Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I'll buy that Hitchens could at least be aggressive in his not-goodness. Dude just like, hangs back and tackles people instead of heading towards a gap or having the ability to read and react in a productive way.

I don't remember if I actually posted it here but the guy is like a midrange safety now. His job is to not let people get too terribly far down the field, but he doesn't actually try to stop anyone anywhere near the line.

I think you guys are going to win the west but goddamn I'm looking forward to our rematch, especially if Bosa is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

a neat cape posted:

I think you guys are going to win the west but goddamn I'm looking forward to our rematch, especially if Bosa is back

Hell, same.

It's gonna be really cool to see Bosa go up directly against Mahomes apparent inability to be pressured or sacked.

The longer he plays the game the further toward PERFECT OFFENSE the Chiefs push both teams playing on any given day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isnt Sutton the guy who keeps having Justin Houston drop back into coverage?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Sutton the guy who keeps having Justin Houston drop back into coverage?

It's a big problem with all 3-4 defenses, not just the Chiefs. You're seeing more 4 wide sets, pass-catching TEs and RBs than ever before, and sooner or later, numbers dictate that there's gonna be bad matches on LBs, especially when you have an extra one on the field.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bengals have 15 players on there Wednesday injury report and anywhere between 10 and 12 starters depending on how you qualify it.

They traditionally do better against teams that have good offenses and weak defenses then vice versa but holyshit that is an injury report

I suppose hypothetically they could beat Kansas City but if any of you want to bet the over on points scored I'd probably recommend it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I suppose hypothetically they could beat Kansas City but if any of you want to bet the over on points scored I'd probably recommend it.

This is generally true in any game Kansas City is involved in no matter the injuries for what it's worth.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The number was 58 I think in the NE game that had 83.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kiimo posted:

The number was 58 I think in the NE game that had 83.

It was 60.

tbh the OU is kinda irrelevant just take the over.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

This is generally true in any game Kansas City is involved in no matter the injuries for what it's worth.

Oh, I'm aware, and also Cincinnati is habitually bad defending young quarterbacks, mobile quarterbacks, and offenses that tend to target the intermediate middle of the field. Good thing the Kansas City team doesn't have any of that. :v:

I'm going to consider anything less than 50 offensive points a victory for our defense this Sunday.

Andy also tends to feast on teams that can't manage an interior pass rush, but I don't anticipate them keeping up to that extent. If the Bengals don't do their typical poo poo the bed Primetime football thing I could see them putting up a ton of points but not that many.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh, I'm aware, and also Cincinnati is habitually bad defending young quarterbacks, mobile quarterbacks, and offenses that tend to target the intermediate middle of the field. Good thing the Kansas City team doesn't have any of that. :v:

I'm going to consider anything less than 50 offensive points a victory for our defense this Sunday.

Andy also tends to feast on teams that can't manage an interior pass rush, but I don't anticipate them keeping up to that extent. If the Bengals don't do their typical poo poo the bed Primetime football thing I could see them putting up a ton of points but not that many.

We're obviously headed towards a completely inexplicable 10-6 game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

After discussing the players' skill level ad nauseum for six weeks we have determined it's the scheme. Sutton has to go. Whatever he's attempting to do is not working. Whether that's because he can't communicate, the players aren't listening or the players can't do what he's asking, or a combo of all three, it's not working and he's the common denominator.

Hitchens and Fuller played great for other teams last year.

The Walrus once hired his OL coach as DC

I don't think Sutton is gonna get canned any time soon

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the Bengals somehow hold the Kansas City Chiefs to ten or fewer points on Sunday I will rejoin the Catholic Church and go to church every Sunday for the rest of my life. :toxx:

I'm not even going to qualify that, I don't care how it happens.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the League should Calvinball more often, even if it is select games like a Superbowl or Pro Bowl. Hire a Basketball Coach as OC. Suplexes and wrestling moves permissible. Make all O Lineman eligible receivers. Passing allowed in any direction by any player. Random Tiger. Giant Off Road Death Machine. Etc.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Incidentally the Chiefs fans are hard at work creating a name for the defense.

