Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

on the one hand it was probably worth it to watch those stuffy art people poo poo themselves in fear for about five seconds but you're crazy if you don't think nearly shredding it at least doubled its value. now it's not just a "Banksy" but "the Banksy that got shredded at Sotheby's"

Did you watch the end? It failed... It's was supposed to go right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rocksicles posted:

Did you watch the end? It failed... It's was supposed to go right through.

yeah but what's the difference? like, the painting is equally "ruined" whether it stopped shredding halfway through or finished the job, the shock value was the same, it's kind of a bummer that there's not a bunch of strips and instead a weird half-shredded piece but other than that the statement was made roughly the same

But, because the "ruining" left behind a discernible product that can be equally profited off of, it's just a big hoopla over nothing, and it would have had the same impact if the shredding had finished. Now, if Banksy had really wanted there to be a difference between the piece that was sold and what was left after the vandalism (is it still vandalism if someone else owns your work?), he would have found a way to torch it, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes that can't be displayed in some rich gently caress's entryway as a conversation piece. leave no trace, watch 850,000 euros go up in smoke, that would have been a much better action to take than the shredder IMO

edit: shredding it would be like making something flambè. it's very pretty and the act adds to the piece somewhat, but Banksy is supposed to be subversive. having some sort of trigger go off that would have genuinely destroyed the piece would have been much more in line with the point I think the artist was trying to make. no one was actually hurt here, either emotionally or financially.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

we're past the midpoint of October, you all know what that means...

It's Hannibal Season!

If they'd gone on to do The Silence of the Lambs, what's the most ridiculously violent thing they could've gotten out of it?

The scene where Lecter escapes his cell would've been one. Maybe they would've showed Buffalo Bill (did Fuller ever suggest who he'd have liked to cast as Bill?) actually skinning someone to make his woman suit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

If they'd gone on to do The Silence of the Lambs, what's the most ridiculously violent thing they could've gotten out of it?

The scene where Lecter escapes his cell would've been one. Maybe they would've showed Buffalo Bill (did Fuller ever suggest who he'd have liked to cast as Bill?) actually skinning someone to make his woman suit.

honestly, if a Mads-ibal Lector version of Silence ever happens (which I'm not gonna rule out because Bryan Fuller keeps talking about it), I'd be way more interested to see how they deal with the issue of gender. Silence of the Lambs is a movie/story where gender is at the very heart of it, and while "woman dealing in a man's world" is a classic that will never go out of style (and Fuller's suggestion of Ellen Page as Clarice Starling would have been *excellent*), the entire Buffalo Bill character is hilariously outdated and would have to be vastly overhauled to not have it be a weird gross transgender mockery.

You could take the character as a trans person but that would require some very, very careful wriiting to not make it shallow and offensive. a trans person who wants to become a woman, and begins to kill after being rejected for surgery really leans in to the idea of trans people as mentally unstable. On the other hand, removing that aspect basically removes the impetus for him to kill at all.

You could potentially lean into the white supremacist aspect (there's all sorts of swastika's laying around his house at the end) and remove the gender thing entirely, which would be very relevant, but it would be a lot harder to tie that into Clarice's story. If you do this it would be very easy to cast a Tessa Thompson/Zoe Kravitz/Amandla Stenberg type as Clarice but that really makes Hannibal's interest less interesting because Hannibal doesn't give a poo poo about race.

You could turn Clarice into a gay man very similar to Will Graham but with less issues and have Hannibal fall in love all over again with a facsimile of his one true love.

Or (the best option IMO), you could totally lean into it and have Clarice be trans. Cast someone like (insert cast member from Pose here, especially MJ Rodriguez or Indya Moore) as the first openly trans FBI cadet, have Buffalo Bill be roughly what he was in the movie and have the entire season deal incredibly directly with how trans people are seen by members of the psychiatric community/law enforcement. Women in the FBI, while still probably not equal, are much more common then they were almost 30 years ago, and I think the sort of story that can be told about someone who belongs to an agency where their people were not particularly welcome before would be very cool.

