Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"DON'T INTERRUPT ME!" Cruz demands before insisting that we can be civil to one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

IM TALKING ABOUT HOW CIVIL I AM DONT loving INTERRUPT ME

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Omg the moderator called Cruz out.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Skex posted:

Omg the moderator called Cruz out.

I'm at work and can't watch. Details please!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm at work and can't watch. Details please!

Cruz said it's possible to disagree with civility, the moderator tried questioning him on that, Cruz snapped DON'T INTERRUPT ME

(or it was a different moment that I missed)

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Hahaha that pause

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Senator, can you please, just for a few moments pretend to be human?"

"..."

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Ted Cruz: And in conclusion, America is a land of contrasts.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

isk posted:

Cruz said it's possible to disagree with civility, the moderator tried questioning him on that, Cruz snapped DON'T INTERRUPT ME

No I was referring to the question before that and the moderator was "with all do respect Senator I was covering you and you something something.." I don't even remember what it was about it stunned me so much.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Skex posted:

No I was referring to the question before that and the moderator was "with all do respect Senator I was covering you and you something something.." I don't even remember what it was about it stunned me so much.

poo poo, my bad

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

isk posted:

poo poo, my bad

Well to be fair Cruz gives essentially the same non answer string of right wing trigger words every time he makes noise.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Skex posted:

Well to be fair Cruz gives essentially the same non answer string of right wing trigger words every time he makes noise.

cruz is smart to remind people that even though he's a disgusting alien fish monster who murdered a series of people in california over the course of two decades, if youre a republican and you vote for him you'll get a steadfast and reliable senator for everything you want in an elected representative (lib owning and lib triggering).

being able to credibly say that if you win your base will get the things they want no matter how they feel about you personally is a big advantage republicans have over dems

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1052291099493056513

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Covering all US/Mexico border fencing with signs would have been so much better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1052554594667118592

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1052555040945307649

UHC there you go

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gaze into the dreamy face of Beto!

Down with the reactionary Ted!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I know most of us probably wanted him to attack Cruz more but I do wonder how much of his appeal, if at all, is based on the fact that he wouldn’t do that.

People love to say they hate negative ads but they do work a lot of the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those are barely negative tho and they don't use any of the usual tricks like the bad pictures of the opponent, reversing into negatives and the scary voice announce guy.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

zoux posted:

Those are barely negative tho and they don't use any of the usual tricks like the bad pictures of the opponent, reversing into negatives and the scary voice announce guy.

To be fair, every picture of Ted Cruz is a bad picture.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CHueyBurns/status/1052378239862231042

Just loving lol

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1052575414139461633

That's a strong ad, you probably haven't heard about the Teacher Retirement System crisis because public pensions are boring but they're about to do a major benefit cut and the retired teachers are mad as gently caress about it. This is a state level thing though so not sure what Senator Beto could do about it, but it'll certainly make some former teachers perk up their ears. Also stay safe out there San Saba county

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1052574272164700161
Oh cmon now

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 17, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So an incredibly appealing, attractive, and charismatic Democrat who's been given fawning national media attention and is armed with more money than God is going to lose by around 6-8 points to a pile of mashed potatoes who literally no one likes and has been publicly humiliated non-stop for the past 2 years? And this is what qualifies as a moral victory for the Texas Dems?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

nuclear take my man

e: for some content

no losing by 6-8 wouldn't really be a moral victory, losing by 1-3 points would though because the GOP machine and entrenched base here has made a demographically red-but-pockets-of-deep-blue-and-violet state seem way deeper red than it should be

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2018

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Also Beto's coattails would maybe drag a couple of State Senate to the Democrat corner and half a dozen State house seats as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Also Beto's coattails would maybe drag a couple of State Senate to the Democrat corner and half a dozen State house seats as well.

If Dems come within one seat of 3/5s in the state Senate, man....

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Yes. Gallego losing made that path forward almost impossible. That was brutal. I put money on Hurd the next day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How *are* we feeling about state congress, anyway? Governor's obviously not happening, but I haven't seen any reporting/polling on those races even from local outlets.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/703984812105793536?lang=en

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1052529703800721408

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How *are* we feeling about state congress, anyway? Governor's obviously not happening, but I haven't seen any reporting/polling on those races even from local outlets.

Dallas is the big battleground focus this cycle. A lot of Republican incumbents in districts that went for Hillary in 2016.

