Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Black belts don't have anything to prove rolling with a white belt. They shouldn't smash you and it will probably be a fun and informative roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I roll with a few black belts at my gym - one is an instructor and the other two just show up for classes and annihilations.

The instructor is awesome to roll with because it's basically just a free private for five mins - I usually ask questions about setups I notice or defenses where I get subbed by the same thing five times in a row.

The other two I just try to survive as long as possible as they are not interested in conversation and its non stop smash for the whole round. I judge the success of those rolls by how in frequently I tap and how many dick moves they pull on me throughout the roll.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I love rolling with the Brown and Black Belts. At any one point in my gym we may have up to 5 black and brown belts on the mat plus our instructor. Its always informational.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean I guess I could give it a shot I just have never seen the black belts roll with white belts, and usually when my instructor rolls its with a purple or higher, or someone who is preparing for a tournament/fight

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I for one don't feel like I get much out of rolling with higher belts. Its a good thing to do once in a while to remind you how good they are, but I don't retain much of the details unless they're actively teaching them to me, in which case it isn't really rolling anymore.

Having a fellow blue just barely sweep me I find gives me a better idea of the technique than a black, who makes me feel like I swept myself 4 moves back and just took my time falling over.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I try not to murder white/blue/purple belts but sometimes they just dive headfirst into defeat Chael style

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The multi-degree black belt I roll with often works as if he's presenting problems on a timer - he'll sit somewhere for 5-6 seconds before making any move.

The fresh shiny new black belt just loving annihilates me, but he does me the courtesy of stopping me and pointing it out if I'm repeatedly making some unforced error.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

butros posted:

I roll with a few black belts at my gym - one is an instructor and the other two just show up for classes and annihilations.

Uh, hi. I’m here for the annihilation?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

All the black belts I have ever rolled with have basically matched pace with me, given me time to work out of a problem and then put me into another, worse, situation until they finally submit me. Occasionally they'll put on crushing pressure and just destroy me but most of the time it's a nice roll where I'm constantly trying to solve a problem that keeps getting harder and harder until I give up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I set my goal for this week to go every day just to see if my conditioning holds up.

So far so good

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Whenever I roll with black belts they're super chill. Part of that is because I also know how to roll chill. I think what some less experienced people here are experiencing as "getting smashed" is really just higher belts reacting to them not yet having developed the skill of rolling light and relaxed.

I feel like brown belts tend to go way harder than purple belts, for some reason.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 17, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I feel like brown belts tend to go way harder than purple belts, for some reason.

I feel that the most smashy rolls tend to be brand new black belts and four stripe brown belts. Everyone else tends to be chill so long as you are chill.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how dickish is it to chickenwing someone to open up an elbow (e.g. you have mount, and you put your weight into their t-rexed arm such that their wrist is being pushed into their shoulder and their elbow feels like it's going to explode)?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how dickish is it to chickenwing someone to open up an elbow (e.g. you have mount, and you put your weight into their t-rexed arm such that their wrist is being pushed into their shoulder and their elbow feels like it's going to explode)?

Like a Kimura or Americana? Either way it isn't much different than those things.

Also, this is page 420 and noone has mentioned Eddie Bravo so here we are.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

As if for americana. Instead of trying to push the arm up or to the side you just push the arm into itself.

I did it to someone tonight and he looked at me as if I had just done something really dickish :(

I also sometimes use my hip to do it to people who are trying to get a frame underneath my hips for side control.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So it's like a wrist lock?

As someone with bad wrists, I'd say pretty dickish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mariooncrack posted:

So it's like a wrist lock?

As someone with bad wrists, I'd say pretty dickish.

Pressure is in the elbow.

gently caress I'll see if I can find a video or something.

e. apparently some people just call the americana a "chicken wing," which is making this much more difficult.

Closest thing I could find quickly - instead of doing the thing where he leans with his elbow, I just lock out my arms and drop my body weight into the arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqWGE4YgT8&t=37s

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean if you aren't doing it 100% it seems fine

Putting pressure on a joint to open up options has never been dickish to me.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

e. apparently some people just call the americana a "chicken wing," which is making this much more difficult.

Closest thing I could find quickly - instead of doing the thing where he leans with his elbow, I just lock out my arms and drop my body weight into the arm:

Nothing wrong with that.

