Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah I'm supposed to go to dance class but I'm not gonna bother. I could use a beer and some netflix while I sort out my goddamned priorities and send job applications.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gvibes posted:

I had a lawyer juror in my last jury trial.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

Boo, I thought that tweet meant he'd gone sovcit

good news from sheriff Joe!
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1052532302818004992
https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1052534092091277314

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

COMES NOW ON BEHALF OF ALL JEWS

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

disjoe posted:

COMES NOW ON BEHALF OF ALL JEWS

Oh, shoot, better get myself removed from the class so I can sue this Obama fellow independently.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got my bar number and a bill for $200.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

In St. Petersburg, the bill would be over $1000
Which, if we were to convert it into tacos, would be a lot of tacos

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Professional tax?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Had a marathon bench trial today and OC was super down when leaving and shaking hands.

Good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The hits keep on coming! (thread of infinite hilarity)

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1052572288003055616

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
American Nazis certainly are clique twerps.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

sincx posted:

Any recommendations for an estate planning lawyer (for a will) in Atlanta? Asking for a family friend.

I know this guy: https://hartmanprivatelaw.com

He’s great and super nice. I’ve referred several people to him, and they’ve been very happy with the work.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I started an assault 2 trial today, where the prosecutor who was supposed to do it went on vacation and foisted it on another one. We got halfway through one witness when it became super apparent that the prosecutor didn't read the medical records. The judge got pissed and strongly suggested lowering it to a petty. We took it (complainant had a broken nose, we were gonna run a weak self defense, probably would have lost).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

I started an assault 2 trial today, where the prosecutor who was supposed to do it went on vacation and foisted it on another one. We got halfway through one witness when it became super apparent that the prosecutor didn't read the medical records. The judge got pissed and strongly suggested lowering it to a petty. We took it (complainant had a broken nose, we were gonna run a weak self defense, probably would have lost).

The goddamn system works.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I took three days off last week, and the blood god saw that I had been replenished and demanded tribute. Queue three days in a row of billing until 5 a.m.

I’ve spent so much time sitting in a chair working that my rear end feels like it’s fallen asleep. I didn’t even know that was possible.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Omerta posted:

I took three days off last week, and the blood god saw that I had been replenished and demanded tribute. Queue three days in a row of billing until 5 a.m.

I’ve spent so much time sitting in a chair working that my rear end feels like it’s fallen asleep. I didn’t even know that was possible.

It's actually a symptom of your soul leaving your body through your rear end in a top hat

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah that's usually how it goes when you pick up prostitutes at a bar. Never figured you for the type.

Fake edit: Wait, does "getting a number" mean something else colloquially in the US?

E: Just so I'm clear I'm not making this up here's getting a number translated from norwegian: https://www.dinordbok.no/norsk-engelsk/?q=f%C3%A5+seg+et+nummer

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 18, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Professional tax?

Annual dues.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah that's usually how it goes when you pick up prostitutes at a bar. Never figured you for the type.

Fake edit: Wait, does "getting a number" mean something else colloquially in the US?

My bar number is my FL license number. I’m on the florida lawyer search and everything.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Annual dues.

My bar number is my FL license number. I’m on the florida lawyer search and everything.

So I guess you got hosed a different way.

Congrats!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

So I guess you got hosed a different way.

Congrats!

Wait, you don't have periodic payments to your bar (the one that gives you the advokat status) for the honorable right to be its member over in Norway?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

E: Just so I'm clear I'm not making this up here's getting a number translated from norwegian: https://www.dinordbok.no/norsk-engelsk/?q=f%C3%A5+seg+et+nummer

in the us, getting a number means a girl gave you her phone number and suggested you call to set up a date sometime so its implication is actually more that you didn't get laid but you might sometime soon

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

Wait, you don't have periodic payments to your bar (the one that gives you the advokat status) for the honorable right to be its member over in Norway?

We do and it's a drat sight more than 200$ as well (though maybe the same adjusted for cost of living). I was more generally talking about going to law school in the first place.

evilweasel posted:

in the us, getting a number means a girl gave you her phone number and suggested you call to set up a date sometime so its implication is actually more that you didn't get laid but you might sometime soon

and then you do the bloodening and after the blót, you eat the lamb heart, your best men stab the bride's male relatives and you escape on the boat with the most cod on it. right. Seems fairly regular to me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Annual dues.

