Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
there's no PvE beyond whatever goals you set for yourself, and I pity anyone who sincerely involves themselves with PvP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There are dungeons and poo poo, with bosses in them. Unfortunately you cant ride your dinos in them so they suck. They revolve around the awful combat and require absolutely absurd almost cheat-like gear that makes you 99% invincible for the entire rest of the game except these dungeons where you get instantly wrecked.

So basically they exist but I would not make it a point to do them.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

extra row of teeth posted:

I heard the game comes with a built-in LAN server too? Because another thing is my boyfriend has similar tastes, and a private server of just us two with all the mods we want would be great as a couch game.

The p2p multiplayer kind of blows as there's a tether range that whoever the client is can't stray too far from the host. The LAN server would require a seperate instance running that you both could connect to, but for myself and the wife we just pay like 9bux/mo for a nitrado server that we have passworded for just us.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am pretty happy just running around building poo poo over the map and exploring. I finally got a industrial forge and build an addition to my lakehouse to house it.

It doesn't help its been ages since I saw a griffon, so I haven't done any taming lately.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Anne Pranks here, not many may remember me but I was there early on until my employment took over,lol.

Girlfriend discovered the game on PS4 and bought me a copy. I haven't played since foreign legion poo poo but is there a goon or allied presence on PS4?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Trump towers server 40 server 82 after wipe, the idea to start the foreign legion. Yeah.

My favorites are still rainbow bridge and McGoonalds

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Got the game, gently caress it.

I want to build the land, farm some crops, and breed/raise dinosaurs. Like a gritty realistic Stardew Valley. Saurdew Valley.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Got the game, gently caress it.

I want to build the land, farm some crops, and breed/raise dinosaurs. Like a gritty realistic Stardew Valley. Saurdew Valley.

Goon Server where a few of us chill out on Ragnarok: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862246
HMU if you want in the :airquote: main tribe :airquote: or want an alliance so our idiot plants don't murder you.

Does this have crossplay? Pretty sure I got captured by PS4 dudes once on an official...

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Goon Server where a few of us chill out on Ragnarok: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862246
HMU if you want in the :airquote: main tribe :airquote: or want an alliance so our idiot plants don't murder you.

Does this have crossplay? Pretty sure I got captured by PS4 dudes once on an official...

Thanks! I'm going to gently caress around and learn the controls in single player mode first with maximum babymode on. Afterwards will likely join you guys, because playing with goons is always fun.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Pretty sure there are 3 buckets:

PS4
Steam
Windows Store / XBOX

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks! I'm going to gently caress around and learn the controls in single player mode first with maximum babymode on. Afterwards will likely join you guys, because playing with goons is always fun.

Check out some of the youtube videos on building a greenhouse. The way the irrigation is done (crosspipe set below the foundation) is a handy thing to know and will help with your farming.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Being able to hide pipes is great. It means the horrible spiderwebs I've created to bring water into my place and greenhouse cannot be seen.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

https://youtu.be/kyz7Sv4VtaE

I've been watching this guy for inspiration and learning some of the ways to fudge the clunky build system in ARK, never would have thought of hiding the pipes in the floor before this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love dying and not being able to find your body. Well, good by Griffon, Bird and ascendant armor and weapons. Well, the birbs are still alive, just unreachable.

Dragons aggro range is stupid.

In memory of everything, the buildings I have build

My attempt to build a pyramid

Cabin in the readwoods near the red obelisk

I really like this one for some reason.

Castle on the coast near the red obelisk

Metal fort by the volcanos.

Throne room. I wish there was a better chair

And the lakehouse that's my main base of operations

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 13, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

I love dying and not being able to find your body. Well, good by Griffon, Bird and ascendant armor and weapons.

Dragons aggro range is stupid.

In memory of everything, the buildings I have build

My attempt to build a pyramid

Cabin in the readwoods near the red obelisk

I really like this one for some reason.

Castle on the coast near the red obelisk

Metal fort by the volcanos.

Castle behind the castle ruins by Viking Bay

Throne room. I wish there was a better chair

And the lakehouse that's my main base of operations

Nice builds!

Speaking of murdered by Dragons and losing your bird: Thick finally solved the Dragon Problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcULSbRzya0 :haw:

That also makes me want to put a cannon on something...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nice builds!

Speaking of murdered by Dragons and losing your bird: Thick finally solved the Dragon Problem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcULSbRzya0 :haw:

That also makes me want to put a cannon on something...

I literally watched that video while it happened. They're stuck in the extreme south where I had no idea there were dragons. And I only died becuase of course i didn't drop any stuff I picked up. Killed by my own greed.

