Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

So, what's the maps going to be like? Fighting on a black ark? A bunch of ships tied together?

Two new things, Island Battles and Black Ark maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Randarkman posted:

So, what's the maps going to be like? Fighting on a black ark? A bunch of ships tied together?

A Black Ark or various islands apparently. I love the implied fiction that suggests some dwarves sail past some orcs, they yell at each other from their ships a bit and agree to sail over to a tiny island for a pickup battle. It’s pretty stupid and fun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

A Black Ark or various islands apparently. I love the implied fiction that suggests some dwarves sail past some orcs, they yell at each other from their ships a bit and agree to sail over to a tiny island for a pickup battle. It’s pretty stupid and fun.

I didn't think of this, but now it's canon. I love it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Randarkman posted:

This is a black ark.

e:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 17, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The new bloodlines thing for VC is pretty dope

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That looks really cool, hoping this means appropriate models for lords of the various bloodlines too.

I'm guessing the Sylvanian Crossbowmen and Handgunners are human? You could do a pretty cool Von Carstein playthrough then where you RP trying to pass yourself off as just another elector count.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Randarkman posted:

I'm guessing the Sylvanian Crossbowmen and Handgunners are human?

That would be pretty cool and loreful. Like, for all the pissing on the canon over the last few pages, and with the exception of egregious poo poo like the original backstory to the Fimir, I'm really glad we've got a long and deep pool to draw on for stuff like this, plus room for new spin-offs like Clyostra. Infinity preferable to dumb AoS crap with no mooring in anything concrete, fantasy spacemarines garbage & stupid namechanges for purely trademarking purposes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

That would be pretty cool and loreful. Like, for all the pissing on the canon over the last few pages, and with the exception of egregious poo poo like the original backstory to the Fimir, I'm really glad we've got a long and deep pool to draw on for stuff like this, plus room for new spin-offs like Clyostra. Infinity preferable to dumb AoS crap with no mooring in anything concrete, fantasy spacemarines garbage & stupid namechanges for purely trademarking purposes.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure some of the oldest army lists for VCs had them able to take Empire State Troops (spearmen, halberdiers, crossbows, handgunners, etc) and I think they've always ruled over a mostly human population in the lore, that is after all (I think) how they get their daily fill of blood.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Raygereio posted:

A set of 10 Sequitors will set you back 60 US dollars. So three of them would be 18,-. And that's not counting the stuff & time you need for assembling & painting.

As someone who played the tabletop game, people bitching about the cost of the DLC is hysterical.

I agree. People bitch about how much all the DLCs will cost put together, and I always reply that it is still less than buying/assembling/painting a single 2000 point army in Warhammer or 40k.

imfrustrtd
Apr 24, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I'm guessing the Sylvanian Crossbowmen and Handgunners are human? You could do a pretty cool Von Carstein playthrough then where you RP trying to pass yourself off as just another elector count.
They gave more details on them, they are treated like RoR and you only get 1 unit per Bloodline commander, with a skill to let you recruit a second.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Wow this sucks if you don't like undead factions, because CA seem to be giving undead all the stuff all the time.

Empire are just laughably boring in terms of lord selection, lord skills and mechanics now. It's crazy that Todbringer isn't a LL yet. I can't fathom it at all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Tod will show up eventually, probably with new units.

The fact that someone got paid to draw art of a loving Necrarch confirms this.

Agreed Empire kinda sucks thematically atm though, because Empire actually is cool and loving rules and I'm excited to see Empire 2.0 in TW

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure some of the oldest army lists for VCs had them able to take Empire State Troops (spearmen, halberdiers, crossbows, handgunners, etc) and I think they've always ruled over a mostly human population in the lore, that is after all (I think) how they get their daily fill of blood.

Yup, they leave the population alive, and only feed on the criminals. It's their ~noble rule~.

The peasants/average person loves them for it.