Florida makes you pay that Year 1? It’s been 10 yrs but I think TN waited 6 months to shake me down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Florida makes you pay that Year 1? It’s been 10 yrs but I think TN waited 6 months to shake me down.

I think it’s a reduced fee for first year. I haven’t looked it up but that seems to be the case.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Reduced fees for the first year? lmao

Over here the first year fee is increased

One of the secondary reasons why I don't bother passing the bar is that I don't have a loving thousand dollars to shill out

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Reduced fees for the first year? lmao

Over here the first year fee is increased

One of the secondary reasons why I don't bother passing the bar is that I don't have a loving thousand dollars to shill out

Pre-test fees were $1000.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Mr. Nice, you need to reply to BoozyBarrister and explain why his taco and wills truck is a horrible plan.

https://twitter.com/BoozyBarrister/status/1052941286313996290

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

Mr. Nice, you need to reply to BoozyBarrister and explain why his taco and wills truck is a horrible plan.

https://twitter.com/BoozyBarrister/status/1052941286313996290

:lol: that might not be too bad of a plan. Reminds me of HankCo.

In employment news, I interviewed via gotomeeting today with the COO/HR head of a firm that spans four states and has more than half a dozen offices in state. They don't have an opening in my town, and the spot I really wanted is getting offered today to someone else, but there are still other statewide openings where they think I'll be a good fit. They're going to schedule a second interview down in Orlando with the equity partner that runs that branch. It's 100% workers comp defense for insurance companies, but if there willing to pay alright it doesn't sound bad.

They had me take a behavior and cognitive assessment prior to the interview. I asked about my score on the cognitive test because I was curious. The test itself advertised a strict 12 minute time limit and said most people do not finish all questions. She seemed shocked when I said I finished all 60 questions with 5 minutes left. She told me scores are strictly confidential, but that I scored beyond exceptionally well. I figure that translates to only one or two incorrect. Regardless this is only my second time to get an interview callback, so I'm a little elated even if it means I have to move.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Look at mr. smarty pants with the 300 iq over here.

If you’re so smart, why did you go to law school?

(Good luck)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Law clerks and students, remember to join your Federalist/Heritage chapters for that sweet conservative affirmative action :10bux:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/us/politics/heritage-foundation-clerks-judges-training.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I love the conservative jurisprudential theory poo poo because it's so beyond farcical. I've gotten into heated arguments about formalism and about a lot of other issues in legal theory, but there's at least a dispute there.

People who can defend Scalian textualism with a straight face deserve special priority because they've got some kind of superpower to be able to withstand the cognitive dissonance involved.

Or a brain lesion, in which case it's more of an ADA thing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: that might not be too bad of a plan. Reminds me of HankCo.

There’s a combo fried chicken restaurant and pharmacy in New Orleans. It is the most New Orleans place I can imagine.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I won.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Do you get to kick the old lady out yourself?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

nm posted:

Do you get to kick the old lady out yourself?

Also, did you let them keep their spouse's ashes?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois is making attorneys who don't have malpractice insurance through a firm (i.e. everyone who does doc review) do 4 hours of 'self assessment' about all that stuff. Normally CLEs are like an hour video or whatever. This is flash only and requires you to click next slide about every 15-30 seconds and otherwise stops.

:smithicide:

edit: AND THERES loving QUIZZES A FEW SLIDES IN JESUS gently caress

im going to go postal. i got to the end to yet another quiz, which froze. reloaded t ab, which disappeared. went back to the site, 'resumed where i left off' and it started me at the beginning where i was 45 loving minutes ago

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 19, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I love the conservative jurisprudential theory poo poo because it's so beyond farcical. I've gotten into heated arguments about formalism and about a lot of other issues in legal theory, but there's at least a dispute there.

It’s p cool all judges now need to be members of a club that started because no one else would believe this stuff (to the exclusion of everything else) back when SCOTUS was actually doing positive things like ruling against segregation.

Also, lol forever that it’s now a career strategy to lie and say you believe this stuff to get federal jobs/clerkships. Can’t wait for the buttcovering excuses of future decades’ legal minds. “No you see I was just pretending to argue consensual adult relationships were like bestiality.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cool, good job.