Currently in the lead: The Red Carpet

Also-rans:

Greatest Ho on Turf
Sultans of Suck
Legion of Gloom
The Burnt Ends
The Cover-Who Defense
KC and the Touchdown Band
Yackety No Sacks

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grittybeard posted:

Like that's hard, all you need to do is goatse Jeff Passan after he doesn't vote for Jeff Bagwell getting into the hall of fame. Then he calls your mom looking for you.

I'm inordinately proud of my very small part of this whole Gruden site and being a jerk and saying "hey maybe try this," after Azhais thought he was done with his funny little joke that we'd be the only ones to ever look at.

I think it was Jeff Pearlman and not Jeff Passan, but I might be flipping two stories here

E: lmao at the Burnt Ends, 100% on board with that

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unironically in favor of Burnt Ends, but most of those are gold.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't really mention that most of the uh...grittier of football fans in KC in true midwest fashion are currently voting for a simpler name.

Queefense.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the where front

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah Burnt Ends is great!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
A lot of those are clever, but Burnt Ends is clever and very KC. So it shall be.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Five minutes of reading a Wikipedia article about the US Civil War around Kansas City leads me to believe the Chiefs defense should be referred to as The Army of Missouri.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

kiimo posted:

Chiefs fans are currently caught up in the ground swell of the insanely awesome idea of hiring former Chief Jack Del Rio as defensive coordinator to replace Bob Sutton when he is fired any day now.

Tell me why this isn't a great idea.

Even including this

I'm all for it but my hopes and dreams are that Bowles will get fired soon leading to him getting back together with Andey
maybe Hitchens doesn't hit the gaps cause Bob says NO?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's a big problem with all 3-4 defenses, not just the Chiefs. You're seeing more 4 wide sets, pass-catching TEs and RBs than ever before, and sooner or later, numbers dictate that there's gonna be bad matches on LBs, especially when you have an extra one on the field.

Is it really a problem, though? If you've got a guy who draws a lot of attention you can really gently caress with blocking schemes- you can get guys blocking air, discourage teams from committing too much attention to a guy who might not come, etc., and you can facilitate blitzes. There are guys like James Harrison who only rushed like 60-70% of his passing down snaps, and I think there's an argument to be made he really didn't suffer for it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Zone coverage defenses aren't faring well in the new NFL. I mean, Brady solved the 3-4 defense, soft zone coverage like 14 years ago, but the newer offensive schemes that do a lot of RPO just shred zone coverage

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
RPOs are way down this year, everyone is doing spread concepts with mesh routing or whatever it’s called

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The thing that announcers are told to bring up X times per minute isn't actually what's happening on the field most frequently.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So with Derek Anderson starting, Kelvin Benjamin is gonna have a great game since in all of his starts with Carolina, 29% of Anderson's TD passes were to Benjamin, therefore

Anderson is going to slip on a shower mat and Peterman is still gonna start

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Why has Buffalo not signed another quarterback?

Keep Peterman around as an emergency guy for a week or two while the new guy learns the offense a little, I'm fine with that. But outside of actual emergencies there is absolutely no way this man should ever see the field again.

e: I mean, I'd rather play Ryan Lindley and it isn't particularly close. Which is an amazing thing to say.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Chiefs fans are currently caught up in the ground swell of the insanely awesome idea of hiring former Chief Jack Del Rio as defensive coordinator to replace Bob Sutton when he is fired any day now.

Tell me why this isn't a great idea.

Even including this

He hasn’t been a dc since 2002, unless I’m forgetting something after Jacksonville.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Suck for [checks notes] Justin Herbert?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

He hasn’t been a dc since 2002, unless I’m forgetting something after Jacksonville.
He was DC in Denver before Wade came in. This was before/leading up to his stint with the Raiders.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Finger Prince posted:

Five minutes of reading a Wikipedia article about the US Civil War around Kansas City leads me to believe the Chiefs defense should be referred to as The Army of Missouri.

