Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks for the opinions. Given that everyone who listened to it seems to have stopped, I'm going to put it into the 'maybe later' pile. I'm a little tempted to skip around and just check in on the interesting parts, but I guess I basically just got that with 12 Byzantine Rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am listening to it and it’s my personal favorite.

He makes analogies that are relevant and make sense which was a breath of fresh air after Carlin’s poo poo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get the criticisms of it being too slow. It's fair given how byzantize :dadjoke: some of the issues Rome faces during its medieval period.

However, it's definitely worth listening to.

If you're into a narrative, perhaps wait until the podcast is finished up (or nearly so). Then you can binge through those and skip the end of the century roundups he does.

(Personally, I find the end of the century roundups fascinating if only just to see how much this society changed over time. Hearing about how dense and crazy Constantinople is during Justinian's time versus later centuries when just massive parts of it are empty is amazing.)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, I get the criticisms of it being too slow. It's fair given how byzantize :dadjoke: some of the issues Rome faces during its medieval period.

However, it's definitely worth listening to.

If you're into a narrative, perhaps wait until the podcast is finished up (or nearly so). Then you can binge through those and skip the end of the century roundups he does.

(Personally, I find the end of the century roundups fascinating if only just to see how much this society changed over time. Hearing about how dense and crazy Constantinople is during Justinian's time versus later centuries when just massive parts of it are empty is amazing.)

Stuff like the end of century roundups are actually the main reason I'm interested, because I feel like that's what History of Rome was missing when it turned into the Roman Emperors Podcast. He paused for a bit to talk about how Diocletian's reforms affected people and paved the way for serfdom, but one big thing he didn't talk much about was how population migrations affected the people already living in the areas the Romans lost effective control over. It sounds like Robin Pierson's actually planning on going back and doing those for History of Rome when he finishes this one, so I guess I have that to look forward to if I'm still alive by then. When I do jump in on this, I'll probably try to find natural end points (like Heraclius) to stop on for a while instead of rushing to hit the content wall.

On a tangentially related note, Mike Duncan was asked during a twitter AMA yesterday what revolution before the beginning of the Revolutions podcast he feels like he missed, and he answered with Dutch Independence. As was pointed out in the comments there, the Almost Forgotten podcast just did a season on that, so I might check that out in preparation for Revolutions and thought some of you might be interested in that too:

https://t.co/lnaU8hYBQS

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 17, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's gonna be waiting decades then. Things are gonna slow way the hell down once the crusaders enter the picture

Actually I'd recommend the podcast highly. It can be slow but I don't think it's over drawn out and Pierson goes into a lot of very interesting info that other podcasters would've skipped

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I love it. Robin is one of the best historical podcast hosts IMO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though one thing I don’t like about HOB is his bonus episodes tend to try and put background noises for immersion or something but they are just distracting.

Though yeah the dude is loving thorough not only with Byzantium but also their neighbors which lets you know exactly what is happening.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though one thing I don’t like about HOB is his bonus episodes tend to try and put background noises for immersion or something but they are just distracting.

This is what made me bounce hard off Carlin’s earlier HH episodes. I think the background sound effects bothered me more than the mood music though. He’s already a descriptive storyteller. No need to add extra fluff when his manner of speaking is colorful enough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

History of Byzantium is real good. He is taking his time but I don't see that as a problem, there's a lot more detail than History of Rome had and I don't know why you'd be the sort of person listening to a multi-hundred episode history podcast but also not want depth and detail.

E: Also if you want to listen through to a natural pause point, right now would be a good time because he's still wrapping up 1025, at the end of Basil II. He's going to transition into the Turks and the Normans making their big arrival soon enough and start the next stage.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 17, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fall of rome/ tides of history is terrible about the sound effects. I love the podcast but all the horse clopping and sword noises drives me insane

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Fall of rome/ tides of history is terrible about the sound effects. I love the podcast but all the horse clopping and sword noises drives me insane

I ranted about this earlier, I agree completely.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
every time i try something from parcast i run into a wall of 0 charisma

what the gently caress is wrong with literally everyone on that network

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I had to stop listening when he started acting out his meal delivery ads instead of just reading the copy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

They're all dosed with thorazine before each recording.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Its like all their hosts were grown in a vat from the DNA of a thousand 90s morning radio news hosts.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The serial killer one is particularly egregious because I remember them being horrible at segueing into ads

*said in same deadpan as the presentation* Wow that's horrible about all that rape anyhow you know what rapes your time? Planning meals every night. Don't have your time serially killed every night by signing up for blue apron

It would be funny if they had someone like Gary from the dollop reacting to the absurdity of it but they never do

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The serial killer one is particularly egregious because I remember them being horrible at segueing into ads

*said in same deadpan as the presentation* Wow that's horrible about all that rape anyhow you know what rapes your time? Planning meals every night. Don't have your time serially killed every night by signing up for blue apron

It would be funny if they had someone like Gary from the dollop reacting to the absurdity of it but they never do

"And thats how he brutally raped, tortured and murdered her.
And now a word from our sponsor, Adam and Eve.com"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yikes. I don't mind dumb ad pitches, but maybe extreme cases of murder and etc isn't the best association for a product.