Also, this is the 3rd time i died after getting a jerboa. They are a harbinger of doom.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 13, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So looking at my Bps and resources, the only thing that is actually irreplaceable is the ascendant compoud bow, and i'll just make the ascendant longneck to replace it. I will have to get another bird and griffin though, which sucks because Cheeseburger has been around for along time so it was really high in Stam and Weight.

Its so dumb and 100% my fault. I didn't need to land to get the big ore deposits, and if I had been wearing my armor and didn't pick up so much stone, i would have survived and not have lost Deathwing. The frustrating thing is it took forever to find a griffin close enough to the Beaver Castle to kite it back to it and KO it so I could train it. I did locate the red loot crate in the desert though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

So looking at my Bps and resources, the only thing that is actually irreplaceable is the ascendant compoud bow, and i'll just make the ascendant longneck to replace it. I will have to get another bird and griffin though, which sucks because Cheeseburger has been around for along time so it was really high in Stam and Weight.

Its so dumb and 100% my fault. I didn't need to land to get the big ore deposits, and if I had been wearing my armor and didn't pick up so much stone, i would have survived and not have lost Deathwing. The frustrating thing is it took forever to find a griffin close enough to the Beaver Castle to kite it back to it and KO it so I could train it. I did locate the red loot crate in the desert though.

I can roll back if you want to undo it. :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I can roll back if you want to undo it. :shrug:

Nope, i'm good. I already have a new Birb and also grabbed a pteranodon. If I had lost it all due to some bullshit, like a troodon KOing me out of nowhere I might, but if I had worn my flak armor, and not carried so much stuff that I could barely move, and didn't land in a unknown place to grab mats I didn't really need, it wouldn't have happened. I will be punished for my greed. Though it was weird that I couldn't see the green light showing where my body was at all. I have no idea if I can recover the two mounts from there. They're not dead according to the log, but with so many dragons around there they might as well be. Unless dragons are easy to kill? The ascendant Longneck I made does 1400 damage per hit.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Use a Ptera to zoom close enough to spam whistle follow and gtfo. Unless there was a butte tonne of dragons in which case they might kill the tame as soon as you load them back in, before you can get close enough to whistle.
Also spam passive whistle or the tame will ignore the follow command if it's already aggroed.
It's worth giving it a shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I'll strip naked and go with my pter. I still have no idea where on the map it is though. I'll have to retrace my steps from the pyramid.

With my buildings, my goal is to have safe, well equipped places to respawn or just use as places to safely log out at. I need to stick one closer to the center of the map. I have one in spino valley but I need one a bit south west of there, plus on the south mountain.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Coming back to mess around for a few weeks again. Is Aberration worth picking up at this point? I've played the poo poo out of The Island, Ragnarok and The Center. Any other maps worth checking out?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Aberration is fun. Lack of anything that properly flies is different. Big jumping crabs, glider suits and gliding with rock drakes make for some interesting gameplay.
Extinction update/dlc is supposed to be only a few weeks away too.
Scorched earth is bullshit. Don't bother with that map unless you hate yourself more than a reasonable amount.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am not a fan of harsh temp mechanics, so avoided the poo poo out of Scorched Earth. I might turn off/down the stuff in Aberration if it's too much of a pain. Extinction actually looks pretty interesting. Will check it out more. Any idea if I need to buy Aberration to run Extinction?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

As far as I'm aware it's still a separate expansion and will be available on its own as well as with the season pass.
I found temperature mechs in aberration reasonable, maybe a little on the harsh side in the starter zones though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doom Rooster posted:

Coming back to mess around for a few weeks again. Is Aberration worth picking up at this point? I've played the poo poo out of The Island, Ragnarok and The Center. Any other maps worth checking out?

Abberation is loving incredible. I loved it. I would have given up on Ark by now if not for the really high quality of Abberation, and as a result I am pumped for the next xpac. Abberation doesn't have Scorched Earth-esque mechanics, but there are areas of the map that require a hazmat suit to travel in. My biggest issue with Abberation is that the areas that require the hazmat suits are not obvious, or at least they weren't at launch. I also played Abberation before they (maybe?) hosed up the glider and the climbing picks, so if I were to ever start a new game in Abberation I would make those two items as painless to get and use as possible. As in, infinite durability on both.

For reference, I thought Ragnorak was fun at first but eventually began showing its shitiness, and now I dislike that map.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For reference, I thought Ragnorak was fun at first but eventually began showing its shitiness, and now I dislike that map.
What were your problems with it? Just curious because I'd been planning on using it for the next time I pick this back up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpactVector posted:

What were your problems with it? Just curious because I'd been planning on using it for the next time I pick this back up.

