Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

ThermoPhysical posted:

On Fi, T-Mobile and Sprint both roam on AT&T and Verizon respectively when you need it.

Also it does have Three in the countries where that carrier exists.

Thanks. Good to know about the roaming. I just assumed it was like any other MVNO that didn't roam. Does Fi list a fair usage amount on roaming? I can't imagine she'd used much, but I dont' want to invest in phones for the kids if we're gonna get kicked off in a few months for her phone roaming too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Don't go Fi for their international coverage. They talk it up in their advertising but as soon as you have an issue, support can't remind you fast enough that international coverage is a courtesy, not a paid for feature.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uli2000 posted:

Thanks. Good to know about the roaming. I just assumed it was like any other MVNO that didn't roam. Does Fi list a fair usage amount on roaming? I can't imagine she'd used much, but I dont' want to invest in phones for the kids if we're gonna get kicked off in a few months for her phone roaming too much.

You're not charged for roaming, from what I can tell. Also some MVNOs do roam, but they're mostly the America Movil owned ones that are hot garbage anyway like Straight Talk and Net10.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Javid posted:

Don't go Fi for their international coverage. They talk it up in their advertising but as soon as you have an issue, support can't remind you fast enough that international coverage is a courtesy, not a paid for feature.

Speaking of international coverage: how is Fi in Japan? I'm planning a trip for MY PARTNER and I next spring, hopefully it's decent enough I won't have to worry about it?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

My girlfriend is still using her 5X and my 6P somehow has not crumbled into dust yet. It's obviously time to upgrade, though. Did the Pixel's display issues ever get fixed after the initial batch or is the screen yellowing always going to be a thing? Pixel 2 is sold out and I don't see Google doing any promos on them since they're selling, but we're both already on Fi so there's not any way to take advantage of the $1,598 + taxes + new line, get $799 credit offer. Are either of the LG phones decent? I used a Moto X4 recently and wasn't into it at all. I can't go to a front-facing fingerprint scanner after having only used them on the backsides previously. Should I be waiting for used Pixel 2s to drop in price or looking at another phone altogether? Her 5X is great shape cosmetically and doesn't boot loop, so she can get some money for trading it in, but I cracked the edge of my screen which means the 6P isn't worth anything anymore.

It's weird that just 3 years ago, we switched to Fi in order to save money. I was banking on us being able to use our phones for four years each in order to justify the cost of spending $940 with taxes. $26/mo over three years, for just the two phones that have been limping along for half their lives. Now the Pixel 3 starts at $799 and goes up to $1,000 for the XL. Neither of us were ever able to get any support for the phones because LG/Huawei would tell us to contact the place of purchase (Google) and our carrier (also Google) would tell us to contact the manufacturers. We've also kinda been getting screwed around on the bill this year regarding international calls while signed into wireless networks, too, but other international phone plans are so overpriced it doesn't make sense to switch to another carrier.

I'm quoting you and not answering your questions. Sorry about that. I'm curious to hear opinions on the LG Fi phones as well.

I talked about wanting to upgrade to the Moto X4 at some point, but that meaty 6GB of RAM on the LGs is tempting since I tend to do a lot of multitasking... or at least I would if my 5X could handle more than one big app and a couple tiny ones. :v:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Johnny Truant posted:

Speaking of international coverage: how is Fi in Japan? I'm planning a trip for MY PARTNER and I next spring, hopefully it's decent enough I won't have to worry about it?

Went ~2 years ago with Fi to Japan and it worked excellently. Landed, turned on the phone and got a "Welcome to Japan!" message from google and had service with good speeds everywhere I went. I think wi-fi calling might have been disabled in Japan but I'm not completely sure.

I think the international coverage of Fi is one of the better reasons to get it, at least as a plan A. If there are issues with a specific country and their available carriers Google's partnered with you can always get a local prepaid SIM. But the majority of the time where it just works is extremely convenient.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

THF13 posted:

Went ~2 years ago with Fi to Japan and it worked excellently. Landed, turned on the phone and got a "Welcome to Japan!" message from google and had service with good speeds everywhere I went. I think wi-fi calling might have been disabled in Japan but I'm not completely sure.

