Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know there's a lot wrong with the movie, but in the beginning of 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2' the two yuppie idiots call into the radio show and refuse to hang up. Somehow that means that the DJ (Stretch?) is forced to not only stay on the phone, but also air the entire call. I was alive during this time (1986?) and I do not remember any sort of issue with phones where you could basically take over someone else's line by simply not ending the call.

EDIT: What a stupid loving question to start a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
TCM 2 is great I dunno what you're on about

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable, but there's a lot that makes little to no sense, starting with Hooper's assertion that the original was a laugh riot but the audience just didn't get it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

She is in an isolated room that is locked

Sterling K. Brown was in the room standing next to her.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was alive during this time (1986?) and I do not remember any sort of issue with phones where you could basically take over someone else's line by simply not ending the call.
I don't know why he'd have to air it but I distinctly remember landlines worked like this in the UK in the 90s - we called a mate from a party to ask why he was late, he said he was calling a taxi as soon as he got off the phone and we refused to hang up just to wind him up. :v:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I know there's a lot wrong with the movie, but in the beginning of 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2' the two yuppie idiots call into the radio show and refuse to hang up. Somehow that means that the DJ (Stretch?) is forced to not only stay on the phone, but also air the entire call. I was alive during this time (1986?) and I do not remember any sort of issue with phones where you could basically take over someone else's line by simply not ending the call.

On old analog switches, the line would stay open until both parties hung up. Back when I was a kid, you'd have the problem of picking up the phone and just hearing background noise from the last place you called.

This would only happen on the same exchange. Back when you would dial your neighbors with just 4 numbers. Once everyone went to digital, that went away. For my family, that was about '92.

Maybe there used to be a trick to get the line to drop. I remember that at my grandparents place it wouldn't do an auto off hook until it had been sitting for more than 20 minutes. At our house in northern MN, it would hold open on local calls forever if one line was still open. Even overnight. That was super irritating.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I on,y have one example right now but in movies when characters deliberately use language only to hide things from the audience. In Justice League when they revive Superman Batman says they need “the big gun” when Superman starts attacking them The big gun refers to Lois but why use a code name in this instance? Just say send in Lois, don’t say send in the big gun. It’s only to keep Lois a surprise to the audience.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My immediate IIMM is how much I enjoyed Unfriended 2: Social Media BOOgaloo.

e: realized 25 hrs later my grave error in saying 'Horrorloo' and not 'BOOgaloo'

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Oct 18, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't know why he'd have to air it but I distinctly remember landlines worked like this in the UK in the 90s - we called a mate from a party to ask why he was late, he said he was calling a taxi as soon as he got off the phone and we refused to hang up just to wind him up. :v:

We'd do poo poo like this in Australia, too.

Call a mate's house but not hang up at the end the call. Then wait until his sister or whoever went to make a call and yell in her ear and scare the poo poo out of her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable, but there's a lot that makes little to no sense, starting with Hooper's assertion that the original was a laugh riot but the audience just didn't get it.

The original is really funny. I mean it’s not like a horror comedy or something, but there are a lot of deliberately funny things in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

She is in an isolated room that is locked

It's part of the procedure, you do it every time regardless.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nws language

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypVdKfwbdsA

Call in radio shows and things like that have much more complicated setups than just a home phone ands not as simple as just hanging up on them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Nws language

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypVdKfwbdsA

Call in radio shows and things like that have much more complicated setups than just a home phone ands not as simple as just hanging up on them.

So, especially back in the day, what kept listeners from calling in to a radio show and basically taking a line hostage for as long as they'd like?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Well ideally the producer or someone from the production team vets the caller before they go on the air, which is how the announcer knows their name, who they are, etc.

More naive or underfunded shows forget or skip this step tho.

The thing about entertainment is that it looks easier to producer than it is, which is the bitch of the thing. The idea is easy, the execution is always the hard part.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Oct 17, 2018

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Well ideally the producer or someone from the production team vets the caller before they go on the air, which is how the announcer knows their name, who they are, etc.

More naive or underfunded shows forget or skip this step tho.

The thing about entertainment is that it looks easier to producer than it is, which is the bitch of the thing. The idea is easy, the execution is always the hard part.

