Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

What even is the story of Cats? I could read the synopsis somewhere but I'd rather have a goon explain it to me with the appropriate level of derision and animosity.

the shortest possible summary: Andrew Lloyd Webber did a metric loving poo poo-ton of coke while reading TS Eliot's cat poems.

a slightly longer summary: it's essentially a look at, for lack of a better way of putting it, cat culture. we witness a tribe of "Jellicle" cats going through a single night, on which they perform a magic ritual that causes one of the cats (chosen by the elder patriarch of the cats) to ascend to space, upon which they will be reincarnated.

I swear to christ I did not make a single word of that up.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nightmares In A Damaged Brain.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That sounds uncannily like my original idea for the Alien prequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I gotta give them credit though, there's no possible way you could pitch or sell that nowadays, nevermind have it run for 25 years as a Broadway staple.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the shortest possible summary: Andrew Lloyd Webber did a metric loving poo poo-ton of coke while reading TS Eliot's cat poems.

a slightly longer summary: it's essentially a look at, for lack of a better way of putting it, cat culture. we witness a tribe of "Jellicle" cats going through a single night, on which they perform a magic ritual that causes one of the cats (chosen by the elder patriarch of the cats) to ascend to space, upon which they will be reincarnated.

I swear to christ I did not make a single word of that up.

Sounds like a HP Lovecraft thing. At one point the protagonist befriending space cats from the moon is a plot point and they come back to rescue him later. (also, more blatant racism involving cats)

At a guess they'd likely very loosely adapt the characters and maybe themes of Cats into a coherent narrative.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't really get why Andrew Lloyd Weber was so hated until I saw a segment about a reality show he was involved with on Screenwipe. a 3 second shot of his smug rear end face and I understood.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like Cats has to have one of the biggest deltas between cultural longevity and quality in all the history of the West.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing is Cats is actually, like, genuinely a good musical. it's also batshit loving insane.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing is Cats is actually, like, genuinely a good musical. it's also batshit loving insane.

Maybe I'm not a true head, I got nothing against ALW but I've always thought it was chintzy. What do you like about it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Gus, Mestophilees and Grizabella have good bits.
//Specifically:
Gus The Theatre Cat actually captures some remorse and wistfulness and is written in a fun way.
Mestophilees' dance is technically difficult and impressive and it goes on for a long loving time

Griz basically birthed a musical standard. I guess the whole moment os the centerpiece of the show, too.

Everything else is just mediocre to :catdrugs:

Which would be fine if there was a plot to catch you between the crazyness

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 17, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe I'm not a true head, I got nothing against ALW but I've always thought it was chintzy. What do you like about it?

honestly, everything around the songs is somewhere between "dumb as hell" and "JESUS CHRIST HOW MUCH COKE DID ALW DO", but the songs themselves are pretty universally great. the ones FilthyImp mentioned in particular are especially good.

i'm not really a true head either and i've only seen it pretty much by pure coincidence, but i remember actually being weirdly impressed with it considering its reputation as weird kitsch.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Some of the songs ARE good but I think there's just no way around the fact that they're being sung by cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
e: nvm, :can:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

here's Rum Tum Tugger, a selifish and contrary cat!

aka just a normal fuckin cat

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Unless you're going to get Paul F Tompkins as Andrew Lloyd Webber to direct it, what's the loving point?
Also, every cat is played by Aubrey Plaza in slightly different facepaint

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
The fact that Cats is responsible, in a very roundabout way, of crediting T.S Eliotas writer on a rucking Andrew Loyd Webber musical will never stop to make me laugh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Everything else is just mediocre to :catdrugs:

I liked "Of the Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles, With Some Account of the Participation of the Pugs and the Poms and the Intervention of the Great Rumpuscat".

Say what you like about Cats but I've seen it twice on stage (once in the year before it closed on the West End and once as a touring production) and it's less of a chore to sit through than The Phantom of the Opera or Evita. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat is a lot better, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FilthyImp posted:

It's based off of a T.S. Elliot set of poems about some junkyard strays his kid called Jellicle Cats (who knows why).
The play is an excuse for a bunch of songs and setpieces about the cats, each with their own backstory and quirks that would rival the most obtuse Sonic fanfic writers -- ooh here's Rum Tum Tugger, a selifish and contrary cat! What a character! Watch out for that magical black cat, Mr. Mephstopheles!! That'a not racist at all!!!

The thin plot concerns itself with the cats picking one of their own to die and be reborn in what they call the Heavenside Layer, so a lot of the song bits end up being sad cries for a shot at a second life. There's, for example, an old cat that used to hang out at a theatre so he's like an Old Hollywood hasbeen and is wracked with palsy and arthritis.

