Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Dammit why can't Canada ship when the US does :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

It's a refreshing change not having the typical youtube shallow depth of field from ultra expensive DSLRs. I didn't think the video was particularly compelling though.
Maybe. But hobby-related, I'm watching a lot of Gopro videos on Youtube, and they don't have shallow DOF either, and they look tons better than this. Even at 720p. Sure, it's not entirely fair, since their sensor is larger, but here's where that Google software magic, that everyone praises, is supposed to do its work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Wait, so google *didn't* gently caress up the launch of a phone for a change?

Figures it's the year I decide to pass and wait for the P4!

It's funny what happens when you have a real ODM make your phones.

I'm sure though that the current internet group think is the reason why stuff is shipping fast is because no one is buying them.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Doesn't have to be either or.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dammit why can't Canada ship when the US does :smith:

Because we are an insignificant iceberg rock and nobody cares about our paltry 35 million population, which is the same number currently living on one side of a street in NYC

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Samsung display in combination with Nacho Notch is making it very tempting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

codo27 posted:

Because we are an insignificant iceberg rock and nobody cares about our paltry 35 million population, which is the same number currently living on one side of a street in NYC

I guess the assumption is we're all gonna be too high to care now too.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Canceled my launch-day pre-order from Google and re-ordered through Verizon to get the BoGo.

Both scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Weird thing is, mine (black XL) shipped out of PA, and the wife's (white XL) shipped out of Memphis.

I assume you or your wife are new to Verizon, creating the new line? Or did you discover some creative way around the BOGO new line requirement?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm looking at the same options right now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Folks that already got their Pixel-- did you have to sign for the delivery? If I'm not home my landlord will sign for it but the office closes super early so I need to know if I should make arrangements.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

incogneato posted:

I assume you or your wife are new to Verizon, creating the new line? Or did you discover some creative way around the BOGO new line requirement?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm looking at the same options right now.

My kid is (unwilling, but he doesn't pay the bill, so gently caress him) sacrificing his number and getting the new line.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AlexDeGruven posted:

My kid is (unwilling, but he doesn't pay the bill, so gently caress him) sacrificing his number and getting the new line.

Haha well done.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Depending on the back-end checks Verizon has in place, adding a line while canceling another line on the same account may not count as adding a line.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

heffray posted:

Depending on the back-end checks Verizon has in place, adding a line while canceling another line on the same account may not count as adding a line.

The sales guy dissuaded me from it, claiming I'd lose my number. Maybe he was just making poo poo up though. We are on a legacy data plan that is much cheaper than the current unlimited offerings, so we'd presumably lose that by opening a new line.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Got my pixel XL just now. Sweet Jesus this screen is nice

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I am extremely jealous of you new pixel havers. I can't take advantage of any of the BOGO stuff since it is just me that needs a new phone. New plan is to wait until black friday to see if there any deals on the 3. If nothing pops up I'm just gonna buy it at retail price.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

RichterIX posted:

Folks that already got their Pixel-- did you have to sign for the delivery? If I'm not home my landlord will sign for it but the office closes super early so I need to know if I should make arrangements.

Signing was necessary, I believe. The last few times I ordered something from Google, Fedex wouldn't allow a redirect to a pickup location. This time I was home, but they took it to the apartment office anyway, and the apartment manager signed for me, according to the Fedex Tracking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

vyst posted:

Got my pixel XL just now. Sweet Jesus this screen is nice

drat you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

RichterIX posted:

For my Pixel 1 the driver wedged it in the bushes by the porch and drove off, didn't even try to ring the doorbell.

So it probably depends on where you live.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
All the cases you can get today for the pixel 3 are ugly as all balls.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

effika posted:

For my Pixel 1 the driver wedged it in the bushes by the porch and drove off, didn't even try to ring the doorbell.

So it probably depends on where you live.

My Pixel 2 was in the middle of my driveway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Veskit posted:

All ... cases ... are ugly as all balls.

Fixed that for you.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I didn't have to sign for mine

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Veskit posted:

All the cases you can get today for the pixel 3 are ugly as all balls.

I was going to get one of the fabric ones, which I had heard were nice. Are they not?

