Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
To be fair, Amy, Rory, and Clara were supposed to also do that, but the BBC kept seeing pound signs in Gillan, Darvill, and Coleman so they had to find flimsy excuses to bring them back after series 6 and 8 respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

corn in the bible posted:

Remember when Martha decided, gently caress, this is way too crazy and this relationship is unhealthy and left for her own adventures and that's the only time in 14 years someone has done that

She was recalled by the Rutan Military.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

When all of sci-fi, post 9-11 started asking "what if the morally unimpeachable characters had to do terrible things," I was actually quite relieved that the story of the war doctor ended with "no, you can find a way to do the right thing."

It's loving incredible. 10 and 11 show up and agree that War was right, it's necessary to kill a bunch of children to save the universe... then the one Doctor who has a companion present gets the kick up the rear end he needs to go,"Orrrrrrrr..... what if do this completely batshit insane thing instead!?!" and, of course, it works! :hellyeah:

10: We have a plan!
General: What plan?
11: To be honest, it's quite a terrible one!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

10: We have a plan!
General: What plan?
11: To be honest, it's quite a terrible one!

I imagine the General was very annoyed to waste time on obvious statements in a time of crisis

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Imagine being the Daleks. You've fought some mind-bending insane time war with a bunch of old assholes who have been running poo poo in the universe for 10 million years and you're WINNING, and it's down to the final moments and you've loving won forever and it's over and ultimate victory is finally yours.... and then all 12* Doctors show up and you just KNOW that they're gonna pull some bullshit :xd:

* No sir.....

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Imagine being the Daleks. You've fought some mind-bending insane time war with a bunch of old assholes who have been running poo poo in the universe for 10 million years and you're WINNING, and it's down to the final moments and you've loving won forever and it's over and ultimate victory is finally yours.... and then all 12* Doctors show up and you just KNOW that they're gonna pull some bullshit :xd:

* No sir.....

There's a lot of things that Moffat gets flak for, and a lot of it that is probably deserved, but I'm really glad he was in the chair for the 50th anniversary.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The 50th Anniversary was perfect in every way. Day, Night, 5ish, AAiSaT. It was all great.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The only real period of Moffat’s era that I really didn’t like was Smith’s latter two series. It was absolutely shocking to me that the 50th turned out so perfectly well and he didn’t succumb to his dumber writer impulses.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/river-song-series-6

River Song ends up in the middle of a classic TV story of the 2nd Doctor's. No word yet on if 2 will be showing up in this set...but I would be willing to bet it happens somehow.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you're an actor in the UK, be smart and try to land a bit part in Doctor Who. You never know when you'll be able to cash that check in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No sir, all thirt-, fourte-, twenty-sev-, uh...

Stop talking now, please.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

docbeard posted:

I think that specific thing happened, what, twice in basically ten years?

It's weird that it happened twice during Twelve's short tenure though. Moffat really did need a break

that said, gently caress Danny, I'm glad he's in robot hell

corn in the bible posted:

Remember when Martha decided, gently caress, this is way too crazy and this relationship is unhealthy and left for her own adventures and that's the only time in 14 years someone has done that

One of many reasons Martha is criminally underrated

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's weird that it happened twice during Twelve's short tenure though. Moffat really did need a break

that said, gently caress Danny, I'm glad he's in robot hell

One of many reasons Martha is criminally underrated

Another really good Martha moment was when the Doctor and Donna showed up and she'd not only gotten over the Doctor, but she was engaged, which Donna happily pointed out. Pity RTD had to throw that away at the end of his run with some incredibly lazy writing, but oh well

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Another really good Martha moment was when the Doctor and Donna showed up and she'd not only gotten over the Doctor, but she was engaged, which Donna happily pointed out. Pity RTD had to throw that away at the end of his run with some incredibly lazy writing, but oh well

Agreed, that was the best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

No sir, all thirt-, fourte-, twenty-sev-, uh...

Stop talking now, please.

There should have just been an uncountable number of TARDISes there. All sorts of varieties; cartoon ones, bad CGI ones, stuff like the Jade Pagoda, etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Soothing Vapors posted:

As hbomberguy pointed out in a video at the beginning of the year (which I just discovered), reusing ideas was kind of Moffat's thing. Like how the archive glass lady thing from his Christmas special (which stores the memories of people before they die) is basically the same thing as iCloud Heaven from the end of Capaldi's first season. Which itself is extremely similar to the computer system in Silence in the Library "saving" people into a computer system.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

As hbomberguy pointed out in a video at the beginning of the year (which I just discovered), reusing ideas was kind of Moffat's thing. Like how the archive glass lady thing from his Christmas special (which stores the memories of people before they die) is basically the same thing as iCloud Heaven from the end of Capaldi's first season. Which itself is extremely similar to the computer system in Silence in the Library "saving" people into a computer system.

Which is all very similar to the concept of The City of the Saved from Lawrence Miles' Faction Paradox series.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

And also the concept of the Matrix (the Gallifreyan one, not the movies).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Organza Quiz posted:

And also the concept of the Matrix (the Gallifreyan one, not the movies).

