Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
goddamn OPM is so good :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Murara and One owns. OPM is great :allears:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The guy has such structured compositions that he always knows exactly where everything is, it's really something to see (non-manga fan)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No but you see it's manga and therefore has no place in this, a place of high society talking about important, sophisticated things.

(OPM is indeed Cool And Good.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

So which director are you going to brag about watching this time you think someone called you racist?

What the gently caress are you even talking about.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You really don't remember the last time this idiot conversation happened, when you thought someone called you racist and your defense was that you really really loved Kurosawa movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I guess I don't keep a catalogue of every dumbass circular argument about anime and manga I'm a part of.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

Venom Annual

This is a revisiting of the events of Venom: The Madness, only this time it's James Stokoe writing and drawing Madness Venom vs. Juggernaut and it is entirely my poo poo.

Juggernaut's expression in that first panel of the old lady's apartment is begging to be somebody's avatar.

His Juggernaut in the Egyptian Silver Surfer story in Secret Wars was really great too.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Gavok posted:

Venom Annual

This is a revisiting of the events of Venom: The Madness, only this time it's James Stokoe writing and drawing Madness Venom vs. Juggernaut and it is entirely my poo poo.

Juggernaut's expression in that first panel of the old lady's apartment is begging to be somebody's avatar.

hahaha you could absolutely post this in the funny panels thread too, those expressions are gold

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I may buy someone a juggs reaction shot. I am not sure if this is a good thing for the person or not

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

And the bimonthly manga completes again.

*manga post*
"This sucks"
"No it doesn't, it's just another kind of comic"
"Actually all manga sucks"
"Nuh uh"
"Yeah huh"
"Nuh uh"
*repeat for several hours*
*someone posts something else entirely*

Also, they always get posted flipped over, so the dialogue bubbles are in backwards order.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

prefect posted:

Also, they always get posted flipped over, so the dialogue bubbles are in backwards order.

ah so you mean it should read

TwoPair posted:

And the bimonthly manga completes again.

*someone posts something else entirely*
*repeat for several hours*
"Nuh uh"
"Yeah huh"
"Nuh uh"
"Actually all manga sucks"
"No it doesn't, it's just another kind of comic"
"This sucks"
*manga post*

?

Knackered
Jul 29, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

I may buy someone a juggs reaction shot. I am not sure if this is a good thing for the person or not

I've been looking for a new avatar, if you don't end up using it on some other poor soul let me know.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

I guess I don't keep a catalogue of every dumbass circular argument about anime and manga I'm a part of.

Then maybe you wanna have a think about what that says about your posting?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lurdiak is a BravestOfTheLamps clone without the occasional really good monologue about an extremely specific topic. It would be very cool if folks didn't quote them or egg them on.

edit: hmm

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 18, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that’s really badass how she knees him in the face like that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Right, that's a bad one, can't defend it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Delicious In Dungeon: One of the characters has been grabbed by a griffin, and Marcille, the magic user, has been trying to summon a magical minion to help the party rescue him. Up to this point it hasn't worked well because the griffin outclassed her summons, so she needs to get on that other level (right to left):

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That probably fits in the funny panels thread.

Bwing

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Flesh Forge posted:

Delicious In Dungeon: One of the characters has been grabbed by a griffin, and Marcille, the magic user, has been trying to summon a magical minion to help the party rescue him. Up to this point it hasn't worked well because the griffin outclassed her summons, so she needs to get on that other level (right to left):

Just post Laius stabbing the red dragon while getting his leg eaten.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somebody did a few pages ago :shrug:

Kill Six Billion Demons: Allison knows kung fu

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 18, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have to start reading that again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

lmao if you are implying almost every single comic page posted in this forum isn't pirated

No, I'm openly stating that it's not blatantly obvious that they're scans or downloaded from FREECOMIX DOT COM or whatever.

I realize for anime fans this is unusual since they all handwave away how unfair it is to have to wait for something to get translated or whatever and they deserve it for free today instead.

