Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ygolonac posted:

Awwww, I was hoping for an Akula.

Akulas look cooler.

And are way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Some dudes getting chased by the police got into a Air Force Naval base and got murderized when they drove through a F-18 stabilizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC2BWWqdOc

Dilettante. fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 9, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dilettante. posted:

Some dudes getting chased by the police got into a Air Force base and got murderized when they drove through a F-18 stabilizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC2BWWqdOc

Naval base.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I wanted to watch something cool for a bit last night so I put on Hunt for the Red October. I got to wondering if Sean Connery knew Russian from the start or took lessons, since he was quite convincing, so I Wikipedia it. I did not figure out the answer, but I did learn about this cool little bit of trivia:

quote:

The film caused a minor sensation in the black projects submarine warfare technology community. In one scene, where USS Dallas is chasing Red October through the submarine canyon, the crew can be heard calling out that they have various "milligal anomalies". This essentially revealed the use of gravimetry as a method of silent navigation in US submarines. Thought to be a billion dollar black project, the development of a full-tensor gravity gradiometer by Bell Aerospace was a classified technology at the time. It was thought to be deployed on only a few Ohio-class submarines after it was first developed in 1973. Bell Aerospace later sold the technology to Bell Geospace for oil exploration purposes. The last Typhoon-class submarine was officially laid down in 1986, under the name TK-210, but according to sources was never finished and scrapped in 1990.

I read one of the references, turns out the gravimetric technology was declassified shortly after this little mishap in the film, which is quite telling.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I don't know why they would get ruffled. The Gravity gradiometry stuff was in the novel, which was published in '84.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MRC48B posted:

I don't know why they would get ruffled. The Gravity gradiometry stuff was in the novel, which was published in '84.

Yeah. Though I do remember my grandfather, a retired surface warfare officer (0-6), all hot and bothered by the book and movie spilling what he considered relatively unknown stuff. Though that meant something different in 1985-1990 before the internet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wanted to watch something cool for a bit last night so I put on Hunt for the Red October. I got to wondering if Sean Connery knew Russian from the start or took lessons, since he was quite convincing, so I Wikipedia it. I did not figure out the answer, but I did learn about this cool little bit of trivia:

I read one of the references, turns out the gravimetric technology was declassified shortly after this little mishap in the film, which is quite telling.

I watched this movie the other night. Dallas didn't chase Red October through the canyon at all so if anyone said anything in the movie about milligal anomalies, it's background chatter completely independent of context.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

McNally posted:

I watched this movie the other night. Dallas didn't chase Red October through the canyon at all so if anyone said anything in the movie about milligal anomalies, it's background chatter completely independent of context.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/02/the_hunt_for_red_october_movie_revealed_classified_information_about_u_s.html

From the article:

quote:

And at one point in the movie, a crew member trying to make contact with the Red October says that they have detected “milligal anomalies.” A milligal is “a unit of acceleration used extensively in the science of gravimetry.” So, for anyone who understands such things, this bit of recondite jargon appears to acknowledge the use of gravimetry by a U.S. submarine.

“Tellingly,” Hadley writes, the use of such technology on U.S. submarines “was declassified a few months after Red October was released.” Though whether the movie was really responsible seems unclear to me: The technology, by that point, was fairly old, and the Cold War was nearly over. But Tom Clancy and his movie may have finally pushed it to the surface.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I'm doing some searching and I can't find any reference to when in the movie it happens. Just that it supposedly does.

In my mind, that makes this story apocryphal. "At some point in the movie" is so meaningless and useless that it may as well be "My second cousin's best friend's girlfriend's uncle once heard..."

I can find a clip on YouTube of a fairly obscure film from the 70s that had that one funny line, but I can't find any solid reference to Hollywood revealing top secret information?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve seen that movie a dozen time and I’ve never picked up that line either.

They talk about seismic anomalies a lot though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just watched the movie while on a transatlantic flight. There's no such line. The book has a whole bit about the Red October and other soviet subs having sensitive gravitometers installed and using that data to compare against the data from their gravitometric surveys of the seafloor to precisely fix their positions underwater, but the movie dispenses with all that and glosses over it, substituting "hyperaccurate surveys of the underwater canyons."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve seen that movie a dozen time and I’ve never picked up that line either.

They talk about seismic anomalies a lot though.

And whales humping

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If it's a throwaway background line it's something that could've been changed after the theatrical release.

Sometime around 1960 Revell released a plastic model kit of the Polaris submarine. It was so accurate the Navy forced them to change some details that were actually classified. In 1961 Admiral Rickover made some (very useful to Revell's PR department) comments like, "If I were a Russian, I would be most grateful to the United States for its generosity in supplying such information for $2.98.”

