Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

probably some dumbshit "welcome to microsoft mail app!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
you'd like to think that wouldn't you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it means microsoft hasn't read two of your emails and sold the data to advertisers, yet

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1051955618955841538

looks like seattle has a new "worst billionaire"

congrats to jeff bezos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

please tell me that he is the guy who invented allen wrench

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

f

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Guess he yielded in the race for the biggest yacht.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lambert posted:

Guess he yielded in the race for the biggest yacht.

wait until you see his coffin, it’s going to be a container ship with a giant pyre burning thousands of gallons of kerosene per second roaming the earth via gps

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

wait until you see his coffin, it’s going to be a container ship with a giant pyre burning thousands of gallons of kerosene per second roaming the earth via gps

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

imagine being a billionaire and the best tribute people can come up with is "he loved classic rock"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
i like the story of how paul left microsoft because he overheard gates and ballmer discussing how useless he was and whether they'd legally be able to gently caress him out of his equity. they were right about paul being useless, but lucky for paul he kept the shares out of spite.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hifi posted:

imagine being a billionaire and the best tribute people can come up with is "he loved classic rock"
he owned the portland trailblazers, i've seen a bunch of basketball-related stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hifi posted:

he loved classic rock so much he hired frank ghery to design a museum about classic rock [the museum is no longer about classic rock]

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 16, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

F

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Was this an actual official act of marketing?

Because goddamn does it just look shoddy.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
no it was some very stupid people doing a very stupid thing at some employee parade

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they sure killed the iphone alright

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

he loved classic rock so much he hired frank ghery to design a museum about classic rock [the museum is no longer about classic rock]
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1051956977062932480

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

paul bearers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ice fuckin cold

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:golfclap:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1052010729501536257

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

which one?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

akadajet posted:

which one?

cremate him and split the difference?

he's bricked he won't care

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1052011764852936705

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

:lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

savage

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

qirex posted:

it turns out that nobody else likes classic rock

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ, tap-dancing on the cross...

E:

Im dead.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 16, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so the mastermind behind microsoft's horrible nfl surface deal is also a big time criminal

quote:

Microsoft’s former sports marketing director has been charged with trying to embezzle around $1.5 million from the company and stealing more than 60 Super Bowl tickets that were meant for Microsoft employees. Jeff Tran was indicted yesterday after an FBI investigation, and he’s facing five counts of wire fraud, which carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

The indictment alleges that Tran started his embezzlement scheme in January 2017 when he intercepted a block of Super Bowl tickets intended for Microsoft employees. Tran oversaw Microsoft’s relationship with the NFL, and, according to the filing, Tran claimed he would personally deliver the tickets to company managers. Instead, he sold around 60 of them to a broker for $200,000. Then, he made another $12,400 by selling some tickets to a Microsoft employee who thought Tran had purchased them with his own money.

A few months later, Tran allegedly hatched an even more lucrative plan. He convinced a consulting company to send Microsoft a $775,000 invoice on behalf of an unnamed (and fictitious) vendor, threatening to terminate Microsoft’s relationship with the company if it refused. The money went into Tran’s bank account.

Tran supposedly tried the same gambit in July, asking for a $670,000 invoice and saying he planned to request $500,000 more in the future. This time, the consulting company became suspicious and alerted Microsoft, which questioned Tran about the money. Tran claimed he’d never seen the invoice, deleted incriminating text messages, and — after being presented with evidence — said he’d been “hacked.” Eventually, he returned the $775,000 payment to Microsoft.

Microsoft didn’t immediately respond to an email requesting comment, but the company told SeattlePI that it had terminated Tran and alerted law enforcement once it became aware of the embezzlement.

Before his firing, Tran helped manage a years-long partnership that made Microsoft Surface devices the “official tablet” of the NFL. The agreement reportedly cost Microsoft $400 million, and it hit some road bumps, like sportscasters calling the Surface an iPad. Nonetheless, the deal was extended for another year in December 2017, presumably without Tran’s oversight.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was always the funniest promotion deal.

there's no way anyone actually thought it would be a good demonstration of the surface to have a bunch of sweaty guys trying to paw at the digitizer in the rain

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i like how if i take my surface with me out in the field i can't use it if i'm wearing my polarized sunglasses.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's true of almost any LCD tho, they all use polarization filters. at best they won't be 180° off from your glasses

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

that's true of almost any LCD tho, they all use polarization filters. at best they won't be 180° off from your glasses

while my apple stuff can have a sort-of rainbow effect over the image it's still all visible, i guess they do something differently from surfaces?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1aul7cR5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

while my apple stuff can have a sort-of rainbow effect over the image it's still all visible, i guess they do something differently from surfaces?

it depends on the alignment of the filter, if it's out of alignment with the filter on your lenses by anything other than 180° you get trippy effects and slight dimming. same with polarized windows in cars, etc.