Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

A leadership challenge this week is unlikely. But in a tactic similar to the one used by Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton in his botched attempt to replace Malcolm Turnbull, a substantial bloc of aggrieved Nationals MPs are attempting to create a crisis around Mr McCormack's leadership.

And if it follows the pattern of the Turnbull spill who is the third party that will get voted in instead of The Beetroot?
Hopefully;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love that the ultra-rich social left are about to paradrop one of their own into parliament and essentially hold the balance of the house.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I love that the ultra-rich social left are about to paradrop one of their own into parliament and essentially hold the balance of the house.

Being to the right of the Liberal Party Room doesn't make her social left. And she's still going to green light Morrison's crushing austerity policies.

Also I assume Morrison will try to schedule the election for after the budget, so he can pork barrel the entire country and then attach a whole bunch of unpalatable bullshit to the actual legislation so the ALP can't pass it, so they can do none of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Being to the right of the Liberal Party Room doesn't make her social left. And she's still going to green light Morrison's crushing austerity policies.

Also I assume Morrison will try to schedule the election for after the budget, so he can pork barrel the entire country and then attach a whole bunch of unpalatable bullshit to the actual legislation so the ALP can't pass it, so they can do none of it.

Openly gay candidate is socially left in Australia. She's a neolib dickhead, but she's not right wing on race etc.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

bell jar posted:

Yeah that's what's weird about it. I liked doing the UNSW tests as a kid because they were optional and I could show off how much of a smart arse I was. But making it compulsory and tying it into how good the school is, just fuckin weird.
i got 100% on the english test twice and got two gold medals and an invite to the unsw smart kid camp :smug: (the unsw smart kid camp ruled)

then i chose to do my undergrad at unsw because i thought they might recognise me and give me basic support for my various disabilities so that i could shine as a tertiary student like i'd shone as a primary student, spoiler: they didn't

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
NAPLAN is a mediocre tool for apples being used as a genuine metric for oranges.

Schools can try to use the data in positive ways, e.g. comparing a cohort's percentile position from test to test to see if they are remaining steady, going down (oh poo poo maybe we're doing something wrong), or going up (our teaching practices are working). It's kinda like those height-weight charts for kids that are hopefully highlighting on a metric issues like failure to thrive or obesity/nutrition education for the family, but they can also be thrown off by very natural and non-relevant things like timing of a growth spurt and have to be taken in consideration with all other info.

Using the same-year percentiles for school-vs-school comparison is pointless as it's mostly just going to confirm socioeconomic states than anything about the quality of schooling.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Openly gay candidate is socially left in Australia.
Like Tim Wilson?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like Tim Wilson?

Tim Wilson is pro-self interest in the same way Phelps is and is left on things that directly affect him. This makes him left on gay marriage, but an idiot LNP definition of free speech person. It's the same as when I run into someone for VECCI at a march for same sex marriage or offshore detention and it's like :chloe:

Phelps is openly against mandatory detention as well.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Phelps is the quintessential Tree Tory and while there are some of those in the LNP proper, the fact that she’ll be independent gives her more latitude in for example not supporting torturing refugees. That said as a Tree Tory her ideals are very flexible in the face of economic incentives so I doubt she’s going to rock the boat for the Government if she gets in.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Australia’s spy agency warned ministers that Scott Morrison’s proposed shift in Middle East policy to relocate the embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may “provoke protest, unrest and possibly some violence in Gaza and the West Bank”.
Guardian Australia has obtained an Asio bulletin, marked secret, AUSTEO(Australian eyes only), circulated on 15 October – the day before Morrison’s announcement – that notes that the putative shift would “attract international attention”.
“We expect any announcement on the possible relocation of the Australian embassy to Jerusalem or consideration of voting against Palestinians in the United Nations may provoke protest, unrest and possibly some violence in Gaza and the West Bank,” the bulletin says.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

Australia’s spy agency warned ministers that Scott Morrison’s proposed shift in Middle East policy to relocate the embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may “provoke protest, unrest and possibly some violence in Gaza and the West Bank”.
Guardian Australia has obtained an Asio bulletin, marked secret, AUSTEO(Australian eyes only), circulated on 15 October – the day before Morrison’s announcement – that notes that the putative shift would “attract international attention”.
“We expect any announcement on the possible relocation of the Australian embassy to Jerusalem or consideration of voting against Palestinians in the United Nations may provoke protest, unrest and possibly some violence in Gaza and the West Bank,” the bulletin says.
And increase the threat of terrorism...

