Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Stay safe, OSHA ghost :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I honestly want Seattle to be the worlds number one destination for tiny cannon, tiny cannon balls, and tiny wooden forts or sailing ships.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RandomPauI posted:

I honestly want Seattle to be the worlds number one destination for tiny cannon, tiny cannon balls, and tiny wooden forts or sailing ships.
It does have the center for wooden boats, so they just need to scale it down

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0&t=23s

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
OooooooOoooooOOooo an operator is not required to hang a lock if they are in direct control of the isolation device, per our policy. I consider that reasonable, and it's been an element of every policy I've worked under.

Any policy which permits working in live cabinets would have allowed me to energize myself, in any case.

Those seven deaths were nationwide, as far as I know. Foundry work is a risky field, and presents more opportunities than usual for severe injury.

My incident is absolutely due to inattention and complacency, and would have been prevented by deenergizing the panel while I worked in it. I was not injured, but any exposure to 480 is a death narrowly avoided.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm all for reasonable tag out and individual source control because locking everything always can be enough of a burden to cause people to skirt LOTO anyway.

But I can't fathom a modern safety policy where that applies for an operator sticking their mitt into an electrical cabinet.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My control company had someone get killed this year so now their new policy is to never work in enclosures with live voltage above 24 or 48 or something. I don't know how that's going to work because how the hell do you troubleshoot anything if you can't even put a meter on relays, etc? Everything except their main panel has 120/208 in it here, even just basic VAVs. In practice, the techs are ignoring the rule so they can do their work and maybe just having site staff like me unhook stuff if necessary.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

glynnenstein posted:

My control company had someone get killed this year so now their new policy is to never work in enclosures with live voltage above 24 or 48 or something. I don't know how that's going to work because how the hell do you troubleshoot anything if you can't even put a meter on relays, etc? Everything except their main panel has 120/208 in it here, even just basic VAVs. In practice, the techs are ignoring the rule so they can do their work and maybe just having site staff like me unhook stuff if necessary.
It'll either conveniently fall off the books or the sparky union will take advantage to create a position who's entire job description is positive id testing wires for voltage for instrument techs to make sure just in case the obvious instrument wire isn't carrying 120.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ball mill?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Groda posted:

Ball mill?

Balls of steel.

Balls of steel.

Balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ArcMage posted:

Balls of steel.

Balls of steel.

Balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls
:dukedog:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Do we really transport large steel balls by *squints* wrapping them in a tarp poorly

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-and-Arm-a-Scale-Model-Battleship-From-1/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

suuma posted:

Do we really transport large steel balls by *squints* wrapping them in a tarp poorly

It looks like we transport them by wrapping them well and properly securing them inside the truck, and that neither of those things was done here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This seems perfectly safe.

https://i.imgur.com/WH7Yc8h.mp4

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

RandomPauI posted:

I would say to check Archie McPhee but I don't think that's kooky enough for them.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
ROLL THE BALLS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUL8BwkOS0Y&t=148s

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I do code compliance and the most egregious safety violation I’ve come across was just about like this. Two roller device pulling a sheet through, no spikes but constantly rolling and with high heat in the rollers. No safety covers. No foot actuators, no deadman. Workers had loose fitting garments. Emergency off was six feet away behind a plastic cover.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's not even doing that great of a job

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Relatively speaking I mean.

I had a coconut like that once and it took me a half hour with kitchen tools before I gave up and used an electric drill.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNGpyK9L_6I

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
smh if you dont eat the peel

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yeah but I didn't have access to a pointy stick

All I had was all of modern technology

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

glynnenstein posted:

There’s ways to work in a live panel but it means getting dressed up in all sorts of poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sUnbpRuq4o

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

I do code compliance and the most egregious safety violation I’ve come across was just about like this. Two roller device pulling a sheet through, no spikes but constantly rolling and with high heat in the rollers. No safety covers. No foot actuators, no deadman. Workers had loose fitting garments. Emergency off was six feet away behind a plastic cover.

I got my hand caught in a machine pretty much the same as you describe. It sure is a trip having to tell a coworker how to stop the machine and get your arm out while it's slowly pulling you in. Helped improve safety standards factory wide though when the investigation was done on the plus side!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Vitamins posted:

I got my hand caught in a machine pretty much the same as you describe. It sure is a trip having to tell a coworker how to stop the machine and get your arm out while it's slowly pulling you in. Helped improve safety standards factory wide though when the investigation was done on the plus side!

Was the code to the machine LARA?

Chrono Trigger joke

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My 480 experience was this: we had a machine which had two adjacent control panels, one for motion control, one for combustion control. At times we would lock out the combustion panel while leaving the motion panel operating.

This was perfectly safe in every way. The two panels were completely isolated..... until Dick (not real name, whatever) came along that is. Dick needed to replace a fuse holder in the motion panel but the new one did not fit where the old one was and there was nowhere else to put it. So Dick ran a piece of flexible conduit out the bottom of the panel, across to the other panel and mounted the fuse holder there.

So I lock out the panel, sit down on a bucket and go to work, all the while not knowing that Dick's handiwork was just biding it's time waiting to bite me. And bite me it did, I just happened to contact the fuse holder with my elbow at the same time my hand was on the uninsulated shaft of my screwdriver. In hindsight I probably should have gone to get checked out but whoo but that will at the very least make you take a time out to reevaluate your life.

Tldr: gently caress Dick

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
:catstare:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's going to be a bridge some day anyways :shrug:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The watch is a good idea but the lack of long unbuttoned sleeves and gloves, is a problem. Also, I notice that the drive belt is covered. We always want to make sure that belts are exposed. How else do you take all your skin off in a hurry.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What is that machine even DOING?

Is it meant to be taking the skin off? He throws the skinless part away. It's mulching quite a lot the inner bit.

Is it meant to be grinding the insides? It doesn't do that either as he throws the skinless part away

What does this machine doooooooooo

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

D1Sergo posted:

Was the code to the machine LARA?

Chrono Trigger joke

Oh the feels when you visit her and she gets up to walk around :unsmith:

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRmXp9l_WE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Is it meant to be taking the skin off? He throws the skinless part away. It's mulching quite a lot the inner bit.

Is it meant to be grinding the insides? It doesn't do that either as he throws the skinless part away

He's just throwing the inner shell /meats stuff to the side. that machine does exactly what it's doing, removing the bulky outer husk from the more easily transportable edible bits.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ak Gara posted:

It's a coconut.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/nutswzc.mp4