Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I've been playing Blood in Dosbox lately and just fired up Quakespasm again and goddamn it's good to be back in a responsive 3D renderer made for modern machines. Don't know what it is about Dosbox, but input always feels ever so slightly laggy in comparison. Maybe I should try that Java port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

A.o.D. posted:

I'm trying my hand at making a Doom map again.

I've spent two hours making an OSHA-compliant hydro electric dam exterior that is purely cosmetic. I think I might be bad at this.

owns

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow Hog posted:

I do love me a good HUUH now and then.

Related video

That's beautiful man.

(jokes cheat sheet: Scott Mosier says this in Clerks)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I've been doom.txt'd

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

A.o.D. posted:

I'm trying my hand at making a Doom map again.

I've spent two hours making an OSHA-compliant hydro electric dam exterior that is purely cosmetic. I think I might be bad at this.

That's alright.

The entirety of Doom was non-OSHA compliant.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Uncle Kitchener posted:

That's alright.

The entirety of Doom was non-OSHA compliant.

This reminds me of how fun and awesome it was operating that crane in HL2 :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Swinging the crane and brushing a ton of stuff to the side with it was so satisfying. It's weird how games got worse at physics since then - or devs just think players expect and demand lovely wonky physics and do it on purpose.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
HL2's physics felt real. Everything had weight and heft and felt appropriately heavy. Even games now, every physics object seems like it has the same weight and they all fall at the same velocity. It's freakin' weird, man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

HL2's physics felt real. Everything had weight and heft and felt appropriately heavy. Even games now, every physics object seems like it has the same weight and they all fall at the same velocity. It's freakin' weird, man.

Everything should fall at the same velocity. That's real physics.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Everything should fall at the same velocity. That's real physics.

Acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects but air resistance and differences in height will affect the speed the objects reach before hitting the ground. I get his point, though. It's strange how many games still have objects bouncing around like they're all weightless and made of rubber.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

it’s waaaaay less processor intensive to have a simple physics model

....did anything ever actually come out that supported PhysX??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Casual Encountess posted:

Hardware physics acceleration is actually pretty common now that it can be done on GPUs. PhysX itself is now owned by nVidia and marketed as middleware so you don't see the name as often as when they were trying to sell hardware to consumers.

I'm more disappointed that Valve's cinematic physics tech has now apparently been shoved in a closet forever, it was really impressive in Episode 2 and Portal 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nvidia bought and shelved it within like a year of the first cards release

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The problem is not the complexity of the physics model but how most games seem to make use of the physics model. It is very common for games to give all objects identical and entirely too low masses, identical and far too low friction coefficients (though friction depends on weight so the low mass also affects this), little friction or weight on body parts of ragdolls so they act too literally like ragdolls, and far too little gravitational acceleration.

The result is when you bump lightly into tables all the objects on top go sailing off at 45 degrees into the air and slowly tumble to the ground like they're in slow motion, or bodies slide down hills perpetually while doing grim dances and slapping themselves in the face.

In stupid goat simulator type games this is clearly intentional, but it happens in serious games and is what happens when you make things in Unity into physics objects without changing their default attributes so I'm not sure if it's that developers simply don't care enough to tweak things or if they think people even expect physics in games to work like that no matter what the tone of the game is.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

PhysX is integrated in many of the popular and accessible game engines like Unity and Unreal 4 so most games nowadays use it.

It's a general purpose physics engine, not just fancy cloth and particle simulator.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 16, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Video game physics told me that when I put a plate on a table, all the books will fly out the bookshelf at supersonic speed and some will shift through the walls to be lost to the infinite dark void that stands between interior and exterior.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Whoa now, bringing up Bethesda games and physics is fuckin cheating.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Assassins Creed: Black Flag had PhysX implementation, or should I say “slow down the game to sub-30 framerates for no discernible gain” mode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Glagha posted:

Whoa now, bringing up Bethesda games and physics is fuckin cheating.

My favorite Bethesda-ism is how they'll place all the objects an inch above a table to prevent collision errors so when you load the room you can sometimes hear everything go CLANK CLANK CLANK as they fall down

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 16, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

haveblue posted:

I'm more disappointed that Valve's cinematic physics tech has now apparently been shoved in a closet forever, it was really impressive in Episode 2 and Portal 2.
"Cinematic Physics" is basically a fancy marketing name for pre-calculating the physics in Maya and turning each piece into a bone in a skeletal animation. I would be VERY surprised if there are games that didn't follow that cue for their mass-destruction effects nowadays.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BattleMaster posted:

The problem is not the complexity of the physics model but how most games seem to make use of the physics model. It is very common for games to give all objects identical and entirely too low masses, identical and far too low friction coefficients (though friction depends on weight so the low mass also affects this), little friction or weight on body parts of ragdolls so they act too literally like ragdolls, and far too little gravitational acceleration.

The result is when you bump lightly into tables all the objects on top go sailing off at 45 degrees into the air and slowly tumble to the ground like they're in slow motion, or bodies slide down hills perpetually while doing grim dances and slapping themselves in the face.

In stupid goat simulator type games this is clearly intentional, but it happens in serious games and is what happens when you make things in Unity into physics objects without changing their default attributes so I'm not sure if it's that developers simply don't care enough to tweak things or if they think people even expect physics in games to work like that no matter what the tone of the game is.