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

JBP posted:

I have a question. I think Bell Jar mentioned NAPLAN/standardised testing being poo poo at some point. Can someone link me or just tell me what the good alternative way of teaching and grading large populations is?

Standardised testing is not fundamentally bad. The question comes down to why you are testing and what you do with the results. the problem with NAPLAN in particular is it is every 2 years. this is not often enough to provide useful diagnostic information to teachers to modify the learning, or to tell you if interventions or differentiation are working. in South Australia we do NAPLAN because we have to, but all public schools also do one called PAT. it is done annually (or more for a student if needed). and provides more current data. For individual learning areas there are a lot of online tools like Math Pathways that will identify which particular areas the students have trouble with and plan a series of learning activities to fill the gaps and help scaffold the learning.

The question about teaching and grading a large population hints at a bias in the question. you don't teach a population, you teach a child. Assessing effective teaching and learning at a systematic level is a difficult concept. An analogy would be having all the health care providers graded on their patient outcomes, and basing assessments of clinics on how many had their patient health improve based on health levels year to year. Do that and you find the Rehab Physio clinic is much better than the ER, so we need to have the ER do what the rehab centre does. Saying the year 3's this year are worse at reading than last years year 3's tells you absolutely nothing. That this years year 5's as a cohort are doing about 2 years worth of learning better than they were in year 3 tells you "normal, move on". but that is not what is being talked about.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:auspol:
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/1052689409491972097

its on
https://twitter.com/mlandryMP/status/1052675365833859072

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 18, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/lucybarbour/status/1052691548540874752

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Please let this be what shatters the coalition. :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

incredible flesh posted:

i got 100% on the english test twice and got two gold medals and an invite to the unsw smart kid camp :smug: (the unsw smart kid camp ruled)

then i chose to do my undergrad at unsw because i thought they might recognise me and give me basic support for my various disabilities so that i could shine as a tertiary student like i'd shone as a primary student, spoiler: they didn't

Same except my parents bribed me with Sega games to get me to forget about going to the camp

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Intoluene posted:

We all hope it will, but the nationals are cowards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Intoluene posted:

They've got so little in common interest now. It seems like on face value the nats would dominate outside cities if they just divorced themselves from the liberal party and they'd also be more inclined/able to do poo poo for their constituents.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Standardised testing can sometimes be inherently useless depending on the test and how it's written. In the '90s my mum was sent to investigate this school in a remote indigenous community in WA ("charter plane only because there are no commercial flights here" level remote). The test they were given had the kids shown a picture, and they then had to describe what was happening in it. Simple enough, right?

Except the picture was a very traditionally Anglo kitchen with a fridge, gramophone, a sink, and Pekinese. These kids were overwhelmingly living in one or two room shacks, and most had never even seen half the stuff in the picture before, let alone be able to talk about it and what it does.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/auspolwatch/status/1052712234428846080?s=19

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but the nats would never be able to get power on their own and their constituents would murder them if they went with labor, so they'll only ever be in the position of being able to form a coalition with the liberals. Yeah?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I got a perfect score on a standardized test as a kid and went to a smart kids camp. Still ended up completely failing at life.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

There's Malcolm! Malcolm's in the Middle.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hambeet posted:

There's Malcolm! Malcolm's in the Middle.

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know
Can you repeat the question?
You're not the boss of me now
And you're not so big.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...MP=share_btn_tw

quote:

Victorian Liberal Russell Broadbent has made a personal appeal to Bill Shorten to back government legislation stopping any asylum seekers resettled in New Zealand coming to Australia, declaring people languishing on Nauru need parliament to deliver a breakthrough.