I get the vast majority of how it works, including the vetting. I'm just surprised that apparently there was the ability to hijack one of the phonelines of a radio station by simply not hanging up. I figured I would have heard about this more often during the 80s and 90s when stuff like Stern and Imus were still on terrestrial radio.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Shouldn't radio stations also be able switch the "on air" audio to another line though? So a caller could take a line hostage, but they'd just be talking to empty space.

Come to think of it, even if the radio station has just a single line shouldn't they at least be able to mute the caller?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

mostlygray posted:

Maybe there used to be a trick to get the line to drop. I remember that at my grandparents place it wouldn't do an auto off hook until it had been sitting for more than 20 minutes. At our house in northern MN, it would hold open on local calls forever if one line was still open. Even overnight. That was super irritating.

The local trunking was why you had to dial an 800 number (or long distance) before using a bluebox and sending the 2600Hz tone, the remote trunk would drop you off-hook (actually supervisory flash,) but the local one would still know you were on the line. This would allow you to dial back out using the same rate as the first number you dialed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The way the uk landlines had been set up meant there was an easy scam exploiting how hanging up worked.

Basically if person A phones person B, and person B hangs up, the call doesnt actually end until A hangs up.

So scammers would call someone with something suspicious, and tell them to call their bank.

Then they'd play fake dial tones and impersonate the bank to get the account information.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you were an effectively-invulnerable Killer Klown from outer space, and your vulnerable weak spot was the big jolly candy-like red nose right in the middle of your face, wouldn't you wear something that protects it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe their culture is really into performative masculinity and likes to show off how badass they are by keeping it vulnerable. Sorta like how male guppies have that highly visible and tasty red spot on their bodies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Or like peacocks. The tail's a giant handicap for the males therefore any male that's survived to breeding age is that much more of a badass and desirable mating partner for the female. Good point.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The amount of stupid infecting the crew in Alien Covenant is so high it completely took me out of the movie. Where do I begin?

They divert from their original mission because...they heard a song. Not a distress signal, just some random song. They literally fly through a thunderstorm to land. They explore this alien planet without any kind of space suit or personal protection gear. They split up almost immediately. They touch random alien poo poo. One locks another crewmemberin a quarantined room to die. Then returns to that quarantined room with a shotgun, and ends up slipping on the floor (seriously) and letting the alien out. As a follow up to that act of brilliance, she blows up the lander the group took to the planet when she fires at a bunch of gas canisters. The rest of the group trusts a literal cloaked figure (bad android) who leads them to city-turned-graveyard and acts incredibly suspicious the entire time.

At one point the protagonist gets her life saved by good android against the bad android (the androids look identical each other). Rather than helping the good android and/or making sure the bad android doesn't get back on the ship, she just leaves.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of good androids, I liked Bishop in part due to the fact that he would basically recite the changelog for all the iterations of androids in an effort to reassure Ripley.

"I want you to deactivate me. I can be refurbished, but I'll never be top of the line" RIP Bishop, you're doing the knifey hand game up in Robot Heaven along with the good T-800

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The amount of stupid infecting the crew in Alien Covenant is so high it completely took me out of the movie. Where do I begin?

Everyone was incredibly dumb. Literally incredibly, it is not credible that they would be that dumb.

quote:

They divert from their original mission because...they heard a song. Not a distress signal, just some random song. They literally fly through a thunderstorm to land. They explore this alien planet without any kind of space suit or personal protection gear.

"We just touched down on a completely unknown planet that we didn't even bother to survey or research at all and we're not observing any kind of prophylaxis at all, and I'm suddenly feeling ill. I know! I will conceal this from everyone and pretend that nothing is wrong."

Then they bring sick people back to their ship without any quarantine procedures. Even after one of the crewmembers asks "Are we talking about quarantine procedures?" The other one says "I don't know." Because why would you bother to discuss that stuff before launching a colony ship with thousands of people on it?

quote:

They split up almost immediately. They touch random alien poo poo. One locks another crewmemberin a quarantined room to die. Then returns to that quarantined room with a shotgun,

Because shotguns are really useful against the kinds of microbes you'd invoke quarantine for!

quote:

The rest of the group trusts a literal cloaked figure (bad android) who leads them to city-turned-graveyard and acts incredibly suspicious the entire time.