It's really quite disappointing that Half Life 2 remains pretty much the only game that does this. Hopefully whatever serious game Valve will eventually churn out builds on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for as much as people made jokes about the physics in half life 2 being a thing valve was proud of they really did make a satisfying engine for all of that that's part of why i still enjoy playing the game to this day

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Physics calculations are very CPU-heavy and the latest generation of consoles really cheaped out on processing power so you don't see too many primo effects like realistic flame spread these days.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

site posted:

Nvidia bought and shelved it within like a year of the first cards release

A bunch of games have physx, but they rarely use gpu acceleration after seeing how cryostasis turned out. I think by now, gpu accelerated physics are reserved for nvidia flex, which I believe has two whole games that support it: fallout 4 and killing floor 2. FO4 has fancy debris when you shoot stuff and KF2 has goopy blood and intestines flying everywhere, it looks nice but it really kills the framerate on older cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10dEyGYGLk

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That was the main reason why the dedicated physics cards were a dead-end: you couldn’t use them for anything substantial. If you assume everyone had one, you could build your game to depend on some really gnarly complicated physics effects (imagine less janky Red Faction-style destructive environments, for example). But, of course, virtually nobody had one of those cards, so instead of having two almost completely different games (fancy vs simple physics) developers just used them for decorative stuff like cloth, glass shards, etc. that had no impact on gameplay.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

exquisite tea posted:

Physics calculations are very CPU-heavy and the latest generation of consoles really cheaped out on processing power so you don't see too many primo effects like realistic flame spread these days.

Yeah, I really hope next-gen sorts this aspect out. Luckily AMD has been absolutely killing it with their CPUs, Ryzen-equipped consoles are going to be an enormous, generational step-up and will seriously step up the plate when it comes to the CPU side of things for years to come. Even back in 2013, the Jaguar CPU in Xbox One/PS4 were obsolete & out of date, and since the majority of PC games are designed with them in mind, it held things back a lot more than some realize. The new consoles are going to be such a major improvement, since AMD has gotten loads of CPU and APU capability in the meantime. It's a rags-to-riches story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Han Solo is the Leslie Nielsen of the Star Wars Universe.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

Han Solo is the Leslie Nielsen of the Star Wars Universe.

You know what? I'll accept that.

He's no Dash Rendar though.

Edit: gently caress, or that green rabbit whose name I can't remember.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

catlord posted:

Yoda, I believe :q:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

That was the main reason why the dedicated physics cards were a dead-end: you couldn’t use them for anything substantial. If you assume everyone had one, you could build your game to depend on some really gnarly complicated physics effects (imagine less janky Red Faction-style destructive environments, for example). But, of course, virtually nobody had one of those cards, so instead of having two almost completely different games (fancy vs simple physics) developers just used them for decorative stuff like cloth, glass shards, etc. that had no impact on gameplay.

The only thing i remember advertising physx when it was A Thing was Arkham asylum and iirc when you turned it on all it did was add a bunch of poo poo on the floors you could walk through and push out of the way and make Batman's cape not clip through stuff and it halved your framerate if you weren't using nvidia

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

?

No wait, I found him:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

haveblue posted:

Don't worry, once they figure out how to make a game again they'll use it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DoombatINC posted:

Yoda, I believe :q:

Cat Mattress posted:

?

No wait, I found him:

This motherfucker. He can't even claim to be the best rabbit in Star Wars, since Max showed up in Jedi Knight (to not get too off-topic).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, I really hope next-gen sorts this aspect out. Luckily AMD has been absolutely killing it with their CPUs, Ryzen-equipped consoles are going to be an enormous, generational step-up and will seriously step up the plate when it comes to the CPU side of things for years to come. Even back in 2013, the Jaguar CPU in Xbox One/PS4 were obsolete & out of date, and since the majority of PC games are designed with them in mind, it held things back a lot more than some realize. The new consoles are going to be such a major improvement, since AMD has gotten loads of CPU and APU capability in the meantime. It's a rags-to-riches story.

One would certainly hope a console coming out 7 years after the previous generation would be a generational leap yes. Consoles have consistently been "obsolete" at launch since the late 80s and frankly the xbone/ps4 were less behind contemporary PCs at launch then the 360/PS3 were in their day.

Nintendo consoles are left out of the discussion because they didn't make a 360/PS3 level console until 2012 and have yet to move beyond the 360/PS3 generation either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

This motherfucker. He can't even claim to be the best rabbit in Star Wars, since Max showed up in Jedi Knight (to not get too off-topic).

And in Dark Forces first.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

IGN just uploaded an hour long interview with Scott Miller of 3DRealms fame where he talks about the games they helped develop/publish and Duke Nukem Forever's troubled development. You can watch it here.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got around to playing Overload from start to finish this weekend. It felt really uninspiring even though it had the original band back together.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

haveblue posted:

And in Dark Forces first.

also showed up in SOTE:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

catlord posted:

holy poo poo, that one challenge point in Shadows of the Empire finally makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
aw poo poo. phone posting. i dont think my picture is showing.

uh, imagine, if you will, Dash Rendar riding a swoop bike on Tatooine. upon leaving Mos Eisley, hidden in the shadow of the city's walls, he finds a solver challenge point shaped like Max.