust pizza with creme fraiche instead of marinara sauce, and minimal toppings (traditional is usually just creme fraiche and gruyere or munster cheese, though you can also get with white onion and/or bacon and/or mushrooms). Eat the sauerkraut too, though it's called choucroute or something similar in French.

Enjoy! It's a fascinating mix of French and German influences, and a beautiful part of the world too. I loved in Strasbourg how the old part of the city (around the cathedral and Petit France areas) is heavily French, while northwards across the river is the super-Germanic Neustadt area.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

dennyk posted:

Heading off to the Alsace region of France for ten days or so this weekend. Spending four nights in Strasbourg, four nights in Colmar, and one night in Esslingen (flying out of Stuttgart on a Monday afternoon, but I wanted to check out the Mercedes-Benz Museum and it's closed Mondays, so heading over there Sunday instead).

Places I plan to check out so far:

Must-see villages:
Riquewihr
Eguisheim
Kaysersberg
Hunawhir (if I get some decent weather to get some photos of that lovely fortified church in the vinyards...)

Might check out if I have time villages:
Saverne
Rosheim
Barr
Andlau
Dambach-la-ville

Chateaus 'n poo poo:
Chateau du Haut-Barre
Chateau de Landsberg
Mont Saint-Odile (and probably the Abbaye de Niedermunster while I'm around there)
Chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg
Five Castles of Eguisheim
Château du Hohlandsbourg

Also going to take a quick drive down to Mulhouse to see the Cite de l'Automobile, and probably stop at the Ecomusee d'Alsace along the way.

Any awesome places around there that I'm missing? (Preferably without a lot of hiking; don't mind a little walk, but I'm not so good with steep terrain and also don't want to get lost in the woods and freeze to death because I have zero hiking experience... :v: ). Also, any good restaurant recommendations in Strasbourg or Colmar?

Hey, that's my area! Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Your itinerary is pretty complete, I mean there's always some village to add but you aren't missing out on something.

Mulhouse has a bit of a gritty reputation, being an old industrial city with lots of immigrants, but it's not as bad as people make it seem. And the (small) historic center is even quite nice!
The Automobile museum is quite worth it, especially if you enjoy historic cars, and there is also a train museum if you're into that.

As for restaurants in Strasbourg, there are lots of them, so it's hard to recommend something without context. I'm guessing you'll want something French/Alsatian, well placed but not too touristy, and not too expensive. So here's my list of personal recommendations:

French
- Aux Trois Chevaliers
- La Hache
- L'Oignon
- Les Fines Gueules - "French Tapas"

Alsatian
- Au coin des pucelles
- Zuem Strissel
- Binch'Stub - different take on the Flammkuchen, a bit more expensive but good quality
- Au Brasseur - kind of a beer hall, nothing too fancy but it is a fun place

For a coffee break, good places are either Bistrot & Chocolat next to the Cathedral, or What the Cake (more hipstery, owner is a friend of mine). As for a bar, check out Le Grincheux - lots of beers on tap, big whisky & rum collection, friendly pub atmosphere.

Otherwise, be careful of wild cyclists in the pedestrian streets, and avoid driving through the city center, and you'll be all set!

Feel free should you want some other recommendation ;)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

- Au coin des pucelles

That's quite a name.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

That's quite a name.

They just took the street's name :shobon:

There's also the rue des juifs close by :v:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 16, 2018

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Awesome, man, thanks for the suggestions! Definitely looking to sample some Alsatian and French food while I'm there, so I will check some of those spots out. Definitely going to do a nice meal at one of the Michelin-starred places in town as well, but I ain't doing that every night, so it's good to have some other options to hit up.

