Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I was arguing in bad faith there. The idea that a good deed is just equivalent to jabbing a needle into your arm is just to depressing not to share.
It's certainly not my personal opinion.

It's not really depressing, just kinda dumb.

Like I'm not sure how much of this is covered by "I was arguing in bad faith", but you described it as "getting more cynical", and that's not really cynical so much as reductive. Also, calling a normal function of a healthy brain "highly addictive"--I dunno who's opinion you're representing if not your own, but you should go back and tell them I said "what are you, Immortan Joe?"

It's a human insult, it's devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, I was arguing in bad faith there. The idea that a good deed is just equivalent to jabbing a needle into your arm is just to depressing not to share.
It's certainly not my personal opinion.

aw man and I just smoked meth bc of you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thinking about humanity logically will always be depressing, especially anything involving the increasingly tenuous idea of free will.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's not really depressing, just kinda dumb.

Like I'm not sure how much of this is covered by "I was arguing in bad faith", but you described it as "getting more cynical", and that's not really cynical so much as reductive. Also, calling a normal function of a healthy brain "highly addictive"--I dunno who's opinion you're representing if not your own, but you should go back and tell them I said "what are you, Immortan Joe?"

It's a human insult, it's devastating.

Yes. Good point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about the "It's devastating. You're devastated right now." is that it strongly implies that Michael was devastated when Eleanor used it on him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite thing about the "It's devastating. You're devastated right now." is that it strongly implies that Michael was devastated when Eleanor used it on him.

Oh drat I never thought of that.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is like watching that episode of Friends where Joey tells Phoebe that there's no such thing as a selfless good deed.

God I loving hate that episode. Of course there's no such thing as a selfless act if you define selfless in a way that excludes anything you make a choice to do!

gently caress friends so much.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

If you think about it, every person has a self, so how can they make a selfless good deed :smuggo:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Peeny Cheez posted:

Well, she didn't follow through all the way, but she did draw up all the papers and pull out her life savings even after sobering up so there's that. So, while not perfect, she still serves as a positive role model and a beacon of hope for compulsive masturbators everywhere.

And don't get me wrong, both I and the good place representatives who argued on her behalf agree with you. But the bad place argument based on the strictest interpretation of the rules was enough to convince the Judge to take the middle road.

Mindy really is the best clue we have of how the system works and what both sides seem to want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

And don't get me wrong, both I and the good place representatives who argued on her behalf agree with you. But the bad place argument based on the strictest interpretation of the rules was enough to convince the Judge to take the middle road.

Mindy really is the best clue we have of how the system works and what both sides seem to want.

That's why I generally assume that the rules were designed by a being (or beings) outside of the Good Place or Bad Place groups, which also suggests to me that it's entirely possible the Good Place folks aren't happy with how things are any more than Michael is. I don't think there's any indication that they're doing something about it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Michael ends up with someone from the Good Place joining his "this system is extremely broken" cause at some point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"well breaking the rules would be bad so our hands are tied" :shrug:.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

double nine posted:

So they're Democrats? :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MaxieSatan posted:

So they're Democrats? :v:

:drat:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so what if I have just terrible, terrible urges, all the time. I hate just about everyone I meet and find faults in everything they do. If someone crosses me the slightest bit, even by accident, even if they're a good friend, I'll spend at least the next ten minutes thinking about how badly I want to kill them, dreaming up new and horrific ways to hurt them. Every woman I see sends me into constant daydreams about sexual assault. I have no real feelings besides anger toward anyone I meet.

Except that I was raised in a good home by parents with a good moral center, and I know that my urges are awful things that I should never follow up on for the good of the world, so I'll fake being cheerful and kind and generous, donate a portion of my salary to the homeless, volunteer my time coaching disadvantaged youths in a basketball league. My wife, kids, everyone who's met me thinks I'm one of the nicest and most caring people they've ever met. I constantly receive awards from the community or local government for my good acts, even though I never ask for them and I'm not interested in the attention. And yet, basically every time I'm around other people, I can't stop thinking about how terrible they are and how much I want to murder them.

Do I get into the Good Place? Once I get there and there's no "for the good of the world", I'm probably gonna start up with the good ol' fashioned ultraviolence. Isn't that my reward?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

double nine posted:

Both sides seem to be willing to bend the rules to their advantage when it suits them, but only the Bad Place people, as far as we know, are willing to out and out break them, though it still seems to be in more covert ways. There's a Higher Power that would mete out punishment if said rules were openly broken but we have no idea as to if that's actually true or how it would be enforced.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Phenotype posted:

Do I get into the Good Place?

Probably. Your neighborhood is designed to cater to your natural whims. Either that, or they decide that you’d just plain enjoy the bad place more, and either send you there or make your good place neighborhood a bad place monitoring/evaluation station

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so what if I have just terrible, terrible urges, all the time. I hate just about everyone I meet and find faults in everything they do. If someone crosses me the slightest bit, even by accident, even if they're a good friend, I'll spend at least the next ten minutes thinking about how badly I want to kill them, dreaming up new and horrific ways to hurt them. Every woman I see sends me into constant daydreams about sexual assault. I have no real feelings besides anger toward anyone I meet.