I also am 110% down with the idea of two ships sailing next to each other and just yelling obscenities at each other until they dock and do an island fight.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Too bad they keep waiting for major DLC's do these overhauls cause the next chance for an oldworld faction being updated is probably in May with the Lizard and Skaven DLC.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I'm hoping they're leaving the empire upgrade till last because they're giving them the biggest changes (they sure need it).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I agree. People bitch about how much all the DLCs will cost put together, and I always reply that it is still less than buying/assembling/painting a single 2000 point army in Warhammer or 40k.

People bitch about DLC because they're dumbasses who want free poo poo. But also want game devs to make decent wages and work reasonable hours. Just as long as it doesn't impact timelines or add cost.

In conclusion Gamers is a land of contrasts. And idiots.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

Wow this sucks if you don't like undead factions, because CA seem to be giving undead all the stuff all the time.

Empire are just laughably boring in terms of lord selection, lord skills and mechanics now. It's crazy that Todbringer isn't a LL yet. I can't fathom it at all.

Yeah, I can see that. Though myself I don't mind the undead, all three undead factions we currently have are very cool. As regards updates to Game 1 factions though, Empire is the one in greatest need. And not just deeper mechanics, we're talking more starting positions and LLs with abilities and unit access that opens up the possibility of differentiated play using the same basic mechanics and roster. At the very least Middenheim with Todbringer should be made playable with their own Ulrican-focused roster and possibly playstyle, the struggle between Boris and Karl Franz over the Imperial title should be emphasized. Further starts could be The Mad Count of Averland and the Death magic lady who rides a dragon in Wissenland. Also, Reiksmarshal Kurt Helborg should definitely be added as either a LL or a regular lord with a unique model and a unique trait for the Reikland start (like Alastar for High Elves).

If they are adding more races to Warhammer 2, then they are basically only left with human ones I believe, either Araby or Southern Realms. Though as someone earlier said, they'd have to be more of a Game 1/Mortal Empires kind of deal, especially now that Sartosa is taken, furthermore I can't really see what they'd want with the Vortex, though conquistadors hunting for gold and cursed treasure could still be fun, but you'd have a hard time fitting in the iconic Dogs of War characters as that outside of Marco Colombo and Pirazzo, and I can't really see them doing (and hope they won't be doing) Southern Realms without doing Borgio, Lucrezzia and Lorenzo as those are really the most unique and fun characters they could have. Anyway Araby would fit in fine with the Vortex campaign and map. Anyway adding more humans would be a good excuse to also go back and give the Empire a do-over.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Like, they put Fimir and giant crabs in the game but we can't get Halflings in the Moot? Or a War Wagon?

When I was younger I used to have a halfling hot pot and a war wagon and they were my favourite models dammit!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

Like, they put Fimir and giant crabs in the game but we can't get Halflings in the Moot? Or a War Wagon?

When I was younger I used to have a halfling hot pot and a war wagon and they were my favourite models dammit!

A Stirland (or is it Averland? Been a while since I played) start for Empire could be a good excuse to add in a couple of actual Halfling units.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Moot is in Stirland you fool. Any child knows this. It's Loreful.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xae posted:

People bitch about DLC because they're dumbasses who want free poo poo. But also want game devs to make decent wages and work reasonable hours. Just as long as it doesn't impact timelines or add cost.

In conclusion Gamers is a land of contrasts. And idiots.

People also forget that disc based expansion packs were a thing and that DLC isn't that much different except it's sort of cheaper now.

Like Dawn of War: Winter Assault launched at what, $30? For one extra army and a short-ish campaign?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was always the case. They were just far too divided and fearful of each other to capitalize on their advantages. The way they unite actually makes sense too. The Great Horned Rat manifests takes control of the Council and has his Greater Daemons take direct control of the Skaven Clans. Then they go on the offensive and start toppling empires.

