Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
The timeline is basically we have 4 directors and our executive manager reporting to our ceo. Our rising star director in the crisis department is leaving to take a new job. She and our ceo then had a meeting to plan out our organizations future. I was brought up in that meeting as someone who understands big picture, finances, etc

So the plan was to use this as a rare opportunity to restructure our org and if we lose some people so be it. We have some people with good hearts but below average skills in their current positions (as I understand it). The only director not impacted is our development director who handles grants and fund raising.

Based off my conversations with the ceo, we have basically 2 current directors that are under performing in their current roles (she inherited them). And she’s trying to shift them into new roles that better match their skills.

But yeah., the amount of change and my lack of experience I think is going to create some friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

f1av0r posted:

But yeah., the amount of change and my lack of experience I think is going to create some friction.

Oh, most definitely. Good luck. I’ll be interested to hear how it goes over with the other staff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

f1av0r posted:

The timeline is basically we have 4 directors and our executive manager reporting to our ceo. Our rising star director in the crisis department is leaving to take a new job. She and our ceo then had a meeting to plan out our organizations future. I was brought up in that meeting as someone who understands big picture, finances, etc

So the plan was to use this as a rare opportunity to restructure our org and if we lose some people so be it. We have some people with good hearts but below average skills in their current positions (as I understand it). The only director not impacted is our development director who handles grants and fund raising.

Based off my conversations with the ceo, we have basically 2 current directors that are under performing in their current roles (she inherited them). And she’s trying to shift them into new roles that better match their skills.

This sounds way more reasonable. One way to help is to interview for the position. This would be potentially self limited due to the panel composition (you can either apply or be on the panel.) even if it's pre-ordained it can help others through the transition.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It dawned on me today that I should start using the envelope method to control my spending. I'm not very good at sticking to my budget and I'm frequently hundreds of dollars off it at the end of a month. I'm going to try it with my broad "Fun" budget and "Date" budget which are the worst offenders. Ive got new Ally accounts for each one that I'll have contribute the budgeted amount to and spend only from for those categories.

The joke is that I am a terrible miser and never want to spend money on anything. New game that I really want to play? Eh it will be 50% on a steam sale in 3 years. Going out with GF to some cultural event in town? Nah lets just stay in its cheaper.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

What happened to the BWM thread? I can’t see it here or in the gas chamber.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DuckConference posted:

What happened to the BWM thread? I can’t see it here or in the gas chamber.

College finance thread

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I literally stopped following the thread because I didn't notice the name change and thought I had accidentally clicked on a thread I wasn't interested in following. Turns out I was right!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's literally the best thread at all times but for different reasons

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I just came here to post this YouTube video I was just recommended.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

For new AND existing Ally bank customers, they are offering a 1% bonus on cash moved to Ally (up to $1k), but you have to opt in before the 21st: https://allypaybacktime.com/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

For new AND existing Ally bank customers, they are offering a 1% bonus on cash moved to Ally (up to $1k), but you have to opt in before the 21st: https://allypaybacktime.com/

Oh for fucks sake I just moved my money into there a few weeks ago.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

So as an Ally customer, I’d have to withdraw everything, register and the push back in?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Cacafuego posted:

So as an Ally customer, I’d have to withdraw everything, register and the push back in?

Likely will have a lookback period. This is just a reward to people who hopped over to higher interest rate accounts.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

So I'm already at Ally and my savings accounts will only increase about 200 a month and may decrease if I have a big expense. Is there any benefit to signing up for this?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Anybody doing rebalancing by bands right now? My allocation was pretty far off and I didn't even realize until I went in to look at how things got shook up.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

100% World Equities baybeeeee. Who needs rebalancing when you’re young and under 250k assets.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

moana posted:

Anybody doing rebalancing by bands right now? My allocation was pretty far off and I didn't even realize until I went in to look at how things got shook up.

I always rebalance (also by bands) right after open enrollment, because I only have the motivation to do one onerous task at a time. So this will be me in a week or so. I’m sure we’re going to be off this year because we spent a stupid amount of money turning a manchild’s shack into a livable house. Yay California real estate, do never buy, etc.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Can someone reassure me that it's ok to spend $$$ on professional movers? I hate to pay for it after going broke on deposit/some overlapping rent/utility deposits, but otherwise it will be me, my medically disabled partner, and my 55 year old dad doing all the heavy lifting.

Self move: $200-300 truck and accessories
Movers: $800-900

I've finally had credit cards at zero for a decent stretch and I can probably hustle together the cash, but man, ouch.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Mocking Bird posted:

Can someone reassure me that it's ok to spend $$$ on professional movers? I hate to pay for it after going broke on deposit/some overlapping rent/utility deposits, but otherwise it will be me, my medically disabled partner, and my 55 year old dad doing all the heavy lifting.

I've finally had credit cards at zero for a decent stretch and I can probably hustle together the cash, but man, ouch.
My wife and I paid $600 for movers the last time around and I 0% regret it. Absolutely worth the effort-saving if you can afford it. Just make sure all your poo poo is as packed as possible beforehand and it'll just be three guys lobbing your poo poo into a truck faster than you thought was possible. It's amazing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I pay people for a lot of jobs I don't want to do. I think it's a good use of money, provided you understand you're making a choice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mocking Bird posted:

Moving is a miserable experience, paying movers is 100000% worth it and I strongly recommend it.