Except that I was raised in a good home by parents with a good moral center, and I know that my urges are awful things that I should never follow up on for the good of the world, so I'll fake being cheerful and kind and generous, donate a portion of my salary to the homeless, volunteer my time coaching disadvantaged youths in a basketball league. My wife, kids, everyone who's met me thinks I'm one of the nicest and most caring people they've ever met. I constantly receive awards from the community or local government for my good acts, even though I never ask for them and I'm not interested in the attention. And yet, basically every time I'm around other people, I can't stop thinking about how terrible they are and how much I want to murder them.

Do I get into the Good Place? Once I get there and there's no "for the good of the world", I'm probably gonna start up with the good ol' fashioned ultraviolence. Isn't that my reward?

This is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SirSamVimes posted:

Right? Even a demon respects and dreads Eleanor Shellstrop's garbage slinging.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Phenotype posted:

If only there was some sort of afterlife where you could just have a great big bloody murder spree and everyone gets to come back to life and do it all the next day. There'd be no grudges, just good sporting killing and maiming, and every evening you'd have a big feast and completely drunk with everyone you just murdered. Some sort of...chamber of killing, murder hall, violence hall...Viohall or something.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If only there was some sort of afterlife where you could just have a great big bloody murder spree and everyone gets to come back to life and do it all the next day. There'd be no grudges, just good sporting killing and maiming, and every evening you'd have a big feast and completely drunk with everyone you just murdered. Some sort of...chamber of killing, murder hall, violence hall...Viohall or something.

There might be. According to the Good Place point totals, you can both commit a genocide and end slavery and still be way ahead in the positive.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Xelkelvos posted:

Both sides seem to be willing to bend the rules to their advantage when it suits them, but only the Bad Place people, as far as we know, are willing to out and out break them, though it still seems to be in more covert ways. There's a Higher Power that would mete out punishment if said rules were openly broken but we have no idea as to if that's actually true or how it would be enforced.

Well, we don't know exactly what happened to Trevor but it didn't look good. I doubt he got retired that quickly but I'm thinking the Judge would fill out the paperwork to do it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Well, we don't know exactly what happened to Trevor but it didn't look good. I doubt he got retired that quickly but I'm thinking the Judge would fill out the paperwork to do it.

I assume he's still falling in that endless abyss and neither Steve nor the Judge care enough to pull him out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Your Taint posted:

There might be. According to the Good Place point totals, you can both commit a genocide and end slavery and still be way ahead in the positive.

*finger to forehead* Can't keep slaves if all the black people are dead

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rarity posted:

*finger to forehead* Can't keep slaves if all the black people are dead

Settle down there Donald.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My running theory is that point totals don't mean anything but telling demons they do is a way of controlling them via forcing their obsession over minutae; just by learning to want to do good for other people and then acting on that you earn a spot in The Good Place. The Brainy Bunch all learned to be better over this year but Janet and Michael don't know this for sure so Michael is just swept up in obsession and this Janet is too damaged to know the truth any more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the rules are made up and the points don't matter...?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Maybe the rules are made up and the points don't matter...?

Now I want Drew Carey to be w/e the creator of this universe is.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Judge Gen said that from now on the Brainy Bunch are just going to be living their lives and earning points to get into the Good Place like anyone else on earth, so it's probably a real system which they'll end up destroying by the time the show is over (the way this show is paced, more like by season 4 episode 2).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Argue posted:

Judge Gen said that from now on the Brainy Bunch are just going to be living their lives and earning points to get into the Good Place like anyone else on earth, so it's probably a real system which they'll end up destroying by the time the show is over (the way this show is paced, more like by season 4 episode 2).

Or by the end of the next episode I mean this show takes one episode to tell a story that'd take other shows a season

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I was thinking about this today; I wonder if that's the first time someone's said something like that to Michael with the actual intention to hurt his feelings.

Like, we saw that demon talking to Bad Janet in the Bad Place when they were setting up the museum, and when Bad Janet insulted him, the two of them just laughed like that's just how people in the Bad Place talk to each other. They throw insults around, but it's more...reflexive. It's not to be mean, it's just how they talk.

I think it'd also explain why Michael gets so flustered at Trevor's insults when they get to Earth; he's not used to actually trying to say something deliberately mean.

Just a thought.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a Senatorial debate tonight instead of the Good Place, so obviously I've done something wrong

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beat him up Chidi!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
RICK JUSTICE

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Should we kill them?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SHOULD WE KILL THEM

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Thought the FBI play would work.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oh my god

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mods please change my name to Jeremy Bearimy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I could kill all of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
"How do I put this concisely? It's Tuesdays....and also July."