Well for one the snow area requires insane freeze protection to even walk around in. The only way to get such protection is by farming desert drops which is un-engaging as gently caress. There's 5 desert drops, they aren't even hidden they are just kind of out in the open. You need to be level 80 to even open them.

Basically my big issue with it is there is nothing to find, if that makes any sense. The 'dungeons' were kind of a joke. I had fun gearing up but only because I thought there would be, like, poo poo out there to explore and it turned out there wasn't. Half the waterfalls don't even have anything behind them! The best thing you can hope to 'find' is a crystal deposit. What the map really needed was a reason to explore poo poo, like a ton more loot boxes hidden throughout the world. When I found my first desert drop I was really excited to explore and find all this crazy loot, same when when I found my first water drop. Then when I eventually explored for hours finding nothing, I looked at the map and saw how few there were. I was really disappointed.

I will say this, finding the wyvern area and coming up with a way to capture a wyvern egg was a lot of fun. If you do play Ragnorak make that your goal, not the stupid dungeons. Pretty much once you get a wyvern you have won the map.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can farm pelt by killing beavers. That's where I got all of mine.

drat that reminds me I just unlocked bunk beds.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The maps basically being empty setpieces for pvp was also my issue as someone running a small server.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

twistedmentat posted:

You can farm pelt by killing beavers. That's where I got all of mine.

drat that reminds me I just unlocked bunk beds.

I needed a full set of ascendant mega fur from drops to simply fly around the frozen area without immediately dying.

Jackard posted:

The maps basically being empty setpieces for pvp was also my issue as someone running a small server.

Well that's a much more precise way of putting it than I said. But to me Abberation didn't feel like that, I felt like I was actually like, exploring some alien-rear end poo poo. It's hard to explain. I had a blast just finding all the lil routes to get everywhere, because of how lethal everything is before you start taming high level stuff.

If I were to make a mod it would be to place loot all over Ragnorak. But then I couldn't enjoy the mod because I would know where all the loot was, so I won't ever make that mod.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 17, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't spend a lot of time in the frozen areas, just flew through them as fast as I could. But the furs i had did protect me, but I may have not gone where it was super cold.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Loaded up Aberration, and holy poo poo it looks cool already. Unfortunately, even in the "Easy" starting area I am surrounded by Scorpions and a giant basilisk, and termites. Soooooo..... Spending a lot of time unconscious/dead.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ahaha, I forgot about that. Yea the 'easy' starting area is like a noob trap or something. You may have noticed you can't even build there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neebs did a video called first and last day in Abberation, and it was brutal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Neebs did a video called first and last day in Abberation, and it was brutal.

Yeah, I was stoked to get two in one weekend after the hurricane! :woop:

That map looks crazy...probably check it out in god-mode solo. Extinction looks fun when we get tired of Ragnarok.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I keep trying to come over and play with you guys but can never connect to your server :smith: I'm done with official servers until something is done about meshing or the people abusing it. Its hard enough to compete as a solo player on small tribes without this bullshit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wouldnt count on it. Honestly I would have completely given up on this game expect I liked Abberation so much. Beyond that though, the way gear, stats and leveling is set up the PvP totally fuckin sucks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Me and a friend just knocked out Aberration over the last month or so on a private server which was fairly stock with everything sped up for convenience.

Alpha Rockwell was easier than expected, I think I'm jaded from Alpha Dragon though who I found to be a huge rear end in a top hat.

So, now we're done I've uploaded a bunch of bits into a Transmitter/Obelisk, do they last infinitely on unofficial/singleplayer? Are they associated with my account or a local file somewhere on my computer?

Don't plan on playing again for at least 6 month but would be nice to be able to keep my Alpha Aberrant levels and maybe my bright green Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Abberation is loving incredible. I loved it. I would have given up on Ark by now if not for the really high quality of Abberation, and as a result I am pumped for the next xpac. Abberation doesn't have Scorched Earth-esque mechanics, but there are areas of the map that require a hazmat suit to travel in. My biggest issue with Abberation is that the areas that require the hazmat suits are not obvious, or at least they weren't at launch. I also played Abberation before they (maybe?) hosed up the glider and the climbing picks, so if I were to ever start a new game in Abberation I would make those two items as painless to get and use as possible. As in, infinite durability on both.

Thanks for the Aberration rec! loving loving it, even if it is kicking my rear end. I'm not spoiling it for myself at all by like, searching for resource and dino info on the wiki, so it's actually like exploring fresh all over again.