Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hate Floats, an episode with a lot of great bits and lines, but also a lot of awkwardness

"We're going to get our asses kicked, we didn't have a breakfast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Assassinanny 911, a good episode(especially everything Hunter says), but man is the "Hank crushing on Molotov" plot really awkward and honestly not all that funny either(except for the "teepee" gag)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every time I see the word parkour, I think "Pi Wi, use your parkour".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Not directly thread relevant but Parkour makes me think of that scene from Punisher War Zone where a group of criminals are doing that stuff and as one of them is mid air he gets blown up by a rocket shot by Frank Castle

Which is honestly the kind of thing this show would probably do if it had the opportunity

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They were just practicing and Frank blew them up because they were trespassing and because of noise complaints

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

twistedmentat posted:

The Office's parkour cold open always takes this place for me. Although lately that bit from the Pickle Rick episode is overtaking it, I'm embarrassed to say.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Every time I see parkour or hear someone say it, I can only hear it in St. Cloud's voice. I have one cat who likes to run out of our finished basement by heading toward the stairs, then leaping onto one of the walls (the walls of the corner where the stairs are located are carpeted), then running on that wall to the next one , then running on that wall to the landing on the stairs before finishing the run on the stairs. Whenever I see this, I actually mutter, St. Cloud-style, "par-koooouuuuuurrrr!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
more like purr-cour

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

more like purr-cour

... drat you, sir.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tarlibone posted:

Every time I see parkour or hear someone say it, I can only hear it in St. Cloud's voice. I have one cat who likes to run out of our finished basement by heading toward the stairs, then leaping onto one of the walls (the walls of the corner where the stairs are located are carpeted), then running on that wall to the next one , then running on that wall to the landing on the stairs before finishing the run on the stairs. Whenever I see this, I actually mutter, St. Cloud-style, "par-koooouuuuuurrrr!"

That sounds impressive.

It is amazing how pop culture stuff can be so closely associated with stuff. Like I can't hear "do the hustle" (which is a lot because its on the random as gently caress playlist they have at work) without thinking of Fry dancing to it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

That sounds impressive.

It is amazing how pop culture stuff can be so closely associated with stuff. Like I can't hear "do the hustle" (which is a lot because its on the random as gently caress playlist they have at work) without thinking of Fry dancing to it

Likewise, I can't hear someone say "Have you heard of _____?" without my brain answering in Fry's voice, "I've not-heard of it." (For those unfamiliar with the scene, the way in which Fry emphasizes the word "not" makes it sound like not-hearing about something is merely one of many various kinds of ways in which someone can be said to have heard of something. It's like not-hearing about something is almost as good as having heard about it.) ((OK, that was wordy... try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWgGKFWW1E))

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

twistedmentat posted:

That sounds impressive.

Ah yes, I too remember him beseeching the gods for tribute in the form of a trans am. ( Can't remember if that's the car they talk about. It's been years since I saw that episode.)

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

S5E2: Venture Libre

Venturestein is explaining his deal to Dr. Venture and the first two frankensteins who blow themselves up are dead clones of Hank and Dean oh my god that's amazing ahahahaha.

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Strabo4 posted:

S5E2: Venture Libre

Venturestein is explaining his deal to Dr. Venture and the first two frankensteins who blow themselves up are dead clones of Hank and Dean oh my god that's amazing ahahahaha.

What? I didn't notice that! Better slide in the ol' Blu-Ray....

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sataere posted:

Ah yes, I too remember him beseeching the gods for tribute in the form of a trans am. ( Can't remember if that's the car they talk about. It's been years since I saw that episode.)

That's exactly it.

The book they're reading from is Ancient Dances of the Bronx.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

What? I didn't notice that! Better slide in the ol' Blu-Ray....

the Scooby Doo guys are in there too.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yup they are part of A.R.G.H. so at least they didn’t blow up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

the Scooby Doo guys are in there too.

Those guys I saw. I think Sonny-stein features prominently in the episode. Prominently for one of the steins, anyway.

And can we take a moment to appreciate that in addition to turning "arch" into a verb that means "to perform actions of aggression against one's sworn enemy," they also turned "-stein" into a suffix with a distinct meaning? We all know what Hank-stein, Dean-stein, Ted-stein, Sonny-stein, etc. means.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

tarlibone posted:

Those guys I saw. I think Sonny-stein features prominently in the episode. Prominently for one of the steins, anyway.

