Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Christopher Walken has played more than a villain.

Villain?

HERO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sarcopenia posted:

In the future all you need to know about friends is that Ross is always wrong hth.

I never really intentionally watched Friends but I've seen a lot of episodes because it is, and was pretty much unavoidable for the last 10? 20? years, and and thing I remember noticing is that Ross was apparently the Golden Child growing up and Monica the disappointment, and that this dynamic is both maintained and flipped in how they behave as adults. Ross has a lingering, and largely unjustified air of superiority about his intelligence, and Monica is regularly embarassed about her jobs which aren't as well-paid or stable as her brother's . But while she's a neat-freak, and pretty uptight, she's still a lot more likeable than Ross, who is a whiny turd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pookah posted:

I never really intentionally watched Friends but I've seen a lot of episodes because it is, and was pretty much unavoidable for the last 10? 20? years, and and thing I remember noticing is that Ross was apparently the Golden Child growing up and Monica the disappointment, and that this dynamic is both maintained and flipped in how they behave as adults. Ross has a lingering, and largely unjustified air of superiority about his intelligence, and Monica is regularly embarassed about her jobs which aren't as well-paid or stable as her brother's . But while she's a neat-freak, and pretty uptight, she's still a lot more likeable than Ross, who is a whiny turd.

Rachel makes Chandler drain his entire life savings to pay for the wedding. Theyre both awful people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Christopher Walken has played more than a villain.

THE ICE... is gonna BREAK!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pookah posted:

Monica is definitely not likeable. she is always the one lying, conniving, and loving poo poo up

Honestly though, the ultimate episode of friends would just be Ross falling down a flight of poo poo-covered stairs for 22 minutes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's an episode where Rachel is describing having sex with Ross while Phoebe and Monica are enraptured in the romance. Who the gently caress wants to hear about their brother having sex.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Jennifer Aniston probably started the puberties of more millennials than any other single actress

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CrRoMa posted:

Jennifer Aniston probably started the puberties of more millennials than any other single actress

I'm not sure this is how puberty works but I haven't had it yet so I don't know.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CrRoMa posted:

I always preferred Courtney Cox :shrug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Courtney Cox was actually just a broomhandle with two balloons taped to it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Friend's character you liked the most is probably some kind of psych-ops Facebook test to determine if you're a bad person.

I liked Phoebe, so suck it bitches.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I didn't watch enough Friends to really form any opinions. What does that say?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

IDK man I guess you don't have to post about it then

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You were crushing on Elaine Benes

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Iron Crowned posted:

You were crushing on Elaine Benes

Wouldn't mind doing some crushing on Elaine Benes myself iykwim

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

Wouldn't mind doing some crushing on Elaine Benes myself iykwim

Hell yeah, :same:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember on 7th heaven there was a big episode about Simom jokingly flipping off his friends. I remember it being very laughable at the time and im sure its more laughable now.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

CrRoMa posted:

Do you think the producers told her to never wear a bra, or was it her decision?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Miss chanandler bong

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Fridays didn’t really age poorly because it sucked from day one—they worked so drat hard at the edgelord bullshit (“Diner of the Living Dead”; the near-mandatory drug references in everything) that it drowned out the comedy. It only lasted as long as it did because its first full season was up against the garbage fire over at SNL that year, after Lorne Michaels and the remaining original cast bailed.

I still probably need to give more than the Drugs R Us sketch a watch, but even with that one having an excuse for drug references, it felt like it was going too far and repeating a joke too many times that it stopped being funny.

There was a bit that got a big laugh, though, somehow, from the audience, but they had way too much stuff shoved into a single bit that by the half-way mark I was bored with it.

I gave the Diner of the Living Dead clip a watch and there's a odd quality to it were bits of it felt like a more modern SNL skit, but it feels like it's building to a punchline that never happens. In fact, it just ends.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkvVs91TUI

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember on 7th heaven there was a big episode about Simom jokingly flipping off his friends. I remember it being very laughable at the time and im sure its more laughable now.

7th Heaven was one of those shows that everyone's mom loved, so we watched by proxy. They're all laughably bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On actors and typecasting, I liked Tom Wilson's role as Officer Mullins' miserable Police Chief in The Heat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2zwmT7M-0

I think my favourite exchange of his is "God this job is destroying me. You... how old do you think I am?"
Bullock: Uhhh... 56?
Wilson: "I'm 39! I have an 8 year old son who calls me "Grandpa!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Oct 17, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

You'll be happy to know that he went into puppetry instead then.

Bears in Space is really loving weird, and at times feels like they're being quirky just for the sake of it, but it's still hilarious from top to bottom.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Koalas Massacre posted:

Niles would literally get nosebleeds if he so much as told a white lie because he hated to betray his ethics. They had a lot of discussion of ethics and philosophy but I think it got lost because the dialogue was so snappy and it was still rooted in sitcom hijinks.

But yeah ethics/philosophy were a running theme, Niles nosebleeds, Martin being a cop (there was a whole episode about whether or not it was ok for Martin to lie on the stand to put away a guy he "knew" was 100% guilty) HIPAA/confidentiality came up constantly including Niles and Daphne's first and second big fights, the Noble Lie, Absurdism etc

Show also introduced me to Jung. Good show.