I think the international coverage of Fi is one of the better reasons to get it, at least as a plan A. If there are issues with a specific country and their available carriers Google's partnered with you can always get a local prepaid SIM. But the majority of the time where it just works is extremely convenient.

In the last year I've used it in Chile, Argentina, Iceland, Canada, the Faroe Islands, and Latvia, and it's been completely seamless as soon as I land. The quality of international coverage is probably the biggest reason I'm staying on Fi at this point.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just chiming in to say that Fi worked great in Holland and all my coworkers were extremely jealous.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Worked seamlessly for me in Spain, UK, Ireland, Portugal and France too. :shrug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Johnny Truant posted:

Worked perfectly for us on the North and main island, even in remote areas.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it would honestly be pretty bad if Fi advertised support for Japan and/or Korea and it didn't work flawlessly :pwn:

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I was just in Japan for two and a half weeks. My Pixel and my wife's Pixel 2 worked pretty much perfectly. My phone had a little trouble getting a GPS lock, but voice/data worked well.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Mr Executive posted:

I was just in Japan for two and a half weeks. My Pixel and my wife's Pixel 2 worked pretty much perfectly. My phone had a little trouble getting a GPS lock, but voice/data worked well.

Japan's actually developing a satellite system (QZSS) to augment GPS because of reception issues in and around their country, especially in urban areas, so that's likely an issue you would have experienced with any device that was only using GPS satellite signals.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Coming from Sprint, Project Fi can't be worse than what I have already, right? I was looking at T-Mobile and then my new Pixel 3 reminded me Fi exists.

My only concern is that I have to work large crowded events (think division 1 college football games) and while Sprint post-paid hasn't failed me in a while at those (they started bringing COWs to help), my employees on MVNOs have trouble sometimes.

Have you experienced many issues with congestion and getting de-prioritized on the tower?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Fi international coverage worked in loving Belarus without issues other than needing to reboot after landing to successfully negotiate a cell signal.

Everywhere else (Korea, Russia, Singapore, various bits of Europe) managed to negotiate without a reboot as intended. Although I haven't used it there personally, Fi was my previous employer's go-to carrier for China phones, so I assume it works fine there.

I'm sure there's somewhere it will eventually crap out (hopefully next up challenge mode: Kyrgyzstan), but it seems pretty solid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

effika posted:

Coming from Sprint, Project Fi can't be worse than what I have already, right? I was looking at T-Mobile and then my new Pixel 3 reminded me Fi exists.

My only concern is that I have to work large crowded events (think division 1 college football games) and while Sprint post-paid hasn't failed me in a while at those (they started bringing COWs to help), my employees on MVNOs have trouble sometimes.

Have you experienced many issues with congestion and getting de-prioritized on the tower?

The only issue I've had with Fi was when I was at PAX South in a crowded convention center. I had to use signal spy to push it off the stronger but more hosed up carrier onto the lower signal but actually usable one. I can't remember which one was working and which wasn't anymore but I was using Signal Spy to manually switch between T-Mobile and Sprint or vice-versa.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

effika posted:

I've been to fairly big sporting events and concerts where Fi worked fine, anecdotally. I don't know if my experience is super relevant to your question though since I know a lot of big college sports events take place outside of big metro areas. Like, it worked fine at the Twins game I went to last year, but that stadium is just down the street from all the tallest buildings in Minneapolis, ones that all have a bunch of antennas on their tops.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I'll try it out on my Pixel 3; pretty sure I'm going to port my number over.

Anybody have a referral code?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

effika posted:

I'll try it out on my Pixel 3; pretty sure I'm going to port my number over.

Anybody have a referral code?

