Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked how they handled it in Galavant. Where all the main characters break out into song and the extras all try to avoid them because they're acting ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'm pleased to see that the thread stopped turning into the "I used to jerk it to/want to smash X actress" thread.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Attacking people is never cool but I admit I'm kinda amused at the idea of somebody doing it because they think GoT was a documentary and couldn't understand how Joff came back to life.
The worst example of this to me is Anna Gunn because she actually wasn't a bad guy on the show so a lot of the hate came from annoyance with a tv character and a humongous amount of misogyni. :smith:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Joffrey didn’t retire rich from GoT, all you guys who don’t know what tv actors in second tier roles get paid. He could maybe buy a house. A small one, in an ok town.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked how they handled it in Galavant. Where all the main characters break out into song and the extras all try to avoid them because they're acting ridiculous.

IIRC that only happens a few times with the monks and when they start singing the season 1 song at the start of season 2.

Oh, and with Galavant’s moment in the sun of course.

What a show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chicago Hope had a musical episode in 1997.

The Dennis Potter miniseries The Singing Detective with Michael Gambon was partly a musical (one of the half-dozen or so genres it had) and it is one of the greatest television series ever made.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Oct 18, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There was a photo I saw recently of the cast of Enterprise on set with some of them dressed in Rocky Horror costumes.

It makes me wish that had been an actual episode: Halloween on the Enterprise.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Fraiser talk has reminded me of the only time I ever saw my mum laughing so hard at a tv that I thought she might pass out and it was the little scene where Niles is ironing his trousers to classical music. There is no dialogue just slapstick acting and my goodness is it marvellous.

If it ever comes up on TV, and it is usually in some best of comedy compilations, and she sees it she will laugh herself silly all over again :D

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s funny how for us millennials Frasier was the bomb but Cheers might as well not exist as an actual show. (You still need the theme song and the phrase “where everybody knows your name”). It shows you how clearly and where the line of childhood is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

It’s funny how for us millennials Frasier was the bomb but Cheers might as well not exist as an actual show. (You still need the theme song and the phrase “where everybody knows your name”). It shows you how clearly and where the line of childhood is.

I remember some confusion when an Adventure Time episode has a guy in the freshly post-apocalyptic world sing that song to amuse a child and a lot of the audience including me didn't know where it was from. Some poster (not on SA) got really mad and confused at the idea that people wouldn't know it.

Seems like Frasier plays pretty well to kids too, surprisingly, even if they wouldn't get a lot of the jokes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cheers had too much... going on. Frasier had fewer moving parts and was easier to digest.

I've been meaning to revisit the episode where Frasier has an old family heirloom that turns out to be a Fabergé egg and he is super excited at the idea of being long lost royalty.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

MariusLecter posted:

I've been meaning to revisit the episode where Frasier has an old family heirloom that turns out to be a Fabergé egg and he is super excited at the idea of being long lost royalty.

We're descended from thieves and whores.

Also, Cheers has the same great snappy dialogue and jokes as Frasier but has aged a lot worse mostly because of Sam's misogyny. He's not really supposed to be the "good guy" but some of his escapades with women are pretty appalling

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Video Graves posted:

The Fraiser talk has reminded me of the only time I ever saw my mum laughing so hard at a tv that I thought she might pass out and it was the little scene where Niles is ironing his trousers to classical music. There is no dialogue just slapstick acting and my goodness is it marvellous.

If it ever comes up on TV, and it is usually in some best of comedy compilations, and she sees it she will laugh herself silly all over again :D

I'm the same as your mum — it is an incredible piece of classic slapstick, and I can't help but laugh myself mental whenever it comes on. It takes serious skill to pull that off, and DHP makes it look so easy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

Joffrey didn’t retire rich from GoT, all you guys who don’t know what tv actors in second tier roles get paid. He could maybe buy a house. A small one, in an ok town.

They don't get paid much from GoT, but everyone involved in GoT is in super high demand right now, so you still get the money. That does not work when you retire right after your character dies, though.

Maybe Joffrey was still rich from all that Dark Knight money.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The best musical tv show is the CGI Donkey Kong Country cartoon, obviously.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe Joffrey was still rich from all that Dark Knight money.

I looked him up on imdb, he probably pulled in 350-450k for his entire career so far. That’s in UK pounds, before taxes, agents percentage etc. That’s not peanuts, but it’s not set for life money.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrUnderbridge posted:

:corsair: I remember watching Fridays, dimly, since I was generally baked.

Besides Michael Richards "# 1 with a bullet" "gag", I recall a couple of other bits.

One was a skit about two guys who were transphibians, wearing prosthetic grills and big eyes. They just spent five minutes asking to be understood and accepted, but were treated as creepy weirdos.

Another was an African explorer bit where the token black guy on the cast asks a white guy in a pith helmet:

"What island is this?"
"The Island of Yumama"
"Say what? "
Tedious reaches for edgy racial humor follow.

Pretty much everyone agreed the show was feeble and if you didn't have HBO, the only thing on Fridays after the news.