On the rolling with higher belts conversation, I always felt that the toughest rolls were from one belt ahead. Rolling with blues at white belt, purples at blue, and browns at purple. I feel like bigger gaps in rank result in a much more relaxed roll. Black belts take it easy on me and play nice. It's brown belts that kick my rear end without sympathy. From my own perspective, I basically never go 100%, but I'll use my full set of moves on blue belts and usually skip the good stuff with white belts.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

CommonShore posted:

If I remember my high school physiology terminology correctly, you're describing a hyperflexion of the elbow. One of my arms is much more sensitive to it than the other, but despite that, I always forget about it until I'm trying to frame from bottom side control and get put in a very specific configuration, and then the pain goes from 0 to 60 almost instantaneously. So you're describing something that:
1) a lot of people might not even realize is possible
2) is highly variable and might not even work at all
3) has a very low margin of error as far as safety goes if it does work
I *love* the mão de vaca/Jacare wristlock but no longer attempt it from mount for similar reasons.

I saw something similar to the "crush their forearm down with your elbow" detail in that video at a seminar recently, but it was more focused on digging under and prying the arm away instead of just down, which sounds like what you ultimately want anyway.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Got to roll with my old coach from 4-5 years ago today. He complimented my improved grappling but in particular he complimented my poker face? He said I’ve developed the ability to look bored and unimpressed no matter how much danger I’m in. I’m extremely proud of this

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
poker face is like 80% of sub defense

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
True

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dave Grool posted:

This.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I set my goal for this week to go every day just to see if my conditioning holds up.

So far so good

I do this once a month. I go to a carlson lineage gym so we train harder than most other gyms

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Also I've been dreaming about giving kimuras and americanas recently. And thinking about doing it from the bottom which seems badass

CommonShore posted:

That seems dickish to me. If he's not giving you the arm, I would just look for a choke or try to get him to turn over. But also depends on if the roll was low intensity or not.

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 17, 2018

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Y'all think that is rude? Am I missing something he's just applying pressure to the guys arm at a strong angle? I've learned or seen that in 3 or 4 different gyms none of which were hyper competitive.

My issue with it is that it doesn't seem to work too well as just a press I prefer the press plus scoop from side to isolate the limb better.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 17, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I just don't get in what world that method of isolating the arm is considered a dick move. You're trying to get the guys arm to a place where you can dislocate his shoulder, which is something I'm assuming we're all cool with, so I don't get why someone would make the argument that the way that you are getting to the position where you can dislocate the shoulder is too dickish?

This is kind of the point I was trying to get to when I asked what people thought about that Vagner comment about jiu jitsu getting soft (vs. is BJJ street effective) a few days ago. At the end of the day you're trying to strangle someone unconscious or break / dislocate their limbs. I don't necessarily think it's worthwhile trying to get someone to pain tap if there's not a legit choke / strangle (e.g. crossfacing, shin on throat or whatever) but to say that more brutal technique doesn't have a place, particularly in forcing a reaction which opens an opponent up for a sub, isn't something I agree with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Y'all think that is rude? Am I missing something he's just applying pressure to the guys arm at a strong angle? I've learned or seen that in 3 or 4 different gyms none of which were hyper competitive.

My issue with it is that it doesn't seem to work too well as just a press I prefer the press plus scoop from side to isolate the limb better.

It's the hyperflexion into the elbow. It'll open up really strong people quite easily when they're keeping the arms close. I ask because sometimes when I do it to people - even otherwise tough grapplers - they scowl at me as if I'm grinding my shin on their balls or putting my chin in their eye. I've done it for a while but I ask now because of how someone reacted to it last night.

poo poo you can see how it feels right now - go face the wall, t-rex your arm in and pin your elbow against your ribs, and lean your wrist into the wall such that the back of the hand is coming towards your shoulder. You'll feel it in your elbow and tendons.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Dave Grool posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is that Robson?

I had a pretty scary almost injury last night. I was in turtle and the guy was trying to armbar me. He has the arm isolated and tried to roll over my back to finish it. However, he put the center of momentum against my bicep instead of against my shoulders/back. So, instead of being forced to roll over, my body was still firmly turtled and he just managed to yank my arm backwards with his entire body weight. Good thing I am flexible I guess.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 17, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is that Robson?

Yup!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros posted:

I just don't get in what world that method of isolating the arm is considered a dick move. You're trying to get the guys arm to a place where you can dislocate his shoulder, which is something I'm assuming we're all cool with, so I don't get why someone would make the argument that the way that you are getting to the position where you can dislocate the shoulder is too dickish?