If you want to cheap out a bit, check out Uhaul's Moving Help site: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/. You can read reviews and see what the per-hour rate is for everyone, I've done this every time I've moved apartments (which is too many loving times) and never had a bad experience. Rent your own truck, then get the movers to load/unload it for you, or have them pack your boxed AND load it, most will even drive the truck for you if you want. Last couple times I've used MovingHelp I probably paid <=$300, plus tip.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mocking Bird posted:

Make sure you get a Certificate of Insurance from whomever you use, lookup their insurance company on the internet, call them to verify the insurance is in force, and if you are moving expensive medical equipment you need to get that value declared in writing. Otherwise it's something like $0.60 / lb if they break it. Often times this means the movers charge you to pack the item. For example if your medically disabled partner has a special bed, chairs, or transfer equipment pay them to pack it and insure it at the replacement cost.

Movers are 100% worth it for the stuff that doesn't fit in standard size boxes. They can move in a few hours what it would take you all drat day. You will have enough to do post move that breaking your back moving isn't a great idea. Get everything (everything) into boxes before they arrive save for your suitcase of stuff you need to live for a day. You don't need to transfer it anywhere, on the floor where you packed it is fine.

If something is "too precious" for movers, move it yourself ahead of time.

Remember your 55 year old dad is probably stronger than you. :v:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Movers it is!

Luckily my partner doesn't have medical equipment to move, Crohn's disease and arthritis makes the prospect of hours of physical labor daunting but our belongings are not particularly valuable.

My dad is a 6'3 cross fit enthusiast who is convinced he can move all my furniture by himself so at this point I think I need to hire movers just to prevent him from hulking a washing machine into the back of a pick up on his own and hurting himself.

I'll check out the uhaul moving help option, that sounds viable since my dad is more than happy to drive the big ol' truck

Moving right before hosting ten people for thanksgiving is giving me an ulcer

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Mocking Bird posted:

Movers it is!

Luckily my partner doesn't have medical equipment to move, Crohn's disease and arthritis makes the prospect of hours of physical labor daunting but our belongings are not particularly valuable.

My dad is a 6'3 cross fit enthusiast who is convinced he can move all my furniture by himself so at this point I think I need to hire movers just to prevent him from hulking a washing machine into the back of a pick up on his own and hurting himself.

I'll check out the uhaul moving help option, that sounds viable since my dad is more than happy to drive the big ol' truck

Moving right before hosting ten people for thanksgiving is giving me an ulcer

Listen if you wanna get him and his whole box to make a competition of it, the Cross Fit types are GREAT people to help you move. But the guys who do it professionally are that big and strong AND they know how not to gently caress up your poo poo or their backs so, pay them?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I mean, it does seem cruel to deny a grown man the opportunity to carry a three seater couch up some steep front steps by himself, but I think I'll probably get movers since I don't think he has a life insurance policy.

I also just found out my current landlord is willing to waive 30 days notice and prorate my rent and refund me the final days of November if I move by the 20th (I love the man and I'll miss him), so I'm putting that "bonus" $600 saved on overlapping rent towards the movers fund

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Tip the moving people. Tip them extremely well. In cash.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Tip the moving people. Tip them extremely well. In cash.

Thiiiiisssss

Movers, when good, can turn a 7AM-9PM slog into an 8-3 walk in the park. 3D Tetris masters of fitting poo poo in the truck, they move stuff way faster because they know how to handle heavy poo poo. As long as you've packed the non-furniture stuff into boxes and whatnot, you'll be floored with how smoothly things go using movers compared to having friends lug poo poo around in exchange for pizza and beer.

But still offer pizza if not beer too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Mocking Bird posted:

I mean, it does seem cruel to deny a grown man the opportunity to carry a three seater couch up some steep front steps by himself, but I think I'll probably get movers since I don't think he has a life insurance policy.

I also just found out my current landlord is willing to waive 30 days notice and prorate my rent and refund me the final days of November if I move by the 20th (I love the man and I'll miss him), so I'm putting that "bonus" $600 saved on overlapping rent towards the movers fund

That's just you cookin'

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nthing hiring movers, it just makes everything so much easier.

Buy them lunch. Tip each guy on the crew in cash. Enjoy a relatively stress-free day.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Moving yourself/your buddy's stuff is what you do in your 20s when you live in a studio, and your time is worth pizza and beer. (plus your back is invincible!)

Pay the pros.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Moving yourself/your buddy's stuff is what you do in your 20s when you live in a studio, and your time is worth pizza and beer. (plus your back is invincible!)

Pay the pros.

When you hit your 30s you're only one "bending over to pick up a thing off the floor" away from hurting yourself for absolutely no reason and taking several months to get back to normal again.

Hire someone.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just wanted to post/brag? about recognizing and reeling in a bad $$ temptation in the middle of a situation that seemed to be snowballing out of control.