Is Andy Reid going to flee to Mexico after their first round exit?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It’s really sad when the parents can’t let go.

quote:

Joey Bosa (foot) is on track to return "in a few weeks."

The news comes from Bosa's father, former NFL defensive end John Bosa. The team originally appeared to be targeting a Week 9 return following their bye, and it does not sound like Bosa has experienced any setbacks. The Chargers' defense has taken a step forward the last couple weeks, and getting back perhaps their best player will only help as they make a playoff push.

He just saw him. He was in the backyard. He was training and getting ready. You’ll see.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is Andy Reid going to flee to Mexico after their first round exit?

Maybe Bob Sutton will leave to coach the Mexico City expansion with half the Chiefs defensive staff?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sports Illustrated is doing a Crime Podcast with an investigator who did a private investigation in the death of Steve McNair. There's only one episode out and I haven't listened to it yet but it might be good. It's called "Fall of a Titan".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Keep Peterman around as an emergency guy for a week or two while the new guy learns the offense a little, I'm fine with that. But outside of actual emergencies there is absolutely no way this man should ever see the field again.

e: I mean, I'd rather play Ryan Lindley and it isn't particularly close. Which is an amazing thing to say.

shade.gif

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

He just saw him. He was in the backyard. He was training and getting ready. You’ll see.

It's a miracle he ever got to play an NFL snap. His younger brother was less fortunate. RIP Bosa family.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I'll buy that Hitchens could at least be aggressive in his not-goodness. Dude just like, hangs back and tackles people instead of heading towards a gap or having the ability to read and react in a productive way.

I don't remember if I actually posted it here but the guy is like a midrange safety now. His job is to not let people get too terribly far down the field, but he doesn't actually try to stop anyone anywhere near the line.

This is pretty much exactly what Manti T'eo used to do when he was with the Chargers. Racks up a lot of tackle numbers but almost all of them are like 5+ yards down the field on run plays and none of them are genuinely worthwhile plays. It's a tough situation to be in to have ILBs who are limited in that respect.

In general with defenses, it seems like the best course of action is to, more or less, just keep things simple and put your players in a position where they can maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, without making them think too much about what they're trying to do. It's why Wade Phillips, among others, has been successful since basically forever.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Zone coverage defenses aren't faring well in the new NFL. I mean, Brady solved the 3-4 defense, soft zone coverage like 14 years ago, but the newer offensive schemes that do a lot of RPO just shred zone coverage

Zone coverage doesn't fare very well when you're playing against offenses that have A): good offensive lines that can hold off the pass rush and B): when the offense in question has their WRs run a ton of option routes so the QB can find the WRs inside the holes in the coverage. The Patriots' offense has pretty much been that since Brady took over, and there's a lot of teams with conceptually similar concepts playing in today's NFL, alongside the usual spread stuff. The Chargers for sure do a lot of similar passing concepts, and I believe the Steelers and Browns both do as well. (and most of the OCs of those teams come from the same Erdhart-Perkins offensive branch, for the most part. I know Todd Haley does, since he coached under Charlies Weis and Ken Whisenhunt among others)

In order for it to work you have to have a freakishly talented front 7 to get by with mainly zone coverage, like what the Panthers had 3-4 years ago.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Here's a deeper dive on Seattle's offensive line improvement.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/seahawks-offensive-line-turnaround-proves-the-value-of-actual-coaching/

I'm still not sure how much of it has to do with coaching and how much has to do with improved line/RB health and a full year of Duane Brown, but the level of improvement in Germain Ifedi and JR Sweezy has been undeniable. DJ Fluker has been a fantastic pickup so far too, which...who saw that coming? Very happy the team isn't running out Luke Joeckel and Rees Odihambo anymore. But I have a hard time seeing any of that gelling without Solari's coaching.

Anyway, have fun with Tom Cable, Raiders fans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Save some meatloaf for Joey, you know it's his favorite. He's going to be so hungry!

*glances at empty chair*
*eats in silence*

• Locked thread