This is kind of the point I was trying to get to when I asked what people thought about that Vagner comment about jiu jitsu getting soft (vs. is BJJ street effective) a few days ago. At the end of the day you're trying to strangle someone unconscious or break / dislocate their limbs. I don't necessarily think it's worthwhile trying to get someone to pain tap if there's not a legit choke / strangle (e.g. crossfacing, shin on throat or whatever) but to say that more brutal technique doesn't have a place, particularly in forcing a reaction which opens an opponent up for a sub, isn't something I agree with.

Idk it seems like a jerk thing to do. Like I said, there are other ways to get an arm that don't inflict pain. Yeah you're trying to kill each other but not really, a good partner stops when the other taps and usually slowly applies the submission to prevent injury. I'm not sure if we need jerks in BJJ for it to make it less soft. I think it's more with certain gym cultures handing out belts like candy, based on a time criteria rather than actual skill (I'm looking at you Gracie Barra).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

It's the hyperflexion into the elbow. It'll open up really strong people quite easily when they're keeping the arms close. I ask because sometimes when I do it to people - even otherwise tough grapplers - they scowl at me as if I'm grinding my shin on their balls or putting my chin in their eye. I've done it for a while but I ask now because of how someone reacted to it last night.

poo poo you can see how it feels right now - go face the wall, t-rex your arm in and pin your elbow against your ribs, and lean your wrist into the wall such that the back of the hand is coming towards your shoulder. You'll feel it in your elbow and tendons.

I don't think its dickish at all. BJJ is a combat sport not a, err, nice person... hug dance.

e: its not dickish because you're not hurting someone, you're basically telling someone that you're going to hurt them if they don't react. If you slam all your weight on the arm with the intention to hurt them, then yeah that's dickish. Its like a sub-- apply pressure, giving enough room for your opponent to react before breaking something.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 17, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

Idk it seems like a jerk thing to do. Like I said, there are other ways to get an arm that don't inflict pain. Yeah you're trying to kill each other but not really, a good partner stops when the other taps and usually slowly applies the submission to prevent injury. I'm not sure if we need jerks in BJJ for it to make it less soft. I think it's more with certain gym cultures handing out belts like candy, based on a time criteria rather than actual skill (I'm looking at you Gracie Barra).

Pain compliance is a thing. I think that as far as i'm concerned, it should be part of what we do or you start seeing guys doing weird poo poo like pencil guard and getting away with it in the gym because people are kind of accepting it and don't want to look like a dick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

I do this once a month. I go to a carlson lineage gym so we train harder than most other gyms

spb posted:

I'm not sure if we need jerks in BJJ for it to make it less soft. I think it's more with certain gym cultures handing out belts like candy, based on a time criteria rather than actual skill (I'm looking at you Gracie Barra).

No offense man, but from one white belt to another, you seem to be talking a lot of poo poo on other programs when you probably don't really have the perspective for it yet.

As for using pain in BJJ, I cannot see how you can avoid it. Teaching someone to apply a good tight side control without making it loving suck for the guy underneath is just teaching a weak side control. Its amazing to learn what a little digging with your shoulder can do to limit your opponent.

like Roland said

Count Roland posted:

e: its not dickish because you're not hurting someone, you're basically telling someone that you're going to hurt them if they don't react. If you slam all your weight on the arm with the intention to hurt them, then yeah that's dickish. Its like a sub-- apply pressure, giving enough room for your opponent to react before breaking something.

Use pain to control, not to injure. If you can make someone uncomfortable enough that they open themselves up, that is absolutely not a dick move.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 17, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its amazing to learn what a little digging with your shoulder can do to limit your opponent.

Or head. We use our shoulders a lot from side control to control your opponents head, but dont rule out your head doing the same from positions like mount. I have a nice little lapel choke that I setup by using my head to block what my opponent sees when Im setting up for my choke from mount. Being sneaky is the key :parrot:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Odddzy posted:

Pain compliance is a thing. I think that as far as i'm concerned, it should be part of what we do or you start seeing guys doing weird poo poo like pencil guard and getting away with it in the gym because people are kind of accepting it and don't want to look like a dick.

what the hell is pencil guard

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Or head. We use our shoulders a lot from side control to control your opponents head, but dont rule out your head doing the same from positions like mount. I have a nice little lapel choke that I setup by using my head to block what my opponent sees when Im setting up for my choke from mount. Being sneaky is the key :parrot:

no joke the other day a blue belt put me in such a tight side control I had to tap. It was practically like an ezekiel choke or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

what the hell is pencil guard

I imagine it's similar to coffin guard.