Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don Dongington posted:

No solar, gas hot water and heating, LED lights everywhere. Partially because partner and kids have been home all day for the past 4 months, so tv on, lights on, server draws a bit I guess (can't afford a low power SOC so it's an i7 3770), but for a 4 bedroom house with someone up most of the time because baby, I wouldn't consider 500 to be that crazy. Gas is 200/month atm which is gross but I'm hoping it'll go down now the heater isn't running 24/7.

In my old place, 3 bed with reverse cycle, $700 bills weren't unheard of.

Yeah that's not far from our situation, except we don't have gas so everything's on electric.

Also iajWife earns a good wage so I get the fun of being a stay at home dad which is all kinds of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The former head of the Australian Human Rights Commission, Gillian Triggs, has called on Labor to support the government's bill to ban any refugees from Manus Island and Nauru ever setting foot in Australia.

Professor Triggs was outspoken in her opposition to the government's harsh asylum seeker policies and clashed spectacularly with the Coalition during her tenure at the Human Rights Commission.
But on Thursday night she reluctantly backed the government on the "wicked problem", arguing it was more important to get refugees off the islands given they had been there more than five years.
"Obviously I want to see those people resettled," Professor Triggs told ABC Radio National.

"If those conditions are to be imposed, I think I'd come down on the side of saying yes, let's go for it, let's get those children and their families off."
Professor Triggs said the plan to stop those refugees ever obtaining a valid visa to enter Australia - including for tourism or business purposes - was "quite improper, illegal, manipulative and wrong".
But "if it gets them off [Nauru and Manus Island] into civilised conditions in New Zealand ... then I think we have to go for it", she said.
"It's not a choice I would ever really want to make at a moral level, but at the same time you have to be practical."

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I lived in a share house with a bunch of mates with a pool when we were young and monumentally stupid and our first quarterly bill was around $2800. Who knew you didnt need to run the pool filter 24/7, use a stepladder and the bathroom heat lamp to dry yourself because someone stole all the towels, or sit partially nude on the couch in 40 degree heat with the windows open and the A/C set to 16????

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

I lived in a share house with a bunch of mates with a pool when we were young and monumentally stupid and our first quarterly bill was around $2800. Who knew you didnt need to run the pool filter 24/7, use a stepladder and the bathroom heat lamp to dry yourself because someone stole all the towels, or sit partially nude on the couch in 40 degree heat with the windows open and the A/C set to 16????

Wait that's not the right way to cool down in summer

gently caress

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Also the property owner decided to reduce costs by using bathroom wall tiles around the pool so the split second you entered the pool area you were at extreme risk of breaking your neck from slipping over

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.scottmorrison.com.au/

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha my last power bill was $800 after discount ha ha haaaaaa

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This country is beyond farce.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I enjoyed the film that songs from and I feel like this has ruined it forever. :/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ha ha my last power bill was $800 after discount ha ha haaaaaa

What the gently caress are you running?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Beautiful.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I have a quarterly bill for 633 in front of me but I am dumb and run an oil heater on max, like, the entire time I'm home. I use a quarter of the power in summer as winter

Yeah I know it's not winter anymore

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

bandaid.friend posted:

I have a quarterly bill for 633 in front of me but I am dumb and run an oil heater on max, like, the entire time I'm home. I use a quarter of the power in summer as winter

Yeah I know it's not winter anymore

Those things are terrible, you'd probably do better with a lovely portable reverse cycle dealy from Kogan.
I know an oil heater costs like $50 instead of $500 but you are converting 1kw of power into appx 1kw of heating. With the reverse cycle it's more like 1kw of power into 2.5kw of heating (at the low end)

You just said your normal bill is like $200, so presumably your heating bill is $600-800 a year - halving that is a big saving

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

iajanus posted:

Wait that's not the right way to cool down in summer

gently caress

At least close the window you savage

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

What the gently caress are you running?

to be fair when SSMG first came home we had the heater (air conditioner) on each night to maintain a consistent temperature in our room

but I've been tracking the bills for a few years now and they just vary wildly, but what drives me crazy is that they're all actual reads so :/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hambeet posted:

Yeah your bill seems fairly normal

I did see a noticeable reduction in my power usage by changing to a Raspberry Pi torrent and file server

Did you build it yourself?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

At least close the window you savage

But then how will Gizmo get in and out?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

Did you build it yourself?

Yep

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1052441070120910854
:cripes:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

I enjoyed the film that songs from and I feel like this has ruined it forever. :/

hahaha RIP

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
my quarterly power bill was $180 :smuggo:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Maybe if you don't know, you could google it. Maybe there's a wikipedia page on it.

Maybe that page explains in the first paragraph that it was invented by 4chan and has been popularised by nazis.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Evaporative is great because you need windows and doors open for it to work.

Having RCAC and pets is a loving joke

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

And the Nats will reinstall him as leader by the weekend.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

pulling the wales out of the wocean

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Canberra has a navy now...

https://twitter.com/mattjhatton/status/1052859638218027008

What a loving cumb oval office we have in a leadership role of the loving nation.

"we don't know what we're doing"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scomo has ordered the AFP to investigate The Guardian over leaks about the Israeli embassy move.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

gently caress me

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

drunkill posted:

Canberra has a navy now...

Jervis Bay is a crime hotspot.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Monthly electricity bill is $70ish, I spend about 18 bucks a week. Two monthly gas bill for winter has been around $200 the last couple of years, but thats heating, water and stove. It's still ridiculous for one person.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
400 a month. For a household of two.

gently caress smart meters and the three tariff system. 59 cents a killowatt hour in peak from 2pm to 8pm.

The older flaterate meter never looked so good. Little wonder im solaring and batterying the gently caress out of this place when batteries get cheaper.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I pay 60 a month electricity and a bit less for gas in winter, fair bit less in summer. 2 people in a non insulated granny flat. The comparison chart thing on the bill says we use about a third of a one person home in our area.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Scomo has ordered the AFP to investigate The Guardian over leaks about the Israeli embassy move.

Why not just have a Royal loving Commission?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Who didn't see that coming a mile away?

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am protected from extremes of heat and cold by a thick layer of insulating blubber and would recommend the same to anyone looking to cut their power bills

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jesus Christ the Nats are blind and deaf.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Wish they’d investigate their gutless moderate liberalism

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Holy gently caress: http://www.scottmorrison.com.au

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1052899735084789763?s=19

quote:

Apparently, the Prime Minister forgot to renew his website and it expired today.
Some guy bought it for 50 bucks.
Now it just plays the punk song, 'Scotty Doesn't Know' by Lustra.
https://t.co/NA1SksHoNO
#Auspol

• Locked thread