As for parking, my place is right in the centre (like a block from the cathedral), but doesn't come with parking anyway. I was planning to park out at the Hôpital de Hautepierre, since it's right off the autoroute and it's cheap as gently caress compared to anything else at a comparable distance, and take the tram into the city. I know there's some other car parks further in, but they're well into the city, cost twice as much or more, and are often full, from what I can see. Hopefully that car park is reasonably safe and my car doesn't end up stolen for a joyride and set on fire in a field somewhere, but eh, I have insurance anyway...

Also, your pedestrianized streets only have cyclists? Hell, the places I've been I'm more used to dodging all the taxi drivers and white van men who career through any bit of real estate they can fit their vehicles through and generally consider all of us idiot tourists to be nothing more than annoying speed humps... :v:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

dennyk posted:

Awesome, man, thanks for the suggestions! Definitely looking to sample some Alsatian and French food while I'm there, so I will check some of those spots out. Definitely going to do a nice meal at one of the Michelin-starred places in town as well, but I ain't doing that every night, so it's good to have some other options to hit up.

As for parking, my place is right in the centre (like a block from the cathedral), but doesn't come with parking anyway. I was planning to park out at the Hôpital de Hautepierre, since it's right off the autoroute and it's cheap as gently caress compared to anything else at a comparable distance, and take the tram into the city. I know there's some other car parks further in, but they're well into the city, cost twice as much or more, and are often full, from what I can see. Hopefully that car park is reasonably safe and my car doesn't end up stolen for a joyride and set on fire in a field somewhere, but eh, I have insurance anyway...

Also, your pedestrianized streets only have cyclists? Hell, the places I've been I'm more used to dodging all the taxi drivers and white van men who career through any bit of real estate they can fit their vehicles through and generally consider all of us idiot tourists to be nothing more than annoying speed humps... :v:

For the Michelin stars, I know that the Crocodile is unamously recommended, but I've heard more mixed echoes for the Buerehiesel, as far as you can go for a starred restaurant - depends on how much of a foodie you are I guess ;) There is also the Umami, which I personally love, but it's more Asian-Fusion cuisine. Anyways, you'll be always be able to eat Alsatian in the small towns, so Strasbourg is the better place if you want some more variety .

Also, you'll be fine parking at the hospital. Neuhof is the neighborhood where your car might burn, but only on NYE :v:

Pedestrianized streets have some cars such as taxis or city police (plus delivery trucks in the morning) but they are rather well behaved. Bikes are really the biggest "annoyance" so to speak, as they are quite numerous (especially since food delivery) and their riders pretty much think they're on the Fury Road :unsmigghh:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

In Colmar, I enjoyed going to Les 3 Singes which is a nice little beer bar with a good vibe and good range. In particular, I can recommend any of the Brassiere Sainte Cru range if you're into West Coast US style craft beer. They're a Colmar local brewery and do some really good stuff.

For Strasbourg, Cafe Suspenders does really, really good coffee (and I say this as an Aussie) multiple ways - aeropress, drip, espresso, etc. With respect to bars, I really enjoyed Le Grincheux (massive whisky selection too) and Les BerThoM (craft beer).

For tourist locations, a couple of local girls gave me a bunch of locations which roughly formed a circle and took about half to 3/4 of a day of wandering and which I found to be a really nice way to wander around the city centre. It ran through: Ancienne Douane, Rue des Hallebardes, Rue des Grandes Arcades, Kleber square, Place de l'Homme de Fer, the Church of St Peter the Younger (which I found more visually beautiful than the main cathedral, and importantly way less busy), Place Broglie, Place de la Republique, and Quai des Bateliers. I think you can drop all of them into Google maps and they'll spit out the right locations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is Tangier in Morocco worth visiting for 3 days in the city? Marakesh seems to be the the popular destination but is expensive to get to

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Is Tangier in Morocco worth visiting for 3 days in the city? Marakesh seems to be the the popular destination but is expensive to get to

Tangier is cool and worth visiting

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

GraveVideos posted:

The Athens experience depends on what you're looking for when traveling. If you want an organized trip where things go smoothly and happen on time and everything runs according to hazard and health norms then no, Athens isn't for you except for maybe the typical Acropolis+museums tour. If you're looking for a more authentic thing where you get to find amazing places on your own, try to haggle your way through encounters and where getting from one side of the city to another may end up being an actual adventure then Athens is perfect. The price for that is that yeah, there will be junk and danger - imagine a huge dense city that nobody ever cut with giant communication axes like Paris. The different opinions probably come from those different expectations.