Also, Lurdiak is a good poster.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 18, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I feel like I end up saying a variation of this every time the Manga Conversation comes up, but I think people who want to post manga should be mindful of the different visual grammars of Eastern and Western comics storytelling, and also keep in mind that we all probably recognize Spider-Man, that he's good, Mysterio, that he's bad, Batman, The Hulk, whoever else, just by cultural osmosis and being immersed in that culture, whereas most mangas will need more contextualizing or else it just looks like crazed, confusing motion. I think the OPM "clips" posted in here are a good example because OPM is absolutely a virtuosic comic and its battle scenes are among the best, and so cinemographic that gifs like the ones posted are possible (and very impressive)-- but they still demonstrate how the "camera" moves and behaves differently in manga, and how showing motion and interstitial "frames" is prioritized differently than it is in Western superhero comics, which tend towards tableu-like "shots" that on a surface level are more immediately "readable." Both are solid techniques and I think the best artists in both mediums draw from each other (see the just-posted Kill Six Billions, or, well, the just posted James Stokoe) but when people who don't read much manga say that manga fight scenes are difficult to follow I don't think they're necessarily just being stubborn.

I was trying to think of which action mangas I'd actually call good matches for a thread like this populated mostly by readers of Western comics, as a thought exercise-- even stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub which has scrupulously clear fight staging moves at a pace which might seem jerky or bloated at first glance. I think Blade of the Immortal has absolutely unbeatable fight scenes but often the problem comes up of interspersing panels that "communicate" peoples' various moves, counterattacks, manuevering, etc. with sort of the fight equivalent of pillow shots, just emphasizing how people move, or the ambience. Samura's emphasis on motion in particular leads to a decent amount of panels that might just look like weird blurs. I think Dungeon Meshi is actually a really good candidate, not only because Ryoko Kui has such a clean, elegant style, but because her characters and situations draw on fantasy archetypes nobody reading this forum could possibly be unfamiliar with. The elf wizard casts big spells, the knight goes in with his sword, the little thief sneaks around for an ambush, etc.. Since most Dungeon Meshi stories are done in one the pacing is a little closer to Western action scenes too-- brisk, snappy, each panel communicating at least one shift in the tide of the fight.

(I'm not even a huge manga expert, so like, I won't pretend that the above is comprehensive or even particularly insightful. But I think that comics being a global medium now is wonderful, and that reading stuff from anywhere in the world that you can is well worth doing, and it seems like a shame to look at a country that produces an enormous amount of comics and go, "no, absolutely not this one")

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 18, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Archyduke posted:

I feel like I end up saying a variation of this every time the Manga Conversation comes up, but I think people who want to post manga should be mindful of the different visual grammars of Eastern and Western comics storytelling, and also keep in mind that we all probably recognize Spider-Man, that he's good, Mysterio, that he's bad, Batman, The Hulk, whoever else, just by cultural osmosis and being immersed in that culture, whereas most mangas will need more contextualizing or else it just looks like crazed, confusing motion. I think the OPM "clips" posted in here are a good example because OPM is absolutely a virtuosic comic and its battle scenes are among the best, and so cinemographic that gifs like the ones posted are possible (and very impressive)-- but they still demonstrate how the "camera" moves and behaves differently in manga, and how showing motion and interstitial "frames" is prioritized differently than it is in Western superhero comics, which tend towards tableu-like "shots" that on a surface level are more immediately "readable." Both are solid techniques and I think the best artists in both mediums draw from each other (see the just-posted Kill Six Billions, or, well, the just posted James Stokoe) but when people who don't read much manga say that manga fight scenes are difficult to follow I don't think they're necessarily just being stubborn.