Here you go. https://g.co/fi/r/TYP0VW

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So I'm signing up for google fi today too, so I went ahead and used this code too. :kiddo:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

My girlfriend is still using her 5X and my 6P somehow has not crumbled into dust yet. It's obviously time to upgrade, though. Did the Pixel's display issues ever get fixed after the initial batch or is the screen yellowing always going to be a thing? Pixel 2 is sold out and I don't see Google doing any promos on them since they're selling, but we're both already on Fi so there's not any way to take advantage of the $1,598 + taxes + new line, get $799 credit offer. Are either of the LG phones decent? I used a Moto X4 recently and wasn't into it at all. I can't go to a front-facing fingerprint scanner after having only used them on the backsides previously. Should I be waiting for used Pixel 2s to drop in price or looking at another phone altogether? Her 5X is great shape cosmetically and doesn't boot loop, so she can get some money for trading it in, but I cracked the edge of my screen which means the 6P isn't worth anything anymore.

It's weird that just 3 years ago, we switched to Fi in order to save money. I was banking on us being able to use our phones for four years each in order to justify the cost of spending $940 with taxes. $26/mo over three years, for just the two phones that have been limping along for half their lives. Now the Pixel 3 starts at $799 and goes up to $1,000 for the XL. Neither of us were ever able to get any support for the phones because LG/Huawei would tell us to contact the place of purchase (Google) and our carrier (also Google) would tell us to contact the manufacturers. We've also kinda been getting screwed around on the bill this year regarding international calls while signed into wireless networks, too, but other international phone plans are so overpriced it doesn't make sense to switch to another carrier.

Quoting myself to say that the 5X took a dump today. My girlfriend was flying back from India with the phone charged somewhere between 90-100% while on airplane mode. The next time she went to use it, it had powered off. It won't power on and we can't get to the Android boot recovery menu, either, which leads me to believe it is toast. Neither Fi nor LG support were any help, of course, except LG offered to fix it for an estimated $72 + diagnostic fee + shipping. My 6P shuts off at 30% or less battery any time an intensive application is opened, so we're definitely both in the search for new phones very soon. $878 + tax is pretty steep to swallow when the phones didn't even last 36 months. Now, somehow, an individual phone is almost that much. Looks like we're gonna have to suck it up and get two Motorola X4s or two G6s, unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Quoting myself to say that the 5X took a dump today. My girlfriend was flying back from India with the phone charged somewhere between 90-100% while on airplane mode. The next time she went to use it, it had powered off. It won't power on and we can't get to the Android boot recovery menu, either, which leads me to believe it is toast. Neither Fi nor LG support were any help, of course, except LG offered to fix it for an estimated $72 + diagnostic fee + shipping. My 6P shuts off at 30% or less battery any time an intensive application is opened, so we're definitely both in the search for new phones very soon. $878 + tax is pretty steep to swallow when the phones didn't even last 36 months. Now, somehow, an individual phone is almost that much. Looks like we're gonna have to suck it up and get two Motorola X4s or two G6s, unless anyone has any other suggestions.
I went from 5X to X4. Highly recommended, this is probably my favorite phone that I've ever had. Only downside is fingerprint reader placement.

I'm probably going to get my dad a G6 on my plan, let me know what you think of that if you go that direction.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Get an X4 and shout at LG until they RMA that 5x so you have a spare on hand.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Finally found a place with the X4 on display and we're probably gonna go with that unless we can find a used Pixel or something for roughly the same price. If I can get LG to do anything (have talked to 3 different people and they all told me to piss off) I may switch over to that from the 6P until I can get a Pixel 2 for a good price. Thanks for the suggestions

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody been having texting issues lately? I use Messages, been receiving texts at weird, delayed intervals, and also having a larger-than-normal proportion of my texts non delivered.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it will probably be more helpful if you could first explain what hardware, OS, etc. you are using, and what steps you have taken already to try and isolate the problem

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pixel XL, Pie OS. I've only restarted the phone once, haven't forced any carrier switches, that's about it. It hasn't been a huge amount of texts, just more than normal in a short period of time :shrug:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Have you tried monitoring which carrier(s) you're usually on, and when?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nope, although just this nothing I got cut-off duplicate texts from a few days ago while on Sprint. Very weird!

Edit: on Sprint, text messages getting cut off and delay delivered again. Received one that said "2/2" then the text, but it was only a single text originally, and not an incredibly long one?

