Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spergatory posted:

This is such a niche item though. Like the conditions for a correct idol play are pretty narrow, but the conditions for an idol nullifier are even narrower.

Yea, I highly doubt it will come into play.

You gotta pick the tribal an idol is going to get played at AND pick who it will be played on. Almost impossible to achieve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well I posted this in the wrong thread first, but might as well paste it over...

Odd start... they clearly had a challenge setup, but then also were preparing for the quit with the swap.

Bi probably told them before they left camp but by then the challenge had been built so they just accelerated the game by a week since the swap only takes buffs

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I hate Nick, but like I also love him? He's so transparently slimy. Nothing he's doing seems like it should be working, and yet... it is. And it's equal parts infuriating and fascinating.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

sprained her MCL which if she doesn't rest/rehab properly will basically end her career

Oh yikes, MCL tears are gnarly.

Interesting that Jeff called it a quit and not a medevac though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

drat gabby you gotta get :therapy:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Oh yikes, MCL tears are gnarly.

Interesting that Jeff called it a quit and not a medevac though.

A medevac will only be called if medical decides that continuing in the game could endanger your life. Bi made the decision to pull herself from the game, ergo, she did technically quit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
WOW, Gabby was 100% the hero of that challenge. She was directing everyone about as perfectly as you can; calm, clear, and concise. She never once lost her cool through the whole thing. I am legit impressed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

WOW, Gabby was 100% the hero of that challenge. She was directing everyone about as perfectly as you can; calm, clear, and concise. She never once lost her cool through the whole thing. I am legit impressed.

had the exact same thought, gabby absolutely owned that challenge

though it probably helped having John and Dan as the wheel pushers as well, they might be the two most athletic guys out there right now

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Spergatory posted:

I hate Nick, but like I also love him? He's so transparently slimy. Nothing he's doing seems like it should be working, and yet... it is. And it's equal parts infuriating and fascinating.

I can’t wait to see what happens when multiple people realize they are in alliances with him, but with different names to divide them. It’s like the trope where someone tries to attend two dinners at the same time

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Angelina also killed it. She was remarkably chill for being so far behind and with Natalie

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Spergatory posted:

A medevac will only be called if medical decides that continuing in the game could endanger your life. Bi made the decision to pull herself from the game, ergo, she did technically quit.

Yeah that's makes sense, sucks for her though. It kinda reminds me of Dana Lambert from Philippines that had some stomach problems or whatever but wasn't totally medevaced.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shneak posted:

Angelina also killed it. She was remarkably chill for being so far behind and with Natalie

:hai:

Honestly Kara wasn't bad either she just wasn't good enough

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Come on, Davey! Play your idol and send Alec home, thus explaining his tiny pathetic edit and general bitterness and willingness to break his NDA.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Is this the first time Alec has spoken? He's the least memorable of the Goliath dudes.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I can't be the only one to hate Natalia with a burning passion right??

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

Is this the first time Alec has spoken? He's the least memorable of the Goliath dudes.

I'd assume that has something to do with

Spergatory posted:

Come on, Davey! Play your idol and send Alec home, thus explaining his tiny pathetic edit and general bitterness and willingness to break his NDA.

this

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Shneak posted:

Seems like you aren't!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shneak posted:

I kinda like her but it prob just because she's very pretty. She's not doing so great here and I was chewing on something crunchy and missed what said to Davie before she left shelter.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

but seriously Alec would have to be suicidal to give Davids control of the tribe after this council. this might have been different if they didn't have Carl coming in

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

WAIT NEVER MIND "I'M EXCITED TO PLAY" IS A DEATH SENTENCE

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
WHY ARE YOU SMILING?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hahahahahaha

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
For some reason she doesn't look as happy as she said she would be.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Good tribal

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:laffo:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was an incredibly stupid play but it was great for TV

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, not gonna lie; that was a pretty fantastic exit, and both a perfect capper to her character and an illustration of exactly why they voted her out.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I feel like that was more of a personal move than a game move. They really seemed to dislike each other

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm stuck in this lovely motel watching this on a 24-in tv that is stuck in a goofy aspect ratio. This has really done some bad favors to body types on these contestants.

I watched a few eps of the NZ version that co-worker had brought with him (like 500 gigs of survivor on a hdd, no movies). Between the host being a ringer for Gomer Pyle and my knee jerk infatuation with Eve, I am extremely conflicted watching this show.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
The next returnee season just needs to be a tribe of people that are all bossy and don't want to work

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

WAIT NEVER MIND "I'M EXCITED TO PLAY" IS A DEATH SENTENCE

nailed it

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

IcePhoenix posted:

That was an incredibly stupid play but it was great for TV

Alec right now:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That seemed like an incredibly stupid move for Alec. Like ok, Natalia brought it on herself a bit and probably isn't a great long term ally. But you had an easy option there. Do what she wants and vote out Cowgirl, keep Davey as your ally, and play it from there. Instead you blindside Kara, give up the majority to the Davids, and set the precedent to everyone that you're the backstabby player. I guess he's the guy who got banned or something for breaking the NDA rules? I imagine he's gonna go out ugly and be really bitter. He seem dumb and I hope it comes back on him.