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Hey y'all, what's a good phone for $400 max? Preferably sprint but willing to get it on GSM. Sprints website had an s8+ pre-owned for 400 but it's out if stock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

incogneato posted:

I was going to get one of the fabric ones, which I had heard were nice. Are they not?

They are very nice, a little pricey, but nice. I have the indigo one waiting for my phone.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

RichterIX posted:

FedEx's site should tell you if a signature is required for delivery. You may have to create an account to see that. Mine is listed as out for delivery today and the site is telling me a signature is not required.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RichterIX posted:

There should be an expandable section on the tracking # page that says "shipment facts" and that's where it will list whether there's a signature required.

They probably put a signature requirement on anything over a certain amount - I ordered pixel buds a while back and there was no signature required, I don't remember whether my P1 or P2 needed one, or if I was able to have them hold it at the local FedEx store.

I have an enclosed porch but I suspect there's a N/S or Ave/Street mixup that occasionally happens since every once in a while they claim something got delivered and it isn't there, but shows up a few days later. Never had anything just disappear but it happens just often enough and only with FedEx to make me think they are loving something up and someone a few blocks away keeps getting random poo poo but has the saintly conscience to not keep it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for all the signature stuff! I'll look on the tracking when I get a chance, it was just going to piss me off if I missed it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google provides some detail on the Titan M chip.

https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/titan-m-makes-pixel-3-our-most-secure-phone-yet/?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=og

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
No big shocker seeing how it sold but Essential has been hit with layoffs:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/17/essential-decides-a-third-of-its-staff-isnt/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Incessant Excess posted:

No big shocker seeing how it sold but Essential has been hit with layoffs:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/17/essential-decides-a-third-of-its-staff-isnt/

F

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

heffray posted:

I'm not terminating his line until he's established on the new one (making sure everyone has his new number, etc). So they'll run concurrently for a least a few days.

Fun fact, on Verizon at least, the new line will NOT activate until street date in the US, which is tomorrow.

Spent an hour trying to activate the one that showed up today (if it was mine, I would have just dropped my existing SIM in) including an extended period of time on the phone with VZW. They're locked to activate tomorrow, and the guy on the activation help line did everything he could, but it would not activate.

Oh well. It's pretty, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beaner69 posted:

Hey y'all, what's a good phone for $400 max? Preferably sprint but willing to get it on GSM. Sprints website had an s8+ pre-owned for 400 but it's out if stock.

Pick up a Pixel 2 XL on Swappa for about that much. Can probably get it for $400 if you go with the 64GB option.

EDIT: You'll have to check constantly for a P2XL for $400 on Swappa. It's rare but not unheard of. The small Pixel 2 will be around that price at least.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 17, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
is there anyone here getting a pixel 3 that doesn't need their pixel 2xl fabric case anymore? I would like to have one but don't particularly want to pay $60 AUD for the privilege

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

incogneato posted:

They're so friggin expensive I couldn't do it. Talking about Spigen and Caseology's current selection

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
IIRC Fi is a bill credit, how is the BOGO for verizon structured?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:patriot:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ilkhan posted:

IIRC Fi is a bill credit, how is the BOGO for verizon structured?

Same. It's a bill credit up to $799/24 on the added line.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

AlexDeGruven posted:

Fun fact, on Verizon at least, the new line will NOT activate until street date in the US, which is tomorrow.

Spent an hour trying to activate the one that showed up today (if it was mine, I would have just dropped my existing SIM in) including an extended period of time on the phone with VZW. They're locked to activate tomorrow, and the guy on the activation help line did everything he could, but it would not activate.

Oh well. It's pretty, though.

This right here is why its better to buy the non-Verizon locked version from Google. Sure the bogo is a thing, but if you only need one phone don't give Verizon extra chances to screw things up. I popped my sim in my 3 and it activated no problem.

The data transfer system is getting better too. It copied over all the APKs and most of them logged right in without me having to remember credentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a tool to graph out data usage, that's more detailed than what comes with Android? I'm trying to track down some app that seems to siphon data slowly in background. Based on the data saver settings, it's probably Play Services (again), but I'd like to confirm.