Rickover was overstating things, since the model's design was based on open-source photography from companies like Time Life which obviously shouldn't have been publishing (or taking) pictures in certain spaces, but the story is still amusing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

And whales humping

Including one waaay the hell out at Pearl

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Apologies for the lovely quality photo, but this just flew over my house.

Heard the drone while I was working in my home office, went bolting outside as soon as I recognized what it was. It loving owned.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Apologies for the lovely quality photo, but this just flew over my house.

Heard the drone while I was working in my home office, went bolting outside as soon as I recognized what it was. It loving owned.

tell me what it’s like living in late 1944 France

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What are the fighters? The others are like, a couple of C-47s and a B-25 or something?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Crossposting from GBS

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What are the fighters? The others are like, a couple of C-47s and a B-25 or something?
The twin-engine in front of the two C47's looks like a Twin Beech.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Looked like some P-51's with some T-6 trainers and then a C-47, a Lockheed Electra and a DC-8.

Not gonna lie, the droning noise was loving rad as hell.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

Crossposting from GBS

That is way too loving disturbing first thing in the morning.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Looked like some P-51's with some T-6 trainers and then a C-47, a Lockheed Electra and a DC-8.

Not gonna lie, the droning noise was loving rad as hell.

I live just down the road from RAF Coningsby where the Battle of Britain memorial flight is based and during the summer just about every weekend you'll hear the drone of multiple Merlins.

The village I live in is tiny but every year at the village fete we get a visit by one of the planes. This year it was a Hurricane that buzzed about for a few minutes which was cool but the year before they had a Lancaster basically came right down the high street at almost tree top height, which had to be witnessed to be believed. :fap:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Nothing sounds like those engines, it's like the sound of Iroquois compared to new helicopters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-45884501/peter-jackson-lord-of-rings-director-s-ww1-movie-they-shall-not-grow-old-opens

This looks like it'll be dope, Peter Jackson loves him some historical warfare. Also shoutout to the vet in the trailer explaining that they all looked like tramps, nobody polished poo poo and they just wore whatever the hell they wanted.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I want to see that pretty badly, it looks amazing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I have a book of interviews with a bunch of kiwi WWI vets and it's the most insanely dark and depressing thing i've ever read. Dudes talking about seeing wounded friends cut their own throats and digging through rotting corpses and poo poo its loving unreal.

And then there's poo poo like the Aussies starting a riot in a brothel in Cairo over prices :haw:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dan Carlins 5 part podcast on WWI was pretty good at really emphasizing the magnitude / how different it all was from anything before or since.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That Works posted:

Dan Carlins 5 part podcast on WWI was pretty good at really emphasizing the magnitude / how different it all was from anything before or since.

I was about to say, Blueprint for Armageddon has some rather, uh, colorful descriptions of how bad it could get on the frontlines in WW1. Some of that stuff makes your blood curdle. I don't doubt those Kiwi vets have seen some loving grim poo poo go down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dan Carlin explaining what a trip to take a poo poo was like in the trenches was :stonklol:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that part, but shooting your friend so they don't have to drown in the mud at passchendaele was :stare:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvX9j2eMa48

did this cartoon frighten anyone else as a kid? the dude sinking into the mud pops into my dreams once a year

edit https://vimeo.com/194223614

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 18, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That part in Blueprint for Armageddon when Dan is talking about the gallows humor in the trenches where they'd having working parties digging up parts of their friends. "Bit of Bill! Another bit of Bill! Here's Bill's ugly head, Hi Bill!" Or the guy who died with his hand sticking up that everyone would shake as they passed by.

How do you not go completely batshit insane in a place like that? Would any of us not?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You don’t and they did and then got promptly ignored when they went home.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You don’t and they did and then got promptly ignored when they went home.

VA. VA never changes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If no one's seen it this movie was actually quite good IMO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(1997_film)

True story about a couple of soldiers convalescing back in England in a mental hospital. Siegfried Sassoon was a heavily decorated soldier and poet who spoke out against the war in a published editorial and was sent to the hospital to straighten out. It goes into his interactions with the staff and how he views them as complicit in barely patching up broken men and sending them to die, etc. Couple of really good performances in it and it's worth a look if you are interested in WWI poetry especially.

And yeah Carlin's description of Passchendale was just horrible.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.facebook.com/militaryleak/videos/486298948548615/

There's something about those missiles that shoot up then a little jet shoots them sideways that always turns me on just a little.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sky penis flies again.

https://twitter.com/AircraftSpots/status/1054807774842875904?s=20

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We train young men to drop hellfires on weddings, but their commanders won't let them write dongs in the sky because it's obscene!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

someone needs to have a word with @aircraftspots about being a loving narc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/flynavy/status/1054844077978509312
Isn't the Marine Corps part of the Navy?