I'm not usually a Black Friday shopper by personal rules since I used to work retail, but this year my husband and I agreed that instead of Christmas presents we'd go all in on a big treat - a new couch set or sectional, in very nice leather that could last 20+ years with proper care. We set our budget and began looking last week. It felt like everything was culminating to Black Friday. After ~10 stores we were finally coming to an agreement on exactly what we liked (our budget was high so we were extremely picky and basically building Barbie's Dream Couch in our heads) but we were getting more and more frustrated that the things that looked right weren't very comfy, and the things that were comfy were ugly/not our style. All the sales were ending soon, it was ~3pm on Black Friday when we finally found a model that ticked all the boxes. The display was as comfy as a dream and everything in store was 30% off. But after the salesperson ran to the back to print out our customized price quote it was a bit over our budget. Well, since it's perfect, maybe it's okay? But oh wait, the dimensions of the sectional are backward from what we told you. And the corner is L-shaped instead of an extra corner seat we told you to put in the quote. And whoops, on this quote you accidentally took out the memory foam cushions we had on the last one, please add that back. It took 30 minutes in between each quote fuckup for her to come out of the back room with a new drat quote, and meanwhile we were wasting time choosing the fabrics to be our "Free 4 throw pillows with purchase" which turned into "Oh wait, it's actually just 3 pillows." and finally "Oh drat, I talked to my manager and if you're doing leather it doesn't come with any free pillows". By the end of this 3 hour song and dance our price quote was nearly double our budget after sales tax, the (admittedly amazing) protection plan, and delivery. I was nearly in tears by the end, we were working so hard to build what would be perfect and it kept scooting farther out of reach until it was an unfathomable number. We were so very near signing to be done with it all when I panicked and told my husband we had to pull the plug and bail.

Salespeople know when you've been shopping forever and just want to make a decision in order to go home. They know that it feels like poo poo to shop constantly for a week and walk home with nothing on the best sale day of the year. They knew that we were ready to throw in the towel and buy something nearly double our budget just to be rid of the uncomfortable day and feel like we walked out with a weight off our shoulders. gently caress that. We're now getting a Nintendo Switch instead for our easy co-Xmas present to each other. We'll watch the prices of sectionals we liked and casually shop throughout 2019 and maybe try again next Black Friday.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
This spoke to me on a deep level. We just moved to a new and bigger home (I did get movers for the record, worth every goddamn penny) and I wanted a new couch because our apartment sized loveseat wasn't going to cut it. I found one I liked, but the price was just astronomical compared to what my budget should look like for "nice but not necessary" purchases. It really does suck to put all the effort in and then walk away from a discount on something you really like but is just too expensive.

(We ended up going with buying a matching couch and ottoman to our ikea loveseat rather than replacing it with a pseudo designer sectional, $700 instead of $2000. The kids will only destroy it anyway...)

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

a new couch set or sectional, in very nice leather that could last 20+ years with proper care.

We shopped around for a new couch recently and the only options for one built well enough to last 20+ years were all ugly, uncomfortable, and > $5,000. And probably would have taken 4-8 weeks to deliver.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We bought a new couch because ours is 40 years old and hurts to sit on. Spent quite a bit but it should last a long time

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Droo posted:

We shopped around for a new couch recently and the only options for one built well enough to last 20+ years were all ugly, uncomfortable, and > $5,000. And probably would have taken 4-8 weeks to deliver.

Why would you spend $5000 on an ugly couch to last 20 years when you can spend $1000-2000 on a couch that will last 10 years and then can be put in a basement or something whenever it gets too ratty to be your nice couch

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Why would you spend $5000 on an ugly couch to last 20 years when you can spend $1000-2000 on a couch that will last 10 years and then can be put in a basement or something whenever it gets too ratty to be your nice couch

I know that's crazy right, you could get 2 months worth of dinners for that $5,000 instead.

I didn't buy an ugly expensive couch, I just shopped around at places that included expensive custom stores. I was just pointing out to drat Bananas that the couch she ended up not buying probably wasn't going to last 20+ years anyway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Couch chat: anyone own an Ikea Kivik, chaise version? I need a new sofa when I move soon-ish and really like the look (and price!) of this, but have read a few reviews that say the cushion in the chaise portion is a different material than the rest of the sofa and seems to wear out a lot faster. I could just pick up the regular 3-seater plus an ottoman if that is the case, but really want the chaise part of it if it doesn't suck.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Droo posted:

I know that's crazy right, you could get 2 months worth of dinners for that $5,000 instead.

I didn't buy an ugly expensive couch, I just shopped around at places that included expensive custom stores. I was just pointing out to drat Bananas that the couch she ended up not buying probably wasn't going to last 20+ years anyway.

Exactly, unless you are talking about a formal dining table or armoire or some other piece of relatively light duty hardwood furniture nothing you ever buy is going to last 20 years and nothing like a couch is going to remain tasteful for that long either. There is no point in paying a handsome premium for extreme longevity for stuff like a couch or coffee table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't expect something to last forever if it's designed to hold an rear end and get farted on