To add to this I think the mistake a lot of tourists make with Athens (and urban Greece in general) is that they expect something like Florence and all those beautiful north Italy cities. They do some sort of half-understood historical dance in their heads and assume the Greeks must be packing that same flavor.
When of course Greece never underwent the renaissance, and Athens was in fact a backwater nowheresville well up to the point of modern Greece entering the picture in 1821.

It is uh.... ugly. All the cities are ugly (I've spent some time in Thessaloniki as well). It's a lot of grody looking sprawl built up in the mid-20th century.
Tourists seeking attractive breathtaking Mediterranean dwellings gotta go to Santorini and that sort of place.
But for certain sorts the crazy pug-faced chaos of Athens will be attractive and fun. But you gotta understand what to expect.

underage at the vape shop posted:

It's a beautiful city.

lollllllllll no dude, not even Greeks think this.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 20, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I actually really enjoyed Thessaloniki - very different vibe to Athens. Young and exciting - sure it doesn't have the Acropolis, but those ancient Byzantine churches are pretty cool, and it's an interesting place. Not as packed in like Athens is either.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

birds posted:

The trail might be open, but it's going to be for snowshoes and the 5 lakes are all going to be iced over and covered with snow, invisible except for the faint bowl-shape they make in the snow. This is a 100% guarantee in late March, Zermatt is pretty high elevation and those lakes are all much higher. Not to be a downer but there has probably been like, 1 late March in the past 5000 years where everything wouldn't be totally covered in snow when you're there. You need at least 50 more years of global warming for your plan to work out. I've lived in Switzerland for most of the past 10 years and go to the mountains a lot in winter.

It's going to look like this in late March; try to spot the lakes (I'm actually not sure if this is facing south or north, but you get the idea):

E: Zermatt can still be beautiful in winter and you should go, but check the weather in advance and completely skip it if it's going to be super overcast and make sure to get refundable reservations at your hotel. Just look at webcams before going up. The town is cute for about 15 minutes but then you'll be over it if you can't see anything. Keep in mind that sometimes you can get above the clouds, which offers magnificent views, and sometimes not. Usually the clouds are pretty low in the Alps (like 2500-3000m) but you can get unlucky too.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 24, 2018

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Thanks guys! This is a lot of helpful information!

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I am going to London for 6 days tomorrow and would appreciate any tips as it's my first time!

Going to a soccer game tomorrow afternoon, an NFL game on Sunday afternoon and a gig on Monday evening but no concrete plans other than that.

We mostly enjoy urban exploration, museums/galleries and good food/drinks.

Some other things we vaguely have on our to-do list include the obvious tourist sites like Big Ben, St. Paul's Cathedral, etc.; Tate Modern and The British Museum; and the Bermondsey Beer Mile. We're staying in North London if that helps.

Thanks!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The British Museum is good. I'm trying to remember specific things I did and am drawing a blank. I went to the Crystal Palace and looked at the 1854 dinosaur statues, but that's kinda niche.

One of my favorite meals was at a place that has apparently closed, but Flat Iron does a very good steak inexpensively.

You didn't mention theatre, but we highly recommend "A Comedy about a Bank Robbery" and "The Play that Goes Wrong."

We're going to London in six weeks ourselves, and I'm not sure what I want to do this trip. Any ideas for day trips in winter/late fall?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Quote is not edit. :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Besides seeing touristy things, go eat a bunch of food and watch Theatre in the evening.