Broadbent – one of four Liberals lobbying Scott Morrison for a circuit-breaker to get at-risk children and their parents out of offshore detention – told Guardian Australia that Shorten “could be an enabler in this if he chooses to be”.

“I call on Bill Shorten to do everything he can possibly do to move this issue forward, including supporting the government’s legislation,” Broadbent said on Wednesday. “He has a moral obligation to back up his sentiment with action.”
always with this poo poo. agree to what we want or be responsible for our actions

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
All I do is spill, spill, spill no matter what

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Morrison accused Labor of being anti-semites using that exact phrase. He's digging deep.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That’s what I know. I know the New South Wales Labor Party with their good mates who banned the New South Wales Jewish border deputies from attending.

The Labor union multicultural action committee, so we have a New South Wales Labor Party a which is behaving in an anti-Semitic way, MrSpeaker.

And they want to pretend to theAustralian people that they’re supporters of Israel?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also Fraser Anning wanted a plebescite on bringing back the White Australia Policy

quote:

Senators have killed off any prospect of a national vote on returning to the White Australia policy.

Queensland senator Fraser Anning was proposing a plebiscite on ending non-white immigration.

"The bill only asks for a plebiscite to give the Australian people a say on who comes to this country," he told parliament on Thursday.

"I can't think of anything more democratic than that, but apparently everyone else in this room can."

Senator Anning tried to postpone debate on his proposed legislation until next month.

But the government, Labor, Greens and some of the crossbench took the unusual step of refusing the deferral.
Senator Anning's bill was then put to a vote and immediately defeated.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale said the Senate was no place to "spout hatred, racism and white suprematism".

"The quicker the bill is dealt with and consigned to the dust bin of history the better," he told parliament.

"There is no place to debate such racist, xenophobic, hate-filled bills in this parliament."

Labor's Jacinta Collins said postponing debate on the bill would have allowed it to fester.

"We shouldn't allow a matter of this character to sit on the papers and for people looking at the business of the Senate to misunderstand the view of the Senate," she told parliament.

"Australia left behind the White Australia policy 50 years ago and it should remain well in the past."

Government Senate leader Mathias Cormann said the coalition strongly opposed the bill and did not want it to proceed.

"Australia has got a very proud track record over many decades now of welcoming people to Australia from all corners of the world," Senator Cormann told the chamber.

"That has made Australia a richer, better, stronger country."

Senator Anning's call for a division, which would have recorded who voted for and against, was not supported.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lid posted:

Also Fraser Anning wanted a plebescite on bringing back the White Australia Policy

Senator Anning can gently caress off back to where he came from.

Said as a migrant to this country, I'm sure I'm first on his list.

Probably not though, given my skin colour.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
"militant union marshmellow man" Kelly o'dwyer on bill shorten

What a zinger kelly.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Senator Fraser Anning the man for people who don't think Pauline Hanson is hardcore enough

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drunkill posted:

"militant union marshmellow man" Kelly o'dwyer on bill shorten

What a zinger kelly.

Since moving to Melbourne I've had magical luck in only having the absolute worst in local MPs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kelly O'Dwyer looks like one of those abortion survivor babies all the QLD pro-lifers were banging on about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

Kelly O'Dwyer looks like one of those abortion survivor babies all the QLD pro-lifers were banging on about.

I see I’m not the only who thinks she looks like a victim of birth defects.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I see I’m not the only who thinks she looks like a victim of birth defects.

Who would have thought she'd be such an awful politician after going to the effort of saving Mikey, Brandon, Data, Mouth and Chunk from the pirate cave.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Who would have thought she'd be such an awful politician after going to the effort of saving Mikey, Brandon, Data, Mouth and Chunk from the pirate cave.

Slipped back into old habits learned after being raised by The Frattellis/Lobster Guy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1052775871491100672

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

edit: dang beat posting the message from our PM about the Canberra bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

edit: dang beat posting the message from our PM about the Canberra bubble.

That was a hell of a coincidence.

• Locked thread