Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack Horseman is my favorite show of all time but it’s 100% sadguy wank material for existentialist nerds who cannot get their poo poo together.

You're saying it's perfect for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This trend of shows and movies being focus-grouped so that their characters are "relatable to the audience" has gone a wee bit too far

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also Moral Orel did the same shtick as it but better years ago.

Seriously. BoJack always felt like everything was so unearned compared to Moral Orel, whose characters actually grew for better and worse in a realistic way even over the course of one season.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

How long until someone makes a copypasta about how Bojack Horseman can only be understood by a truly depressed person and then everyone will hate the series

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Aaron Paul’s character is loving terrible monkey cheese.

This is true. He is the worst part of the show IMO. He gets a little better in later seasons when they start giving him some development.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Flinger posted:

How long until someone makes a copypasta about how Bojack Horseman can only be understood by a truly depressed person and then everyone will hate the series

Lol yes. But saying “why are they depressed if they’re rich??” Is pretty ignorant.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Big Mouth is pretty good except for the coach character who renders it nearly unwatchable.

Venture Brothers is always great, but I feel like it's been putting its head progressively further up its own rear end for the past two seasons. I like that it has big, long-term plots, but they've been driving the plot forward without remembering that it's supposed to be funny, too. The latest season was fantastic in the art and and story department, but not particularly funny.

VB was at its best in season 2, where it all felt like reskinned TMNT, with the Monarch's cocoon/Technodrome being the focal point.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Lol yes. But saying “why are they depressed if they’re rich??” Is pretty ignorant.

Obv its the money making them depressed. They should give me their money, so they can be happy and poor and I can be "depressed"* and rich for them.

*Actually having the time of my goddamn life traveling and doing poo poo without having the burden of money over my head and having to kill myself to profit some CEO

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Can I just say something I miss about old Simpsons was the fact that Skinner was not to be hosed with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbGio8FSdzY

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

SirSamVimes posted:

Can I just say something I miss about old Simpsons was the fact that Skinner was not to be hosed with?

He's like some sort of non giving up... school guy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I never meant that if you’re talking about my post. I just found it un-relatable even as someone that’s had depression. It just got frustrating to watch by the end of the newest season.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

Admittedly I guess I’m just being a salty poor depressed person.:smith:

I don’t really care for the silly stuff in the show either. Aaron Paul’s character is loving terrible monkey cheese.

Todd's home built sex bot that climbs the corporate ranks is better than anything Simpsons has done last ten years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SirPablo posted:

Todd's home built sex bot that climbs the corporate ranks is better than anything Simpsons has done last ten years.

I won’t argue with that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SirPablo posted:

I hated that part all I wanted was more sad bad horse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

Henry Fondle a Vincent Adultman-level character.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like principal and the pauper really helped kill it. Before that, as far as we knew, he was still a war hero. After that, we knew he wasn't, so he turned into more of a pushover and punchline

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

*Actually having the time of my goddamn life traveling and doing poo poo without having the burden of money over my head and having to kill myself to profit some CEO

Hmm yes lottery winners are known for being happy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Bojack's depression maybe just comes from 3 places:

-A family history of depression/abusive behavior
-Failing to maintain, recreate or surpass the success of his Horsin' Around days.
-He turned his back on people he cared about in order to be or keep being famous.

Success didn't erase the first, attempting the second didn't give it back to him, and doing the third makes him think he doesn't deserve it anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like principal and the pauper really helped kill it. Before that, as far as we knew, he was still a war hero. After that, we knew he wasn't, so he turned into more of a pushover and punchline

I mean, he was characterized as a loser nerd pretty early on

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm yes lottery winners are known for being happy

money might not make you happy but being poor is a loving misery you dumb rear end in a top hat

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Improbable Lobster posted:

I mean, he was characterized as a loser nerd pretty early on

He was this amusing mixture of loser nerd but also somewhat terrifying but they dropped everything except loser nerd.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SirSamVimes posted:

He was this amusing mixture of loser nerd but also somewhat terrifying but they dropped everything except loser nerd.

Loser nerd, war hero and Norman Bates rolled into the best character on the show, yes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Skinner as a fussy, authoritarian, nerdy Norman Bates having flashbacks to trivial dramas in war was good. He was competent and not to be hosed with.

After introducing his mother he slowly became nothing but a weenie.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah war hero Skinner was great. One of my favourite flashbacks was when his platoon all had a good laugh over the "up with mini skirts" shirt, even though he didn't quite understand it.

Is he even still a Vietnam vet? I'm shocked they've kept going with Grandpa being a WWII vet given that there aren't many real ones left and it means he had to have had modern Simpsons Homer when he was like 60.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I started thinking about that episode where Burns buys them a giant Xipe Totec(?) head and had a good chortle, even though it was absurd.

Absurd and daft can be cool and funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunken Baker posted:

I started thinking about that episode where Burns buys them a giant Xipe Totec(?) head and had a good chortle, even though it was absurd.

Absurd and daft can be cool and funny.

And just like that weird expensive thing your aunt bought your family for Xmas that one time to show off, it ends up nearly in the basement from that point on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've moved around between countries quite a lot in Southeast Asia and Skinner's monologue about his time in a Vietnamese POW camp resonates deeply with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxabSYFs88

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bojack Horseman is okay but I personally found the whole depressed rich people thing to get obnoxious pretty quick. The characters are all extremely unlikable.

It’s not just rich. Hollywood fame transcends money. This is a show about a typical washout celebrity not about money.

Celebrities are a different breed from mere wealthy people. Agreed though the next season needs to be the last.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've moved around between countries quite a lot in Southeast Asia and Skinner's monologue about his time in a Vietnamese POW camp resonates deeply with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxabSYFs88

Now compare that bit which is absolutely brilliant to this one: https://youtu.be/6LZlD76DD3M

The first clip tells but only hints and hence it's so amusing. The joke from season 12 ruins that and gets stupid with the humor.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DropsySufferer posted:

It’s not just rich. Hollywood fame transcends money. This is a show about a typical washout celebrity not about money.

Celebrities are a different breed from mere wealthy people. Agreed though the next season needs to be the last.

your depression doesn't just go away because you're rich, and bojack has done tons of awful things repeatedly and that was a big arc of the last 2 seasons: just because you feel bad doesn't mean you get absolved of what you did, you need to STOP doing bad things, and bojack can't. there is tons of things you can relate to, death, anxiety, depression, feeling alone, casual sex , alcohol abuse, masculinity and how men rely on women to be their 2nd mommies, etc. . .

the funeral episode was so good, and it just kept getting bleaker and bleaker.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

more skinner as an actual good character clips imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWnp0zs2iU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
And of course

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Have we had an episode where Bart starts vaping? Seems like something they would do

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Glumslinger posted:

Have we had an episode where Bart starts vaping? Seems like something they would do

Three years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETTRmklNWX0

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Glumslinger posted:

yep and that was years ago and somehow it's even worse now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Does Milhouse have a sister now? :lol:

Also, I still remember when Homer threatened to make Bart smoke the entire rooms worth of stolen cigarettes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BdBAVBBpiA

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

The Glumslinger posted:

Does Milhouse have a sister now? :lol:

Also, I still remember when Homer threatened to make Bart smoke the entire rooms worth of stolen cigarettes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BdBAVBBpiA

"let me assure all of you smokers that there will be no shortage of cigarettes"

"HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!?!"

lmao

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

jesus christq

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy