Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

PC was invented by Republicans to convince voters that complaints about inequality amounted to the censorship of words. This aversion to PC was glorified as a heroic gritty movement that promoted damning the thought police and expressing yourself, no matter how offensive to the overly sensitive liberals. It quickly gained popularity in the minds of the right AND the left to the detriment of women, LGBT, and minorities.

No one ever asked for the enforcement of PC. They asked for equal rights.

Anyway... last episode was pretty cool.

I'm not sure I'm parsing this correctly. When you say, "PC was invented by Republicans," do you mean that just the term "politically correct" and its grammatical variants (i.e., political correctness) was invented by Republicans? Or, if they didn't literally invent the term, that they are the ones responsible for popularizing its use as a pejorative? Or are you suggesting that they actually invented the concept of political correctness in some kind of master plan to later use it as a pejorative as a part of some kind of political Batman gambit?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I am only 70% sure I know what you're trying to say here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This argument sucks and is boring

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

moist turtleneck posted:

This argument sucks and is boring

Really? Because I enjoy people droning on for pages about PC CULTURE without any shared definition of what it means.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doltos posted:

Oh, that's what happened.
Yes, it's literally what happened.

Here's an excerpt that didn't age well:

quote:

At Harvard, two students who hung a Confederate flag out a dormitory window were denounced by black students.
PC gone mad!

It was a concerted effort in the early 90s.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 17, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dolphin posted:

PC was invented by Republicans to convince voters that complaints about inequality amounted to the censorship of words. This aversion to PC was glorified as a heroic gritty movement that promoted damning the thought police and expressing yourself, no matter how offensive to the overly sensitive liberals. It quickly gained popularity in the minds of the right AND the left to the detriment of women, LGBT, and minorities.

No one ever asked for the enforcement of PC. They asked for equal rights.

Anyway... last episode was pretty cool.
Dingdingdingdingding!

It's the real-world equivalent of

"rock flag and eagle, right Charlie?"

"He's got a point!"

Suckers fall for it every time. People railing against PC culture are the same suckers who would be asking people in the 60s to "stop talking about the negro problem" in polite company.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Another Bill posted:

Really? Because I enjoy people droning on for pages about PC CULTURE without any shared definition of what it means.

Nah you were looking for a fight. You know exactly what people mean when they say PC culture and acting like you don't is just a way to instigate. Quit it.

Dolphin posted:

Yes, it's literally what happened.

Here's an excerpt that didn't age well:

PC gone mad!

It was a concerted effort in the early 90s.

Oh so you're saying the term was made up back in the 90s and nothing that has happened since then has anything to do with how people view current PC culture.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol the front page of imgur has my gif of the gang attacking those kids but it's a bad copy somebody ripped with some screen ripper so it has a ton of tearing

Like...just use the original gif you jabroni

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
If we really want to get into an etymological argument, which we don't, isn't it widely accepted that "political correctness" as a term was actually invented by communists in the context of if an argument or text conflicted with the party line? And the its meaning radically changed during the culture wars as a way for the right to oppose student movements and the rise of ethnic studies departments? Like, isn't that a pretty common understanding of the history of the term?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The only time I ever hear anyone say "politically correct" are retarded old guys excusing themselves for using slurs

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Maybe real political correctness is the friends we've made along the way.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Pharmaskittle posted:

The only time I ever hear anyone say "politically correct" are retarded old guys excusing themselves for using slurs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost like terrible old racist Frank's offensive outbursts about political correctness and liberal bullshit are in fact satirizing the type of people who legitimately complain about such things rather than the show's creator's winking in support of his views.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just remember, there's always someone watching saying "Yeah, that's totally us."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

STAC Goat posted:

Just remember, there's always someone watching saying "Yeah, that's totally us."

It sort of upsets me that people are watching this show totally missing the point while they slap their knee after Mac totally says what we're all thinking about the gay agenda or Frank tells it how it is about asian drivers or gets reasonably frustrated about how the he-she's can't make up their minds on what we call them today.

It's like someone watching Starship Troopers, nodding along thinking Verhoeven has depicted a very good society.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I say that's totally me when frank bangs whores with his magnum dong

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i was that guy that had the car everyone hated

they hated it so much that they blew it up while i watched the golf channel

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baronjutter posted:

It sort of upsets me that people are watching this show totally missing the point while they slap their knee after Mac totally says what we're all thinking about the gay agenda or Frank tells it how it is about asian drivers or gets reasonably frustrated about how the he-she's can't make up their minds on what we call them today.