The stupid part is how the Horned Rat manifests. You know how in the Vortex campaign the final battle is to prevent the Skaven from dispelling the Vortex which will allow the Horned Rat to manifest. In the End Times that happens, except it's Teclis who dispels it. (A guy who's plan in this game is making sure the Vortex does not fail.)

i think part of the appeal of the rats, and a core aspect of their character, is just the fact that their "win condition" was essentially impossible. sure if they unified they'd beat everyone but that is literally just never going to happen because skaven are a bunch of idiot bastards. it completes the parody of humanity in that all our worst problems are self-inflicted for complex but ultimately stupid reasons.

then end times happened and it was very boring and lame

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think part of the appeal of the rats, and a core aspect of their character, is just the fact that their "win condition" was essentially impossible. sure if they unified they'd beat everyone but that is literally just never going to happen because skaven are a bunch of idiot bastards. it completes the parody of humanity in that all our worst problems are self-inflicted for complex but ultimately stupid reasons.

then end times happened and it was very boring and lame

Agreed, the best thing about skaven is that actually, they're the humans of Ham World.

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Christ there is a lot going on with this patch.

If they do Araby or Southern Realms and move some of the Empire stuff around like they did VC alongside the map is going to be so good. Araby especially, N not-Africa is probably the only place I consider kind of lacking in unique feel.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So many things!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Best part of the patch. Finally they are getting the reinforcements they need!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Heres all the faction bonuses for the Bloodlines mechanic:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why's the Von Carstein dude so full of holes?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

Why's the Von Carstein dude so full of holes?

you know how in the olden days courtiers would pretend they had the same diseases as the king to look cooler

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
why are they so reluctant to put old world generals in the new world?? Or vice versa. The pirate dark elf should have started between Norsca and tod bringer imo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gay Horney posted:

why are they so reluctant to put old world generals in the new world?? Or vice versa. The pirate dark elf should have started between Norsca and tod bringer imo

At least you can sail East to fight with the Tomb Kings. And your immediate neighbors are Teclis (ugh), Skaven (sigh), Lizardmen (groan) and vampirates (yay!). And few Norscans around. It's a more varied start than the other DE lords. Hellebron's and Alarielle's (and Alith Anar's) start positions are no different than the other DE or HE starts (Teclis excluded), they have it way worse.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Urgh I might have to do a kemmler ME run

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Take a look at the stream VOD if you can, there's quite a few other changes to Vampire Counts (and Kemmler specifically) that aren't advertised in the blog post. They've tweaked the tech tree, for one (FREE UPKEEP FOR ZOMBIES AND SKELETONS!).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Vampirates are a lot cooler than Dogs of War, and it makes sense to tie VC changes to this DLC. Yet I'm not sure that Vampire Counts really needed this overhaul right now, especially with the very sorry state of the Empire. Or the pretty lame Wood Elf experience. WEs still have a powerful roster, but they suffer from a core mechanic not working well with the climate system, plus they have relatively lame unique mechanics (council system for example).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vlex posted:

Urgh I might have to do a kemmler ME run

Brettonia is more or less in the center of ME map, it makes the factions that start around there interesting since you have a ton of different enemies to choose from or directions to expand.

Every time I've tried to start a VC campaign I end up bouncing off them, their early game armies just feel incredibly boring, and there build up on the map screen, slow. With these changes I may try a Kemmler start, as well.

If they are going back and giving old lords new mounts, they should let goblin great shamans take spider shrines.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Having max campaign buffed Krell going to town on some Bretonnian knights is a very tempting offer

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Will the patch launch alongside the DLC or it will go live earlier?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It'll be simultaneous. That's how every DLC update has gone.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I know VC are getting all the toys but I really hope they enable a Red Duke start pos, even if it means giving VC /another/ LL. It's good to go, he has unique stuff, the province even has its own special VC landmark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want to recruit some dudes to shoot into my tarpit where, yes, if you must know, I have summoned a bunch of zombies.