Watching a lot of Frasier lately has really firmed up my commitment to living a life of integrity, because the Crane boys (including Martin) so clearly lack integrity in their lives. The show is usually very clear on an episode-by-episode basis on when the characters are acting unethically, though in aggregate it's sort of insane in that the characters are intended to remain likable despite acting badly in episode after episode. Of course they were made in a context where someone might see an episode a week with a large number of repeats, rather than watching ten or more episodes in a single night as I do.

It's hosed up how Daphne and Niles treated Donnie and Mel, though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wasn't there an episode where the reverend dad looks under his? another? kids bed and he finds like a machete and grenades, lmao. This was the kid who was troubled because he listened to rock and roll or some crap. That show had some great satanic panic-type episodes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mel and Donnie were the perfect people for both Daphne and Niles and the hoops they started putting those characters through to make them seem unlikable was almost as implausible as Daphne's entire family.

They decided to just have everyone start comparing Mel to Maris, but what they showed of her she was absolutely devoted to Niles and loved him deeply. She even gave a long speech about how much she wants to be the trusted person he needs in his life, but we're supposed to feel for Daphne in that scene because the camera just focuses on her. The worst thing they show her doing is convincing Niles to run for Cork Master. Donnie was arguably even better than Mel. Dude did nothing wrong and loved her unequivocally.

So once they decided to have these two people throw away the most healthy and loving relationships they've ever had on a whim, they had to make Mel turn into a monster who forced Niles to pretend to be her husband (?) and had Donniee sue Daphne and Frasier(???). Niles and Daphne getting together, coupled with Daphne's family starting to come into the picture, is where the biggest dip in quality happened for the show. Once Ronnie showed up it was basically full speed ahead into ridiculousness.

tldr: I like Frasier, and I'm aware this is a McDonald's drive through.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

no friends

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mel and Donnie were the perfect people for both Daphne and Niles and the hoops they started putting those characters through to make them seem unlikable was almost as implausible as Daphne's entire family.

They decided to just have everyone start comparing Mel to Maris, but what they showed of her she was absolutely devoted to Niles and loved him deeply. She even gave a long speech about how much she wants to be the trusted person he needs in his life, but we're supposed to feel for Daphne in that scene because the camera just focuses on her. The worst thing they show her doing is convincing Niles to run for Cork Master. Donnie was arguably even better than Mel. Dude did nothing wrong and loved her unequivocally.

So once they decided to have these two people throw away the most healthy and loving relationships they've ever had on a whim, they had to make Mel turn into a monster who forced Niles to pretend to be her husband (?) and had Donniee sue Daphne and Frasier(???). Niles and Daphne getting together, coupled with Daphne's family starting to come into the picture, is where the biggest dip in quality happened for the show. Once Ronnie showed up it was basically full speed ahead into ridiculousness.

tldr: I like Frasier, and I'm aware this is a McDonald's drive through.

You post this idiotic hot take every time Frasier comes up in any thread as if Mel wasn't a conniving manipulator who talked Niles into multiple unnecessary cosmetic surgeries and violates HIPAA several times in her introductory episode.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I always felt bad for niles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the actor who played Niles was the nervous sea creature sidekick in HellBoy.

Imagine my surprise to find out it was another nervous skinny white guy actor.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always thought the actor who played Niles was the nervous sea creature sidekick in HellBoy.

David Hyde Pierce did the voiceover for Abe in the original movie while Doug Jones played him. The sequel had Doug Jones do the entire role.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Krispy Wafer posted:

They dubbed over the actors voice with Niles for the movie. I heard David Hyde Pierce thought it was stupid as the actor sounded almost the same & I think DHP didn't return to voice him in HellBoy 2

E: well poo poo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

David Hyde Pierce apparently likes the Mignolaverse because he did do a voice for The Amazing Screw-on Head, which deserved more than its pilot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let's just all agree his best role was in Wet Hot American Summer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That’s true for most of the WHAS cast really.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

They dubbed over the actors voice with Niles for the movie. I heard David Hyde Pierce thought it was stupid as the actor sounded almost the same & I think DHP didn't return to voice him in HellBoy 2

E: well poo poo

Wow, so I wasn't totally wrong.

It's a harsh realization when you find out how easily you can be replaced.

It's also weird that both Crane boys starred in superhero movies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

food court bailiff posted:

You post this idiotic hot take every time Frasier comes up in any thread as if Mel wasn't a conniving manipulator who talked Niles into multiple unnecessary cosmetic surgeries and violates HIPAA several times in her introductory episode.

I loving love that the dude has posted so much about Frasier that this is the fame he has now. It's like that one poster's red text that says something like " ANCIENT ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS FUCKWIT"

Whoever speaks ill of Frasier or any of the Crane boys will have to deal with me though

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
He's right though. Niles did Mel wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

7th Heaven was one of those shows that everyone's mom loved, so we watched by proxy. They're all laughably bad.
The one that sticks out for me is when one of the kids brings a concentration camp survivor to tell her story to the class and make all the kids cry.