Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

Bar application filed, and I paid for bar prep. G-d have mercy on my soul.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

ive asked you before not to dox me

Lol OP updated

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What do you mean by bar exam rollbacks?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a law thing that doesn't bore me to death what the gently caress is this reality

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm doing a law thing that doesn't bore me to death what the gently caress is this reality

It will probably piss Putin off and get you sent to the gulag.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Not too late to kick it back another year.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Welp, just handed in notice. Feels good man. Two more weeks here, then a few days to clear my head, then the clerkship starts.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

You were so close.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I’m excited for six more months of Toona

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Boo, I thought that tweet meant he'd gone sovcit

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have jury duty today. While I'd totally love being on a jury, I hate sitting around just knowing I'm going to get kicked.

Edit: been released from the first jury pool. They kicked one person on a felony and both parties voire dire sucked.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Why is no one posting? I'm so bored. Doesn't toona have another divorce, fish a drunk moose to defend, or someone with questions about the chosen people?
I'm getting close to checking work emails again. Fuuuuck.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Why is no one posting? I'm so bored. Doesn't toona have another divorce, fish a drunk moose to defend, or someone with questions about the chosen people?

Dreading a super lovely meeting tomorrow in a problematic farm estate with the shittiest OC of the slimiest loves-to-argue sort and I know it's gonna blow up from sheer unreasonableness and cost my clients hella money even if they win. So I'm not in the mood.

Wish I'd drunk a moose instead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've attempted to get cows drunk on beer by replacing their water supply with a dozen cases of beer. It didn't work. I don't recommend trying with a moose

Also it's interesting bow hunting is illegal - is that true even for deer? In Illinois the gun season for deer is 7 days out of the year and bow is 6 months so people who really like hunting use bow

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

nm posted:

I'm trying to put out the half dozen fires a client started while counting down to our closing appointment where I get to sub out. Good luck, new attorney.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

I tried to get some bricks from a guy on facebook that redid his patio so he has three pallets of red bricks and a bunch of others. I don't need all and was going to come take a large chunk off his hand to properly brick in my firepit. His response was all or nothing so I'm looking elsewhere for bricks.

I signed up for two alumni events this weekend for homecoming in the hopes that I can network my way into any sort of job.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I've attempted to get cows drunk on beer by replacing their water supply with a dozen cases of beer. It didn't work. I don't recommend trying with a moose

Also it's interesting bow hunting is illegal - is that true even for deer? In Illinois the gun season for deer is 7 days out of the year and bow is 6 months so people who really like hunting use bow

I've heard some people say bow hunting is more painful for the animal (also they might survive and runaway with the arrow), so I could see them just banning it.

Also, I want to know why the hell you tried to get a cow drunk. Are you secretly from wisconsin?

Pick me for a jury goddammit. I want to judge my fellow human beings, but more importantly I want to judge the lawyers.

Also, what defense attorney leaves a probation office on a jury, particularly for a resisting case?

nm fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 16, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol OP updated

you son of a bitch :doom:

nm posted:

I have jury duty today. While I'd totally love being on a jury, I hate sitting around just knowing I'm going to get kicked.

Edit: been released from the first jury pool. They kicked one person on a felony and both parties voire dire sucked.
we should really get a blanket exemption from jury service. no competent lawyer is going to keep us on

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

we should really get a blanket exemption from jury service. no competent lawyer is going to keep us on

But then we have wonderful tales from Captain Scraps (I think) where he gets left on the jury and just crushes the plaintiff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

I've heard some people say bow hunting is more painful for the animal (also they might survive and runaway with the arrow), so I could see them just banning it.

Also, I want to know why the hell you tried to get a cow drunk. Are you secretly from wisconsin?

