Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sock The Great posted:

If he lives / wants to live in NYC then he should just ditch the car entirely. Problem solved.

He wants to move to Williamsburg and they're shutting down the one subway line that accesses the city soon for several years, so that Lambo will become his daily driver and lol at keeping one of those up there. Also LIC and Williamsburg aren't even near each other so who knows where he's actually thinking of moving but lol at the thought of keeping whatever kind of car costs $2000/mo in payments in either area.

Edit: Obligatory moving to NYC in general = BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

See if you can spot the BWM

Getting a loan for rent? Does it make sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9okrry/getting_a_loan_for_rent_does_it_make_sense/

I would bet money that the startup is blockchain based and the car is a Lambo.

Realistically, it's probably a higher-end BMW. It always is with that type.

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.

Fhqwhgads posted:

He wants to move to Williamsburg and they're shutting down the one subway line that accesses the city soon for several years, so that Lambo will become his daily driver and lol at keeping one of those up there. Also LIC and Williamsburg aren't even near each other so who knows where he's actually thinking of moving but lol at the thought of keeping whatever kind of car costs $2000/mo in payments in either area.

Edit: Obligatory moving to NYC in general = BWM

They're not adjacent to one another and they're in different boroughs, but to get to LIC from Williamsburg you just have to drive north through Greenpoint over Newtown Creek via the Pulaski bridge. It's about a 10 minute drive and a 5 minute train ride via the G.

Both neighborhoods offer easy access to Manhattan (at least Williamsburg used to), lots of newly constructed, overpriced high-rise developments being scooped up by wealthy foreign capital and are considered "trendy".

Hairy Nude fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 16, 2018

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Cool Dad Gets Bullied For Driving Son To School In A Ferrari 488

quote:

A father in eastern China who dropped his son off at school in a Ferrari is facing a social boycott for showing off wealth and has been removed from the class WeChat group after refusing to use a less expensive car, local media has reported.

quote:

“It’s not proper. You should not show off, no matter how rich you are,” said one parent.

“If it’s just dropping the kid at school, can’t you just use a regular car?” said another. “You are not short of money anyway.”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Please don’t invite the corruption investigators into our school” seems like a reasonable standard.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vox Nihili posted:

Realistically, it's probably a higher-end BMW. It always is with that type.
Nah, think techbro-ier.

quote:

[–]UrsinusGrad 5 points 12 hours ago

God man what are you driving for 2 grand a month? Why?

[–]redex131 [S] 1 point 5 hours ago

Because my Tesla is sick that’s why haha

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol his tesla has a fever

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

As you can see your Tesla is fully sick, it is using a dead Model 3's trunk as a bong.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What Tesla is 2k/mo? Is that a roadster?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

Probably a shortish loan for a pricey Model S.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

The cheap model three would run about 2k/month at 24 months@1.49% if he put close to nothing or nothing down and got no upgrades. Or if he just got the basic everything plus the semi-autonomous driving stuff and put like 10k down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Have any of the cheap Model 3 been delivered yet?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My friend owns one that's base model other than the semi-autonomous stuff. I dunno if they ever delivered on the sub 40k ones. I think the cheapest the come is like $55k right now?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lockback posted:

See if you can spot the BWM

Getting a loan for rent? Does it make sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9okrry/getting_a_loan_for_rent_does_it_make_sense/

I would bet money that the startup is blockchain based and the car is a Lambo.

$2k car payment on $150k (hopefully) salary, lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FrozenVent posted:

Have any of the cheap Model 3 been delivered yet?

They have completely eliminated any mention of them from the website

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dustoph posted:

I'm actually surprised at the lack of gun posts in this thread.

I wonder if its because most guns are targeted at such a different market. They don't have the MLM background for them, they are usually targeted at wealthier people, and its possible to actually sell them if you need to.

But I know people go loving bonkers buying guns though. My boss at work is currently heading to his own BWM event horizon in the near future, and part of that is his involvement with the prepper/survivalist/milfetish communities.
For those guys, you don't just need a AR, you need have to have the *best* AR. You have to have the right optics, and the all the doodads. The amount of money its possible to spend is pretty amazing.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I wonder if its because most guns are targeted at such a different market. They don't have the MLM background for them, they are usually targeted at wealthier people, and its possible to actually sell them if you need to.

But I know people go loving bonkers buying guns though. My boss at work is currently heading to his own BWM event horizon in the near future, and part of that is his involvement with the prepper/survivalist/milfetish communities.
For those guys, you don't just need a AR, you need have to have the *best* AR. You have to have the right optics, and the all the doodads. The amount of money its possible to spend is pretty amazing.

Ya that’s more what I was getting at. Not that guns are inherently bwm, but poo poo like an AR 15 has more accessories than Barbie and some people go nuts. $5,000 scope to shoot paper anyone?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My roommate received a catalog today that sells chocolate and meat/cheese gift packages for the holidays. They offer monthly financing for these gift packages ("pay only $3.99 a month!").

Christmas is, societally, possibly the worst-with-money thing ever. I really hate this time of year.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

My roommate received a catalog today that sells chocolate and meat/cheese gift packages for the holidays. They offer monthly financing for these gift packages ("pay only $3.99 a month!").