I was trying to think of which action mangas I'd actually call good matches for a thread like this populated mostly by readers of Western comics, as a thought exercise-- even stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub which has scrupulously clear fight staging moves at a pace which might seem jerky or bloated at first glance. I think Blade of the Immortal has absolutely unbeatable fight scenes but often the problem comes up of interspersing panels that "communicate" peoples' various moves, counterattacks, manuevering, etc. with sort of the fight equivalent of pillow shots, just emphasizing how people move, or the ambience. Samura's emphasis on motion in particular leads to a decent amount of panels that might just look like weird blurs. I think Dungeon Meshi is actually a really good candidate, not only because Ryoko Kui has such a clean, elegant style, but because her characters and situations draw on fantasy archetypes nobody reading this forum could possibly be unfamiliar with. The elf wizard casts big spells, the knight goes in with his sword, the little thief sneaks around for an ambush, etc.. Since most Dungeon Meshi stories are done in one the pacing is a little closer to Western action scenes too-- brisk, snappy, each panel communicating at least one shift in the tide of the fight.

(I'm not even a huge manga expert, so like, I won't pretend that the above is comprehensive or even particularly insightful. But I think that comics being a global medium now is wonderful, and that reading stuff from anywhere in the world that you can is well worth doing, and it seems like a shame to look at a country that produces an enormous amount of comics and go, "no, absolutely not this one")

Ok but it's better when Thor throws his hammer really hard.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A lot of the problem I had with those Alita pages was due to how weird all the characters' anatomy is, how the panels are composed; if you don't already know those characters pretty well, showing a cropped rendering of a weird robot arm made out of gears gobbling up another weird robot arm made out of chainsaws is going to be puzzling.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Flesh Forge posted:

A lot of the problem I had with those Alita pages was due to how weird all the characters' anatomy is, how the panels are composed; if you don't already know those characters pretty well, showing a cropped rendering of a weird robot arm made out of gears gobbling up another weird robot arm made out of chainsaws is going to be puzzling.

I feel that's partially true, but I feel like more than that the Alita panels disregard the 180-degree Rule, so that we the viewer have no reference point to spacial relationships and where anything is. It's a series of very well drawn but disjointed panels of robots getting chewed up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

No, I'm openly stating that it's not blatantly obvious that they're scans or downloaded from FREECOMIX DOT COM or whatever.

I realize for anime fans this is unusual since they all handwave away how unfair it is to have to wait for something to get translated or whatever and they deserve it for free today instead.

Also, Lurdiak is a good poster.

I mean if you wait you will be waiting either months or years to read something. If it even gets a publisher to translate it at all.

Though I also can’t really figure out why you care.

It’s such a dumb and petty thing to care about.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 18, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was going to post my favorite badass panels from One-Punch Man but it would end up being a 30-page sequence because Murata is insane and draws every single blow in detail - and sometimes in spreads - so I'll just leave a recommendation in case someone hasn't heard of it yet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those Juggernaut panels were not only great art, I love that hist story is about how he was whipping Venom's rear end when instead he's getting pounded into the dirt and hit on the head with a broom by an old lady.

EDIT: Oh my god he has a doily on his helmet!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

I was going to post my favorite badass panels from One-Punch Man but it would end up being a 30-page sequence because Murata is insane and draws every single blow in detail - and sometimes in spreads - so I'll just leave a recommendation in case someone hasn't heard of it yet.

Literally why I stopped posting it - you basically have to post an entire chapter to get the full effect of the action.

Here's a gif...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You could just post clips of the anime, the uninitiated won't be able to tell the difference

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The manga looks better in motion than the anime.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mulva posted:

That's true, the animated version sacrifices a lot of detail that Murata renders.

Also,

if you need context to understand this or appreciate it, I pity you

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there a rule against manga that people keep ducking under? Because if there isn't, there's no reason to encourage people who throw a shitfit over it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I see a bunch of people about to have their day ruined from all that falling glass and brick.

loving supers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mulva posted:

:psyboom:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Murata is legit one of those once in a lifetime artists, both in sheer artistic talent and also in productivity because the dude never stops working, to the point the writer had to not send him any scripts for a while to make him spend time off with his family

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Unfortunately manga and anime creators working themselves to death isn't uncommon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SonicRulez posted:

Is there a rule against manga that people keep ducking under? Because if there isn't, there's no reason to encourage people who throw a shitfit over it.

There isn’t some posters just get really weird about it.