Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

I asked yesterday but I’m gonna ask again today...with pictures. It was said to be a database error, but it’s like, two days after now and poo poo.

So, anyway, on Sept 28 I ordered a SBSS watch through AT&T and was given an expected delivery date of Nov 5 - 12.

However, if I browse AT&T for the same watch, the estimate is late Oct.

So like, what the hell.

Order it again and then return the one delivered in November.

Apple and ATT are notoriously conservative with their delivery estimates. If you miss the initial pre order batch (whether it be a phone or a watch) they usually give you some date 4 - 6 weeks out then actually deliver in 2 - 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

ExCruceLeo posted:

Does anyone have issues with the wallet syncing boarding passes for flights? I would expect as soon as I add the boarding pass to my wallet on the phone it would show up on the watch. I have to remove and re add for it to show up and even that isn’t consistent. Everything else syncs fine.

Re pair worked. This has happened twice in the 2 weeks I’ve had the watch. I guess I’ll take it in if it happens again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm looking for a sports band in a color that I can't find. I'm not sure if it's been discontinued or just never made. I'm looking at off-brand ones instead. Are there any recommended brands or manufacturers for generic bands?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Check Amazon and look at the reviews. If it's under four stars then it may fall apart in a month or two.

Speaking of bands, I didn't realize Apple was releasing new bands with 44/40mm packaging. Do these bands differ in any way from the old sizes? I know the old bands are compatible with the S4, but I'm curious if this is anything more than just updated branding since there's no 42/38mm prominently displayed on the packaging.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Check Amazon and look at the reviews. If it's under four stars then it may fall apart in a month or two.

Speaking of bands, I didn't realize Apple was releasing new bands with 44/40mm packaging. Do these bands differ in any way from the old sizes? I know the old bands are compatible with the S4, but I'm curious if this is anything more than just updated branding since there's no 42/38mm prominently displayed on the packaging.

There was a post on Reddit awhile ago how the old bands aren't flush with the S4, but work all the same. Might just be that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah they work done on the old ones - just picked up a black 40mm sports band for my partner's 38mm S3 and it fits fine. Interestingly it's quite a different colour to the black band from my S2, much lighter.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dissss posted:

Yeah they work done on the old ones - just picked up a black 40mm sports band for my partner's 38mm S3 and it fits fine. Interestingly it's quite a different colour to the black band from my S2, much lighter.

So it’s grey?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have an old black band and one of the new ones (it came with my S4). They both look the same.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The Space Black Stainless Steel has a new black sports band that is lighter than the old black sports band. It’s still pretty much black though.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I want the Nike Black reflective one, but they only come with a watch right now. :argh:

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Dear Dark Sky,
Thank you for your insanely accurate weather forecasts. Would you kindly fix your complication to a usable state?

With love,
EpicNemesis

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EpicNemesis posted:

Dear Dark Sky,
Thank you for your insanely accurate weather forecasts. Would you kindly fix your complication to a usable state?

With love,
EpicNemesis

Not empty quoting because drat wtf mine still isn’t working and I just ended up disabling it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
FWIW the stock weather complication keeps loving up too. Sometimes switching between watch faces or tapping the complication fixes it but not always.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

FWIW the stock weather complication keeps loving up too. Sometimes switching between watch faces or tapping the complication fixes it but not always.

I guess weather is hard?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

EpicNemesis posted:

Dear Dark Sky,

I ended up paying for the annual thing with Carrot because it pulls from Dark Sky but updates the complications reliably.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

There was a post on Reddit awhile ago how the old bands aren't flush with the S4, but work all the same. Might just be that.
Yeah I remember a pic of the sport loop, I think one of the S4 ones on an older watch showed more plastic of the lug sticking out. Basically looked like it would follow the radius of the S4 which is slightly different.

I also read complaints about the new Milanese loops being lighter or something but complaints weren’t specific in detail beyond just saying it felt cheaper.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I got a series 4 last Friday, first Apple Watch and smartwatch. The analog faces are all unreadable and most app complications don’t even work with the new faces.

I got this for activity tracking and all day heart rate tracking. Strong app integration made me go with Apple over another fitness tracker. I realized however that a number of workouts can’t be tracked very well like kettlebell work or wrestling because there’s a high risk of it getting damaged.

It buzzes me constantly to remind me to breathe or stand up so I had to turn all of the notifications off. The crown sits right behind the stylist process so I can’t access it very well.

This thing doesn’t tell time very well and is just an average activity tracker. It should be a passive thing that just exists collecting data which I can review later but instead it demands my attention and active use pulling me from my surroundings in a more offensive way than my iPhone.

This device half asses everything it tries to be. There’s my review. Steve never would have let this happen.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 17, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

barkbell posted:

I got a series 4 last Friday, first Apple Watch and smartwatch. The analog faces are all unreadable and most app complications don’t even work with the new faces.

You’re not the only one that feels that way. Marco wrote some blog post about it last week on his website Marco.org. He’s a blogger/developer but he’s well known enough that I’m positive Tim or Ive will have seen it.

barkbell posted:

I got this for activity tracking and all day heart rate tracking. Strong app integration made me go with Apple over another fitness tracker. I realized however that a number of workouts can’t be tracked very well like kettlebell work or wrestling because there’s a high risk of it getting damaged.

You risk damaging any activity tracker / watch so not really unique.

barkbell posted:

It buzzes me constantly to remind me to breathe or stand up so I had to turn all of the notifications off. The crown sits right behind the stylist process so I can’t access it very well.