Christmas is, societally, possibly the worst-with-money thing ever. I really hate this time of year.

Is that not a thing everywhere? I mean, it's dumb, but in Australia everyone would have heard of Chrisco. (Why buy a $50 gift card when you could spend $1.02 a week to get it for $55? Or how about a bunch of junk food and an unreasonable amount of meat for only $1400?)

You need some Black Friday bargains to raise your spirits.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Thanatosian posted:

Lighten up, Scrooge.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

uvar posted:

Is that not a thing everywhere? I mean, it's dumb, but in Australia everyone would have heard of Chrisco. (Why buy a $50 gift card when you could spend $1.02 a week to get it for $55? Or how about a bunch of junk food and an unreasonable amount of meat for only $1400?)

quote:

Mega Holiday, great for the caravan park or just at home.

Somewhere the Old El Paso girl just developed an eyelid twitch and doesn't know why.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

uvar posted:

Permission requested to search and replace "shopping" on the internet to randomly be either "retail therapy" or "investing in your own self-esteem".

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

uvar posted:

How much does food cost in Australia, in the United States many of those items would be like $2 or less. I can't imagine running through a grocery checkout with that list of items and spending $1100 US dollars or whatever that adds up to. Also that list is like if you just gave up on life and walked through a grocery store and swept random poo poo off the shelves into your cart and that's just what you ended up with

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lottery is getting near 1 billion dollars. Bring out the bad with lottery stories

Jan 11, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lottery is getting near 1 billion dollars. Bring out the bad with lottery stories

Can you buy an assorted grab basket of $1,400 worth of lottery tickets on weekly finance terms?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dustoph posted:

I'm actually surprised at the lack of gun posts in this thread.

There was a story in TFR about someone’s relative having NFA stuff in the trunk of a car that was towed or repoed. The tow company apparently had a visit from the ATF afterwards, as they couldn’t legally posess NFA stuff, but I can’t recall any of the details.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How much does food cost in Australia

More than the US. The Australian dollar is weaker and incomes are much higher (18+ minimum wage, average 82k/yr).

Also consider how many people that will feed and it starts to become a lot more reasonable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Talking about Australia brings up something weird about England. Are English salaries unusually low? The average household income is like 27k, which even accounting for the strong English Pound is still probably 15% less than the average US household.

I get they don't worry about healthcare costs, but don't they have higher taxes on that 27k also? How does that shake out for Imperial Goons?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
That's pretty much all of Europe except a few pockets like Scandinavia. America is insanely rich.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
anecdotally in my industry salaries in the UK are absurdly low, like 25% lower in PPP adjusted terms

Jan 11, 2004
Real income in the United Kingdom is substantially lower than in the United States, about 25% is correct. This is also generally true of most economically comparable countries that do not functionally consist of a single metropolitan area stripped of the lower-income suburbs and rural areas and countries that import a large fraction of their low-paid labor and do not count it in their income statistics.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

America has more upskew as well when using averages vs medians.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm 23 years old and I have no idea how my personal finance works.

quote:

Hi everyone, I have been having some difficult financial times recently and could really use some advice.

I make $800/wk before taxes, on top of that I make anywhere between $0-$1000/wk cash by doing side work for people around my city. As of today for the month of October, my Bank Of America app states that my total income is $2,149.80 meanwhile, my total spending is $3,627.87.

My yearly income is $66,646.68 meanwhile, my spending total is $68,552.13 for a total difference of: $1905.45

I am $35,000 in debt because of my car loan, scooter loan, and credit card bills.

Now lets get into my monthly expenses.

$1000 for rent

$581 car payment

$110 water payment

$120-$160 electricity payment

$81 scooter payment

$400-$600 medicine

$33 medical bills

$24 dog food & grooming

$600-$1000 eating out at restaurants

By going with the median numbers in my guesstimates I come up with that monthly I spend a total of: $3,269

My dad pays for my groceries, phone bill, gas, insurance, and other minor expenses. I'll have a good month of work and I'll have $2k-$3k in the bank at one time. Before the next month is over my account will be empty again.

I know a huge expense is eating out but I'm not a good chef so I don't cook for myself.

I don't feel like I'm living over my means, I just need some better help budgeting. One reason to point out is that I'm so upside down this month is because I withdrew my monthly rent payment on the 1st of this month so that's factored in to my monthly spending total. Also purchased an Xbox for my Girlfriend's brother for his birthday so that has me in the hole for another $320. I am being paid back for that purchase by the family.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what my next step is, but I know I'll probably have to make some big life changes.

quote:

The medicine expense is for medical marijuana which isn’t covered by any type of insurance.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

I don't feel like I'm living over my means, I just need some better help budgeting.

:thunk:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Sells drugs, calling it

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Sells drugs, calling it
Nah, with that car payment he bought something new and does Uber/Lyft with dad paying for gas and insurance.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"Stop eating out so much"

"no"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Imagine a $581 per month car payment.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's a lot better than a $2k/mo car payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Eldarion posted:

It's a lot better than a $2k/mo car payment.

this is true no matter how diseased your tesla is