In Dallas, keep an eye on Matt Rinaldi and Victoria Neave's respective races.
In San Antonio, Philip Cortez's race is a battleground, but his opponent isn't doing much.
In Houston, Sarah Davis might get waved, but she is a good incumbent.
In Austin, Vikki Goodwin in 47 is trying to take on Paul Workman, the last R in Travis Co.

Williamson County also has James Talarico, who has run a brilliant campaign and hopefully will go to the Capitol in January.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senate's a little more firm, I think SD 10 (Ft Worth, and Wendy's old district) and 16 in Dallas are possible, at least the PACs are spending heavily there. Also Schwertner, he of the alleged dick pick, is up vs. a woman but his district is Bryan/College Station over to WilCo so they probably won't care.

Also congress means the US congress, state is legislature

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I personally hope to vote out Joan Huffman but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

No Safe Word posted:

I personally hope to vote out Joan Huffman but I'm not expecting it to happen.

I personally hope that all of the poling is wrong and that the GOP are delivered a giant gently caress you come Nov 6th. I'm probably wrong but I remain stubbornly optimistic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skex posted:

I personally hope that all of the poling is wrong and that the GOP are delivered a giant gently caress you come Nov 6th. I'm probably wrong but I remain stubbornly optimistic.

*All of the Texas polling.

There's plenty of national polling that I very much hope is proven turbo-correct in a few weeks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i maintain this is the most consequential policy / political trend in texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_xfxfPJ1Y

the republican party really emerged in texas in the 1980s by fusing the white rural / exurban vote with the booming suburban vote; hanging the cities around democrat necks. this is the republican firewall that allowed the party to dominate the state for a generation. if you look at election maps of texas in presidential years it was counties such as collin that flashed bright "red" for reagan. that was/is the republican base.

i think hank hill, despite being a cartoon character, is the like the singular texas republican voter in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64MkJ1fe46c

exurban/suburban homeowner. assistant manager at a small business. his interests are in good schools for his kids and low taxes. but there's a contradiction as property taxes pay for the schools. at the same time, the republican party serves the interests of commercial property developers who are underpaying, so as a result guys like hank hill are getting screwed.

the GOP tax bill also lowered the maximum amount of property taxes homeowners could deduct from their federal income taxes. in the press, this was widely reported as disproportionately hurting "blue" coastal states. but it's also hurting texan homeowners. middle-class homeowners are also much more likely to vote than the working poor.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

exurban/suburban homeowner. assistant manager at a small business. his interests are in good schools for his kids and low taxes. but there's a contradiction as property taxes pay for the schools.

There’s actually zero contradiction because school resources have no significant impact on educational outcomes, good schools are just those that start with good students.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wolf Pussy posted:

There’s actually zero contradiction because school resources have no significant impact on educational outcomes, good schools are just those that start with good students.

According to whom, because everything I've read says differently

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good soup! posted:

According to whom, because everything I've read says differently

Well, the Republican leadership and education policy makers for one. You see the problem isn't lack of spending, it's waste, abuse and bad teachers. If anything we spend TOO MUCH on public education here in the state of Texas.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

*All of the Texas polling.

There's plenty of national polling that I very much hope is proven turbo-correct in a few weeks.

No i mean all of the polling. I'm wanting the LV screens to be shredded to the point that the statisticians spend years trying to figure out how wrong they were, I want a blue loving Tsunami to the point where the surviving Republican Senators are falling over themselves to place President Pelosi in the Oval Office in the futile hopes to avoid the coming purge.

I want the 50% of the population that tends to be more progressive than the voting population to come out and deliver such a thorough and complete rebuke of the Republican Party and Conservative ideology that they are relegated to permanent minority status. Then I want the Democrats to investigate the living poo poo out of every elected Republican, freshly unseated Republican and right wing talking head and think tank and the entire loving conservative movement. Every dark money donor every conservative judge.

I mean it probably won't happen because we're in the hell timeline but that's what I want to see happen.

That said I do feel relatively confident that the polls are understating the coming wave. There has been a shift of mood in the country when it comes to this poo poo. Notice that the open anger and desperation of the Kavanaugh hearings have given way to a determined resolve. Lefties aren't marching in the streets they are marching to the ballot boxes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1052951731414474753

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Wolf Pussy posted:

Entirely coincidental is that good schools with good students are also have good resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Entirely coincidental is that good schools with good students are also have good resources.

Good parents produce both good children and good resources.