There was also The New Show, another NBC sketch show. The one sketch I remember was John Candy playing a food repair man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No one ever seems to remember Not Necessarily the News even though that's how Julia-Louis Dreyfus got her start and she's still married to her co-star from that show.

It's probably aged horribly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

No one ever seems to remember Not Necessarily the News even though that's how Julia-Louis Dreyfus got her start and she's still married to her co-star from that show.

It's probably aged horribly.

That was the US version of Not the Nine O'clock News. So yes, it probably has aged horribly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm the same as your mum — it is an incredible piece of classic slapstick, and I can't help but laugh myself mental whenever it comes on. It takes serious skill to pull that off, and DHP makes it look so easy.

The secret to the scene is that at no point does Niles panic, he approaches every slapped stick like just one more small crisis he has to deal with before moving on to the next

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Great Metal Jesus posted:

The fact that most of the main cast of Buffy can't sing really didn't help sell it for me.

Uhh i think you’ll find that giles has the voice of an angel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq2vaP2cLU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

He's better than his brother, for sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

The secret to the scene is that at no point does Niles panic, he approaches every slapped stick like just one more small crisis he has to deal with before moving on to the next

The look on his face when the couch goes up in flames and he just stares at it makes me lose it every time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am also SO partial to his self admonishment about running with scissors.

Goodness it is just an amazing bit of character acting. Eddie watching intently really sells the comic absurdity. :D

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Bob's Burgers has at least one song every show and it's perfect.

Bob's Burgers works (mostly) because most of the songs consist of dumb little things the characters like to sing to themselves in-character or incidental background music, with the occasional brief dream sequence. The actual musical bits are still usually not good.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

The Bee posted:

The best musical tv show is the CGI Donkey Kong Country cartoon, obviously.

TV songs that aged badly, I think not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14-EJHaJIg

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I remember watching Frazier growing up, but it wasn’t until about a week ago that I started watching Cheers. Definitely worth it IMO.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

We're descended from thieves and whores.

Also, Cheers has the same great snappy dialogue and jokes as Frasier but has aged a lot worse mostly because of Sam's misogyny. He's not really supposed to be the "good guy" but some of his escapades with women are pretty appalling

Ummm... even at the time Sam was shown as being a dick about women. The other characters might have been "Good old Sammy!", but the audience was aware that the show mocked him more than celebrated his behavior.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Jedit posted:

He's better than his brother, for sure.
It’s never a good sign for a singer when your big #1 internationally known single doesn’t feature you actually singing.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Urgh you just made me remember "Repo! The Genetic Opera".

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Urgh memories of rolling about a living room floor stoned out my nut while 2 Goths played that horrible song from that movie about the gun going against her anatomy.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

CrRoMa posted:

Urgh memories of rolling about a living room floor stoned out my nut while 2 Goths played that horrible song from that movie about the gun going against her anatomy.
Thanks my goon, that's exactly what I wanted on my brain. :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Video Graves posted:

I am also SO partial to his self admonishment about running with scissors.

Goodness it is just an amazing bit of character acting. Eddie watching intently really sells the comic absurdity. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CrRoMa posted:

Zydrate comes in a little glass vial!

That movie gets a pass for me entirely based on Paris Hilton's performance.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ummm... even at the time Sam was shown as being a dick about women. The other characters might have been "Good old Sammy!", but the audience was aware that the show mocked him more than celebrated his behavior.

My understanding when the show was happening was Sam was never really looked up to for anything past his baseball stories. Everyone knew he was a sleeze with women so the "Good old Sammy" comments were more 'there he goes again, here's my not surprised face'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Straight White Shark posted:

Bob's Burgers works (mostly) because most of the songs consist of dumb little things the characters like to sing to themselves in-character or incidental background music, with the occasional brief dream sequence. The actual musical bits are still usually not good.

Bad Things Happen in the Bathroom is great stuff though. :colbert:

https://youtu.be/xDiuSwrRQ4M

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

My understanding when the show was happening was Sam was never really looked up to for anything past his baseball stories. Everyone knew he was a sleeze with women so the "Good old Sammy" comments were more 'there he goes again, here's my not surprised face'.

And Ted Danson hated playing that part of Sam's character, too, to the extent that he had a bit of a PTSD flashback when he got behind a bar for The Good Place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

The other joke was that he was a horrible baseball player. All the stories of "Mayday" Malone were about him being black out drunk and giving up like 5 home runs an inning as a relief pitcher.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

Zydrate comes in a little glass vial!

That movie gets a pass for me entirely based on Paris Hilton's performance.
That was perfect casting.
It could have been a fun campy movie and it totally was when she was in a scene but it just took itself way to seriously. Even as a dumb scene kid hated that I paid like 9 bucks for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
So as well as some Python sketches dating badly, turns out elements of Graham Chapman's funeral didn't age too well either:

Wikipedia posted:

A private memorial service for Chapman was held at St Bartholomew's on 3 December, two months after his death. The service began with a chorus of the hymn "Jerusalem" sung in Engrish with a mock Chinese accent.