At one point the protagonist gets her life saved by good android against the bad android (the androids look identical each other).

Note that at one point the suspicious-acting bad android cuts his long hair in a manner that looks exactly like good android. Nobody notices this, or cares, or suggests that "No, this is weird. How about you cut all your hair off, or just take this Sharpie and draw a big black X on your forehead so we can tell you apart?" Later, one of the crew trusts this android when he says "Yes, it's perfectly safe to stick your face right over this egg-looking thing," despite the fact that this same android previously told them things were perfectly safe right before everyone started getting eaten. And of course the crewmember who goes to clean herself off ("I will stick my open wounds into this water of unknown cleanliness on the planet full of alien microbes that infected my crewmates") hasn't come back yet so they go looking for her one at a time.

And it had script issues. Like, one of them says "The cargo lifter wasn't intended for deep space launch so we can't launch it" as he is flying through the atmosphere, which is not deep space.

This is an idiot movie with an idiot plot written by idiots about characters who are idiots. Everyone in this film deserved to die.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I cut my post short because I was actually getting frustrated remembering all the other dumb poo poo they did in that movie.

Like its different than being frustrated that the AI-controlled colony ship can do lots of complex poo poo but apparently they still need an android to actually push buttons and pull levers. Whatever, that's the technology presented to us. But when people act completely retarded about what should be common sense things it just takes you out of the movie viewing experience.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Explicitly tying Prometheus into the Alien franchise was dumb and tripling down didn't do the sequel any favors.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The daughter was the girl from twilight,clearly she was wasting time cause she didn't like her either and was hoping she'd croak it.

Eat my rear end, Kristen Stewart is great and she’s been in some fantastic movies lately

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
My IIMM is that they took the inaccurate criticism levelled at Prometheus and then made those same erroneous complaints accurate in Covenant.

It’s got some greatness in it, but it’s mostly bad. Also, it’s established that the new version of David can regenerate wounds (as seen post-stabbing), but at the end their dressing Evil David’s wounds. Isn’t that when you notice this isn’t who you thought?

I might be misremembering that part, but save for some glimmers of excellence, I was mostly apathetic to the entire thing. I would watch a film series of David misadventures in a heartbeat though.

While we’re on the subject, I could tell you something about every main character in Prometheus after first watching it. Their personalities are established. I couldn’t tell you much about the characters in Covenant besides Wears A Cowboy Hat, Burning Man Franco, Protagonist.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just want an Alien movie that isn’t loving drenched in lore. Give me an Alien one-off story with characters we never see again. gently caress robot David, I’m bored of him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The biggest problem with Prometheus and Covenant is that Ridley Scott thinks his androids are insanely cool but they’re not.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah it's kind of dumb Kristen Stewart is still judged by the Twilight movies.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Gaunab posted:

Yeah it's kind of dumb Kristen Stewart is still judged by the Twilight movies.

Exactly, she's got a lot of depth. She is terrible and uninteresting in many different ways.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Exactly, she's got a lot of depth. She is terrible and uninteresting in many different ways.

Excellent post/username combo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Excellent post/username combo

The best thing she's ever done was help to ruin the marriage of the director who directed that godawful Snow White and the Huntsman movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw her in some movie where she was a Guantanamo guard and she was pretty terrible

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw her in some movie where she was a Guantanamo guard and she was pretty terrible

That movie was awful. I hate to say this, but she was the least of that film's problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Queen Combat posted:

That movie was awful. I hate to say this, but she was the least of that film's problems.

That's probably kind of a theme.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prometheus is beautiful to look at and has great music so I can appreciate it even when the story doesn’t interest me but Covenant is below average all around.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just want an Alien movie that isn’t loving drenched in lore. Give me an Alien one-off story with characters we never see again. gently caress robot David, I’m bored of him.

Aliens vs Gremlins.

It works because the Gremlins come from outer space, too, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JediTalentAgent posted:

Aliens vs Gremlins.

It works because the Gremlins come from outer space, too, I think.

Your punishment is to go watch both Gremlins movies as soon as possible.

Edit: you might have been thinking of Critters