Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Anidav posted:

The Coalition government is bracing for its second leadership challenge in less than two months, with Nationals MPs counting numbers to potentially topple Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack within days.

So they plan on destabilizing the government in the run up to the by-election.

A far better outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are 22 people in the National Party room, how the gently caress does a "substantial bloc" even exist?

When you need to buy 6 slabs to hold a faction meeting it means you have a bloc of four nats members which is substantial.

hidys
May 6, 2015

Isn't it the Queenslanders pushing for this minus David Littleproud? In the Nats that's basically the entire party.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hidys posted:

Isn't it the Queenslanders pushing for this minus David Littleproud? In the Nats that's basically the entire party.

Nats are something like 40% NSW, 40% Qld with the other 20% from the rest of the country (mostly Vic).

hidys
May 6, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nats are something like 40% NSW, 40% Qld with the other 20% from the rest of the country (mostly Vic).

Hell of a starting point for a spill.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mathias cormam my white daughter is dying please

https://twitter.com/t_t29055017/status/1052488529014480896?s=19

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Queensland bloc would probably be more homogenous than the NSW or Vic blocs by virtue of the merger. The LNP members that choose to caucus as Nats are probably hard right and don't feel comfortable being in a party that thought Turnbull should be PM.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Because she's racist.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are 22 people in the National Party room, how the gently caress does a "substantial bloc" even exist?

Not enough roughage

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
because you suck at parenting

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

quote:

Libertarian , shooter , Fisherman,Electrician,business owner,anti PC.. Love Free speech especially if it offends!!!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1052696120248303619

https://twitter.com/James_Jeffrey/status/1052691982877745152

Ahaha

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You're no Rudd mate.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-18/labor-mp-sorry-for-linking-followers-to-former-kkk-boss-website/10389908

quote:

NSW Labor MLC Shaoquett Moselmane says his decision to link Twitter followers to a story on the website of a former Ku Klux Klan leader was "a bad mistake".
The tweet, which he posted about 10:00pm last night and subsequently deleted, directed people to the homepage of American white supremacist David Duke.
Mr Duke is a former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard and state politician in Louisiana.
The story was titled: Israel Lobby Controls Australian Foreign Policy — Former Foreign Minister Bob Carr.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You'd think making Barnaby leader again would make the Nats poll worse than their current homophobic leader.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You'd think that constant spills would look bad for the LNP, too.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
haha Dennis the Election Koala is still doing the rounds from random people on Facebook every election. That's such a great little guide.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I don’t feel like embedding the image, but 57% of Channel 7 viewers think anti-white racism is real.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm shocked it's that low, someone must have been spamming the poll.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

look I get the qld / nsw rivalry, but you don't need to compete on everything nsw!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bad news for sky news

quote:

New steps are being taken to ensure all content shown on City Loop screens meets the community’s expectations, following a review undertaken by Transport for Victoria.

City Loop stations are Melbourne’s busiest train stations, with around 90 million passengers using them every year.

It is therefore imperative that content shown on these screens is respectful and appropriate at all times.

Following a series of complaints regarding content shown on City Loop screens, as well as noise complaints, the Andrews Labor Government ordered a review to ensure these community standards were being met.

The review found that while there were clear guidelines in place for traditional paid advertising, these guidelines were not being applied to all forms of paid content.

These guidelines outline that content must not:

depict any subject matter that is offensive
condone or provoke anti-social behaviour

promote or relate to alcohol or gambling
use sexualised images or gender objectification
portray images or events that may cause distress to children
be used to promote a political party, parties or a political cause
use offensive language
demean any person or group on the basis of ethnicity, nationality, race, gender, age, sexual preference, religion or mental or physical disability

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have a question. I think Bell Jar mentioned NAPLAN/standardised testing being poo poo at some point. Can someone link me or just tell me what the good alternative way of teaching and grading large populations is?

I think standardised testing is dumb because it puts individuals in a situation they might not be best equipped to excel in, but I also wonder how you change it to something that lets a genius who is a bad tester shine. I always thought the old system for VCE which was I think 60% class work/essay in your own environment and then the rest was testing was good, but they got rid of it due to cheating and teacher assistance apparently.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Do away with tests entirely IMO

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

It's so loving stupid that they do closed book memory tests for so much stuff given that basically everything at uni is open book because that is how human being get poo poo done.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Make the results private and don't make them a KPI for schools.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I am terrible at long term time management but can ace a test with almost zero prep so I vote 100% open book exam work 0% course work

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

I am terrible at long term time management but can ace a test with almost zero prep so I vote 100% exam work 0% course work

I'm the same. I am great at cramming and working for 18 hours straight while maintaining intensity but I am hosed at managing my time for more than a week.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Make the results private and don't make them a KPI marketing opportunity for schools.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I have a question. I think Bell Jar mentioned NAPLAN/standardised testing being poo poo at some point. Can someone link me or just tell me what the good alternative way of teaching and grading large populations is?

I think standardised testing is dumb because it puts individuals in a situation they might not be best equipped to excel in, but I also wonder how you change it to something that lets a genius who is a bad tester shine. I always thought the old system for VCE which was I think 60% class work/essay in your own environment and then the rest was testing was good, but they got rid of it due to cheating and teacher assistance apparently.