Yeah arrows are way worse for the animal

And I grew up 3 miles from Wisconsin in the mythical hilly part of Illinois. Neighbors were dairy farmers so raised their heifers and steers for them on our feed lot after my parents got out of animal farming and stuck with cash crops (which was equally insane). Later that 500ish acre farm got turned into a big wetland, rented out to hunters, the govt paid my dad twice for the same land to let it flood, and now he runs an airbnb

I chased a mountain lion with an axe there but had nothing cooler (foxes and otters and mink are cuter though) I did chase a moose in Minnesota and my dad chased a bear years prior to that (in both cases the animal was swimming and the chase occurred via canoe)

I hate living in chicago with no animals to gently caress with besides boring old coyotes

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

I want to be on a jury so bad though.
But yeah. This is just a completely burned day.
That said, both of the lawyers on the case I were so check out, if I'd gotten into the box they might have left me in.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

In VA bow hunting is legal even in parks in residential areas, or at least local gubment puts up signs encouraging it.

I remember I went to a bass pro shop once and they had a spinning propeller blade attachment for arrows so you could ideally decapitate a turkey. Gobble gobble.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Not sure if it's the whole country or just my state but we have that here. Sucks, because I wanted to do it.

There's a chance I've lined up another non-law job for myself and if I got it, I could further delay ever having to actually be a practicing lawyer. When I think about it in the abstract I'm like "maybe it wouldn't be that bad" and then when I remember from a practical perspective what it's like, I remember how good I've got it working for government and why would I want that to change? Apart from the theoretical possibility of partner money one day but ehh.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lawyers are literally the only people who want jury duty.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I am learning all about the exciting changes from the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" or TCJA. It has been very refreshing, although the guy sitting next to me keeps waking me up whenever something he thinks is "important to know" comes up.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I remember when I was kept on a criminal case as a law student. There was also an attorney that had to beg the judge to get excused because she had a trial next week.

That defense attorney was absolute dogshit. Goddamn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So now I get to stand in line forever to get my work excuse the state requires. Booo.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I was doing a women's poverty law clinic in law school, helping abused women get restraining orders and the like.

I got called up for jury duty, and was put in a group for a domestic abuse case. The judge asked whether there was anything we thought we should volunteer that might have an impact on the case. I said, in fairness, that I only felt it fair that I mention that I worked for a legal clinic that helped battered women get restraining orders, that I did not think it made a difference as I would listen to the case on its merits and did not believe I had a prejudice toward either "side" in such matters, but that I was mentioning it because obviously an outsider could see that as being related to the case.

The judge asked if I thought I could be impartial, and I said, yes, I thought that I could.

Then the prosecutor used a challenge to remove me.

To this day, I find it hilarious that the prosecutor, in a domestic abuse case, removed someone who worked to get restraining orders for abused women.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nm posted:

Hi, I am in the midst of a 17 day work trip (and it's not for a trial).

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had a lawyer juror in my last jury trial.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Depending on the trial and the issues I can see a lawyer being helpful. If there's a lot of technical evidence or appeals to emotion, I think a lawyer might be useful. There's a 90% chance they're the foreman.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I left a lawyer on my jury once because i was almost out of kicks and everyone in the 6 pack below her was worse.
Pretty sure she screwed me over.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

I'm in trial

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m in France

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

Not sure if it's the whole country or just my state but we have that here. Sucks, because I wanted to do it.

Generally speaking active lawyers are everywhere, but there are some places just being a lawyer doesn't exclude you if you're not practicing.

Victoria and NSW "is a lawyer", SA and QLD are "Is a lawyer and actually practicing", for example.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I’m in toxicated.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

To this day, I find it hilarious that the prosecutor, in a domestic abuse case, removed someone who worked to get restraining orders for abused women.

Probably had some leaps to make and didn't want a lawyer that would instantly spot the holes in his case.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

algebra testes posted:

Generally speaking active lawyers are everywhere, but there are some places just being a lawyer doesn't exclude you if you're not practicing.

Victoria and NSW "is a lawyer", SA and QLD are "Is a lawyer and actually practicing", for example.

There you go, I'm in Victoria. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Abugadu posted:

I’m in toxicated.

And I want to be. gently caress this job so much.