edit: The other problem with Silence made in continuity with everything else is that the TV has taken quite a bit of the most memorable stuff from Silence already, especially the weird psycho-sexual relationship between Hannibal and his hunter/prey. I also don't know how you would fit Will Graham into things, and even Hannibal would be taking a backseat to Clarice because the story is not his, it's hers. (another point in favor of having Clarice be trans, it would discourage them from hiring another tiny woman doing a slight southern accent in a no-nonsense manor. Anyone can do a Jodie Foster impression, but if you give the character new, different shades, they're less likely to just wholesale copy Foster's performance. Fishburne and Mikkelson had lots of different performances they could have taken cues from but they did very good jobs of creating their own characters and it's because they weren't just in the same situation all over again. Ironically, Eddie Izzard was basically doing a camp version of Hopkins' Lector (purposefully, of course) and Miriam Lass was definitely a riff on Foster, but the leads all had their own characters crafted.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 18, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Goddamn a lot of people don't have any idea Hole did an album before Live Through This huh

And yeah that documentary about Patty Schemel is great and sad

I was confused earlier because Celebrity Skin is the one with all the Corgan songs and that’s their third album

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly, if a Mads-ibal Lector version of Silence ever happens (which I'm not gonna rule out because Bryan Fuller keeps talking about it), I'd be way more interested to see how they deal with the issue of gender. Silence of the Lambs is a movie/story where gender is at the very heart of it, and while "woman dealing in a man's world" is a classic that will never go out of style (and Fuller's suggestion of Ellen Page as Clarice Starling would have been *excellent*), the entire Buffalo Bill character is hilariously outdated and would have to be vastly overhauled to not have it be a weird gross transgender mockery.

You could take the character as a trans person but that would require some very, very careful wriiting to not make it shallow and offensive. a trans person who wants to become a woman, and begins to kill after being rejected for surgery really leans in to the idea of trans people as mentally unstable. On the other hand, removing that aspect basically removes the impetus for him to kill at all.

Not that it makes it totally unproblematic, but both the book and the film have very clear lines of dialogue where they say that Buffalo Bill is not a "transsexual" as was the term at the time, but someone who displaces his hatred of himself into an attempt to become something completely other than what he is, in the most hosed up way possible. I don't see him as trans any more than Norman Bates is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah but what's the difference? like, the painting is equally "ruined" whether it stopped shredding halfway through or finished the job, the shock value was the same, it's kind of a bummer that there's not a bunch of strips and instead a weird half-shredded piece but other than that the statement was made roughly the same

But, because the "ruining" left behind a discernible product that can be equally profited off of, it's just a big hoopla over nothing, and it would have had the same impact if the shredding had finished. Now, if Banksy had really wanted there to be a difference between the piece that was sold and what was left after the vandalism (is it still vandalism if someone else owns your work?), he would have found a way to torch it, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes that can't be displayed in some rich gently caress's entryway as a conversation piece. leave no trace, watch go up in smoke, that would have been a much better action to take than the shredder IMO

edit: shredding it would be like making something flambè. it's very pretty and the act adds to the piece somewhat, but Banksy is supposed to be subversive. having some sort of trigger go off that would have genuinely destroyed the piece would have been much more in line with the point I think the artist was trying to make. no one was actually hurt here, either emotionally or financially.

It's just a shame the plan failed. It was well thought out, and would have been way cooler to completely shred it.
Risking fire in a wooden frame would have been grossly negligent act.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Not that it makes it totally unproblematic, but both the book and the film have very clear lines of dialogue where they say that Buffalo Bill is not a "transsexual" as was the term at the time, but someone who displaces his hatred of himself into an attempt to become something completely other than what he is, in the most hosed up way possible. I don't see him as trans any more than Norman Bates is.

in the 1980s and 1990s you would probably hear that about all trans people from anyone who wasn't familiar with trans people. back then (and even moreso when Psycho came out), being trans was seen as a mental disorder along the lines of schizophrenia, so the only representation in the media was of psychopaths. it was still very transphobic, though it was more out of complete lack of knowledge than pointed hatred. People wouldn't know the difference, even if they heard that line in there. Remember, at the end of Psycho there's a line similar to that handwaving away Norman being a "transvestite". (see also: multiple movies made around that time where being trans was a *SHOCKING TWIST ENDING*)

Norman Bates and Buffalo Bill are definitely not trans as we know trans people are today, but they're both characters whose gender abnormality is specifically painted as part of their fractured mental state. You couldn't make Silence today without addressing that any more than the lovely people behind Bates Motel couldn't remake Psycho without addressing Bates' gender/sexuality. Psycho's out is a little easier because Norman Bates being completely unable to deal with his mother's death and keeping her alive by becoming her means that the gender confusion is not the primary issue, but Buffalo Bill doesn't have anything like that. He "hates himself" and is a psychopath, but neither of these things specifically deal with his gender or require him to dress like a woman.