It's like someone watching Starship Troopers, nodding along thinking Verhoeven has depicted a very good society.

Its just the inevitability of this kind of satire. Colbert. Chappelle. Some people are always going to read it the other way because it fits their perspective.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost like terrible old racist Frank's offensive outbursts about political correctness and liberal bullshit are in fact satirizing the type of people who legitimately complain about such things rather than the show's creator's winking in support of his views.
Exactly. And unlike South Park, the show is incredibly clear about these things being lovely.

Portrayal isn't condoning. And yes, there are always going to be people who don't understand satire, but when it's an extreme minority of your fans, and not the overwhelming and very vocal majority of them (see also: Rick and Morty), you're clearly getting it right.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The real world always tries to outcrazy all forms of satire and vice versa. That's a spiral of destruction and misery.

Should satire be outlawed?

Could Trump have become president if satirics wouldn't have normalized that idea by coming up with something almost as stupid as that?

The general idea of satire is to make the audience hope it never gets this bad. But how often does that happen in a helpful way?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 17, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It's like people who watch Archie Bunker and slap their knees at everything America's Lovable Bigot says that's off-kilter. "You tell 'em, Arch!" they shout at the TV before lamenting the fact that "they don't make 'em [sitcoms] like they used to!", all the while remaining blissfully unaware that Archie's politics are the joke--we're supposed to laugh at his worldview, not with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tarlibone posted:

It's like people who watch Archie Bunker and slap their knees at everything America's Lovable Bigot says that's off-kilter. "You tell 'em, Arch!" they shout at the TV before lamenting the fact that "they don't make 'em [sitcoms] like they used to!", all the while remaining blissfully unaware that Archie's politics are the joke--we're supposed to laugh at his worldview, not with it.
The difference here is that that was a sizable plurality of fans of that show. I've never met an Always Sunny fan who wasn't in on the joke. I'm sure there out there, but not in that Archie Bunker way. Not even in a Mad Men way.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A loving clip show. How sad :(

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like that Mac and Dennis were Jerry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I noticed they bleeped "retarded" in the Christmas clip, very odd line to draw seconds before multiple gently caress-bombs and physical violence, I'm curious about FXX's censorship policies now.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A loving clip show. How sad :(

I was hoping you were joking. :(

Edit: Haah I knew I needed to give it time.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 18, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Oh my loving GOD shut up about PC and South Park and whatever else you jabronis have been going in circles about for the last five pages.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That episode got weird.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Grem posted:

Oh my loving GOD shut up about PC and South Park and whatever else you jabronis have been going in circles about for the last five pages.

Dude, there was a new episode, we could have moved past it, but yet here you are bringing it back up.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Brawnfire posted:

I noticed they bleeped "retarded" in the Christmas clip, very odd line to draw seconds before multiple gently caress-bombs and physical violence, I'm curious about FXX's censorship policies now.

That was a joke, in previous episodes the gang decided it's not okay to use the R-word.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zartosht posted:

That was a joke, in previous episodes the gang decided it's not okay to use the R-word.

drat, nice touch then.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I don't know what I was hoping for with the Seinfeld bits but it left me feeling a little disappointed. I do like that they tried something new and interesting but it just wasn't all that funny. Kind of like when an old comedy has a "very special episode", it's nice but I probably wouldn't rewatch it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Clip shows seem so antiquated in the youtube era. I'm only like 7 minutes in, does it change?

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Milo and POTUS posted:

Clip shows seem so antiquated in the youtube era. I'm only like 7 minutes in, does it change?

The first seven minutes are to sucker you into thinking you know what's coming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brawnfire posted:

Glenn mentioned that he regrets the episode "Sweet Dee is dating a retarded person" because of the use of that word. It makes total sense that they would bleep it now while not bleeping the gently caress word. The word gently caress doesn't hurt anything, but "retarded" is a hurtful word.

Also, I was thinking it was lame that they were doing a clip show because I've already yuk'd it up to all these funny moments a million times. Then they get into thinking they were seinfeld, and then the inception thing. It was pretty good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah this ended up being way better than I expected. And the rapper episode was a classic and at least they said retarded person in the title.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Frank's long legs got me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Same but charlie Kramer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved that there were two Jerrys. Loved the whole exchange about living in New York too.

I was definitely suckered into thinking it was just going to be a straight up clip show, Mac saying,"Hey we're coming up with new stuff so at least we're not being lazy" cracked me up.