These texts were sent from an iPhone, dunno it that makes a difference. Just got delayed WhatsApp messages, too, it seems. Restarted the phone twice since I originally posted about it.

Edit 2: tried clearing the cache for Messages after poking around on the internet, maybe that'll help? Also forced to T-Mobile, both have decent enough reception, ~92dBm according to Fi Switch.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 9, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, although just this nothing I got cut-off duplicate texts from a few days ago while on Sprint. Very weird!

Edit: on Sprint, text messages getting cut off and delay delivered again. Received one that said "2/2" then the text, but it was only a single text originally, and not an incredibly long one?

Oh wow it just happened to me! I don't think I've ever seen this before. I just got some chopped up and incomplete messages that are duplicates of two (full, intact) messages I received yesterday. I don't usually keep a network switcher app installed so I have no idea what was going on.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
As a Sprint refugee I can confirm that it happens sometimes.

Usually they have a few days of trouble then are ok.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Javid posted:

Get an X4 and shout at LG until they RMA that 5x so you have a spare on hand.

This for sure. Had the x4 since last year and the only problem has been when an update broke Android auto and Moto dragged their loving feet getting it fixed.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I decided to go balls-out for my wife's Christmas gift this year. She's been hinting at wanting a new phone for some time now so I'm ordering her a pink Pixel 3 XL. The only snag is that I have to activate it within 30 days or else the total balance becomes due. Am I able to activate it but let her keep using her current phone until Christmas so I don't have to spoil the surprise?

I decided on the V35 ThinQ for myself but I'm going to wait. Something better could come along in a few months, anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I decided to go balls-out for my wife's Christmas gift this year. She's been hinting at wanting a new phone for some time now so I'm ordering her a pink Pixel 3 XL. The only snag is that I have to activate it within 30 days or else the total balance becomes due. Am I able to activate it but let her keep using her current phone until Christmas so I don't have to spoil the surprise?

I decided on the V35 ThinQ for myself but I'm going to wait. Something better could come along in a few months, anyway.

AFAIK once you activate it it’s gonna disable her current phone.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if there are any plans for Project Fi for Black Friday?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK once you activate it it’s gonna disable her current phone.

why yes, it is impossible to activate the phone on a new temporary number and then transfer OP's wife's number to the new phone next month. the laws of the universe deem it so. it is known. amen

e: with great power comes great responsibility. winter is coming

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
This is a PSA. My wife's Pixel 2 apparently hit a really rare hardware/software issue, where in the middle of texting with no damage or event on the phone it rebooted and bricked. It then just sat at the bootloader with "ERROR: Slot Unbootable: Load Error". Couldn't go to recovery, couldn't sideload anything, couldn't factory reset, it was done (support agreed). This happened Saturday morning so I drove out to where she was to bring her a backup phone, only to realize we had decided to just activate her on the e-SIM when I ported her from AT&T. There was no SIM card to swap over, and this is the Project Fi relevant part. Basically if your phone breaks Friday night/Saturday morning and you're using e-SIM, then the fastest you can get back up and running again is basically Tuesday, because that's how long it takes to either ship you a Project Fi SIM, or a replacement device. So we won't be using e-SIM anymore personally. Alternatively, you can have Project Fi order you a blank SIM to keep on hand in the event of an emergency like this. The SIMs only get written to and activated when you use the Project Fi app with your account. You can also of course use hangouts on a Wi-Fi device to get some semblance of access to your number, but four days without a phone with no warning can be pretty disruptive. I ended up just activating her on my Pixel 2 e-SIM while I stepped down to a backup Nexus 5x until her replacement device arrives, because I'm a real man who takes care of my lady. Be safe out there.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 13, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why yes, it is impossible to activate the phone on a new temporary number and then transfer OP's wife's number to the new phone next month. the laws of the universe deem it so. it is known. amen

e: with great power comes great responsibility. winter is coming

drat, that would have been a great idea if it wasn't impossible. :sigh:

(Thanks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Fi just rolled out a new VPN feature to its plan. Has this rolled out to any of you yet? How is it? I don't think that my phone (Pixel 3) has gotten the update yet.