Throughout the play, a hideous gray cat keeps getting shunned by the group. This is Grizabella, who used to be loving hot but now she's past 40 and cant get anyone to call her back and gently caress just die already Grizabella your youth is gone you waste of flesh. She sings ''Memory', which is probably the best known song of the work, and the group decides to pity her and let her be reborn.

It's apparently a great show if you enjoy technical dance, but I was totally lost the time I caught it on PBS.

:stare: jesus can you imagine Cats in its heyday if tumblr existed

I think we'd all long for the future of rapping founding fathers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Gus, Mestophilees and Grizabella have good bits.

please do not plagiarize SMG's aliens prequel

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Having been dragged by my parents to nearly every ALW musical playing in the West End when I was a kid, I can say with absolute confidence that nothing will ever be as bad as Starlight Express, the rock opera romance about anthropomorphic trains.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Having been dragged by my parents to nearly every ALW musical playing in the West End when I was a kid, I can say with absolute confidence that nothing will ever be as bad as Starlight Express, the rock opera romance about anthropomorphic trains.

this artwork is pretty :krad:I gotta say

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just tried to read the Wiki synopsis for Cats and all the cat names gave me brain cancer. The summary up-thread sounds entertainingly hosed up, but I don't know what to make of the fact that every character is named something like Mr. Tiddlywinks.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

me and my mom were discussing all of the musicals we've seen over the years, since we make it to New York to see things fairly regularly and also when they come on tour closer to us, and there was unanimous agreement between us that Cats was the worst thing we've seen on stage.

I really like musicals but both Rogers & Hammerstein and ALW are very hit or miss for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

I just tried to read the Wiki synopsis for Cats and all the cat names gave me brain cancer. The summary up-thread sounds entertainingly hosed up, but I don't know what to make of the fact that every character is named something like Mr. Tiddlywinks.

One of the poems - "The Naming of Cats" - is actually about this very topic. It says that all cats have three names: the names their human owners give them; the names they use when they interact with other cats; and their secret name which they call themselves.

(This poem was a sequel to "The Waste Land".)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

while we're on the subject im genuinely curious if theres obscure plays that were spectacular failures that are :allears: to read about

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

while we're on the subject im genuinely curious if theres obscure plays that were spectacular failures that are :allears: to read about

Lionel Bart sold the rights to Oliver! for £350 (to a promoter who subsequently sold them on for £250,000) to finance productions of musicals like the resoundingly unsuccessful Twang!! and the notorious La Strada which was infamously cancelled after a single performance.

Of course Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark should require no introduction.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

oh please do

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

oh please do

This is a reasonably good summary.

One of the various projects that eventually became Batman '89 was a Broadway musical which would have featured songs by Jim Steinman, who's most famous for writing "Holding Out for a Hero" and "Total Eclipse of the Heart" for Bonnie Tyler and the first two Bat Out of Hell albums for Meat Loaf and whose main musical theatre contribution had been the composition of the music for Tanz der Vampire.

For example, the Joker's song ("Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?") showed up as a line of Jack Nicholson's dialogue in the movie. As late as 2006, songs like "Cry To Heaven" (which was supposed to be Batman's big showstopping number or something) and the fantastically-named "In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher Is King" (an ensemble piece to be performed by the Gotham City crime bosses) were appearing on Bat Out of Hell III.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

oh please do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RgR0-EWuNY

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRfbPGXcMLM

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I forget what the gently caress I was watching that Starlight Express came up in, I presume some kind of documentary I found at 3AM, but learning that "Oh, this thing you've never heard of has been running non-stop in a custom theater in Germany for 25 (at the time) years, here, take a look" was the closest I've ever come to an acid trip as they showed one of the songs in its entirety as a full cast of rollerskating performers began flying around a multi-story track lit up like they were Michael Jackson in the Billie Jean video everywhere they flew.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest scene in Cats is the scene where the lead cat has a fight with the villain but they try to stage it like two actual cats fighting, so what you get is a pair of grown men in furry unitards sort of leaning over one another and pretending to scratch each other. Then the villain beats the hero, throws him off to the side of the stage and the other performers all mime licking him, because they're cats.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Look, there's no one like MacCavity.

No one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's a fiend in feline form; a monster of depravity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole concept of people dancing like cats just makes the whole thing unseemly, like that dalmatian dance the dean watches in Community.

It’s like there’s an aesthetic/erotic boundary that gets crossed in a very wrong way when you have humans emulate the movements of cats.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And this is a reminder to watch "The Producers".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Or is it just that the depravity of the internet has made everything unseemly?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The actual cats book of poetry, by the way, is extremely accessible, you could read it as a children's book

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1DdMeVqTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I guess you could say grover brought down the house