And can we take a moment to appreciate that in addition to turning "arch" into a verb that means "to perform actions of aggression against one's sworn enemy," they also turned "-stein" into a suffix with a distinct meaning? We all know what Hank-stein, Dean-stein, Ted-stein, Sonny-stein, etc. means.

Mary Shelley did that. Jesus Christ.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait, the creator of Frankenhole? Man, I thought I was the only one who liked that show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Lord Frisk posted:

Mary Shelley did that. Jesus Christ.

No, she didn't.

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, the creator of Frankenhole? Man, I thought I was the only one who liked that show.

You weren't the only one. I didn't watch it for a while, but after the first episode, I binged as many as I could. I think it was still going up in quality when it was cancelled.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I like the use of the name Dracula as an eponym.

"thirstier than a sack full of Draculas."

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm rewatching all the episodes from this season that I DVRd but didn't watch because of the streaming and I noticed that Dr. Z has some of the pictures he took with Sergeant Hatred in season three up on his wall.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

White Coke posted:

I'm rewatching all the episodes from this season that I DVRd but didn't watch because of the streaming and I noticed that Dr. Z has some of the pictures he took with Sergeant Hatred in season three up on his wall.

Dr Z is the best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TK-42-1 posted:

Dr Z is the best.

Scorpions?? Can I drop Scorpions on him?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mantis42 posted:

Shelly was man, you philistines!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My Dr. Z tee just arrived and it looks super awesome on the actual shirt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want one of him yelling BLUNDERER!!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I want one of him yelling BLUNDERER!!!

Why? That wouldn't make sense. Dr. Z yells "bungler."

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

twistedmentat posted:

That's exactly it.

The book they're reading from is Ancient Dances of the Bronx.

I remember when my kid discovered Futurama on the DVR when he was in third or fourth grade. Couldn't decide if I should censor him, so I just let him watch it. Now he's in eighth grade and we watch Venture Bros together.

I have been watching this show since before he was born. :v:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mantis42 posted:

Nah man, I liked it too. Kind of wish it had gotten another season or two.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

tarlibone posted:

lol

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

A friend just told me about a comic con panel where Dino just kept ripping on Doc Hammer calling him a poser with fake hair. I can't find it, anyone know if it's online?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tarlibone posted:

No, she didn't.

The "Name-stein" usage is pretty obvious if you're even vaguely aware of Frakenstein. I don't see anything special being done here with the use of language, it's not like they're inventing new vernacular. It's mildly clever, somewhere in between Frankenberry and Frank N Furter.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

tarlibone posted:

Why? That wouldn't make sense. Dr. Z yells "bungler."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSN7oalIec

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

The "Name-stein" usage is pretty obvious if you're even vaguely aware of Frakenstein. I don't see anything special being done here with the use of language, it's not like they're inventing new vernacular. It's mildly clever, somewhere in between Frankenberry and Frank N Furter.

Obvious? Maybe. But Mary Shelley didn't do it, mainly because "Frankenstein" wasn't the name she gave to some dude named Franken who was reanimated by the book's titular mad scientist. And, I'm not sure anyone else prior to this show ever used "X-stein" to describe someone, X, who had been reanimated. I could be wrong about that, though; my knowledge of science fiction horror is pretty limited.

Well, I stand corrected. But, I do wonder when he switched over, because he says "bungler" now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_B_-gbo50&t=16s

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In his long and illustrious career, Dr. Z has been plagued by BOTH bunglers and blunderers, and given the chance I'm sure he would be happy to explain the differences to you in excruciating detail.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tendales posted:

In his long and illustrious career, Dr. Z has been plagued by BOTH bunglers and blunderers, and given the chance I'm sure he would be happy to explain the differences to you in excruciating detail.
This is just the best, and I can't help but hear it in his voice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's Venturestein's Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

It's Venturestein's Monster.

I could hear Hank saying this for some reason.

Tendales posted:

LividLiquid posted:

This is just the best, and I can't help but hear it in his voice.

... I kinda want to hear him explain it. Hopefully with one of those wonderful synth-based musical backgrounds like the one heard at the title card in the Blunderer video.

I'm glad they gave Dr. Z some serious air time this season. He's always been pretty cool in his previous, brief appearances, but this season, he really shined. Shone? Is it shined or shone? Whatever. He was brilliant.