Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Never stop spilling

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knorth posted:

Never stop spilling

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Come on Barnaby, do it before the Wentworth by-election.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

incredible flesh posted:

croatians are about as white as greeks/italians lol, that's not an excuse

if sbs was interested in making great new australian content rather than just treading water they'd be doing comedy-writing workshop outreach in western sydney high schools, lebanese-australians are the funniest people on earth but they don't get opportunities to get stuff out there because oh no john smith aged 68 from gosford won't like this at all

The only valid new content SBS/ABC comedy are interested in is long winded personal communication regarding the trials and tribulations of growing up white and gay at a $35,000 per year Bondi private school.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

When these Senate motions – on average there are 50-60 every sitting week – come, the government asks the relevant ministerial office to advise. In this case, it was the office of Attorney-General Christian Porter.

Porter says his staff interpreted Hanson’s [motion] as “a motion opposing racism. The associations of the language were not picked up”. An email was sent – advising support – “without my knowledge”.

Porter put the blame on his staff – in fact two were involved – for misinterpreting the motion and so failing to “escalate” it up to him.

One would have thought ministerial staff would be particularly alert to Hanson motions, and think very carefully before concluding she was doing something as unlikely as putting forward an anti-racist one.

Porter’s office gave its first advice in September, when the motion was lodged.

But in a tactics meeting, Mathias Cormann, who is Senate leader, overrode the view from the Porter office.

The Senate leadership decided the Coalition would oppose the motion, accompanying its opposition with a statement that the government condemned all forms of racism.

The motion was expected to come to a vote on September 20 but the Senate ran out of time.

When the motion was looming this week, unbeknown to Cormann, fresh advice was sought from Porter’s office, which again declared it should be supported.

Cormann was paired and not in the chamber when it was dealt with; he only found out the government had voted for it after the event (it was defeated 31-28). Cormann hadn’t been informed that his earlier decision had been overridden by the latest advice from the Porter office. Another failure of “escalation”.

Cormann threw himself under the blame bus on Tuesday, but actually he’d tried earlier to stop the government being run over by the Hanson truck.

Cormann is a company man through and through, threw himself under the bus despite not being to blame while Porter hid and pointed blame at his underlings.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The government has again refused to table the Philip Ruddock led review into religious freedoms to the Senate

OH NO, OWN GOAL

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bell jar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 17, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

OH NO, OWN GOAL

I'm betting there is even worse stuff in there and beating on gay kids was them testing the waters.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

norp posted:

I'm betting there is even worse stuff in there and beating on gay kids was them testing the waters.

A 50 page section on gay wedding cakes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

Cormann is a company man through and through, threw himself under the bus despite not being to blame while Porter hid and pointed blame at his underlings.

Personally, I think you'd have to be a complete and utter moron not to assume that Porter himself supported the motion, if not implicitly then tacitly by not dealing with the issue of the white supremacists on his ministerial staff the FIRST TIME they suggested the Senate support the motion.

But of course, the Media won't ask any hard questions of the Liberal party and we're back to playing Stupid Chess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/1052364734341599232

Cat Hat has realised he won't get back in in the next Federal election.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

norp posted:

All the recommendations are out, the most damning stuff is already public.

What’s stalling things is the Government response - they’ll have to either accept, reject or “note” (read as: reject but this is politically sensitive) each recommendation, and the fight over whether to legislate religious exemption from anti-discrimination law is going to further tear the coalition apart - see the question of gay teachers already causing trouble. ScoMo will be looking to delay that particular Cabinet argument as long as possible to maintain the facade of coalition unity.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Just got a Facebook ad for the Voluntary Euthanasia Party. Makes sense, given I spend most of my time on nihilist meme pages.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sad Wendigo posted:

Max Recruitment did me in over the six months I had to deal with them. Put them up against the same wall as Sarina Russo. It was only after I got a job myself that the say me down for an assessment. It was later that I realised they were trying to put me on a higher level of need so that they could get better government kickbacks for claiming they finally got me a job.

They're all bad by design. There is something patently wrong with a system that creates one of the richest people in Australia off unemployed people, who generally consider you more of a hindrance than a help.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's the epitome of Neoliberalism.

Give rich people money for making bullshit metrics, which they achieve by making GBS threads on poor people with no resources or agency. All in order to achieve ultimately nothing of value, forever.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

Just got a Facebook ad for the Voluntary Euthanasia Party. Makes sense, given I spend most of my time on nihilist meme pages.

mandatory euthanasia or bust imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

GoldStandardConure posted:

mandatory euthanasia or bust imo

Just tow cholula out into the harbour and let nature take its course

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Trans Pacific Partnership bill has passed the Senate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au Liveblog posted:

Liberal senator James Paterson popped up on Sky to talk about why the Israel embassy should move to Jerusalem.