Didn't they call out the thing Missy had as being a Matrix fragment or something?

The_Doctor posted:

Which is all very similar to the concept of The City of the Saved from Lawrence Miles' Faction Paradox series.

"Maybe Lawrence Miles had a point" is not a thought I expected to have at any point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't they call out the thing Missy had as being a Matrix fragment or something?

I don't recall if it was that specific but it was definitely called out as Gallifreyan technology.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
What does Mad Larry think of the new show or did Chibnall also make fun of him for watching Bagpuss?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

More fantastic art:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1052937456356655105

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clouseau posted:

What does Mad Larry think of the new show or did Chibnall also make fun of him for watching Bagpuss?

Since you asked:

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/1049033137630715909

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Imagine being so empty and miserable inside that you dislike Bradley Walsh

just imagine it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Imagine being so empty and miserable inside that you dislike Bradley Walsh

just imagine it

I don't think he's saying that at all. That's based after just one episode in which Walsh did seem to come across as the comic relief. He got more serious notes in the latest ep, but Larry hasn't commented on that yet.

Chibnall does always seem to be forcing himself to act like he's having fun whenever he's being interviewed, though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

And I'm surprised there was so much gun talk without anyone posting the definitive Doctor Who Gun Speech. This is probably the clearest it's been spelled out, but it's something that's been consistent. It's not that the Doctor is strictly anti-violence (although there is a fairly consistent set of principles in which it's considered acceptable), but they are anti-weapon. A weapon, as Seven says, has a single purpose. It takes the place of considered action, it's a substitute for thinking things through.

I didn't want this thought to get lost, because it perfectly sums up the "the Doctor kills people" argument (hell, it sums up the gun control argument pretty well to and this is coming from someone who is semi-pro-gun myself). It's always as a last resort after he/she's tried everything else. You pull out a gun, there's only two things you can do with it - threaten or harm. Even using a gun to solve a problem involves threatening or harming something/someone.*

*Exceptions happen - see the cliffhanger to The Time of Angels.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bradley Walsh is great and Larry is an idiot

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think he's saying that at all.

the dude called Bradley Walsh the Jar Jar Binks of Doctor Who, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was saying.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

docbeard posted:

I don't recall if it was that specific but it was definitely called out as Gallifreyan technology.

They specifically said it was a Matrix slice, yeah.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1052967633820246017

I see Jodie's changing her shirt this episode...wonder if that'll be her little gimmick rather than new coats/jumpers

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Uh oh, the villains are greasers!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the dude called Bradley Walsh the Jar Jar Binks of Doctor Who, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was saying.

Lawrence Miles is a massive prequels fan

(also can we stop calling him Mad Larry, given he's tweeted about his problems with mental health on many occasions so it seems a bit crass)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Can someone tell me what the evil sheets said? I don’t know if it was my feed, my tv or my stupid American ears but I didn’t understand a word of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vinylshadow posted:

I see Jodie's changing her shirt this episode...wonder if that'll be her little gimmick rather than new coats/jumpers

Dr Who and the Proud Boys

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean, all of em changed shirts and things - Eccleston's jumpers, Tennant and Smith's shirts, Capaldi's everything. Not sure it counts as a gimmick

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Uh oh, the villains are greasers!

Just as long as they use the official Fight Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_piia0hKbo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

KilGrey posted:

Can someone tell me what the evil sheets said? I don’t know if it was my feed, my tv or my stupid American ears but I didn’t understand a word of it.

I cheated and grabbed a subtitle file: It was hard to make out between the accents and the vocal effect.

quote:

Finally, a big feast of lives.

[. . .]

Yes. Squeeze the life from all of you.

[. . .]

[to the Doctor] You can't save them. We smell your fear, too. The strongest of all.

[. . .]

[After the Doctor says she has a dozen lifetimes worth of fears] A dozen lives? We'll take you first.

[. . .]

THE NAUGHTIEST LINENS: You lead, but you're scared to. For yourself and for others. Afraid of your own newness. We see deeper, though. Further back. The timeless child.
:haw:: What did you just say?
LINENS: She doesn't know. [. . .] We see what's hidden, even from yourself. The outcast, abandoned and unknown.
:haw:: Get out of my head!
LINENS: Now we crush those fears from you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is that "Timeless Child" bit referring to something I'm missing? Or are we not supposed to know yet?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Is that "Timeless Child" bit referring to something I'm missing? Or are we not supposed to know yet?

presumably it's Bad Wolf version 11.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'd be okay if "the timeless child" was just a reference to a fear that the Doctor's beloved immaturity is ultimately a failing, that she won't be able to be the "grown-up" when necessary. There was a little of that in the second "season" of McGann's main range audios, and it would be a more interesting thread to follow up on than Capaldi repeatedly asking every onscreen character, piece of scenery, and the audience themselves whether or not he was "good."

But it was played like the next Big Important Forgettable Secret, so that's unlikely.