The other other option, going slightly more along the line of making him more explicitly a white supremacist, is to have Norman be an incel and his misguided attempts to become a woman are a gross misinterpretation of the idea that so many MRA types have that women have it easier. A sort of "well if being a man means that i don't get to have sex and everyone hates men, than I shall become a woman!"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Waiting for Golden Girls

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2018/03/28/gay-male-golden-girls-reboot-picked-development/ enjoy!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone watching Pine Gap. It's an intelligence who done it style show based in the joint US/Australian intel gathering facility.

It's pretty loving good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Quantum Leap hasn't been relaunched. Though I guess it does fall under the "Time Travel" genre that hasn't fared that well lately. How about we do a double header and relaunch Timecop, the series based on a movie?

I have trouble seeing a Quantum Leap reboot getting greenlit today for one reason: budget. The whole concept is built around not only jumping between new locations and characters every episode, but also between different time periods. Each of those is expensive enough on their own, let alone combined. Unlike Dr. Who, there isn't even a central location they can kill time and budget in like the TARDIS, unless they made the time travel facility in the future a much bigger part of the show.

Of course, they could totally retool is so that each season is a new leap instead of each episode. Which I actually think would be really compelling. So, uh, nevermind. Someone send that idea to Hollywood.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 18, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Saw The Connors last night, it's fine. Killing off Roseanne and making the family get all nostalgic about her on the show that already only exists purely on nostalgia was cynical and manipulative but sure why not.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I was confused earlier because Celebrity Skin is the one with all the Corgan songs and that’s their third album
That makes a lot of sense since you can imagine “Celebrity Skin” as a Smashing Pumpkins song.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Saw The Connors last night, it's fine. Killing off Roseanne and making the family get all nostalgic about her on the show that already only exists purely on nostalgia was cynical and manipulative but sure why not.

Were they supposed to ignore the character? Rosanne is bat poo poo crazy but the character deserved a send off.

Saying that i'm not watching it, because sitcom.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

Were they supposed to ignore the character? Rosanne is bat poo poo crazy but the character deserved a send off.

Saying that i'm not watching it, because sitcom.

Maybe that sounded differently than I meant it, but it wasn't supposed to be a slam.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

w/r/t Buffalo Bill he was very specifically pointed out to be not trans, and denied hormones and surgery from doctors because his issues were not with his gender and he just thought they were. In fact his not actually being trans was a big part of finding him, as Hannibal suggests looking for someone who had been denied reassignment more than once.

But yeah it would still need to be updated a bit to handle some of that better, more than likely. But the book handles it with surprising care for when it was published.

e: also my dream of lee pace as dolarhyde died with season 3 so my dream casting is fuller bringing him on to play bill.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 18, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Maybe that sounded differently than I meant it, but it wasn't supposed to be a slam.

Wasn't taken that way homie. You cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LGBT groups were going apeshit with the Buffalo Bill character when the movie came out. They could make it much more clear that the character is just insane and not trans, or they should probably just excise that whole part out. I'm not sure if they even have the rights to the Clarice character yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I haven’t seen anyone mention it here, but the next season of Orange is the New Black is the last one.

Im glad it’s ending. That show is a shadow of its excellent former self and has been for years. I think it’s hit the tipping point where it’s been bad longer than it was good.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

IRQ posted:

Roseanne was always a) just mindless popcorn TV, and b) successful because of its ensemble cast, so for me The Conners was business as usual. Does the show need to exist? Not really, but it's something that neatly fills in the gap between "I'm all caught up on my 'proper' shows" and "but I'm not ready to move from the couch or call it a night".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLcYJ7C4F0

November 16

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven’t seen anyone mention it here, but the next season of Orange is the New Black is the last one.