It’s no surprise he is in favour. It’s also a policy that is put forward by the branches at state and national level quite frequently. Until Tuesday, the parliamentary team response was “this won’t be happening”.

“ ... It is Israel’s capital. The only question is, should we persist with the fiction, should we pretend it is not really Israel’s capital, or should we pretend another city, to the north is actually Israel’s capital? I don’t think there is any value in pretending, when we know what the truth is.

Ho ho ho.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

You Am I posted:

The Trans Pacific Partnership bill has passed the Senate.

I literally thought this happened years ago

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/pm-totally-open-to-nuclear-power-if-economics-stack-up

Scott Morrison supports nuclear power.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

"if the economics stack up" which means he actually doesn't support nuclear power because, well, they don't.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Scott Morrison reading this thread

"Hmm, dumping nuclear waste through a hole in the top of Uluru isn't actually a bad idea"

Edit: yeah his comment is purposefully vague to gain support from pro nuclearists while minimising the damage. He is just sitting in his office going down a list of every potential policy ever trying to find a way to get wring some more votes out of morons citizens

Turns out Prime Ministering is just like doing your household budget!!!!!!!

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 17, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Another shocking nail in the coffin for the LNP as Labor vote with them to reject all of the TPP's amendments and have it sail through the senate. This is a win for Labor, who are steadfastly against the TPP planning to roll it back when they get in power voting for the TPP despite major internal concerns just really glad to be here today, sharing this wonderful country with all of you.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

The Before Times posted:

"if the economics stack up" which means he actually doesn't support nuclear power because, well, they don't.

That was my take on it too. Easy to appeal to the pro nuclear crowd now before the election, and easy to dump it later on.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

Another shocking nail in the coffin for the LNP as Labor vote with them to reject all of the TPP's amendments and have it sail through the senate. This is a win for Labor, who are steadfastly against the TPP planning to roll it back when they get in power voting for the TPP despite major internal concerns just really glad to be here today, sharing this wonderful country with all of you.

Nice to see capitalism entrenching inaction on fixing capitalism.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

It's that the same excuse Shorten is using for the Adani Coal Mine?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He didn't even promise to throw a few million at a study, that's how little he gives a poo poo about it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wants to be seen as thinking deeply on things because he doesn't know what he's doing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/1052364734341599232

Cat Hat has realised he won't get back in in the next Federal election.

Nah he just wants to be among peers with similar attitudes and behaviours.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's getting built by a consortium of NSW property developers, sold to Adani, and staffed by Serco.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

AbortRetryFail posted:

Scott Morrison reading this thread

"Good lord what is that cartoon pony doing?!"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScoMo is very interesting to me. This is all armchair analysis, but originally I thought he was a conservative; now I think that just like Turnbull he’s an opportunist with no fixed ideals. However, he lacks Turnbull’s self-assuredness so you see him running off down random policy tangents to try to appeal to as many people as possible - see for example his idea for a second Australia Day for Aboriginal people, or the Israeli embassy, or now this Nuclear thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

In these dark days even our raptorfags have abandoned us.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BBJoey posted:

ScoMo is very interesting to me. This is all armchair analysis, but originally I thought he was a conservative; now I think that just like Turnbull he’s an opportunist with no fixed ideals. However, he lacks Turnbull’s self-assuredness so you see him running off down random policy tangents to try to appeal to as many people as possible - see for example his idea for a second Australia Day for Aboriginal people, or the Israeli embassy, or now this Nuclear thing.

So he IS Rudd's leadership ambitions

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

I just think he knows he's a dead man walking and he's selling every scruple he ever had in an effort to prevent an electoral slaughter next year.

But then I realised he's mostly responsible for our current asylum seeker situation (we don't discuss on-water matters lol), so he's got no scruples anyway so he'll happily do ANYTHING to help the ultra-conservative elements of the government in any way he can.
It'd be hilarious to watch if it wasn't causing massive ongoing damage to so much in the country. And the planet.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah but weren't those guys actually Lebanese?

Also I swear there was an episode where the sign said 'Habib' as he was driving past and he was just like "aww mannn".

The episode with the Habib sign was on 7mate the other day https://youtu.be/kM7CtGOgc0A

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Nationals leader who isn't the beetroot is drowning on his feet in question time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

me at this election trying to differentiate the two main parties

• Locked thread