I didn't like Natalia but I do feel like she had the potential for some more crazy and angry based on that. Ah well. At least I don't have to try and tell her and Angelina apart anymore.

I'm all in on the Slamtown City Council aka Team Social Anxiety. They even got Fat Cop. And... whatshername. The invisible one. I both can't believe and am not remotely surprised that Christian REALLY did ask to be comptroller.

The Idol Nullifier could be huge in the right situation but we'll just have to wait and see. Oddly he's in the right position to play it well with Davey. Form a F2, let Davey be confident he has the idol to get him to F3, then boot him at F4. But who knows if anything plays out right to make that kind of move possible? Still its a nice little wrinkle in the game that doesn't overpower Carl.

I'm going to be heartbroken if Nick's last episode isn't half a dozen people sharing their named alliances and him trying to talk his way out of it. I kind of hope he just screws up when his brain turns to mush and does air guitar with Christian and Mason Dixon with Hollywood Guy.

I get why Bi's called "a quit" since she made the choice to leave, not the doctor. But Jeff didn't have to sound so contemptuous about it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
What's this "breaking NDA" story I keep hearing?

And yeah, Alec dumb.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

And yeah, Alec dumb.

he had a picture of himself and Kara (look at the op for the two halves of the pic) on social media before the season started

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MisterZimbu posted:

And yeah, Alec dumb.

My impression is that he spoiled that he was in the cast before the premiere and that's against the contract they sign so he got his money taken away and banned from the finale/reunion.

That seems a tad harsh but then again somehow every other Survivor for 30+ seasons has managed to not do it and he's clearly at least half an idiot.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love Natalias slow building dread on whats about to happen.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's amazing with the David coming into their tribe Alec went from having an easy 3-2 advantage for 2 votes to now being at a 2-3 disadvantage without any trust from the other Goliath...

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
On one hand, I feel the editing gave away the ending with Kara and Natalia's constant overconfident confessionals. On the other hand we had like 10 episodes in a row during Ghost Island of the Naviti alliance being overconfident and then getting exactly what they wanted anyway so I have officially been worn down into believing overconfident people and thus was pleasantly surprised by the vote! It definitely makes no sense on Alec's behalf though.

By the way, even though I think I've already whined about this in this thread pre-season, I hate the idol nullifier twist! Someone earlier said that while an idol has to be played exactly right, a nullifier has to be played even *more* exactly right, and while that is technically true it misses the point that a misplayed idol is a much bigger deal than a misplayed nullifier. If I'm in the minority and have an idol, there's a huge amount of strategy involved in deciding who to tell, who to play it on, who to put the minority's votes on, how to escape a vote split, etc. If everything goes right, the minority can take out a huge target in the majority, but if the idol is misplayed the minority alliance still loses a member and loses the idol.

On the other hand, if I'm in the majority and have a nullifier, there is almost no strategy involved. If my majority alliance wants Player X out then we pile all of the votes on X, play the nullifier on X, and X goes home regardless of whether X or any of X's allies has or plays an idol. There's no exciting maneuvering through vote splits, no need to guess who has what or who is playing what or where other votes will go. Sure, you probably want to save it on someone who *does* have the idol to maximize it's usefulness, but because there is no downside to misplaying it it's really just a suspense-removing silver bullet for the majority that is completely useless in the hands of the minority.

Also note that a smart majority can defend against an idol (vote splitting, bluffing where votes are going, etc.). A smart minority has no realistic way to defend against a nullifier other than pretend they don't have an idol (and, even then, the majority should probably just use the nullifier anyway since there's no punishment for playing it incorrectly).

The fact that only Carl knows about the existence of the nullifier makes things even worse. Not only do you have an advantage in the game that is bad from a TV perspective (only benefits the majority and removes the suspense out of whatever vote its played in), it's also completely unfair from a game perspective. The rules of the idol state that if played any votes cast against that player will not count; there's no "...unless someone uses a secret power that you have no way of knowing about!" It'd be like playing poker, going all in on a royal flush, and learning "surprise! in this deck we introduce a secret bonus hand that actually beats royal flush, so you actually lose everything!"

And on top of all of that, these fears are not purely theoretical. One of the recent Australian Survivor seasons had a very similar twist and (spoilers about how it worked out, I'm removing the names of the players involved just to be safe) a scrappy, exciting underdog found an idol, excitedly played it at exactly the right time to take out the leader of the smug majority alliance, who ended up nullifying the idol with a secret power the idol-player had no knowledge existed, immediately deflating the moment and removing all excitement and strategy from the vote. The scrappy underdog went home despite playing the idol, and the smug majority lived to smug another day.

Anyway, I know this is a Wendy's drive through, so I'll wrap things up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah I have no idea why Alec flipped. Good TV, though, and Natalya was unpleasant to be sure.

Speaking of which, I hope Natalie gets the boot soon-ish. I'm wondering about the degree to which her edit is painting a caricature, because she's being made to look completely incapable of positive interaction.