I'm up to the part in Revolutions where Mike is hawking his book, and he's forceful and amusing enough to never really get on my nerves. "Just buy it, it's really good, you'll like it, and I'll get to be a New York Times best seller! It's a win-win for both of us."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

"And thats how he brutally raped, tortured and murdered her.
And now a word from our sponsor, Adam and Eve.com"

At least whenever similar bad timing happens on Last Podcast On The Left, they have the decency to say "today's sponsor is, but perhaps shouldn't be, AdamAndEve.com"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Appoda posted:

I'm up to the part in Revolutions where Mike is hawking his book, and he's forceful and amusing enough to never really get on my nerves. "Just buy it, it's really good, you'll like it, and I'll get to be a New York Times best seller! It's a win-win for both of us."

I didn't mind that either since he was having fun with it and deserves the success.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AceOfFlames posted:

At least whenever similar bad timing happens on Last Podcast On The Left, they have the decency to say "today's sponsor is, but perhaps shouldn't be, AdamAndEve.com"

That was the podcast I was referencing

Like, it's probably not a great time to talk about sextoys, you guys

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The weird-as-poo poo Parcast shows made a lot more sense when I found out that the guy who founded the network came from a radio family and started it to get in on those sweet, sweet podcasting dollars because he heard that was a thing you could do. They're podcasts made by a guy who has a vague understanding of what podcasts are without any actual enthusiasm. "What do podcast listeners like? True crime, and hosts that banter? Yeah, I can probably hire people who can do that."

The no-chemistry, scripted faux-banter bugged me, but I think the thing that really made me go, "actually, nah" was that they tried to do those true crime re-enactments you get on TV, but in audio.

Here's the article I found when I was trying to figure out what the gently caress was up with these weird shows, if anyone else is interested.

quote:

Cutler, 26, grew up in a "radio household." His dad, Ron, who serves as the network's creative director, is a former radio executive who created, among other things, a company that produced comedy content that was picked up by most of the popular drive-time morning shows in the '90s. The elder Cutler emerged from retirement to work with his son now that, as the younger Cutler puts it, podcasting is "finally a viable business."

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't stand banter in my podcasts, even the supposedly good stuff is inane.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 27, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, cool, all the poo poo I hated about listening to the radio, now in podcast form!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Laterite posted:

Yeah, cool, all the poo poo I hated about listening to the radio, now in podcast form!

All the hits of the 70s, 80s, and 90s, brought to you by squarespace!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like how I can type "those clowns" into google and this is the first result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3W1BiUjp0

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Man, that Radio War Nerd episode on Bolsinaro is really a load of barf. Makes me dread the outcome of the election today, I don't have a lot of hope though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Count Roland posted:

The key is to lean into how inane it is, cum town style

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

Drives me nuts too. Banter is good if someone is playing the layman asking questions for the listener, but it usually just devolves to dick jokes or something.

Most likely an impossible ask, but are there any podcasts right now that teach useful/marketable skills or at least give a crash course survey on certain fields?

Basically, the free equivalent of the Great Courses series on Audible.

Also, what are your guys' feelings on the Caliphate podcast series by New York Times? I finished it recently and enjoyed it a bunch. Gives an interesting overview of ISIS, including interviews with dudes who joined despite being raised in stable, middle income western families. Lots of people interviewed and first hand accounts. The pacing was really good too. Minimal fluff.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

buglord posted:

Also, what are your guys' feelings on the Caliphate podcast series by New York Times? I finished it recently and enjoyed it a bunch.

I really liked it and it was wild listening to it air while the Canadian news was raising it real time.

I just didn’t like they created a separate podcast then aired it again on the daily instead of just interviewing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any educational podcasts on the topics of:
-Heavy industry
-Manufacturing
-Energy production
-Mining
-Factories, chemical plants, ports, etc.

Basically big complicated operations involving lots of heavy machinery. Contemporary or historical. A series would be great but one-off episodes would be cool too. I can't find anything even in the ballpark.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Man, that Radio War Nerd episode on Bolsinaro is really a load of barf. Makes me dread the outcome of the election today, I don't have a lot of hope though.

Honestly, I thought the episode sucked. Interesting topic but the interviewee was a completely biased partisan of the Workers Party, I've nothing against him supporting whichever party he wants, but he was either not interested or not capable of giving an honest explaination for what has motivated 60% of the population to support such a character when the record of the Workers Party is so great. "Brainwashing" and "Whatsup" did it, apparantly... the 60000 murders per year not mentioned as factor why people may turn to politican promising a ruthless crack-down on crime. He talked about Haddad as if he was a great success as mayor of Sao Paulo- doesnt mention that Haddad was widely hated, left office with a 16% approval rating, and was completely crushed in his home city by Bolsinaro in the general election. He suggests the figure of 500 dead and disappeared in the 20 years of military rule is some racist conspiracy to hide the real number- the 500 figure came from a commision the Worker's Party organised. When asked why most women support Bolsinaro despite the rude things he has said, the interviewee mocked the idea of asking women why- "you wouldnt ask women in 1930's Germany why they supported Hitler". Well, I kind of did want to know what really motivated women to support Bolsinaro so I conclude that the interview sucked balls. I didnt learn anything.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Real Quaid posted:

When asked why most women support Bolsinaro despite the rude things he has said, the interviewee mocked the idea of asking women why- "you wouldnt ask women in 1930's Germany why they supported Hitler". Well, I kind of did want to know what really motivated women to support Bolsinaro so I conclude that the interview sucked balls. I didnt learn anything.

