Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whiskey in the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just got through Maximum Carnage and even though I knew Solo never shows up I still expected him to. He would have fit right in.

Him and Cardiac.

Edit: Immediate fan of Jarro right here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only reason Nightwatch is even involved in Maximum Carnage is because his creator crowbarred him into the event, seeing it as the character's big break.

Dude didn't even make it into the video game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason Nightwatch is even involved in Maximum Carnage is because his creator crowbarred him into the event, seeing it as the character's big break.

Nightwatch being in there was so good. He shows up out of nowhere, helps a little, flies around with Morbius, gets beat up by Carnage and friends, runs away, and then disappears forever.

He always seemed like the proto-Spawn.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Marvel's Beavis and Butt-head comic had a page of the two reading a Nightwatch comic and saying, "Hey, it's that Spoon guy!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Having your big break be an appearance in a awful crossover is really sad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

Marvel's Beavis and Butt-head comic had a page of the two reading a Nightwatch comic and saying, "Hey, it's that Spoon guy!"

Best thing Nightwatch was ever in. Wasn’t he fighting Prowler or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Nightwatch being in there was so good. He shows up out of nowhere, helps a little, flies around with Morbius, gets beat up by Carnage and friends, runs away, and then disappears forever.

He always seemed like the proto-Spawn.

He wasn't a proto spawn, he was a blatant knockoff. In fact his design had to be changed before his terrible comic went to print, because he looked too much like Spawn.

Monaghan posted:

Having your big break be an appearance in a awful crossover is really sad.

Awful but great-selling! But everything about Nightwatch is sad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
My jaw dropped when my wife asked me about Nightwatch for work because Sony wants to do a movie with him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Venom annual

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What's Logan's record against Pete again? 1 and 20?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Push El Burrito posted:

It is a recurring thing that others tend to look down on Spider-Man for having the audacity for ~not killing~ and ~telling jokes~, even though he is probably one of the more dedicated superheroes and could wipe the floor with half of them if he really wanted to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's part of the fun and charm, though. He's the premier hero of Marvel and one of the most popular characters in the world but in his own world he's underestimated and overshadowed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean the guy bills himself as the friendly neighborhood guy who helps with the street level crime but he’s also saved the world countless times and has the power set to hang with the premiere heroes even as a teenager

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hell yeah, Nightwatch! I always liked the exceptionally weird redesign Ron Wimberly did of him.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hell yeah, Nightwatch! I always liked the exceptionally weird redesign Ron Wimberly did of him.

What's this from?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thor 6

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I like this one bit in Astonishing X-Men where all the Avengers are trapped in a collective hypnosis thingy where they single handed save the world from the impending threat but Spider-Man breaks free because he himself can't believe he would be capable of doing it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I like this one bit in Astonishing X-Men where all the Avengers are trapped in a collective hypnosis thingy where they single handed save the world from the impending threat but Spider-Man breaks free because he himself can't believe he would be capable of doing it

I love this so much.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unlucky7 posted:

It is a recurring thing that others tend to look down on Spider-Man for having the audacity for ~not killing~ and ~telling jokes~, even though he is probably one of the more dedicated superheroes and could wipe the floor with half of them if he really wanted to.

The question of whether or not Logan can win against Peter aside, "Wow, you made Spider-man sad?" is extra hilarious given what always winds up happening to him in his own series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Keeshhound posted:

The question of whether or not Logan can win against Peter aside, "Wow, you made Spider-man sad?" is extra hilarious given what always winds up happening to him in his own series.

It takes one to know one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keeshhound posted:

Also, whatever Wolverine's actual feelings towards Spider-Man he's just goading Venom and since Brock is such a chump it's pretty easy.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
That Logan stabbed the Hulk isn't impressive.

It's that he stabbed the Hulk and survived being decked half a dozen states over.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Not really, dude survived and atom bomb.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Venom's run-in with the Hulk is way more impressive.

From Incredible Hulk vs. Venom.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I got curious, and will now share the worst trivia I learned today:

both Marvel and DC have a Dr. Bad Vibes

Marvel, obviously, from that Venom/Hulk teamup, and DC from its dumb COPS series (which got a cartoon, or... was based on a cartoon, I don't know, I'm not digging any harder)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I know Venom's tongue is always nuts but I feel like Hulk should look over at him and go "goddamn dude what is happening with your jaw?"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gavok posted:

So is there a precursor panel where Hulk and Venom agree to do the Hanz/Franz bit, or are we supposed to assume this is a "damaged minds think alike" scenario?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Keeshhound posted:

So is there a precursor panel where Hulk and Venom agree to do the Hanz/Franz bit, or are we supposed to assume this is a "damaged minds think alike" scenario?

The latter. Though I suppose "Peter David wrote this" is also an acceptable answer.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I got curious, and will now share the worst trivia I learned today:

both Marvel and DC have a Dr. Bad Vibes

Marvel, obviously, from that Venom/Hulk teamup, and DC from its dumb COPS series (which got a cartoon, or... was based on a cartoon, I don't know, I'm not digging any harder)

Don't call COPS dumb. That cartoon gave us Buttons McBoomBoom, who had one of the sweetest henchman designs ever.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

ecavalli posted:

What's this from?

She-Hulk #6.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

This comic should be nothing but people coming up to the Hulk and trying to beat him up for that dorky haircut.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gavok posted:

Is the same run where Venom fought Carnage through the internet?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Push El Burrito posted:

Every time I think about Wolverine getting literally swatted by Spider-Man in the original Secret Wars, I smile.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TwoPair posted:

I know Venom's tongue is always nuts but I feel like Hulk should look over at him and go "goddamn dude what is happening with your jaw?"

Eddie saw Fright Night at an impressionable age.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

If he actually closed his mouth, the lower jaw would stick out a good foot-and-a-half.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been re-reading some of the Infinity crossover series, and while I threw in the towel when I got to the terrible Infinity Crusade one, I noticed this unfortunate choice for panel cutouts:

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

If he actually closed his mouth, the lower jaw would stick out a good foot-and-a-half.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Zil posted:

Is the same run where Venom fought Carnage through the internet?

Sort of. It was a one-shot that you had to buy through Unicef, but it came out during Venom's 90's hero run where "Carnage is the star of a popular 16-bit video game AND NOW HE'S KILLING PEOPLE THROUGH THE INTERNET" happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You forgot to explain how, in order to have Venom have more COLLECTIBLE #1 ISSUEs, his entire 90s anti-hero run was technically a series of miniseries and one-shots, despite being published monthly.

Because the 90s were terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You forgot to explain how, in order to have Venom have more COLLECTIBLE #1 ISSUEs, his entire 90s anti-hero run was technically a series of miniseries and one-shots, despite being published monthly.

Because the 90s were terrible.

Oh you mean like that Marvel Rising comic that came out recently?

As a side note, half of the characters on the covers never showed up in the comic.