Standardised testing isn't bad on its own, but if you make it the be-all/end-all of measuring a child's development, combine it with pressure on schools to have the highest percentile to attract more students, and underfund schools so that they can't hire enough teachers for the student load, you basically end up with a formula where teachers teach to the test, instead of teaching the actual curriculum. So you end up with a bunch of kids who are really good at one specific test, but miss out on a lot of other skills and development

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm not sure if NAPLAN scores are tied into funding but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'll let you know how naplan goes next year as my daughter will be in grade 3.

bell jar posted:

I'm not sure if NAPLAN scores are tied into funding but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case

it wasn't, but i know dandrews talked about it a few years back and i don't know if they ended up doing it (for vic obvs)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

You can almost guarantee that they matter off the record.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wait a minute are grade 3 kids doing standardised testing rofl

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Before Times posted:

The only reason they exist is for some completely Taylorist bullshit. " If you can't measure it you can't manage it!" Ultimately schools (Public) that are doing well obviously can withstand prolonged budget cuts and lovely results mean the whole (public) project is doomed so sell the grounds to make a B-Double freight depot. You know, sensible economics.

-/-

The true wonder is how anybody can actually tick a box marked LNP after the last month or so. Short of screwing a quoll in Martin Plaza it is hard to see what the clown/muppet contingent can do that would be more damaging to the brand. A brand that includes the Downer months. Turnbull refused to sign a letter endorsing Sharma AND has arranged his trvel plans so he won't be back in Australia until the day after the election. That's some cold poo poo.

-/-

NSW is now the only state to have anti abortion laws.

quote:

New South Wales and Norfolk Island
Since 1 July 2018 within NSW it is illegal to protest within 150m of an abortion service.[23][24]

Since the year 1900, within New South Wales abortion is explicitly listed as a crime under sections 82–84 of the Crimes Act 1900,[25] but the interpretation of the law is subject to the Levine ruling, from R v Wald of 1971,[3] itself derived from the Victorian Menhennitt ruling, which held an abortion to be legal if a doctor had an honest and reasonable belief that, due to 'any economic, social or medical ground or reason', the abortion was necessary to 'preserve the woman involved from serious danger to her life or physical or mental health which the continuance of the pregnancy would entail'.[3]

This was expanded by CES v Superclinics Australia Pty Ltd (1995),[26] which extended the period during which health concerns might be considered from the duration of pregnancy to any period during the woman's life, even after the birth of the child. This arguably precludes any successful prosecutions for illegal abortions. Despite this, in 2006, a doctor, Suman Sood, was convicted of two counts of performing an illegal abortion where she failed to enquire as to whether a lawful reason for performing the abortion did exist.[27][28]

Since 1 July 2016 all NSW laws also apply to the approximately 2,000 residents on Norfolk Island, under both the Norfolk Island Legislation Amendment Act 2015 and the Territories Legislation Amendment Act 2016 – because the Norfolk Legislative Assembly was abolished on 1 July 2015.[29][30][31]

In August 2016, Greens MP Dr Mehreen Faruqi released an exposure draft of the Abortion Law Reform (Miscellaneous Acts Amendment) Bill 2016 to "Repeal sections 82–84 of the Crimes Act, relating to abortion offences; Provide for a 150m safe access zone around abortion clinics and service providers to ensure a patient's right to medical privacy; and Require doctors to disclose conscientious objection at the start of the consultation and refer patients to another doctor who does not have such an objection or to the local Women's Health NSW centre".[32]

On the eve of the introduction of the bill on 23 June 2016, it was removed from the order of business for the following day, despite being first in the order of precedence for months, scheduled and publicly announced.[33] Dr Mehreen Faruqi "introduced the first ever abortion law reform bill into NSW Parliament" on 11 August 2016.[34]

I guess it is now only technically illegal but still on the books.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hey guys we're now involved!

quote:

A forensic doctor implicated in the reported assassination of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi spent three months studying at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine in Melbourne.

Dr Salah al-Tubaigy is accused by Turkey of being a suspect in the reported brutal beheading and dismemberment of the editor and veteran reporter at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul two weeks ago.

The doctor’s visit to the Victorian institution has raised questions about whether restrictions should be placed on which visitors are allowed to learn from local experts.

It is understood Dr al-Tubaigy was an observer at the institute over three months in 2015, after being sponsored by the Saudi government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

He chopped that dude up into little bits.

https://twitter.com/auspolwatch/status/1052712234428846080

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 18, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Wait a minute are grade 3 kids doing standardised testing rofl

yeah its 3, 5, 7 and 9.

from what i know of it it just looks like those westpac maths competitions or whatever we used to do in highschool. nsw uni already does an english comprehension type one that's opt in for grade 2 as well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

he was a cut above the rest of the class.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

Clearly one of Downers operatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hambeet posted:

yeah its 3, 5, 7 and 9.

from what i know of it it just looks like those westpac maths competitions or whatever we used to do in highschool. nsw uni already does an english comprehension type one that's opt in for grade 2 as well.

Yeah that's what's weird about it. I liked doing the UNSW tests as a kid because they were optional and I could show off how much of a smart arse I was. But making it compulsory and tying it into how good the school is, just fuckin weird.

• Locked thread