Breath reminders are dumb yes. Notifications are all set to mirror your phone by default. It’s a personal device and you’re suppose to tweak it so that you only get notifications you care about. You can change the position of the crown to face your body if your wrist is in the way? No idea what a stylist process is.

barkbell posted:

This thing doesn’t tell time very well and is just an average activity tracker. It should be a passive thing that just exists collecting data which I can review later but instead it demands my attention and active use pulling me from my surroundings in a more offensive way than my iPhone.

But … that’s exactly what it does …

barkbell posted:

This device half asses everything it tries to be. There’s my review. Steve never would have let this happen.

Someone post that one picture that used to get posted in the Mac threads where its like a timeline of getting your first Mac, from everything is awesome to gently caress this poo poo to okay I get it now.

Its not a perfect device by any means but just take a deep breath and stop acting like an old man who was just given an xcubestation 720 and complaining that it’s not as easy to use as an Atari.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 17, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Boris Galerkin posted:

You’re not the only one that feels that way. Marco wrote some blog post about it last week on his website Marco.org. He’s a blogger/developer but he’s well known enough that I’m positive Tim or Ive will have seen it

Three years rofl

Boris Galerkin posted:

You risk damaging any activity tracker / watch so not really unique.

That’s why I called it average. A chest strap works better but is has its own issues.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Breath reminders are dumb yes. Notifications are all set to mirror your phone by default. It’s a personal device and you’re suppose to tweak it so that you only get notifications you care about. You can change the position of the crown to face your body if your wrist is in the way? No idea what a stylist process is.

Styloid process. Autocorrect on my phone.

Boris Galerkin posted:

But … that’s exactly what it does …
Ty for agreeing with me

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone post that one picture that used to get posted in the Mac threads where its like a timeline of getting your first Mac, from everything is awesome to gently caress this poo poo to okay I get it now.

Its not a perfect device by any means but just take a deep breath and stop acting like an old man who was just given an xcubestation 720 and complaining that it’s not as easy to use as an Atari.

iPod iPhone iPad were all mostly good devices on release. This is three years in and can’t even do time better than my phone. It’s supposed to replace the watch but it doesn’t.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait how does it not tell time well?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The analog faces are all unreadable. Certain faces like modular do it alright but there’s still a delay.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Of all the things you can day about the Apple Watch; saying that it doesn't replace a watch is quite wrong. It literally tells you the time on every screen of every application, except the App cluster (which still shows the time in the center to return to the watch face).

I think you are looking for a more specialized device for activity tracking. This is meant for the mass market. 99.99% of people are not interested in putting a chest strap on every morning to check their heart rate. It just needs to be good enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Analog faces suck, use digital. :colbert:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
literally unusable to tell the time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The analog faces are *okay* if you put numbers on, but in general are not very good, yeah.

You can turn off Breath and Stand reminders if you don't want/care about them. And as someone said, tailor your notifications, in general, to just stuff you want. Leaving every notification on sounds like a nightmare. I don't even do that on my phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

barkbell posted:

........idk maybe yours is faulty? You’re literally the first person to be like “this watch fails as a timekeeping device Steve would never have allowed this” I’ve heard of in five years of this product existing.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

........idk maybe yours is faulty? You’re literally the first person to be like “this watch fails as a timekeeping device Steve would never have allowed this” I’ve heard of in five years of this product existing.

He’s certainly not the first to say the analog faces are poorly designed for usability, up to and including the new infograph face Apple is promoting with the Series 4. I feel the same way, and that doesn’t even get into the various issues with complications.

For day to day use, modular is the only option worth using to me, the rest of the face collection needs some serious reworking to avoid falling into “Oh, that’s a fun gimmick” status.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

+1 to modular. I'd love to use the photos watch face but the complication options are pretty lovely.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Modular white face for life. I’d like to use Infographic modular but that loving missing iMessage complication...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Analog faces are skeuomorphic trash and should be purged from the Apple Watch :colbert:

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I think the new vapor/water/metal faces are really cool

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Sock The Great posted:

Of all the things you can day about the Apple Watch; saying that it doesn't replace a watch is quite wrong. It literally tells you the time on every screen of every application, except the App cluster (which still shows the time in the center to return to the watch face).

I think you are looking for a more specialized device for activity tracking. This is meant for the mass market. 99.99% of people are not interested in putting a chest strap on every morning to check their heart rate. It just needs to be good enough.

Any suggestions?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

barkbell posted:

Any suggestions?

One of the high end garmin watches maybe? :shrug: DC Rainmaker reviews most of the fitness tracker devices that come out

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The digital watch faces are better than the clock ones, but there are a few I don’t mind.

My 4 main watch faces are
Modular
Chronograph
Numerals
Solar

Modular I always use at work. The others I tend to switch to off work and I tend to just randomly choose on what I feel like putting on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wait how does it not tell time well?

No always on display. It's like my single biggest gripe about my S2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dissss posted:

No always on display. It's like my single biggest gripe about my S2.

It displays when I look at it though?? :confused:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It displays when I look at it though?? :confused:

With a normal watch you can just glance at it when you're typing or whatever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

dissss posted:

With a normal watch you can just glance at it when you're typing or whatever.

There's a clock on your screen?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Raise to wake is finicky enough that I would also appreciate the time being shown constantly. I guess this makes me a weirdo! But so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Raise to wake is just janky enough for me (sometimes it doesn't interpret my movement properly, sometimes the screen turns off faster than I want it to) that I can see the appeal of always on, which is the whole point of a watch, glanceability. It's clearly a less than ideal compromise where we trade off glanceability for modularity and power of the displays and device.

But until the Apple Watch stops being a lit screen, we definitely don't want an always on display. The watch glows something fierce in the dark.

Maybe e-ink will one day have the resolution, speed, and colour reproduction to compete with OLED.