Im glad it’s ending. That show is a shadow of its excellent former self and has been for years. I think it’s hit the tipping point where it’s been bad longer than it was good.

I only just started watching the latest season (knowing it didn't get the best feedback), and man have they really run Suzanne into the ground. Good character played really well, but she's become the new Piper.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

LGBT groups were going apeshit with the Buffalo Bill character when the movie came out. They could make it much more clear that the character is just insane and not trans, or they should probably just excise that whole part out. I'm not sure if they even have the rights to the Clarice character yet.

Oh, no doubt about it def being something that could be improved or just not touched on entirely. I just mean the source handles it much better than one would expect for a novel written in 1988. The movie didn't touch on quite as much of Jame's past as it could have, though tbf the movie may have dragged a bit if they went too deep into some of that stuff so I get why they didn't. It's more Clarice's story.

Also yeah idk if they have the rights to Clarice or if the rights are just available now, or what. I'm assuming Lifetime's hold on them have lapsed by now since they never released anything?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
There's also the issue of how Hannibal ended. Is Hannibal captured? Is he even alive? Do they just have Starling not interact with Hannibal?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The changes Fuller made would definitely make it really weird to adapt Silence, even if they jushed it up to fit the new stuff. It would certainly lose something, for me anyway, if it turned into some wildly different way for Clarice and Hannibal to interact. I almost think they should just do something else.

Tho on the other hand I would love to move on from the Will stuff. Some of the changes around that ended up not sitting well with me in the end. I wasn't overly fond of how Red Dragon was handled, especially how rushed it was having so much of the first bit of the season be a quasi Hannibal adaptation.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrandonGK posted:

There's also the issue of how Hannibal ended. Is Hannibal captured? Is he even alive? Do they just have Starling not interact with Hannibal?

believe it or not, it ends on a cliffhanger

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't remember - did the Hannibal tv show incorporate anything from Hannibal Rising such as Hannibal's samurai training?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. The whole second season had japanese titles.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, and his aunt was referenced, wasn't she? Fuller picked the like ooonly good-ish things from it, and Mischa of course tho that was in Hannibal first.

Man that movie sucks but Gaspard Ulliel and Gong Li own.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

that rarified time in the 90s, when a penguin looking motherfucker's showing his rear end on TV hit the zeitgeist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
NYPD Blue was on for so long that it's last couple of seasons overlapped with the first season of :lost:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

esperterra posted:

:same: his Jeffree one was also A+

e: i really miss his fuckin podcast tho RIP

e2: also i hope he goes back to the more fun longform stuff after this series. i miss his dumb ghost hunting with his squad

Aaaaaand the new episode is 1:45 hours long. What the gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't see it mentioned but "No Activity" season 2 drops on November 22nd. All episodes at once.

I guess I'll catch it in late March when I subscribe to All Access for a month through Amazon to binge through Star Trek Discovery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3redcrg7s

I thought they screened Wheel contestants for being too smart

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3redcrg7s

I thought they screened Wheel contestants for being too smart

A really smart contestant will play dumb during screening ;)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Popelmon posted:

Aaaaaand the new episode is 1:45 hours long. What the gently caress.

Excited to start on my commute home!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You probably don't need me to tell you this, but if you enjoy adorable things, Hilda is a great show that an adult can watch, and also if you have kids they will probably love it too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but "No Activity" season 2 drops on November 22nd. All episodes at once.

I guess I'll catch it in late March when I subscribe to All Access for a month through Amazon to binge through Star Trek Discovery.

I’ll watch this. Hopefully they got a similar cast to the first season, that had some great names.

Also yes Hilda is a lovely show I binged it excessively quickly because it was so lovely

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how last night's episode of Sunny showed how TV standards have changed over the years. They showed a clip from the old Christmas special and bleeped out the "retard" but left Charlie's "did you gently caress my mom" rant uncensored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how last night's episode of Sunny showed how TV standards have changed over the years. They showed a clip from the old Christmas special and bleeped out the "retard" but left Charlie's "did you gently caress my mom" rant uncensored.

That may have been a creator's choice. There was a recent interview with Glenn Howerton, and he said that if he could do it over, he wouldn't have called one ep "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person".