As for sights, recommend the Victoria and Albert, also free and less busy but just as cool as the British Museum.

Book of Mormon if you haven't seen or any other show. I loved Ian Mckellan in King Lear

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Highgate cemetery is really cool. A day trip to oxford or cambridge is always a good way to spend the day. And I highly recommend going to a second league soccer game. Tickets are cheap and easy to get last minute.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

caberham posted:

Besides seeing touristy things, go eat a bunch of food and watch Theatre in the evening.

As for sights, recommend the Victoria and Albert, also free and less busy but just as cool as the British Museum.

Book of Mormon if you haven't seen or any other show. I loved Ian Mckellan in King Lear

Go see a Millwall game its an amazing experience

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Borough Market
Walk around Shoreditch and check out the street art
Walk along the canals of north London
Don’t go to Brick Lane for curry, those places are all tourist traps now. Nearby restaurant called Dishoom is much better- they have a few outlets.
I quite enjoyed the Tower of London
Don’t get a hop-on hop-off bus, the Tube is way better and the buses just sit in traffic

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

^^^ hah, I didn’t mind brick lane for curry a couple of years ago. The trick was to skip the first few touts and never accept their first offer. FYI, if you do end up going, it’s BYO.

Otherwise, go have a pint at Ye Olde Mitre. Get a Sunday roast lunch at a pub if you’re there on a Sunday. Grab a scotch egg at some point. Drink a lot of real ale. I just basically wandered around eating and drinking.

Edit: I second the Borough markets. There’s a nice little (emphasis little) bar nearby called the Rake which is good if you’re thirsty during the markets.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2018

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The Wellcome Collection is always brilliant. They've also just opened a Body Worlds and those are fascinating. The deer will be doing their thang in Richmond Park at this time of year and that is cool to see, I drove through last week and a huge herd was just hanging out in the middle of the park.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Big Ben is covered in scaffolding now & for the next few years FYI. You may already know about this, but I’ve encountered a few disappointed tourists in Westminster.

My “go to” recommendation for first time visitors is to take a walk along the Southbank, from Westminster Bridge (next to Big Ben) all the way down to Tower Bridge. You get some great views of the city, Borough Market’s on the way and it’s a good way to get oriented. Also try to go to Borough Market on a weekday, it gets crazy packed on weekend

e: Beachcomber, I’d recommend Hampton Court if you haven’t been and are interested in historical palaces. It should have an ice skating rink in late autumn/winter which is an added bonus and a bit quieter than some of the central London rinks (although it’s also quite small).

Chocolate Milk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 26, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chocolate Milk posted:

e: Beachcomber, I’d recommend Hampton Court if you haven’t been and are interested in historical palaces. It should have an ice skating rink in late autumn/winter which is an added bonus and a bit quieter than some of the central London rinks (although it’s also quite small).

Palaces are nice but unfortunately I can't ice skate. I actually don't know how anyone can ice skate because as soon as I try to stand my ankle goes sideways.

Last time we went to Bath and took a bath at the old bath place instead of the newfangled one. Probably not as fun in winter.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I actually don't know how anyone can ice skate because as soon as I try to stand my ankle goes sideways.

Kind of OT but if your ankle goes sideways when you stand in skates, then you have catastrophically mis-tied the laces on your skates or they're the wrong size. Your ankle should be 10000% immobile, even a tiny bit of movement will be a nightmare and hurt your feet and make everything more difficult, just like for ski boots, which fortunately don't require laces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Saladman posted:

Kind of OT but if your ankle goes sideways when you stand in skates, then you have catastrophically mis-tied the laces on your skates or they're the wrong size. Your ankle should be 10000% immobile, even a tiny bit of movement will be a nightmare and hurt your feet and make everything more difficult, just like for ski boots, which fortunately don't require laces.
This only applies to certain kinds of skates though, like the ones that they use in hockey. The ones typically used in the Netherlands don't go around the ankles for example.