I don't think that is some deep mystery. Just look at the Philippines. Middle class women are perfectly willing to ignore misogynist statements if they believe a politician will "solve crime" AKA re-implement the bloody code AKA kill all criminals. It's just a fact of life that many people believe that the Punisher is the best and fastest solution to crime.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

golden bubble posted:

I don't think that is some deep mystery. Just look at the Philippines. Middle class women are perfectly willing to ignore misogynist statements if they believe a politician will "solve crime" AKA re-implement the bloody code AKA kill all criminals. It's just a fact of life that many people believe that the Punisher is the best and fastest solution to crime.

See, I had a completely different assumption than you (fear of retributatuve make violence) so I think it actually is a pretty interesting question.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

golden bubble posted:

I'd guess that was approximately right too, but would have expected to hear this theory at least discussed in the interview to find out more. But would say forget the "Middle Class" qualifier- you cant win elections in Brazil by appealing to only the rich since the vast majority are poor, it is the poor who are the primary victims of crime and who have to rely entirely on the state to keep them safe (no walled compounds or hired guards for them), and middle class liberals tend to be more tender-hearted towards criminals than those who actually have to live in the same slums as the muggers and rapists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The people who go on about murders and rapists very very rarely actually have to deal with it.

The hard on crime fear of crime is basically solely the area of suburbs or whatever your countries equivalent is

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The Real Quaid posted:

Honestly, I thought the episode sucked. Interesting topic but the interviewee was a completely biased partisan of the Workers Party, I've nothing against him supporting whichever party he wants, but he was either not interested or not capable of giving an honest explaination for what has motivated 60% of the population to support such a character when the record of the Workers Party is so great. "Brainwashing" and "Whatsup" did it, apparantly... the 60000 murders per year not mentioned as factor why people may turn to politican promising a ruthless crack-down on crime. He talked about Haddad as if he was a great success as mayor of Sao Paulo- doesnt mention that Haddad was widely hated, left office with a 16% approval rating, and was completely crushed in his home city by Bolsinaro in the general election. He suggests the figure of 500 dead and disappeared in the 20 years of military rule is some racist conspiracy to hide the real number- the 500 figure came from a commision the Worker's Party organised. When asked why most women support Bolsinaro despite the rude things he has said, the interviewee mocked the idea of asking women why- "you wouldnt ask women in 1930's Germany why they supported Hitler". Well, I kind of did want to know what really motivated women to support Bolsinaro so I conclude that the interview sucked balls. I didnt learn anything.

Yeah, I talked about it with someone else, and also got feedback that it might be biased. That being said, I thought it did an ok job roughly outlining brazilian society and politics, as well as giving a short intro to the dictatorship years. As with everything concerning history and politics, you probably want to get multiple perspectives before coming to a conclusion. As far as I'm concerned, I found it intriguing enough to learn more about it, and that's a pretty good outcome for a podcast imo.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The people who go on about murders and rapists very very rarely actually have to deal with it.

The hard on crime fear of crime is basically solely the area of suburbs or whatever your countries equivalent is

It is true that murder is a very rare crime in most of the world, so most people with a loud opinion on the topic haven't got direct experience of dealing with it, but it is not at all true that it is the rich that favour 'hard on crime' policies. For example, in the UK support for return of the death penalty is far higher in the working class (52% in favour, 28% against in a 2014 poll) than in the middle & upper classes (39% vs 47% against).

mike12345 posted:

Yeah, I talked about it with someone else, and also got feedback that it might be biased. That being said, I thought it did an ok job roughly outlining brazilian society and politics, as well as giving a short intro to the dictatorship years. As with everything concerning history and politics, you probably want to get multiple perspectives before coming to a conclusion. As far as I'm concerned, I found it intriguing enough to learn more about it, and that's a pretty good outcome for a podcast imo.

Yeah definitely, agreed. I'm going to try and read more about Brazilian history because of the episode, too.

The Real Quaid fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 2, 2018

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Not saying you're wrong, but I do think that 'hard on crime' and 'supporting the death penalty' are not necessarily the same thing. At least in that (in people's minds anyway) the former refers to muggers and pick-pockets, the latter to murderers and child-rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I dunno man, take a look at the comments section of your local news some time. If it's anything like mine, there'll be people calling for corporal and capital sentences for the most minor of crimes.

Usually by the same people who have Very Strong Opinions about sharia law